What are your thoughts on the Nuva Ring?

Choosing what type of birth control to use can be an overwhelming task. If you have ever tried the Nuva Ring, what has your experience been like? What should other moms know who are considering trying the Nuva Ring?

0 3

I'm currently using Nuva Ring, & I've had good results. It has helped regulate my cycle & also have lighter cycles.

2
41 21

I was on Nuva Ring for 6 months after my first child. It was weird. I didn't have side-effects with it and I never got pregnant on it, but the whole idea was just awkward. Nevertheless I did it and it worked out pretty well. However, there were some issues. Like it wouldn't stay in. I'm pretty petite and have been told by several gynos that I'm rather "small" down there so it barely fit in the first place and it kept popping out. Also, my husband finally started to complain about it saying he could "feel" it and that it "chaffed". So I had to switch. I wasn't really on it long enough to notice any changes in my period or mood, and if not for a few "size" issues I probably would have stayed on it. :/

1
0 0

I preferred depo to nuva ring I was on depo for almost 9 years before I was told I couldn't use it anymore. Then I was out on nuva ring it was ok for the first 6 months but awkward to use. Then after 6 months I bled continuously for a month and a half so I quit using it. I bled for two weeks after I quit using it then went on a pill. That was the only side effect I had with it

0
0 0

NUVA RING was horrible for me was on it and got into a state of deep deep depression and anxiety. Read the reviews of it related to depression. The hormones in it are not good.

0
0 0

I've been on the Nuvaring for about 2.5 months. For the first month I was very irritable and had a lower sex drive. I was also slightly queasy throughout the first month. The Nuva Ring website says that the ring can't get lost inside of you, but it can go up really far. A couple days after first trying the Nuvaring, I thought it had fallen out because I couldn't find it. I ended up inserting a second one and spent the following two days extremely exhausted and moody. Later in the first month, the ring slipped out without me realizing it, and then when I realized the ring was gone and put in new one, after a few weeks I started getting the same symptoms as if I were pregnant; bloating, spotting, even sensitive smell. This scared me; although after doing my research I realized that symptoms of using Nuva Ring and being pregnant can overlap, and then I had my period, what if I had become pregnant and didn't realize it for months? I'm still going to keep using Nuvaring, though, because it's becoming more convenient (I'm not always worrying if it's slipped out), my husband doesn't feel it during intercourse, and most of all my symptoms have finally disappeared.

0
1

0
0 0

I was very unhappy with Nuva Ring. It came out almost every time I had sex; luckily myself or my partner noticed it in the sheets. I also had some sort of allergic reaction to it, as it cause me a lot of irritation and pain while using it. I don't think it is a practical method for someone who is sexually active.

0
53 0

I used NuvaRing for 3 1/2 years and liked it. It wasn't hard to remember to put it in and take it out - much easier than remembering to take a pill. My husband never complained about it either. However, I do think it caused mild migraines. I started getting them about a year after I started using NuvaRing and they went away a year after I stopped using it. I can't speak to its effectiveness, though, since we later found out that my husband is sterile. At least I don't have to spend any more money on birth control!

0
3 0

I hated the Nuva Ring; I had it for two cycles. The bacteria growth developed from the Nuva Ring made my vagina smell like something died... worst smell ever. I got rid of it because you can't run from yourself!

0
0 61

I loved the Nuva Ring! It was easy, and comfortable, and even though my husband said he could feel it, he said it just felt like a smooth ridge. The only reason I stopped it was because my health insurance changed, and my co-pay for it shot up to $50 a month. Whoa! So after I had my first child, I switched to the Mirena IUD. Love it!!! Sweet Freedom!!!

0
0 0

Oral BC made me queasy and I was tired of the everyday routine so I tried the ring. It was a bit awkward putting it in, but nothing seriously difficult.
A few hours after having sex, my boyfriend slid his hand across the bed sheet and found the ring. White sheets + clear ring = invisible. Neither of us had even realized it had come out! Can you imagine if we hadn't found it for days? I certainly felt it go in so I don't know how we didn't feel it come out - but yikes! Also, whereas the pill made me queasy, the ring made me out right violently ill. One night the nausea was bad enough to wake me up and have to RUN for the toilet. I took it out for good (after I was done throwing up :(

0
2 0

After weaning my 2nd, my cycle was completely out of whack - the never ending constant period. I went through 3 or 4 different pills over 20 months w/o results. As a last ditch effort, my OB/GYN put me on the Nuva Ring. By my 2nd month I was back to a normal cycle. Then I was lighter & lighter.... and that was 3 yrs ago. I really love it - the convenience... the barely there period - no more cramps or monthly breakouts. I do have to mark it on my calendar or I forget. Interesting on the sex drive comment - I'm going to search for more feedback on that.

