What's the best parenting advice your mom gave you?

0 0

My mom never vocalized this advice, but she demonstrated it when it mattered most: pray for your child. Stop what you're doing, hold them in your arms and pray out loud for them. There's nothing more comforting.

9
0 0

The best advice my mom ever gave me was this: "Love your children every second of every day and give them everything you can, but love your husband just as much. Children are the greatest gift, but a loving marriage makes for happy children". While my kids are always my top priority, my marriage is right there with them.

3
0 0

My mom passed on a piece of advice that her father gave to her: "Love your child more than anything and make them your first priority...that will guide every decision you make. If you love your child, and they know it, the rest will fall into place." My mother has said this to me many times, and it's something that I try to remember when faced with difficult decisions. It's amazing how a simple credo can be so powerful and true. So, I attribute that piece of advice to both my mom & grandfather...and someday I'll pass it along to my girls.

3
0 0

I would say the best advice I received was to offer choices. If anyone is told exactly what to do, they will push back so give options and you get less 'no!'.

That said, I would say that sometimes having the fortitude to NOT take parental advice can be just as powerful. At some point, especially when under pressure, you will probably hear yourself sound like your parents. It is a natural reaction. That does not mean we should parent like them with no thought to whether it is the right thing to do. We can love our parents and not agree with them. We can respect them and still parent in a way which they disagree with...

1
0 0

Intriguing question. It assumes at least two things - that I have mother, and that if I do, that advice is both given and accepted. I actually do have a mom, and I have a great relationship with her, but I don't ask for advice and she never gives it unsolicited. That in itself is a form of counsel. Either she respects my privacy enough to keep her opinions to herself, or she respects my authority as my daughter's parent - or maybe she's had enough of parenting after fifty years and is letting me figure it out on my own. We must all do our own growing, and our own learning, I think. We don't believe it until we've lived it ourselves anyway. So my mother's "advice" to me has been her lifelong example of fairness, skepticism, and humor.

1
6 0

babies will be babies just take it one minute at a time or by the second if you have to

0
0 0

You can still be creative as a mother, but you have to be able to handle constant interruptions.

0
1 0

Moms are creatures of habit. We're that way because it helps our babies and toddlers find a routine. Which makes them predictable. Which keeps us sane. I get it.

Which is why, last night when we were at Pops in the Park, and the time was approaching 8 pm (a good 30 minutes after our little guy's bedtime), my husband was planning on going home to put Graham to bed. The festivities were to last until 9:30 or so, and then the fireworks would begin. As parents we were nervous. Would he get cranky? Would he get tired? Would he freak out at the fireworks and force us to extract a screaming baby from a throng of people? Yep, I agreed with my husband. Time for the little guy to go. And then a wise woman whispered in my ear.... "If he's having a good time, don't you want him to experience the fireworks?" That wise woman? My mom. Darn, moms can be smart.

So it was with that spirit that we kept Graham up the latest he's ever been. And it was lovely. To be able to watch someone experience the drama of fireworks for the first time is amazing. He had our whole party captivated. And he almost missed it. Lesson #392 of parenting? Don't sacrifice making memories to keep schedule. The schedule will be there tomorrow. Fireworks may not.

0
18 0

My mom never really gave me advise but I learned alot about the kind of parent I didnt want to be from her! I will never abandon my children or put someone else before them. I chose to have them and I will be the best mother I can no matter what sacrifices I have to make. the are the best thing I ever had a part in creating and I tell myself that everytime I get stressed or annoyed!!

0
0 0

I think the best advice my mom gave me was not so much what she said but how she lived. She always had a life of her own outside her marriage and her parenting role. It taught me to create the same for myself. I have a life with my husband and a close relationship with all my children but I also have a separate life with a large group of women friends and different activities that are just mine. It's been a signifcant contribution to my general state of happiness.

0
0 0

Every child is different and should be treated as such. Never compare your children to what other's kids and babies are doing at a certain age. And certainly don't compare your second child to your first. Or third to the second. All develop at their own pace and that is what makes them special.

0
0 0

"There's nothing you can't do!" are the 5 words that impacted my childhood the most. It is a quote I believe in, live by and share with my own child. Support and encouragement are two incredibly important tools we use as parents, in my humble opinion. And I was one of the fortunate ones to have an incredible Mom - still do.

0
0 0

My mom always tell me to not overcomplicate things. Keep it simple. This helps me keep perspective!

0
1 0

Not to be overly dramatic, but my mom didn't give me much advice because she died when my daughter was 8 weeks old. She was able to meet her granddaughter a couple of times before she died, thankfully!

The main advice she gave me was to have patience and be relaxed. I'm still struggling with both of these areas, and my daughter is now 7!

0
0 0

My mom always reminds me to enjoy every day, because you can't get it back. The time really does fly by, and kids grow up fast, so it's important to celebrate every milestone and achievement.

0