What are your thoughts on swaddling?

Many moms swear by swaddling as an essential parenting tool. What do you think? And what is your best method for swaddling your baby?

3 18

We swaddled my son at every nap and night for his first 5 months. He slept well, and was sleeping through the night earlier than his friends who weren't swaddled. I like the kiddopotamus swaddleme because the hook and loop closure didn't come undone with his wiggling.

1
5 18

We swaddled our daughter and she LOVED it. She didnt sleep through the night until we started swaddling her. Then she slept like a champ!

1
0 0

I don't do it at all my daughter HATES it she likes to be able to kick around while she sleeps. I was also reading a new study that's says swaddling may actually be bad for babies' hips.

0
3 0

I swaddled my son until he was 3 months. I had to stop because he had learnt to roll over and kept getting stuck because his arms were wrapped up in the blanket. Before that he couldn't sleep without being swaddled, even in the hot weather we were experiencing. Thank goodness for air con! Once he started to roll over, i weaned him from being swaddled by just lightly putting the sheet around him enough so that he could wiggle his way out very easily.

0
6 30

Swaddling was the only way we could get our newborn to sleep for the first 3 months...but I was always very nervous about it because the hospital told us not to swaddle at home due to the SIDS risk. My advice is just be sure that the baby does not get too hot and the the blanket is away from their face.

0
37 19

I am the mom of 5 that learned how to swaddle my children from day 1 and I am thankful that I did. It made it easy for me to make sure that they weren't sleeping on their backs or stomachs and they seemed to enjoy it more than without the swaddling. My oldest and middle children were summer babies and we just swaddled them with receiving blankets . I tried to just lightly cover them and they were jumpy so we went back to swaddling. I wrapped the corner of the right side over them, tucking behind them and making sure not to have it too tight around their little arms, then brought the bottom up and tucked it along with the first side. Bring the left side over and around them and you're done. If you need a little extra because it's cold just don't fold the top corner over as far. Worked with square and rectangle blankets.

0
141 17

Love swadlling and love Swaddle Designs as the blankets are so big that allow you to swaddle as your infant grows. It resembles the womb to your lo and, as a result, they sleep better, deeper, and longer!

0
141 17

I also loved the miracle blanket. It kept my boys swaddled all night long!

6 24

I didn't do it much, but when my youngest was really fussy it helped. I was never taught to do it with the older 2, but after my little one was born my hubby and i went to a video workshop hosted by WIC and that was one of 5 tricks highly recommended for fussy and even colicy babies to help them feel safe and comforted. You think about it, they spend 9 months confined in the womb, thats al they've ever known and they are perfectly happy and cuddled, and then all of a sudden they are expected to be happy with no confinement at all! As we know with discipline appropriate boundaries are comforting to a child to help them grow until they can handle freedom, so physically babies can need the assistance for transitioning into physical freedom so to speak. Some do, some don't, but it can be very helpful if you are having trouble settling an infant, particularly around 6 weeks when crying tends to peak.

0
5 25

My daughter hates being swaddled, shhates her hands and arms being covered!

0
50 0

We tried to swaddle both our son and our daughter, but they didn't like it. They liked their hands to be free, but my nieces and nephew loved it.

0
13 4

I have two boys, and both of them were swaddle babies. It's just like curling up tight with a blanket, which I still do as an adult.

0