What is your family's bedtime routine?

Does Dad help out at bedtime, too? What is your night time routine to get ready for bed?

1 11

I am a proud mother of 6-1/2 year old boy/girl twins. Because they start school by 7:50 am I have them skip the naps they use to take last year and simply put them to bed early. Yes, dad helps out with the routine unless he is out of town. We start getting ready for bed at 7pm. We use two different bathrooms for the bedtime routine. They brush teeth, use diluted mouthwash, use the restroom and pick out a book to read. My husband tucks in one on one night and the next night he tucks in the other. We switch off. Whichever one we tuck in that night is the one we help with the evening routine. If it's the girl we make sure we braid her hair, watch her brush teeth properly, make sure she goes potty, and we listen to her read for 20 minutes. She says her prayer then I say a prayer and then the lights are out by 7:30pm. Sometimes it goes to 7:45 pm but they are knocked out by 8pm. The goal is always to start at 7pm. It's such a beautiful feeling to hear your children learn from the prayer you say after them every evening. The next thing you know, they are praying for others and thanking God for so many things. On nights that we are running late, we skip the book and just take turns praying and kiss them good night.

7
6 2

My DH does the bath, to give me some "me time" and then knocks on the floor ( LOL) For me to join them in dressing and singing before bed, we brush our teeth together as a family and fly her into bed!!

1
7 0

I am a keeper at home with a 5 year old autistic son and a 3 year old daughter. I also keep three other children, ages 7, 3 and 3 on a weekly basis. Since I have kids all day long while he sleeps after working all night, my husband takes over at bathtime and bedtime. As long as he is able, he loves doing the baths and reading to them at night, and I love letting him. My kids have always slept in their own beds, and once they are put down, at approximately the same time every night, they do not get out of bed. For my son's sake, who thrives on a routine, we set the timer and let the kids talk, play or read IN BED for 15 minutes. When the timer goes off, all talking and playing ends and they sleep. They also sleep the entire night, Praise the Lord!

0
0 0

Help! I have 2 boys ages 4 and 2. Both are really good sleepers and as babies were sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. They have always had their own beds and bedrooms. We let them watch one show, then brush teeth, potty and a few books before getting in to bed around 8pm. I agree that consistency is key. However, 2 months ago we had to combine them into one room. our youngest was still in a crib so we would put him down first and he would normally be asleep by the time the 4 yr old went to be 30 min later. Well this worked until the 2 year old started climbing out of his crib. Last night we put him down at 8:30. He was up every minute horsing around, bugging his brother, pulling books off the shelf, slamming the door, etc. We kept putting him back to bed and eventually had to sit in there with him to keep him in bed. the 4 year old conked out at 10 nand the 2 year old finally passed out at midnight. Wish us luck tonight. Any advise would be most welcome.

0
37 45

Put two year old in his own bed, and keep putting him back until he goes to sleep, while this is taking effect put four year old to sleep in your room at normal time then once two year old asleep lift him through, this way you won't interfere with four year olds routine. And usually after a week all shoulkd go back to normal. Good luck!

0 0

We have 8 year old twins boy/girl....I bathe the kids after homework is done and always before dinner. After dinner they have about 20 minsw of free time. We give a 10 min. heads up that bedtime is coming and that is when they are in charge of checking off their chore chart for the day....(dave ramsey..good stuff) Then Dad gets the water for the night and I oversee the brushing of teeth. We then go into our son's room for prayers and Daddy stays and talks with our son while I take our daughter to here bed and have a little end of the day conversation with her. Then we switch off.....great way to end our day.

0
0 5

I have five children ranging from 21 years old down to four..I have always done bedtime my hubby works away for long periods so it's easier if I do it.The younger ones that is 12,10,8 and 4 are all bathed and teeth brushed by 6-30 and then in bed by 6-45,the youngest has two bedtime stories and is asleep by 7,the 8 year old reads until 7-15,the 10 year old until 7-30 and the the 12 year old turns!out his light at 8 pm and they are usually asleep very soon after that.Ata weekend theroutine is more relaxed but I have ways believed that they need a good nights sleep on school nights and I have to say I have never had any problem getting my children to bed.It was the same routine when our eldest was little.

0
37 45

I have 18months between my boys my eldest went to bed at 8pm from 2days old until he was about 16months, then I had some family issues and my second son was born, he was up every hour for 3months which upset every routine I had, my youngest vomitted an awful lot, so when he was big enough to move to a cot he ended up in bed with me, it wasn't until he was over two that I managed to get back to a bedtime routine. Now he is nearyly 3 and my eldest now 4andahalf, the youngest goes down between 1700 and 1830 I lie in bed with him he usually takes 5mins to goto sleep, my eldest goes to his bed by himself and usually takes around 30mins to goto sleep but can take longer, but he does complain I don't put him to sleep so sometimes I lie with him. Bedtime now is easier but there are night where they play up and keep each other awake even from seperate rooms! The best thing to remember is to be consistant and they will learn bedtime IS bedtime.

0
37 45

When they goto dads house they are awake until they drop! My youngest still goes to sleep early but the eldest can stay up after 10pm but will try and lie later in bed!

14 0

Yes I have a wonderful husband that helps, if he is not away for business. We alternate children which works well. Our 5 year old baths himself and 3 year old is starting to. But we are both there to spend time with them. Brush teeth, jammies on, choose story, last bathroom visit and into bed. No getting out of bed unless for toilet or an emergency. It works well. All finished by 7:45. When the boy starts school next year we will start pulling bedtime a little earlier.

0
711 9

For the majority of the time in my past marriage, I was the responsible one for my children's bedtime routine. There were times when I was active in community organizations and when I was running for public office that the duty fell into my husband's hands.

My routine was bath, pajamas, brushing teeth, into bed and storytime. That was every night that I covered the process. In honesty, I cannot say what happened in my absence.

0