What's the best family vacation destination in Canada?

0 0

I love old Quebec City. It is incredibly beautiful. Like stepping back in time. The citadel, the cobble stone, the crepes and cafes...all make for a beautiful family trip. I loved being there as a child and I cannot wait to share it with my little baby bug.

3
0 0

Looking for a great family vacation destination in Canada? Omemee, Ontario, central to Lindsay, Peterborough, Bobcaygeon,and Oshawa, has been the top traditional vacation destination for years for many families. Some, like Karen C., love the natural beauty of our area so much in fact, that later on they choose to return to build their homes in the Omemee area, raising their families in the friendly village atmosphere.
"When I was a kid, the highlight of our week was going to Omemee for the weekend," Karen recently shared with me,adding " We loved going to Emily Park - fishing, swimming,catching frogs in the grass. Now we are building our home just outside the village."
Emily Park, a popular summer destination, is just a few minutes from Omemee by bicycle down the four season multi-use TransCanada Trail,with its geocaches, scenic trestle bridge views, and Eco System 2000 Nature Park. Water aficionados, on the other hand, enjoy kayaking, canoeing,or motoring down the Pigeon River to visit the historic village with Ontario's unique original Rock and Roll Museum - Youngtown Rock and Roll Museum.
Omemee, Rock legend Neil Young's roots during his early years, is home to actors and musicians of many genre, some of whom you will find performing at Lakeview Arts Barn, free jam weekend sessions at Omemee Legion Hall, annual concerts such as the Youngtown Jam - held November 12th on Neil Young's Birthday, singing in local churches, or at free BBQ's on the beach.
Omemee is also home to many photographers, writers,and artisans who showcase their work at local cafes, Butternut Folk Art Studio, Omemee Rocks Jewellers, and the Omemee Medical Centre or during seasonal farm and studio tours of the area. Butternut Folk Art Studio is often the first stop for many families to pick up craft supplies on their way to their trailer, cottage,or camp ground.
Winter visitors enjoy stopping over at one of the many wonderful family Bed and Breakfasts in the Omemee area, strapping on skis or snowshoes to explore the many trails, enjoy Snowboarding at Devil's Elbow, or take snowmobiles out on the frozen lakes and ponds to try their luck at ice fishing. Emily - Omemee arena, and the Omemee Curling Club are also kept busy with recreational winter sports.
Looking for a great family vacation destination in Canada? I'd say, Omemee Ontario is the best family vacation destination in Canada - but then again, I may be a wee bit biased - I'm fortunate enough to live here!

2
0 0

My in-laws cottage up north, just south of North Bay. It's so beautiful up there. I love the fact that life is at a slower pace. The only reason we woke up in the morning was to go to the beach and the only reason we come back to the cottage was because the bugs were coming out. I miss it!

http://theexperimentalcupcake.blogspot.com/2011/11/whats-best-family-vacation-destination.html

2
0 0

I haven't been there but I think Drumheller, AB would be the best family vacation spot. The whole dinosaur thing really resonates with the kids. Plus it's not far away from Calgary, where you can visit the Zoo and water parks.

2
0 0

As a young family we don't have the luxury of taking expensive vacations. We tend to save vacation time for around the holidays so we can spend more time with our families. However, we do try to make it around locally (Southern Alberta). The kids love a day trip to Calgary where we can spend the day at the fabulous Calgary Zoo, stepping back in time at Heritage Park or a quick detour at Calaway Park. We also love Waterton, and love that it is almost in our backyard. Great food, amazing hikes and lots of adventures abound. The best part? We can make it home in time for bedtime.

1
0 0

Best family vacation destination in Canada? Definitely Banff National Park. It just has so much to offer: hiking, camping, hot springs, skiing, snow-shoeing, a chance to see wildlife, delicious food...the possibilities are endless. Add to this the stunning backdrop of the Rocky Mountains and you have an all-around amazing destination. One of the most beautiful places in the world, for sure.

1
0 0

I live in The Okanagan so you might think I am biased when I say The Okanagan! But in truth, I have lived all over Canada from St. John NB to Vancouver BC, as far north as the Arctic Circle in the Yukon and as far south as Toronto ON. So, I know a good vacation spot when I find one. The Okanagan has amazing winter skiing at Silver Star and Big White but also gorgeous beaches and hiking trails in the summer. I am in love with the region's arid landscapes--dotted with giant Ponderosa Pine trees. Also, the lush valleys are lined with orchards and vineyards--there truly is something for everyone in the beautiful, sunny and warm Okanagan Valley :)

1
1 0

I'd have to agree being an Okanagan girl myself :)

1 0

I love the Gulf Islands, Saltspring & Galiano in particular. They're quiet, laid-back & not that expensive. Lots of variety of accommodations, from resorts to B&Bs to cabins. There's lots to do--hiking, kayaking, camping, tours of cheese makers, wineries... They're so close to Vancouver & Victoria, but you really feel far away when you're there.

0
2 8

anywhere in driving distance! Traveling as an autism family can be a challenge, because we have to replicate our home environment as closely as possible for the benefit of my son. This means the transportation of most of his toys and belongings. For this reason, air travel is not feasible - at least, not yet. So what we do is rent a cottage by the lakes in Ontario, and we drive up there for our getaways. Our last vacation was on the shores of Lake Simcoe, in a cottage that was fully enclosed and included a great backyard play structure for the kids.

