What are your favorite books for a toddler?

Everyone loves story time, and it's well established that being read stories helps young ones develop their language skills. So what are your favorite books for toddler story time?

13 20

We love the Llama Llama books, and the Dinosaur series. How do dinosaurs say goodnight, how do dinosaurs eat their food etc. He also loves any picture books.

3
5 14

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do you See? By Eric Carle
Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton
Goodnight Moon by Brown

3
2 51

Snuggle Puppy is a favorite in this house too, although I don't get the attraction of Goodnight Moon.

9 9

Sandra Boynton Books...awesome, fun...

Dr. Suess

3
25 23

I recently bought the "I love you Stinky Face" collection! My two year old likes to help "read" the story with me! She can recite the child's lines in the story! We also have been getting into Llamma llamma books!! She also recites the line: Please stop all this llamma Drama and be good for your Momma!" When she is in trouble!! AND We are enjoying any "look and find" book. Makes for fun learning "Find the chickens!" "Now count the chickens!" You can add so many more things to the books, not just what they ask you to look for! We read everynight before bed, and throughout the day she is constantly bringing me books to read to her!

2
1 4

My son loves "I Love You Stinky Face" he also helps read the kids part

0 7

LLAMA LLAMA ALL THE WAY i love them!

1
0 5

Oh No, Gotta Go! It's my three-year-old son's favorite book! It's awesome because it's bilingual and an excellent way to get started with a second language by mixing sentences in English with words/sentences in Spanish.

1
0 0

Dinosaurumpus and The Hairy Maclary Books

1
262 7

My kids LOVE to read and we have tons of books but these are some of my 3 year olds favorites. "The Pout, Pout Fish", "Bear in Underwear", "There's a Wocket in My Pocket", "Llama, Llama Misses Mama", "Don't Eat the Babysitter", "My Mouth is a Volcano", "Bark, George" and "Each Peach, Pear Plum".

1
53 7

We love to read and have a zillion books, but some favorites are Skippy John Jones, Bubble Trouble, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, Dr. Seuss' Wocket in my Pocket, Mr. Brown Can Moo, and Cat in the Hat; Peter Rabbit and other Beatrix Potter stories. I LOVE Leo Leoni stories like Frederick and Alexander and the Wind Up Mouse. Curious George is good. Visitor for Bear is a favorite. In the Night Kitchen and Where the Wild things Are by Maurice Sendak, ROCK, and we also love the Little Bear books which he illustrated. Giraffe and a Half is a riot by Shel Silverstein. Chicka Chicka Boom boom is fun, Kitten's First Full Moon, Duck Rabbit is a winner. OK, that's enough. But I will say that I find Eric Carle kinda vapid, even though the pictures are nice. my kids don't like the one Llama llama book we've got, and yeah, we've even got those Cars books from Disney, cause if they're interested in it and the message isn't awful, we read it, whether I like it or not.

1
2 25

I Just bought a whole heap of books from book depository UK - THE best online book store, so cheap and they have everything!! Best stories that my daughter LOVES and u will love too are , The Gruffalo, Room on the broom, lift the flap fairy tales like Cinderella, jack n the beanstalk, 3 little pigs etc, Going on a bear hunt, Henny Penny.... Story time is so much fun at this age cos they love to read along and get so excited about what's going to happen next!

1
2 25

Where is the green sheep is a good one too! Thank you for all your recommendations I'm buying books online now.. :-)

12 21

The very hungry caterpillar, good night moon, and I love you this much.

1
3 4

I love to read my kids the classics. I just know that the quality will be there and I enjoy the nostalgia. Some of our old favorites are Jamboree, Chloe and Maude, the Spooky Old Tree. Now that my oldest is almost five we are working on reading a little more. He did really well with "Happy Pig Day" by Mo Willems. Had to buy some new books because he already knew most of our Dr. Suess early readers.

http://avinashhecker.blogspot.com/2013/04/favorite-books.html

0
14 27

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom was a favorite of three out four of mine so far, the youngest is one so she will love it soon too! Also she loves Do Princesses Count?

0
1,510 49

My daughters favorite book is The Nine Lives of Adventure Cat by Susan Clymer. Its a short chapter book, but has always been her favorite since I first read it when she was 3 months old.

0
8 3

My 5 year old's favorite book when she was 2 was "Are You My Mother?" from the Dr. Suess early reader series. I would read it to her every night with voices. She eventually got to do one of the voices, which made the entire family laugh when they saw her "read". Another of her favorites is the "Olivia" books by Ian Faulkner (her name is Olivia).

0
27 4

I love books. Truely my son doesn't need anymore books yet I still purchase them. I love anything by Eric Carle, Eric Kimmel, Dr. Suess. The grey lady and the strawberry snatcher, I love picture books. Hug, feely books like Pat the bunny or That's not my .... thick books are the way to go with toddlers since they are rough. Real thick books. What can I see my son has a ton and of course I kept mine as a child so he has those too. I am a teacher, so whever the school has a book fair... or scholastic warehouse has a sale or I go to half price book or......

0
27 4

so many books so little time.

0 27

Author Peter Bentley has four books called, "Twin Trouble", "Look Out, Cub!", "Ella's Bath", and "Banana Monster". All of these books are actual pictures of the particular animals with the rest of the page filled in with colorful drawings to make up the background. He loves these books so much that although he cannot read yet, he's 3, he can "read" to you the first 5-6 pages of "Look Out, Cub" because he has it practically memorized.

0
0 9

Dr. Seus junior versions of classics like There's a Wocket in My Pocket, Mr.. Brown Can Moo, The Foot Book, Hop on Pop, etc The poetic rhymes help my 3 yr. old memorize the stories so he can "read" to himself!

