What's the biggest misconception about living in New York?

3 76

That all people in NYC go to the theater regularly, or have been to the tourist attractions several times. Most of us who live here don't have the time or money for such things! =)

0
0 0

That the summers are unbearably hot and the winters are unbearably cold. Coming from Southern California this was my biggest fear that I would not be able to handle the extreme weather conditions. Yes, the weather changes can be a pain but I love seeing different season and the changes taking place in nature.

0
0 0

That we can't enjoy the outdoors. My daughter chased fireflies on summer evenings on a giant lawn we share with 20,000 neighbors. All 20,000 neighbors don't come out at once, so it's roomy. We go on family runs by the river, with picnics and flowers on the right and the Brooklyn skyline and Statue of Liberty on the left. The beach is a short train away (note to self -- go sometime). There's always a park to clear your head in, and it's even better to have a latte available just steps away.

0
0 0

That it's dangerous or that people are not friendly.

0
0 0

The biggest misconception I always get when I say I live in New York is 'what part of the city do you live it'. I think people forget how big New York actually is and always assume if you're from NY, you live in NYC!! Even though I only live a mere 50 miles from city, I always say I live in Upstate NY.

0
0 0

That it's hard. Or filthy. Or unfriendly. Living in New York is none of those things; it is vibrant, amazing, energizing and inspiring. And, for the record, it is MUCH easier to walk out the door and just push your baby in a stroller than it is to wrestle your precious wee one in and out of a car seat!

0
6 0

Many people assume that we live in the middle of the hustle and bustle. Not every neighborhood is like Times Square. Yes, there are places to live that can offer high traffic, but our street is tree lined, quiet and everyone knows each other. It's like small town living in the middle of the city!

0
1 0

One of the greatest missed conceptions about NYC is that the people are cold and you HAVE to have money to live there. As someone who believes that like energy attracts like energy - you will draw people and experiences to you that match your own. So many people in NYC are transplants and come from small towns. Those folks still like to smile and have manners- sometimes you may have to look a little harder to find them with the hustle and bustle in NYC but they're there. I promise. I'm one of them. I'm also someone who's not loaded but doing okay in NYC. Sure it helps to have money anywhere you live, but its like the adage says it doesn't make you happy. You can still have incredible experiences in NYC for little to NO money even. There is always something going on so you'll never be at a loss for things to do to entertain yourself or your little one.

0
0 0

That New Yorkers are mean. That is not true. You can be stopped and asked for directions and we will give it to you without an attitude and a smile.

0
0 0

That it is a difficult city to navigate. Not true! You will not find more friendly, helpful, advice-giving people than New Yorkers. We LOVE sharing our city and telling visitors what "the best" place is to shop/eat/visit. I see this all the time - strangers helping people find their destination, figure out the subway system or just grab a bite to eat (usually at some awesome food truck). New Yorkers are the best!

0
0 16

One of the biggest misconceptions is that NY'ers are rude. I don't find that to be true at all.

0
0 0

That we're all rude! We're not! New Yorkers are some of the most kind, caring, thoughtful people you'll ever meet. We're very friendly and willing to talk to anyone about anything. (For the most part; There are exceptions to every rule!) One stereotype that is true, however, is that we're constantly moving -- and moving quickly. I can attest to this. Sorry in advance for anyone who rushes by you. They're not rude, I swear! They are just busy!

0
2 1

The biggest misconception about New York is that it is not a friendly city or a child-friendly city. Like any place, we have our grumpy curmudgeons, but if we see a lost tourist, not only will we help them find there destination, but will likely plan the rest of their trip for them. New York is also very child friendly. Whether you want to kayak on the Hudson, ride a 100 year old schooner, watch a Mermaid Parade or visit the Little Red Light house, not a day goes by that you can't explore and discover something new and unique with your child.

0
0 2

That everyone is rude and pushy.

0
0 0

The biggest misconception about living in New York is that we are all rude and violent. While I will say that we are pretty "tough cookies" the truth is that this city is made up of mostly decent and hardworking people who are productive members of society. Don't believe everything you see in the movies or read in the papers!

0