In what ways is your home town unique from other places you've lived or traveled?

42 37

It's classic Balcan and primitive somewhere, and very modern, even luxurious in some families.
The one thing is the most present: the big place for investing in production in every level of industry, with very hospitable and scared people for their future.

0
2 0

My home town is a sleepy little town in the heart of rural Devonshire. Not quite small enough to be a village but only just on the edge of being a town. I love this town - the safety, lack of crime, its beauty during the summer season and the quain Devonshire accents of the elderly where you have to really listen to understand what they're saying.

For me it's bliss.

0
0 0

I love the small city we are in. Compared to our hometown in the US, it's quite large. Public transportation is fantastic. My kids can and are happy to use it independently. Public parks are pretty, the lake is wonderful, and views are amazing.

0
2 0

My home town is probably the least exciting, the least picturesque and the least noteworthy of all the places I've lived... and yet its home! It's where my family are, the home of my childhood memories, and the place in which I have friends who have been with us through thick and thin. I'm learning that home isn't a location as much as it is just belonging. And right now? We belong here in this little suburb!

0
0 0

My home town is a quaint little place and special mostly because of its scenic surroundings, warm people, small distances and strong networks. I am obviously very biased towards it and like it better than the rest of places i have been to but i am sure it will not disappoint a first time visitor to my town. It has some amazing historical castles, lovely parks, amazing modern structures and busy market places having loads to explore.

0
3 6

Growing up in a small town in North Dakota, nothing can compare to it! It is where I have eaten some of the best meals that cannot be compared to anywhere in the world. I would hang out with my friends and play sports, play games, go to school and just have fun. My home town has my childhood memories and no town will have those special memories.

0
0 0

Where I currently live, quite a small town, there is a just enough to keep us entertained as a family with a few shops, leisure centre and skate park. I'd always lived in larger towns/cities within the UK with amazing retail parks and plenty to see and do and although these are still within easy reach I actually prefer the more rural setting of where we live now. It doesn't take long by car or train to reach theme parks, museums, theatres etc and I feel that my children benefit from a smaller community and better outdoor spaces to play and explore.

0
1 1

I grew up living in small towns in Mississippi, places where everyone not only knew one another, but could also recount in great detail the genealogical chart that interconnected them. I won't say that people weren't nice, because they were, but there was always a divide between me and them that nothing short of a blood relationship could bridge.
At the age of 18 I made the decision to get the heck out of there and I have never looked back. As an adult, I have, for the most part, chosen to live in places that are steeped in history and culture and overflowing with a mosaic of ethnicities. A veritable patchwork quilt of stories and connections where one more mismatched square only added to the colour of the land. I've chosen places that allow me to embrace and exalt my differences rather than hide amongst the wallflowers and hope to blend in. And I love it. And I'll never, ever go back.

0
0 0

It's the place we don't have to try, the place where we are accepted for who we are, the place where nobody stares at Natty becuase she has Down Syndrome because here Natty is just one of the gang.

0
0 0

Our home town is the capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana and we love it, since it's just ther right size and fits all our needs.How could you not love the city famous for the legends of dragons, having a castle sit on top of hill and a river flowing right across the center. There's nothing better than going for a coffee on Saturday mornings and exploring the market trying to decide what you'll make for a perfect weekend meal. From playgrounds to restaurants to museums to stores we have it all and it's so cozy nearby, you get the feel of the big city life without the hassle.

0
0 0

I love England. I love the history which is everywhere you look - from grand and vast castles to the Jurassic coastline. I love the people - their sense of humour and willingness to accept anyone and always support an underdog! And I love the seasons which bathe the hills in sunshine (and often rain!) and provide deep blankets of snow in the winter. I love travelling and finding new places and experiencing new cultures is what I live for...but I also love coming home and for me that will always be to England.

0
0 0

I have two home towns. One is Zagreb, Croatia which is unique because it is a capital, but still small and livable. And it has a huge market in the heart of the city. Main square is always full of people, carrying baskets of fruits and veggies and colorful flowers in their hands. Budapest is where I live. Budapest is crazy, versatile and so full of content and always leaves me feeling I will never be able to do it all.

0
0 0

The city of Bordeaux is an under-rated gem located in the South Western part of France. It is a medium-sized city and in the past 10 years has been modernized, cleaned-up and is now so welcoming to all who live here and visit. It's a vibrant city full of history, beautiful architecture and charm. What makes Bordeaux unique for me is it's splendor and vibrant nature. It's so easy as a family to be downtown in the city center and enjoy it's charm, waterfront, many parks and so many other wonderful things that are going on. There is always family friendly activities happening in and around this city!

It's location makes it a perfect place to live. We are located 45 minutes West from the Atlantic Coast. This makes heading to the beach in the summer, or enjoying the sea air during any season so easy to do for a day trip. The Pyrenees mountains are South of us about 3 hours - again - allowing easy access for weekend ski or hiking trips. To the East is the Dordogne region of France - the cradle of prehistoric man with it's many caves and museums dedicated our evolution as human beings. It is also home to many beautiful castles and fortresses dating back to before the Middle Ages. The natural river valleys of the Dordogne and Vezerve are just beautiful in their own right.

