What are your three favorite picture books for children? (please specify the age range)

0 0

"Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born" by Jamie Lee Curtis (age 3+)

"Goodnight Gorilla" by Peggy Rathmann (age 1 - 6 years)

"Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch (1 - 6 years)

1
1 0

Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy by David Soman and Jacky Davis (Pre-k-grade school):

Imagination is contagious, especially on the playground. Two friends, who can’t agree on anything to play, discover the super hero within. Dragon fighting, super powers and compromise.

Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle (toddler-preK):

Simple and comforting illustrations and more story line than cow says moo. The little blue truck along with his farm animal friends shows how to be a friend to the big dump truck, even when he’s not so nice.

Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss (for all ages):

Classic Seuss. Life will be hard and bring many troubles; it will also be filled with laughter and fun. In the end, anything is possible if you never give up. Still a great reminder to me as an adult, I always give this book as a High School graduation gift.

0
1 0

Everything in the "In My..." series ("In My Pond", "In My Den", etc.) by Sara Gillingham & Lorena Siminovich
Fun and interactive, yet short and sweet, each book features an animal finger puppet you can wiggle from the back, while turning the pages. Eachends with the baby animal in their home (be it nest, pond, den, etc.) with their family. What I found unique about this is that the two “parents” don’t have gender-specific features (like eyelashes, bow ties, etc) to show they are “mommy” and “daddy.” This allows me to read these to my son (who has 2 dads), pointing out at the end which bird, fish, bear, etc. represents Papa and which represents Daddy, without it being confusing to him. Other than the fact that we’re, you know, animals. Also fun for kids with opposite sex parents! :)

"Creature ABC" by Andrew Zuckerman
A gorgeously simple book of animal photography. The dramatic photos elicit the most dramatic animal noises from our 2 year old, and you can tell he gets a little excited/nervous every time we get close to the L page. He often kisses the photo of the roaring lion, just to make sure it doesn’t pounce. (There's also a related floor puzzle!)

"Daddy, Papa, and Me" by Lelea Newman & Carol Thompson
Best book yet I've found portraying a 2 dad family. Fun, sweet, and reflective of real families — in that the 2 dads are exhausted at the end of a long day playing with their toddler! "Mommy, Mama, and Me" also available.

0
0 0

My three favorite picture books for military families are:

Night Catch by Brenda Ehrmantraut
This book speaks specifically to deployment and how you can still connect with each other even though you are miles apart. (Ages 3-10)

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
This book tells about a racoon's anxiety to be separated from his mother and what she does to ensure he always feels her love where they are together or not. There is also a fabulous website that will give you a ton of ideas too! (Ages 2-10)

Daddy Will You Miss Me? By Wendy McCormick & Jennifer Eachus
This books tells the story of a family going through a deployment and the box their child makes to share with his Dad upon his return. It has suggestions and ideas at the back too. (Ages 3-8)

0
0 0

My Subway Ride (ages 4+)
Goodnight Moon (birth up)
Trains (birth up)

These are my twinnies favorite books! We hope you enjoy them too.

0
0 0

Our boy/girl twins are now TEN (so hard to believe...)!

The "must-have" picture books---and you are NEVER too old for picture books!---for our tween twins are:

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
(read it, then see Scorcese's Oscar-nominated film "Hugo" it inspired!)

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus by Aliki

Always a great stand-by for our twosome, The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series by Jeff Kinney

0
25 69

Only 3!!!

1. I Wish That I Had Duck Feet by Theo LeSieg, for ages 5+ Especially great for boys!
2. Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story by Lisa Wheeler, ages 4+
3. Any books by Jan Brett

Bonus: I also love books by David Wiesner

0
0 0

"Monday is One Day" by Arthur A. Levine. Targeted for beginning readers <5 years old. It's written by a father that just can't wait to get home from work to see his son again. Easy to read but also a great message for single or working parents and their children.

"Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary" by Simon Beecroft. My son is 9 years old and has had this book for 2 years and still reads it on a regular basis. He took this book on a road trip to Iowa (24 hours from Florida) and read & looked at the pictures for hours.

"You Can Do a Graphic Novel" by Barbara Slate. This one is targeted towards tweens and teens and encourages creativity and thinking outside the box. I think this book is awesome at showing kids that they CAN be artists / graphic novelists if they want to and gives a pretty good blueprint for them to get started.

0
0 0

0-3
Llama, Llama Red Pijama (or the other Llama, Llama books) They have fun art, and great rhymes. They cover off everyday situations for young kids. Even as babies they loved the singsong nature of the words

Anything Eric Carle - but get the board book versions so they will last. We have most of the [animal] what do you see/hear series and as many others as I can find. They enrich vocabulary, have wonderful illustrations and involve the child

Benny's Chocolate Bunny - I had to include this one. Its a simple Easter book but boys can't get enough of it and we've had it for more than a year.

