What are your tricks for dealing with mosquitoes?

Mosquitoes can ruin any warm summer evening that you want to spend outside. What are some tricks you have for keeping them at bay?

0 2

I have worked in the non-commercialized mosquito control industry for 30+ years. Listerine is an urban legend - repeated again and again on the internet it is totally unproven - it is the alcohol content in Listerine that repels mosquitoes - only for a short period of time until reapplication is needed. Deet is the best repellent on the market. If you want a personal repellent that is not Deet - buy a personal repellent containing the active ingredient –Picaridin. Deet and Picaridin are the only two personal repellents proven effective.

The OFF Clip uses a minimum-concentrate pyrethroid cartridge, will repel effectively when mosquito activity is low and in limited instances. Eucalyptus, Lemon Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Lemongrass, Cedar, Peppermint oils – like alcohol will only last a short period of time if at all.

The ThermaCELL is the best product on the market at this time – this is the favorite among hunters and people participating in outdoor activities. You do not apply anything to your skin. This device uses a concentrated, synthetically amplified, replaceable pyrethroid cartridge. Clip the ThermaCell on your belt or place it on the table you are sitting at and it will repel (not kill) mosquitoes for hours or until the cartridge is exhausted.

17
0 0

I have found the Thermcell to be effective...and my husband uses dryer sheets and they work great for him...he never has bites when the rest of us do if we are not using the cell...

1 0

I've always used Avon's Skin So Soft. In my opinion, it works as well as any bug spray, and smells a lot better! It's safe for the little ones as well. These days, they've come out with a whole line of Skin So Soft that is specifically for repelling mosquitoes, but the original kind works the same as any of those. And NO, I don't sell Avon, or know someone who does. I just order it online. I'm always a little suspicious of a product that someone raves about, and then happens to mention that they sell it. I've got a few FB friends who do this, and oddly, the ones who sell the stuff are the only ones I ever see post status updates talking about how great it is. Am I the only one?

14
1 7

I agree 100%. Avon SSS is the best. I was just at a gathering and everyone else used the usual repellent except me. I was the only one without bites. Have used it for years.

1 0

well you can spray listerine on the ground off and on that helps a lot....but at a craft show my hubby andi found the best trick ever.....it is allnatural...is not sticky and softens your skin....and it works....my hubby just raves about this stuff...no bad chemicles in it either...you have to try it. but keep it in the fridg when not in use. it is made by .... AllThingsHerble.com....the base is goats milk....and then all the essential oils......not a bad price either.....not a bug bothered us after we put it on....try it you'
ll like it...we love it. like i said no bad chemicles and it is not sticky...give it a shot! safe for all ages.

6
1 0

btw... a little goes a loooong ways!

1 9

I have to agree about the Skin-So-Soft by AVON. My mom has used that stuff since I was a kid for mosquitos and I'll be 40 this year. It really works. I know from experience.

3
0 0

AVON "Skin-so-Soft" is a great mosquito repellent!!
(Maybe they should market it as a mosquito repellent!!)

3
0 2

Plant marigolds - mosquitos don't like them and will stay out of the area - we have them on our back yard deck and in the entry and the flowers have a dual purpose - very pretty & we never have a skeeter problem. And we live in Florida, so I know a thing or two about mosquitos. Also I use Skin so soft from Avon and it's safe enough for everyone. Keeps those pesky bugs away as well.

3
2 16

I use a product called Basic H it is an organic cleaner just put a little all over my skin and it is great. It isn't sticky and when I'm all done outside I simply take a shower. Works like magic no bug bites for me nor my friends little ones.
If you need any let me know I can help you I have some in stock as well.
www.debdarby.myshaklee.com
You can also use it for all your household cleaning. No chemicals.

3
3 4

We use Basic H and it's very effective. I also use this on my door steps and it keeps ants away! Love the stuff!!!

5 21

we spray Listerine mouth wash on us and the dog...works great! even the generic brands in a spray bottle work as well and arecost effective.....

3
5 21

I don't find the Listerine sticky at all......

0 1

vicks stops the itching and repells the mozzies too, they dont like the menthol smell

2
9 0

my classmate's ex-wife makes $89 an hour on the computer. She has been laid off for 7 months but last month her payment was $19836 just working on the computer for a few hours. more……WWW.Rush64.ℂℴm

0 14

My son is allergic to the little buggers, one bite will get the size of quarter to 50¢ piece, he got one on his cheek and half of his face swelled and he got a skin infection. Doctors have told me to give Zertec nightly to help with reaction and to use the product with the most Deet (nightly baths). I have found that if he gets bitten to put Tea Tree Oil (found at health foods store) right away.

2
0 0

ANOTHER THING YOU CAN USE IS MEAT TENDERIZER MADE INTO PASTE AND APPLY

0 0

Avon skin so soft....works like a charm.....

2
0 1

The best natural thing I've found to repel the little blood sucking critters is to swallow half a garlic clove... Aparently they can smell the garlic coming out of your pores and the Mosquitos don't like the smell.

2
0 28

of course, no one else likes the smell, either ;) LOL

10 13

My Mom swear by dryer sheets by reducing static on skin they can not get a hold, an entamologist told me blood type is also a factor, and higher level of b12 can help thoose that are target at party. I use a product by fairytales hair, or a little lemon grass spray for myself, the kids who seem to be more prone use a natrual spray from Repel that has eucalyptus. My husband uses skin so soft,...on himself dogs and horses. This is our Florida marsh arsenal.

2
1 0

I have a little gadget the sends off the sound of a dragon fly the mosquitoes natural predator and that works for me !! Best ones bought in UK at boots !!