0
0 10

Eric Carle's books:Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? His book about Cloud

0
0 9

Right now my son is into Silly Tilly, its a rhyming story about a silly duck on a farm, and Goodnight Moon another rhyming story about a bunny going to sleep and saying goodnight to everything in the room, its cute. Another fav, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do you See? He also likes Disneys Cars books...

0
16 14

I've found my barely-2 year old loves anything with the sing-song of rhyming to it. Because of that, she's a huge Dr. Seuss fan, and as the holidays are approaching, she's in love with The Night Before Christmas. Of course, now she's walking around the house telling us that Santa brings her toys... ;-)

0
21 15

My 2yr old son's favorite books are "5 little monkeys", "The very hungry caterpillar", "boo-hoo boo-boo", and "kiss goodnight". Truthfully, any reasonably short book is great as long as you make it interactive. Both my 2 yr old (25months) and my 10 month old love the touch and feel books. Every little thing that gets them involved is great!

0
64 80

My 22 month old Kylie loves the following: I Love You Little One by Tafuri, Flip Flap Fly by Root, Where oh where is Huggle Buggle Bear by Sully. She also loves many "classics" like Goodnight Moon, Very Hungry Caterpillar, Polarbear What Do You Hear?, and Dr. Suess' ABC's.

0
2 30

My daughters favourites have changed over the years. (She's now Three) Early favourites were "Dear Zoo" by Rod Campbell & "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" by Eric Carle....now she loves the "Hairy Maclary" series by Lynley Dodd and the "Feelings series" by Trace Moroney.
I'm very passionate about all kids learning to read..and have blogged about the authors that give toddlers the best star at http://learningtogetherhappily.blogspot.com/

0
39 11

My 3 year old absolutely LOVES her Word Bird book collection :)

0
32 42

The Hungry Caterpillar, Mr Men, The Gruffalo and any books that rhyme work really well.
And for some really gorgeous books here, maybe for a bit older: http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2011/11/21/best-childrens-books-2011/

0
6 22

Everyone poops and brown bear brown bear what Do u see

0
32 42

Everyone Poops is brilliant. Pooing is such an integral part of health and so taboo, so it's nice to see an author turn this taboo around into a very normal part of everyone's day. My son loves making the sounds, a bit hard explaining to him about the flies (that is almost too yuck!) ;)

21 18

brown bear brown bear what do you see is a great one , we're going on a bear hunt is also a fav along with goodnight moon , dinosaurs love underpants and possum magic :)

0
47 21

So many great books out there for this age range. My 3 1/2 year old enjoys the"if you give a" series, tacky the penguin. Bernstein bears, aurthur, bears picnic, chandra wilsons bookd, and sandra button boytin. Ok I admit some of those are more my favorites

0
3 23

My daughters really like "Brown bear, brown bear what do you see?", "Goodnight moon", and any of the books from the Pocket Change series or the Magic School Bus.

0
5 27

My daughter loves the toddler look and finds. We talk about the pictures and look for the objects.

0
16 14

My son (26mo) loves Rainbow Fish, Teaser and the Firecat, and his longest lasting favorite, "Where's Spot?"

0
2 7

Dr. Suess books such as "Mr. Brown can moo, can you?

0
18 13

Goodnight Gorilla. My son was almost 2 when I started reading it to him. Within literally a couple of weeks, HE was reading it to me. He knew that book inside & out. I have recommended it to everyone, and have bought it for 1st or 2nd birthdays! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

0
2 51

We've recently discovered a series of board books by Olivier Dunrea about a group of (small, yellow) goslings (who wear brightly-colored boots) named Gossie, Gertie, Ollie, Peedie etc. My 2-yr-old LOVES them and can identify all the characters. If I didn't know she'd memorized the one titled "Gossie" I'd swear she knew how to read already. Good lessons about things like sharing, making friends etc. that are just perfectly, inherently woven into the stories without having to hit you over the head with the message.

0
3 0

My 3yr old loves these too...I first found the "Goosie" one at the library and ended up getting her the set last Christmas. The one on Ollie helped her at the end of my pregnancy we would laugh that the baby "Won't come out!"

13 7

My son loves anything lightning mcqueen and is getting into anything disney. I think any books are good as long as you talk to your child about the colurs, shapes, ask them to point things out et.

0
9 15

Curious George books, Eric Carle's Very Hungry Caterpillar and Mixed up Chameleon, and Winnie the Pooh, the vintage ones (circa 1935) and the revised ones, Henry and Mudge series.

0
5 20

Anything that has vehicles in it my son loves it for example: Thomas the tank engine, Thats not my car, bob the builder etc

0
3 4

My 2yr old loves books!! I love to read to her. Everynight she picks a book for me to read and as soon as I'm done with that one she gets another one. If I didn't give her a bed time we would probably read all night. But right now her favorites are "The Loudest Roar" by Thomas Taylor, Disney's "Mulan" and "Cinderella", and Dr. Suess "ABC's" and "Fox in Sox." I've gotten very good at making different sounds and voices. She gets very into the books as I read them. I'm so happy that she will pick a book to read over playing with toys all the time. :-)

0
3 4

Sometimes my daughter will get a book while I'm doing something else start to try and read it. Since we read them so much she has them memorized. It brings a smile to my face and I get so proud of her reading the story to herself. She's been trying to read books to herself since she was about 9 months. And I am still amazed of how much she has improved. What can I say? I'm a very proud momma!! LOL! :-)

3 0

I love love love reading "The Sleepy Little Alphabet: A Bedtime Story from Alphabet Town" to my 3yr old and she loves it too! We have both memorized the book and sometimes say it aloud together... I hated reading "A Potty For Me" (I cursed the day her grand mom got it for her) but she loved it and she would want to read it even after she was fully potty trained....

0