What's the best part of raising a family in the South?

0 0

For me it's that my family is here. To be able to raise my daughter near her grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins is a huge blessing. I also love the pace of life in the South. And I'm crazy for southern traditions, like big hairbows and sweet tea and sitting in rocking chairs on the front porch when it rains. Where we live there is a great sense of community and it's so nice to encounter such friendliness from people almost everywhere we go. And the weather. I love the climate here.

0
1 0

Family. When we moved back to the States after living in England for 8 years, we knew we wanted to be closer to family. Now, I'm not sure that six houses away from my parents was exactly what we were thinking, but as it happens, it was perfect for us. Moving back to my home town meant that my daughter has the benefit of growing up with all of her extended family around.

0
0 0

Southern hospitality. It's not just a cliche--it's true! Southerners are the friendliest people we've ever met. They smile at strangers, bring cookies over to neighbors "just because," and foster a true sense of community. You don't realize how special that is until you travel to other parts of the country where people don't smile at you on the sidewalk, hold the door for you as you're pushing a stroller into a store, or come running to find you because they found your baby's sock lying on the floor in the garden center. That's not to say people in other parts of the country aren't friendly. It's just that the South has a special way of showing it.

Bethany and Susan were both born and raised in the South, so we have a special affection for the people and traditions that go along with being a Southerner.

And the peaches are nice too.

0
5 0

The three months that the rest of the country calls "winter". Sure, we may have a "cold spell" every once in a while, but, more often than not, the weather is beautiful in the winter months. We can play sports, ride bikes, and enjoy nature with a light jacket. For a mother of three boys, being able to send them out to play year round is a blessing!

0
0 0

The best part of raising a family in the South to me is just that, getting to raise them in the South. My husband and I are both from Tennessee so we always knew we wanted to end up back down South.

0
1 13

I find that living in South, Florida is relaxing. People are more calm, carefree and happy. Living only 4 hours away from Disney, Busch Gardens and Universal Studios is a major plus.

Its just beautiful being surrounded by water everywhere you turn. You are able to appreciate family time more by being able to spend more time outdoor enjoying the weather.

0
1 0

The best part of raising a family in the south is the sense of community. Many people will tell you that it takes a village to raise a child, and while I don't necessarily disagree, the sense of family and friendliness in the South can't be found elsewhere. The fact that this warm environment embeds itself in your child is a wonderful thing!

0
0 0

The lifestyle and the weather! Even in January, you can count on a few warm days that you know you can get out and do something!
We live in the Atlanta Metro area and while it can be big and impersonal, there is still a gentler attitude for the most part, and more smiles. We get a lot of sunshine which keeps the crankies away.

0
0 0

The weather! I will choose long hot days over dark cold ones every single time! I also love living so close to the beach, I feel lucky to get to live somewhere with such natural beauty and the free fun is a huge bonus. I know people love to complain about Florida, but I can't imagine living anywhere else. Well, maybe the Greek Islands or Bora Bora, but I really like South Florida.

0
4 0

I am thrilled to raise my son in the South. It is a safe place with great schools, and a community that offers a variety of fun activities for our children.

0
0 0

Ooooh, that's a tough one as there are so many virtues of the South that make it a wonderful place to raise a family, but I'll have to go with the weather. Although it is very hot in the summer, the rest of of the 9+ months are absolutely glorious and conducive to all sorts of outdoor activities like sports, hiking, camping, eating al fresco, and just generally enjoying the fresh air.

0
0 0

I love the slower pace of the South. People take the time to ask "How are you?" and wait for an answer. People don't think anything of spending all day on the soccer field or football field if their kids' have games with hours in between them. I grew up in the Northeast and everyone worked longer hours and were always in a hurry. It's nice here.

0
0 0

I like the laid back nature here, and how welcoming people are! Also the warm weather here create a swimming pool culture, and an opportunity for community pools to become the playscapes for the summer!

0
0 0

1. When I lived in Michigan and Nebraska I didn't get to experience such diversity/culture as I have in Texas. Here we can raise our family soaking it all in.You're surrounded by it everyday not only through the people but by the variety of food, art, stores, and music. We have the perk of living in a city that puts on events. Rodeos,"LET'S RODEO SAN ANTONIO!" There's fiestas that not only gives you a feel for the Hispanic culture, but a taste of New Orleans and other coastal regions. There's also October fests that takes place through out different times in the fall that get you in to the German Spirit. PROST! I lived in Germany for about two years and these fests really made me feel like I was back there. Serving up memories so freshly.
And let's not forget we live in the city of the Spurs."GO SPURS GO!" =D

0
0 6

I love the Southern lifestyle. It is laid back and relaxed yet we live in the city. Southerners have great values and really teach their children to be polite. I couldn't imagine raising my kids anywhere else.

0
0 0

We love many things about the South, and that Greenville is so family friendly is the main reason. There is no shortage of things to do; with a beautiful waterfall and park, baseball stadium, children's garden, children's museum, library and zoo downtown we stay busy. Within Greenville there are also a science center, an art studio geared towards kids, waterparks and dozens more parks with everything from playgrounds to frisbee golf and mountain bike courses. It's easy and cheap to eat healthy, with fresh, local produce sold in farmers markets and nearby stores. Programs to promote literacy, fitness and learning are available year-round through the local library and park systems, and local bookstores and restaurants have kids programs and deals. Families can easily stay active as well, with the Swamp Rabbit Trail system and Paris Mountain State Park right in our backyard. If we're willing to drive a bit further the Appalachian Mountains, Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway are just to the north, and Charleston, Savannah and the Atlantic to the southeast. Best of all is our neighborhood; the tree-lined streets are perfect for taking family walks after dinner, and the kids are learning quite a bit from the backyard garden and the neighbor's chickens and bees. It's true that the summers can get hot, but with all the things to keep us busy we hardly notice! Greenville is unique in that it is a small town with all the benefits of a big city.

0
0 0

Things in the South move at a slower pace and I love that for my children. The weather is mild, so summer seems to stretch a little longer and there's plenty of opportunity for lots of outdoor fun, from playing at the lake or ocean, to challenging each other to tennis matches year-round, to enjoying football games with our favorite teams, whether that's at the pee wee, college or professional level. Family seems to hold more significance in the South and that's an important lesson to pass on to our children.

0
0 0

I love raising a family in the South, we have great school districts, many of options, it is safe, we have tons of resources, a thriving economy and a great art scene not to mention delish innovative restaurants. Texas has Houston, Austin and Dallas, but don't forget the small little towns in between because those are unique and special too.

0
2 0

The best part about raising a family in the South is the weather. Since we are in Miami, it's like living on a tropical island. We have amazing weather year round, beaches, beaches, beaches!!!

0
0 0

Our blog is written by a couple different Moms, so we have multiple answers.

Liz: One of the best parts is the weather. Having lived up North previously, it's nice to not have to shovel snow often (although an occasional snowfall would be pretty). We don't have to de-ice our cars (typically). You can't even find a windshield ice scraper down here (even if you need one once every 10 years or so, you're SOL).

Robyn: The best part about raising a family in the South is the weather. We make sun tea during the summer and let the kids run around in their underwear while cooling off running through home-made (Pinterest inspired) PVC sprinklers!

0