2
0 0

My family uses Skin so Soft bath oil spray and it works great for those early evening walks with our dogs. I am an Avon Rep, so I keep it on hand for those camping trips or customers who might need it.

Michele Gillis
www.youravon.com/michelegillis

1
0 0

Avon skin so soft

1
0 0

This is an 'AFTER THE BITE' solution. I am LOVED by mosquitoes and little black flies!!! I used to get huge welts that lasted for weeks. . . UNTIL I discovered that rubbing the gel from an aloe plant takes the itch away almost immediately and the welt disappears! Honestly! My little granddaughter is also a bug target and used to put band-aides on her many bites to keep her from scratching them raw. She is amazed that aloe works so well. I gave her an aloe plant to take home with her. Try it! It's cheap, renewable, clear, odorless and is not sticky! Take a cutting with you in a plastic snack bag or keep it in the fridge for cooling effect. It couldn't be easier!!! Other than not getting bitten! Have a great summer!

1
0 10

Rub dryer sheets on u then carry one in your pocket. They hate them

1
0 7

Put a dryer sheet in your pocket when you go outside.

1
8 0

I got malaria. If anyone has any tips, I'll be grateful to hear! We were in West Africa and I got very bitten in the only restaurant available which was outdoor. I wore long clothing but the mozzies got inside my trouser legs. We were not expecting to be in an area where there would be mosquitos. We had heard, wrongly, that it was semi-desert.

1
8 0

The most common treatment for malaria is a drug called plaqunil. (perhaps not spelled quite right, but very close) Although created to treat malaria, it was later discovered to help with other diseases, such as lupus. I was a mosquito-magnet for years - people used to laugh that if I were there, they were safe since all the mosquitoes would go after me. Then I was diagnosed with lupus and have taken plaqunil for years! Guess what? Mosquitoes won't go near me now! So the malaria, if you're taking that medication, may be the perfect way to get rid of the pesky critters!

9 0

0
0 0

The absolute best is Doterra's "Terra Shield". I use it every night. If I forget, I'm covered in bites the next morning! (we live by a river ).

0
0 6

Have Geranium plants around. They are mosquito repellents! Or, take a leaf or two and rub them on you for a natural mosquito repellent! For my pets - I take Rosemary from the kitchen and rub it on their fur. Natural repellent!

0
0 0

Stick a bounce laundry sheet in your back pocket or under a baseball cap!

0
0 20

I have found that not using a scented soap, if you know you are going to be outside for long periods of time, works wonderfully. We live on the Mississippi River and if I use a scented soap and get eaten alive. I have gotten to the point if we are going to be close to the river, I just use Dove Wintercare soap and it does the trick. The mosquitoes leave me alone.

0
0 0

I use insect repellent incense I make myself. It has none of the harsh, synthetic fragrances that store-bought mosquito candles do, just real essential oils of Citronella, Patchouli and Peppermint. It works great for keeping mosquitoes away!

0
0 0

dryer sheets or badger balm

0
0 4

i have tried all those home remedies but nothing works like the product OFF. if you get a bite i find the best product for the itch is MSM lotion.

0
0 20

I have an after bite tip that is really great. Put a glob of vicks vapo rub on the bite as soon as possible after you have been bitten. Something about the menthol pulls out the 'poison'. Doesn't smell the best, but by the next day, you'd hardly know you had been bitten.

0
0 0

I accidentally discovered a wonderful lotion that keeps those little "biters" away. I started with a new company several months back and one of their products repels mosquito's beautifully. After tropical story Debby dumped 18 inches of rain in North Florida we had a horrible outbreak of mosquito's. OMG, they literally covered you when you stepped outside. My grandbabies were getting eat up! I had heard that lemongrass helped and we have a lotion that has lemongrass in it so I played guinea pig and slathered up myself and went outside in my backyard one afternoon about 4pm and put it to the test. I sat in my swing and listened to them buzz around me and watched them buzz around me. They never would land on me. I stayed outside for 1 1/2 hours....no bites!!! I was sold...started telling everyone that I came in contact with about this...especially if they had children. It works!! If you want more info my website is www.SprinklesPZ.com or you can message me.

0
0 0

Mosquito Patch by Agraco works really well. It is put on 2 hours before going out, keep it on for 24 hours and provides protection for an additional 12. It delivery B1 transdermally (it would take 2 weeks of oral supplements to get levels this high.) Safe, no toxins, water soluable vitamin, no mess. You do notice you smell like vitamins, but its managable. Be careful, there are LOTS of knock offs, they deliver about 50mg, this patch delivers 300mg. I cut it in half for my small children.

0
4 4

I've used Solutions by TCM for this entire summer, fishing at the river and never had a bite yet. There are no chemicals, just essential oils and you don't have to wash it off. If you want to check out my friends website its solutionsbytcm.com/tarra/

0
0 0

I USE SOME STUFF CALLED MOSQUITOE BEATER I FIND AT LOCAL FARM STORE HAVE USED IT FOR YEARS. IT SMELLS LIKE MOTHBALLS WHEN FIRST APPLIED FOR ABOUT 20 MIN BY THE WAY YOU PUT IT ON THE GROUND IT COMES IN 2 FORMS GRANULAR AND LIQUID. THE LIQUID IS GOOD FOR A MONTH AND APPLIED WITH GARDEN HOSE. WATKINS ALSO HAS A GREAT REPELLENT

0
0 0

Take Vitamin B1 daily during the season it reduces it significantly! Along with Deet spray of course

0