What are your favorite summer activities for kids?

Summer can sometimes seem like the longest season, with children home from school and the heat sometimes being really intense. What are some of your favorite summer activities for your children to help beat the heat and occupy their time?

12 20

my kids always liked a bucket of plain water and a paintbrush to paint the house/fence/concrete driveway and it just dries away but in the high heat of the day the drive is too hot so we put food dye in the bath with bubbles, they can sit in the bath to play or sit outside if they have sensitive skin or if the colour is too strong and they might get out with coloured legs, They think its funny when that happens. We have cups, scoops, icecream tubs with holes in the bottom so they can hold it up and watch the rain. They get to cool of even if they are not in the water as the bathroom is usualy the cooloest room in the house even on a hot day. For older kids we have movie marathons on bean bags with a fan going. they get a spray bottle of water each and when they feel they need an extra cool down they spray themselves (or each other, like an indoor version if a water balloon fight) and the cool air from the fan seems even cooler. Later in the day when the sun is not so strong we have a family water balloon fight. It is usualy something they look forward too and it waters the lawn a bit after a hot day. Hope this helps. Kids and parents can get so irritable when they are hot.

1
12 20

Also I have tried to suggest things that are inexpensive that can be done at home as I can rarely afford to take all the kids out and I have children ranging from 22 to 7, so I am paying adult admission for some to get into places too. Roller skating is awesome though we do that all year round as Myself and one of my daughters play roller derby.

1 0

I signed my kids up for improv classes! They love them and they are only for a week and it's very reasonable! My child had so much fun and we even play the games at home which is fun for the whole family! I took them to Chicago City Limits...http://www.chicagocitylimits.com/training.html

0
1

basketball swimming

0
28 0

Well, this is what I did this summer with my 2 and 6 year old sons in the heat of South Louisiana:

Watercolor painting, let them play in the kiddie pool, went to the library, visited the grandparents, went to the zoo and park either first thing in the morning or after dinner in the evening, spray park, children's museum, indoor playgrounds are great! My six year old did a one week day camp at the local Waldorf school. My two year old loves to play with the water in the sink. He stands on a sturdy step stool next to me while I do dishes. Blow bubbles. My six year old and I also played lots of board games: Connect Four, Monopoly, card games, Candyland, Trouble; Walk in the Woods is a fun cooperative game. Bake muffins, let them help in the kitchen. Early in the summer we went blueberry picking. Our summer actually went by too fast!

0
40 0

Hi all you mom's out there! I'm a student doing research about how Mom's buy fast food for their children and trying to make improvements in the industry. If you guys have a minute to spare to take my survey (and perhaps pass it along to your friends :) ) that would be awesome! Thanks so much!
:)

https://docs.google.com/a/macalester.edu/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dENycVJCV0hoNXI5dmExRU1uR1paLXc6MQ

0
5 0

Stay indoors between about 11 and 2. If you swim make sure you know about ear infections and that they are a result of water in the ear. If baby is too small to say anything, DO NOT put head in water for long!! NO swim lessons for baby, sorry!!!!

Crafts are a great thing especially from recyclables. It is amazing how many hours young hands can stay busy with a couple of drawers full of good safe markers and tp tubes, old paper, yarns, strings, sticks, stones.... My daughter supervised a lot of kids in our home both in Reno and Dallas where summers are HOT and polluted.

0
8 20

Repeating some favorites, swimming, sprinklers, baby pool fun at the bottom of the slide or under the swings (even the 5 year old loves this). Don't forget your local movie theaters should have cheap early kid show. Your Local church Vacation Bible Camp is an awesome idea. Roller skating rinks are fun, especially if they host a toddler skate, and if you have a music in motion program available in your area that is great for little ones. City water parks, splash pads, and pools (inexpensive admission only) have all helped us pass the time this summer. I am super excited for the 5 year old, next week she starts dance camp that all the grandparents chipped in for, YAY!

0
1 0

Swimming, sprinkler fun with squirt guns.

0
4 20

We enjoy watering the garden. I fill up a big bucket that they can then fill up their own watering cans from and let them go at it. They normally get very wet, but a good way to beat the heat!

0
4 20

My daughter spends her day during the week at the Boys and Gils club while i work. They have a lot of avtivities for the kids. Since I live in Socal (Southern Cali) we do a lot of beach activities, parks, swimming, amusement parks, and indoor activities such as games n indoor parks.

0