What's the best part about raising a family in the European Union?

0 0

For us, there are several things we like about of raising a family in the European Union. First is that we can easily be bilingual. With my husband being French and myself American, we love embracing both cultures. When we moved to France, it was very important to us that we immerse the girls in French schools and daily life. They became fluent after a few months. We still speak English at home and they enjoy reading and watching TV in both languages. Sometimes it feels like a split personality - but we are thrived to give them this opportunity. Another reason we enjoy raising our family in France is the diversity of perspective. They meet all kinds of people, from many different backgrounds and cultures. This, I feel is helping them to take on a more open, diverse perspective about the world. Raising Global citizens! Finally, the lifestyle here just works for us - the pace is a little slower, the fact that Sunday everything is closed means it's time to relax and enjoy being together and often being outside!! There is a balance here for us.

0
0 0

I love the sheer diversity of Europe. It's food, language and culture. It is a real melting pot. You can travel by plane literally for an hour or two and literally experience a whole different world.

0
0 0

For us, the best thing has been the travel. From our home in Provence we can drive 3 hours either east or west and be in a different country. How amazing is that?
A very close second would be the food. France is famous for it and so she should be!

0
0 0

I love the variety of different cultures that all mix together to form up the EU, even in the UK we encounter so many differences that children grow up to understand more about the world without having to travel far at all.

0
0 0

I can't speak for all of the European Union but I can say what I love about raising my children in France! Number one is rather personal, but would have to be the fact that we are surrounded by my husband's large and very united family! 5 siblings that are all married with 4-5 children each equals lots of cousins and big family parties! They are all so good and loving! A wonderful support system for our family, and our children being the youngest, they have a fantastic set of older cousins who are a great example for them. Aside from this personal note, I would also note the following: gorgeous landscapes, decadent culinary possibilities, rich culture and history, a deeply embedded vacation culture (lots of vacation for school children and employees alike!) and strong social programs that allow our family to have a decent life in spite of a very high cost of living.

0
4 0

The wide variety of cultural experiences is probably my favourite thing about raising a family here.

We're only three hours drive to Stonehenge, we got married in a thousand year old castle, we live on a Roman Road, and of course we're only 40 minutes to the centre of London, one of the world's most culturally varied, historic cities.

Within an hour of my house we can go to a London West End Musical or play, we can visit some of the greatest art galleries in the world, we can see world class sport, we can explore ancient castles, we can visit the oldest church still standing in Britain (1400 years old!), we can row on the River Cam in Cambridge and we can eat at the Michelin starred restaurant opposite the boathouse. Our favourite local pub is Victorian, and we can walk there across the fields past WWII cement bunkers built for the Home Guard to use to protect the country in case of an invasion. An ancient woodland is located near us and is a rare surviving example of a medieval royal hunting forest, of great historical and ecological importance.

Living where we do in Britain, we are also an easy day journey to the rest of Britain and Europe where we can visit other world cities and more beautiful countryside. For example, for a field trip recently my daughter visited the World War I battlegrounds in Ypres, Belgium.

Actually, free healthcare is another great thing about raising a family in Britain. With a very active family who get a lot of bumps and bruises--and bigger things too, I don't have to sweat it when I need to take my kids to the doctor.

0
0 0

I was born and raised in New Zealand, so the best part for me is being so central to the rest of the world. From our home, just outside London, we can be in Paris, or Barcelona, or Croatia in just a few hours.

I love that my children are growing up in a diverse, sophisticated country, and will be exposed to so many different cultures and experiences as they grow up.

I also love the rich history of Europe; you can go for afternoon tea in a hotel that's older than New Zealand itself! That still blows my mind, even after living here for 12 years!

0
0 0

The best part is that for a bilingual family it's very easy to fit in - many people here are bi or trilingual and it's viewed as totally normal :)

0
0 0

The ease of travel. You can jump on a plane and be in a foreign country, speaking a different language and eating exotic foods and be back again in just a weekend. Longer haul trips to Africa are easier as well. There's a culture of travelling with Brits - everyone is always talking about their last trip or their next one - which makes for great conversations.

0
11 0

Freedom of speech, equality and ease of travel have to factor highly on this list. Within Europe there are so many different cultures and languages, yet in visiting any other European country, you are always made to feel welcome.

On a national level, I LOVE living in Britain. I love the green grass, the variance from sunshine to snow throughout the seasons, the great British countryside and good old fashioned British food.

We have a great education network and an even better health network. Without the NHS, I wouldn't be here today.

Living in Britain also means taking a great deal of pride in our country and our traditions, yet also being accepting and welcoming of other nationalities.

0
14 64

Living in England is great! We are a bilingual family romanian-english so from a young age my daughter start learning about both nationalities and languages. London is also the city where she can interact with so many other nationalities.
Also it gives us the opportunity to travel around Europe as the all the countries are only a couple of hours away by plane.