0
0 0

Here are a couple of my families favorites:
Tickle the Duck by Ethan Long- this is sure to get your 12month-4yr old rolling on the floor with laughter. You tickle the duck while touching different textures and laughing the entire time.
The Very Dizzy Dinosaur by Jack Tickle- 2-4yrs old will love this Pop-Up book of dinosaur adventures and learn dinosaur names. Great for any dinosaur lovers!
Little Elephant Listening Ears by Susan Hood- 1-5yrs old will be reminded to use their listening ears, while pulling tabs, touch and feel, fun flaps and more.

0
0 0

A few of Dek's favs at 2.5 years old:
-The Pet Dragon by Christoph Niemann- a great adventure of a girl on the search for her dragon. Fantastic illustrations that highlight chinese characters and easy ways to associate the writing with what it means.
-That's Not My Train... by Fiona Watts and Rachell Wells (Usbourne touchy-feely books)- these go along the same lines as the Pat the Bunny book (also a favorite). The series comes in Spanish as well which is very helpful if you are trying to introduce your kid to another language in a fun and easy to remember way.
-How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long and David Shannon- If your son, like mine, has decided he is a pirate all of the sudden, you can't go wrong with this tale of a boy who joins a pirate ship to help them find a place to bury their treasure. Silly pirate voice done by mom or dad is a must!

0
0 0

"The Chicken Chasing Queen of Lamar County" has wonderful illustrations and the language is like a cool glass of lemonade on a hot summer day. Fabulous rhythm.

"Skippy Jon Jones" is just too much fun to read. Get ready to laugh your way through the silly chihuahua's adventure.

"The Pout Pout Fish" is about turnIng the grumps around. All you need is a little love.

0
0 0

1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar. The illustrations are beautiful, and the book also teaches some great foundational lessons with counting and days of the week. Because some pages have flaps, the book is interactive enough to keep little ones engaged. (Pre-readers)

2. Oh The Places You'll Go. I love Dr. Seuss, and he does it right. The lesson here is wonderful - take on the world, expect that you'll fail sometimes, and keep going. Saw a great idea on Pintrest to have your children's teachers sign a copy each year, and present the book to them at graduation. At my baby shower, my friends all signed a copy for my daughter. This book holds a special place in my heart! (Elementary - adult)

3. Hippos Go Berserk. Sandra Boynton books are bright, funny, and fun. This particular book teaches counting both up and down, and the rhymes are catchy. An added bonus is that it's entertaining enough for parents who have to read it over... and over... and over!

3.

0
0 0

For the very young, I still love "Goodnight Moon." This story has a soothing, poetic flow that seems to have a calming effect that is perfect for that bedtime tuck-in.

For pre-school and beginning readers, "Curious George" stories are fantastic. We have a collection that contains all the original books in one volume. It has been read THOUSANDS of times over the years and is currently held together by duct tape. I can actually recite several of the stories from memory- I have read them that much. My kids have read them too. The Curious George stories were the first books they actually read aloud to me.

This may sound weird, but we also have a series of books from Great Britain (the wife is a Brit) called "The Ladybird Series," that I just love. We inherited them from my in-laws; my wife was brought up on them. These are geared toward late pre-schoolers through third grade reading levels. They are a series of old school "Dick and Jane" (except it's Peter and Jane for the Brits) type readers that have taught our kids great reading skills. Through word identification and repetition, it allows the kids to work toward more difficult words and sentence structures while keeping them entertained. I probably just like them because they are "old school," but I can't quibble with the results.

0
0 0

1) The Monster at the End of This Book - A book that breaks the fourth wall and is as engaging as an app on paper

2) Good Night Gorilla - For a nearly wordless book, there are so many rich details carried through in the background that each reading can be different (Reading #1: Follow Gorilla, Reading #2: The Mouse and the Banana, Reading #3: Where's the Balloon?)

3) Where the Wild Things Are - The secret to this book is all in the reading; make it interactive with sound effects and voices. (And for your own enlightenment, pay attention to the way Sendak plays with borders and the phase of the moon. Some subtle subliminals account for the dream-like quality.)

0
0 0

The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (preschool)
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey (preschool - early elementary)
Caps For Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina

0
5 36

Mia Stella's Favorites 19 Months.

1. The Spooky Tree Berenstain Bears
2. Disney's Princesses Complete Collection.
3. Dragonfly Beetle Butterfly Bee -Maryjo Koch Series [Hardcover] An unusual selection but both of my daughters loved it at the age 18 months.

http://www.adrianairis.com

0
34 3

My son Miles is 19 months: Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle In My Forest Harry the Dirty Dog http://www.mamainstyle.com