Bordeaux is also surrounded by wineries vineyards - and many famous wines come from this area. Bordeaux also allows easy access either by train or by plane to many places around Europe and beyond.

With all the being said about Bordeaux itself, for me it's also the French lifestyle. The slower pace of life - enjoying family time, being able to be outside pretty much year round. The ease of walking and biking where ever one needs to go. The markets and the fresh food. It's the whole package for us!

Also unique for my family is that since we are expats - we are able to live in "both worlds" here in Bordeaux. We immerse ourselves into daily French life but also enjoy our American roots and speak English as a family. We are able to truly live bi-culturally here. We have French friends and family but there is also a very active and diverse English-speaking population. Bordeaux allows my husband and I to raise world citizens - children who appreciate and learn about different cultures and how diverse the world is becoming. It's nice to be able to call it home.

0
0 0

Although we come from the suburbs of Atlanta, we seem to be drawn only to city life abroad. Everything is much smaller in the city- the cars, the roads, and definitely the houses, but we love it!

0
0 0

First, it depends on what we're calling my "hometown". My husband and I met in Vancouver, and subsequently lived together and married there. He was the stage manager for the show I was performing in. As I sang onstage and generally vamped it up, he was giving me notes like "Stop flirting with the stage manager". Good thing I didn't listen to him!

I guess Vancouver is unique because that's where our story started, where we share a frame of reference. He produced my first one-woman show there, and we are seeking opportunities to do this again. Having two small children makes this goal a lot harder, but he has always supported me and my creative pursuits, and who knows, our plans might take us back to Vancouver for a visit!

Also, the pot. Nowhere else have I been able to get a buzz simply by walking down the street.

0
0 0

When I left home at age 18 to attend college, it was the last time I lived in a house located in the suburbs until now. I lived abroad; I lived in large cities; I lived in high-rise apartments, but not this.

It was the very act of moving into a house with a garden in our little suburb, west of Paris, that made me want to start a blog. I finally felt like I had roots. I finally had something to say.

0
0 0

My home town is special to me because it's the first place I lived with my husband. I have experienced most of my major life moments in this town so it will always be that little bit more special than the other places I've lived.

0
0 0

The town we live in is a large University town, inland. I love it here, there's always so much to do, lots of lovely wooded areas and walks and a gorgeous town centre.

0
0 0

London is the only place I have lived, but having spent time in other places, I know I love where I live! London must be one of the easiest cities in the world to be a Muslim in, or whichever faith you choose to follow. Its also a good place to be a woman of colour – the diversity of this city is such that whatever you look like: Hijabi, Punk, Hasidic, Rastafarian, City Gent, Hare Krishna devotee, Sloane Ranger, you don’t stand out all that much. With the mix of communities come the different villages. As those who live here know, London isn’t a city really, but a series of villages which have collided with each other.

It’s a city with such great strength of spirit. The 7/7 attacks happened in London on a Thursday and the city was back on its feet and back to work on the same tube system on Monday. No whinging, no shutting the place down, two-finger salute to the perpetrators and back to business. The Blitz Spirit was alive and well and I felt so proud that Monday of my city. There are so many amazing places around the word, but none like London.

0
0 0

My hometown is Warsaw, Poland. It is unique because all the beauty is inside. On the outside, it is a grey, big city where people are always in a hurry. If you get to know it, however, you will find beatiful spots, wonderful cafes, lots of culture and shopping oportunities. We now live in the Netherlands- a country that is also unique because of its beauty- most towns here are old and very pretty, with lots of canals and bridges. This is especially the case with Delft that was our home for a while. In the Hague (we live close to there) there are many international institutions, shopping centres, and international schools- it's a big city and I love living close to it.

0
12 8

I was born in Iasi, Romania so this is my birth home town.
Iasi has been unique throughout its history and a multinational hub of political activity since its early days. It had an important role to play as the residence town of the first Romanian school, a Greek diaspora revolutionary center in the 19th century and capital of Moldova(not the Republic!) at various stages. Was targeted by Turks, Russians and Germans throughout its history. Iasi was marred by the Holocaust as early as 1941(we have touching stories running in the family history of my very pregnant granny positioning herself between a German soldier and a Jewish friend, hiding in her home).
Nowadays, Iasi is a unique blend of traditional and modern: shopping centers rivaling those in any modern European city mix with traditional family values and habits to create a unique town definitely worth visiting!
Although a big city, the pace is slow ( the "Ieseni" are famous for their calm demeanor) and there are plenty of spots (Copou park comes to mind) where you can enjoy a family day/evening out nursing a cool beer, in the company of good friends!

0
4 0

There are just over 2,000 people in my little village. It's seriously small. It's a great place for kids, everyone knows each other and it's safe. There are lots of small towns like ours in Europe, but I would not live anywhere else.

0