0
0 0

We live in south Wales (just outside Cardiff) and have huge diversity in cultures, from all over Europe, but also the world. It helps to broaden my son's experiences and interactions with different cultures, and in the future will encourage travel onto the continent with easy access to exciting destinations.

0
0 0

Freedom! For all the financial constraints we may come across, and we may moan about lots of rainy days, really we are so lucky to have such freedom, peace and opportunity. Children need freedom to grow and thrive, and in a community such as my own we are blessed with lots of it.

0
0 0

Raising a family in East London is a rich , urban and varied way of living.The city is so vibrant with so much choice of so many different activities, most within the setting of amazing new & historic architecture.

We can visit some of the best museums in the world , without major planning & expense, go to the theatre, exhibitions & galleries.In contrast we have lots of green and open spaces, Hackney Marshes, Victoria Park, Mile End Park ( the list goes on) .It's easy to travel across town on public transport.

It was fantastic hosting the Olympics and there are a lot of sports clubs & activities including tennis, climbing, swimming, athletics, shooting, golf, horse riding & ice skating.

London is without doubt a multicultural city and one of the benefits is the choice of food! From Turkish to Afghan through to French and Italian,it's all here. That said modern British food is fantastic at the moment and isa really vibrant part of city life.
We are so lucky to have a great sense of community, we know our neighbours and have a great network of friends with kids the same age.
Also when we need a break from the city we go to the beautiful coast in Suffolk which is less than 2 hours away !

So the best thing about raising kids in london is the sense of community, creativity, vibrancy and choice .

Oh..and the shoppings great too !

0
3 0

Well, since we are approaching life here from the viewpoint of being American expats, I would say the best part of raising a family in Europe is the whole "seeing the world" thing. It is so easy to travel to so many parts of the world from England. We can drive across the English Channel and take our care all over the European continent. There is so much to see and do!

Beyond that, we love the access to fresh and local food. We regularly shop at farms and enjoy all kinds of food-related field-trips. In Suffolk where we live, there is just so much gorgeous farmland, and simply getting into the car for a drive is a wonderful, interesting experience.

My very favorite thing about England is the land. It is just gorgeous here, and we have access to the coasts, farms, forests, heathlands, and meadows. It is just so great to have so much to explore. I think we could live here for a decade and still have plenty to see within an hour's drive. We have lived here for 1.5 years, and haven't even gotten very far away from home, since there is always something to see and do. But of course, we're dying to see the rest of the UK, as well!

0
0 0

We love raising our family close to our own families and friends, in a country where democracy is important and schooling is excellent. We live in a beautiful country, with amazing countryside and great transport links. We are surrounded by very passionate people, and we also have the opportunity to reach several other countries in very quick time, and the chance to learn about their cultures and their languages.

0
0 0

We live in Britain, and for all our country's faults and problems I am grateful for the freedom to speak and be what we want, the relative safety and the opportunities our children have.
I savour the fresh air, the unpredictable weather, healthy hearty food, our love of the sea.
Although not perfect, I am proud of the safety net of free healthcare for all and a good inclusive education system.
But most of all, you can't beat our penchant for toilet humour, sarcasm and the ability to be positive in a storm can you.

0
17 0

As a Canadian, I would have to say that it is all of the opportunities available to travel and learn. My husband is British and Finley was Italian, and we were like our own little League of Nations. I was so proud to be such a multicultural family, and we had every intention of showing Finley as much of the world as we could.

If he was still alive, he would be British and Canadian as well, and I would have wanted him to know as much about each of his cultures as possible.

0
0 0

The amazing travel opportunities. Children can be exposed to so many different cultures and thousands of years worth of history just by hopping on a train or a plane. Galleries in Paris, the Acropolis in Greece, the Ronda in Spain - we have it all here. I think travel is the greatest gift you can give your children, and that living here in England we are lucky to be able to visit so many places.

0
0 0

Well, we are Scottish so we have always lived in the E.U. We live in France at the moment and enjoy our little life here, though it is very different from what our life would be if we were in the UK. Life in Lyon is very laid back but not as laid back as our life was further south in Avignon, where we lived last year.
Raising our daughter in different countries is difficult at times, adjusting to the the different cultures, language, laws, education, etc, can be a handful but we manage as best we can, in the hope that she will be more open minded and cultured when she is older.
The added bonus of living in Europe is that we aren't ever more than a quick flight to the UK if we need to return "home" for anything.
We really enjoy our life in France, it may not be where we'll 'settle down' for good, if we ever do, but for now it is the best place to raise our daughter.

0
0 0

The opportunity to travel around Europe!

0
0 0

The best part of raising a family in the UK is ... the weather. JUST KIDDING. There's culture, there is so much available to do and see ... We often take the girls to the National Gallery where they can learn to draw amongst the painting of the greats. Then there is the diverse people and religions. But the absolute best is the attitude -- we will prevail against adversity (including the weather). You didn't ask about the worst part though. That would be the shopping carts! For some reason you can't steer them, and they go all over the car park. x

0