0
13 25

When I was on it for a few months, it got to the point where I didn't really have periods... which sounded fine to me until I went off of it, wanting to get pregnant with my husband. Then, I nearly had a never-ending period. My doc had to put me on the pill to straighten out what the ring screwed up. Years later, I wondered more what exactly modern chemical birth control methods were actually doing. While on the pill, ring, or other similar chemical method of birth control, your risks of ectopic pregnancy are actually significantly higher than when the first pills came out (only the original pills actually worked like they tell you). This means that you are still releasing eggs that can become embryos. The chemical birth control methods are pretty effective at preventing implantation of embryonic humans, though. When I found that out, I was sick and immediately had to stop using the chemicals. I'm actually much more balanced now, using natural methods of eliminating PMS, and with barrier methods and better knowledge, I haven't been surprised by a pregnancy that I wasn't hoping for.

0
13 25

I was on the ring for over a year.

0 1

I got pregnant with my daughter while using NuvaRing as directed. I wouldn't recommend it.

0
64 13

I loved Nuvaring, it's easy to insert and convenient not having to remember to take a pill. Plus when we decided we wanted to for our first child I got pregnant during my first ring free cycle

0
13 17

I think it works well. Keeps periods lighter, regular, and it even helped me with my adult acne that is caused by my hormone levels. But you do have to set up a reminder to remove and insert again. I love the convience of not having to take a pill everyday!

0
657 16

i liked it but it made me feel like i was hungry and sleepy all the time. I never wanted sex.

0
0 0

I have been using nuvaring for only 2 months. I had terrible constipation the whole time. Now I feel better and less emotional too

0
33 23

I was on the nuva ring as a last result from my doctor. At the time it was the only thing that could regulate my cycle. At first the hormones in it made me very emotional and my husband and I came close to splitting up because of it. After being on it for three months I finally leveled out. My periods were barely there and once I had reached the leveled out phase nothing really seemed to bother me or even get me angry at all. The main complaint that I do have with the nuva ring is that it kills the sex drive and it made sex less enjoyable for me. It wasn't because of how it was inserted or anything it just seemed to have a numbing effect all over. Each person is different though.

I would also like to say that while most people do use birth control to prevent pregnancy there are others that use it to get pregnant as well. I have a disease that if I want to get pregnant I HAVE to take birth control just to make sure that my ovaries ovulate like they should. This is not something that they tell you when prescribing birth control, so if you are on it and thinking that you are 100% safe from pregnancy because of it think again. You CAN get pregnant on birth control, it does not matter what kind you take.

0
0 24

I began using Nuvaring after I had a miscarriage. My husband and I decided we didn't want anymore children at that time but I didn't want to tie my tubes. At first it worked great. Then I found out I was pregnant with my son. So in my opinion becareful if you don't want kids right now.

0
0 3

i have been on it since after the birth of my daughter. she is now 8. i love it! it
keeps my periods regular.

0
0 0

I have been using it to assist with heavy cycles. I do not need it for birth control, because I have had a Tubal. The only bad side effect is irritation to the private area, but that I can live with. Have to say that I love it!

0
0 0

I used this for a few months after I had my third child. My cycles were still very irregular, so I switched back to the pill I had been on for years. I had no problems with it and I did not think it was difficult to keep track of my schedule (when to insert and remove).

0
0 0

I've been using it for 5 months now. Pro's: Regulated my very irregular cycle, eliminated the migrane headaches that used to last for days, reduced bleeding to almost nothing (before I used to fill a super plus in 10 minutes), and my husband didn't even know until I told him Con's: Weight gain - I've gained about 5-7 lbs and feel every bit of it.

I'm going to contact my doctor about a lower dose so maybe that will help the weight gain.

My tip: When you put your nuva in, enter in your calendar the day you have to take it out and the day you have to put a new one in at the same time. It will be the only way you remember you have it!

0
0 1

It has the potential to cause an abortion. That is, if it doesn't stop you from ovulating and you end up with a fertilized egg, it will prevent the egg from implanting.

0
41 21

True, but then most birth control options do that. It's a back up, just in case you do make it to fertilization. So I would be careful with any kind of birth control if that's something you are concerned with.