0
1 0

Haida Gwaii {Queen Charlotte Islands}... while we haven't gone with our kids YET, I went as a child and it was ahh-mazing - best family vacation by far.

0
25 0

My family loves camping at the Ontario Provincial Parks - Killbear and Sandbanks are two favorites. We also love travelling out West to Alberta to visit family and out to BC - Vancouver Island is beautiful. We also travel to Northern Ontario to visit family and plan to travel to Montreal and Quebec to immerse ourselves in French culture. Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island are two beautiful places I have also been which we have not yet brought the children to but would like to. There are so many beautiful places in Canada!

0
0 0

Drumheller, Alberta. My husband and I have only been there for our "nerd's honeymoon", but we're looking forward to taking our kids there to enjoy the hills and the dinosaur museum. It's a beautiful place, but we want to make sure the kids are of the age where they'll really appreciate it. Our 9-year-old is definitely ready, but I think our 7-year-old will likely need another year.

0
0 0

Three Valley Gap just outside of Revelstoke, B.C. was one of our more memorable family vacations. Closed through the winter months, it is a family owned and run chateau style resort that boasts a railroad museum with a working roundhouse and a recreation old west town.

The pool area was modeled after the deck of the Titantic and the adjacent lake is available for boating, water-skiing and fishing.

While we were there, we also took in The Enchanted Forest, which is just up the road. It features miniature recreations of fairy tales set back in the forest. Our daughter was just five at the time and she loved it.

Our favorite holiday experience so far, however, was the week we spent in Victoria on Vancouver Island. We stayed in the harbour area, which is beautiful and holds a surprising number of attractions like a Madame Tousaud's Wax Museum, a museum of miniatures and a walkable downtown shopping district. There is a zoo and a butterfly park, and many of the hotels feature a high tea, which is delightful.

It was on this trip that our daughter saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time and riding the ferry to and from was quite the experience for her. She still talks about that trip.

0
1 49

For my family I would have to say Tobermory Ont, as it has everything a family vacation needs, lake, little town shops, boats, cruises, ship wreaks, and of course hiking. There is this beautiful B&B there call The Round House, it is completely round and the food is absolutely wonderful. We are actually thinking of going up there in the winter time to so some sledding.

http://www.theroundhousebb.com/

0
3 0

I suppose it would be a cop out to say something hokey like "the best vacation destination is the one where I get time with my family," eh? OK, fine.

As an homage to my East Coast roots, I have to say PEI is the best family vacation destination in Canada. Sun, fun and really cool red dirt for building sand castles. What more could you ask for?

Blue Mountain in the summertime with its proximity to Wasaga, nice restaurants, kid's programs, on-resort babysitters and comfy, family-friendly condos - all for a super reasonable price - is a pretty close second.

0
0 0

Toronto, ON has the best of everything for families and is a must-see destination in Canada. FREE activities include Toronto Beaches, Valley walks, and bike riding. CN Tower, Rogers Centre, Ontario Science Centre, Museums, Art Galleries, Shopping, Restaurants, Shows and Concerts and Sports Events. There is something for everyone (and every budget) in the heart of Toronto!

0
0 0

Honestly, even though most of the rest of the country hates us, I would say Toronto! We have the TTC, which makes it easy to get anywhere, and there are family day passes available. If you want culture, we've got it all: museums with activities for kids (ROM, AGO, Bata Shoe Museum, etc.), the zoo, the Science Centre, Harbourfront Centre, the CNE which regularly hosts family-friendly events, the CN Tower, Black Creek Pioneer Village, Ontario Place, not to mention lots of parks and natural attractions: High Park, the beaches, sugar bushes and farms that offer an assortment of activities for families including apple picking, hay rides, petting zoos, etc.

Toronto also has a wide variety of accomodations, including chain hotels and small B&Bs to suit most budgets and there are local businesses that can rent you baby gear (cribs, car seats, etc.) for your stay at a great price. For example, check out: http://www.weetravel.ca/index.php

Perhaps I'm biased because this is where we live, but we never run out of activities to do with the family!

0
0 0

I DREAM about a week in a cottage on the beach in PEI but we haven't been able to get there yet. I'm hoping we will this summer! I am inexplicably drawn to the red sand beaches. It seems so peaceful and feels like it would be the perfect place for our family to just 'be' with each other.

0
4 6

I love picturesque Victoria, B.c. Especially the Beacon Hill farm.

0
6 17

I adore Halifax! There's something fantastic about the east coast that I just can't get enough of. The ocean, the food, the people are marvelous. Can't wait to get back there!

0
0 0

We are a family that loves nature, so I think Vancouver Island (especially around Tofino) is a great family vacation destination. There are beaches for walks, wilderness for hikes, whale watching, boating, and a tonne of exploring to do. But most of all the pace is slower and provides for a great time spent with family.

0
0 0

We have always loved going to the mountains, so Banff has always been a favorite. That whole area is so beautiful and the mountains are so amazing. Everyone should take a visit to see the mountains at least once in their lifetimes with their children.

0
41 0

I think it would be the city that I am from; Vancouver B.C. A place that can literally offer anything for any type of vacation, from beaches to skiing i think we have something to offer everyone and anyone.

0