What's the biggest way that technology has made your life as a mom easier?

0 0

With technology I am able to keep track, keep in touch, monitor, and expose my kids.

0
7 0

In 1998 I became a single mom to twin boys of pre-school age. A year later, my brother got me my first computer, set me up an email account and the rest, as they say, is history. I was offered a job that paid enough to let me work from home where I could fill the shoes of both mom and dad. Because of technology, I became a work at home mom and have stayed that way since.

0
0 0

On my smartphone, I have all of my kids' activities linked directly to my calendar as well as my commitments. Whenever a practice is added or a lesson time is changed, my calendar updates automatically. It is fantastic having everyone's schedule with me at all times.

0
0 0

Other than being able to entertain a feisty one-year-old throwing a tantrum in the middle of the grocery store? Just kidding (kind of). When I have any kind of parenting question, I turn to my online sources. We use an array of apps to help teach our son, Andrew. I seriously cannot imagine being a parent without the aid of technology!

0
0 0

Love the way the internet, smartphones and tablets have made life easier, especially for finding info about anything within seconds.

0
0 0

There are so many apps and devices designed to educate -- my son has so many things he enjoys doing on my phone and iPad!

0
0 3

Technology makes it so much easier to connect with people and find support and information. Rather than sitting alone with a screaming baby at 3am you can now use your smartphone to keep in contact with other Mums in the same situation. When my son was hospitalised at 2 weeks old I had the constant support of family and friends 24x7 whilst I was there with him, and hearing from other people of their similar experiences made it easier for me to get through what was a very scary time. With my smartphone by my side I always have access to friends, family, experts, and a child entertaining/distracting device, a device to record photos and videos and capture memories, and a device that lets me keep on top of my work (if I need to). I can film one of the kids doing something silly, and share it with family and friends all over the world within minutes!

0
0 0

The blogging world has been a tremendous blessing to me as a mother. It is so nice to have an online community of friends with similar interests. When my children were infants, we didn't get out much. The relationships made through blogging saved my sanity!

0
0 0

The ability to stay at home with my daughter while I work is the biggest gift technology has given me. I can do what I love (web & blog design) while earning money on my own time.

In addition, technology keeps me updated on the people and topics that I love. When I have a question or feel like connecting with others, tech is there. All the way from online learning opportunities, to the apps I use to stay connected with friends and family.

0
0 0

Technology allows me to stay on track and focused as a mom. I have access to all aspects of our family life thanks to tech. I can easily manage schedules, track my children's progress in school, plan meals and pay bills on my iPhone. I'm able to keep better tabs on details and that eases last minute stress which is always a good thing when you're juggling a family of six.

0
0 0

Grace: The technological innovation that has made the most impact in my life is the iPad. I use it with my 5-year-old son (with special needs) everyday. Videos, games, stories and lessons come alive on the iPad and he simply loves it. It is such an interactive, engaging teaching tool that it allows me to explain new concepts to my son and hold his attention far longer than I could otherwise. The iPad is easy to use and error-free, as I can undo his mistakes and start over, it gives immediate feedback and is generous with positive reinforcements and rewards, which he thrives on. No wonder he responds so well to the educational activities that we do on the device.

What I love about the iPad is that it has given my son a way to learn without being hindered by his weaknesses. For example, it reads for him what he can’t read, it allows him to learn to spell when he can’t write, and allows him to do a puzzle even though he doesn’t have the dexterity to complete a physical puzzle. This gives him the motivation and confidence to explore new activities independently.

An iPad is only as good as it’s apps, and there are thousands of good quality educational apps available, with more being developed everyday. They often cost a fraction of the price of their physical counterparts, and take up much less storage space. For every skill or issue that I want to work on, such as speaking clearly, or dealing with routines and transitions, there is at least one app available to help. Some apps can even be customized to match his skill level, allowing him to experience success most of the time. Skills that my son learns on the iPad easily transition to the real world. For example, he practices counting objects on the iPad and then we use manipulatives to reinforce the concept.

The iPad has made my life easier and happier, but its most important contribution is allowing everyone to realize how much my son knows, and how much more he is capable of learning.

0
2 1

Technology has made life as a mom so much easier!

Waking 2 kids up in the morning for school is a cinch with the iPod alarms going off to wake their little booties up. (and the iPhone alarm waking me up!)

Connecting with friends online during the day, while watching our 2 younger kids play - allows me social interaction.

My job as a blogger wouldn't be possible without technology. Now I can work my own hours, from my house and be with my children (again PROPS to you technology).

Projects never cease due to PINTEREST. This includes recipes for dinners, or art projects to keep the kids busy.

The iPad keeps my babies entertained while I am shopping or at the Dr's office.

We regularly Facetime or Skype with our family that lives out of state allowing us that face to face time - old school letters and photos just don't provide.

I know somehow our parents did it without all of these devices and technological advances - but now that it's here, I would hate to see it go away. I can't wait to see where technology takes us moms next!

0
2 20

I think the ability to accomplish so much via the internet without having to physically step out of your house is something that makes life as a busy Mother so much easier. The act of getting in and out of the car over and over again can be exhausting on a Mother and Child, and we all know how that goes... It is amazing what we can accomplish during nap time, after the children have gone to bed or while we are sitting in a waiting room. From price researching, to locating a special item, to paying bills, to sending gifts, to communicating with others- technology has simply given us the ability to accomplish things from the comfort of our own homes and smart phones, on our own terms!

0
0 0

I really can work from where ever I am. It was so wonderful to be able to take my kids to the beach yesterday and not worry about missing a webinar.

0
0 0

There have been lots of advantages to having technology around in our family, particularly for educational apps for my Kindergartner. But, if I had to pick a way my life is made *easier* (as opposed to just better) as a mom, it would probably be the reduction of 'stuff' in our lives, as a result of going digital. By having things like board games, books and other 'toys' in digital form, usually as apps on our iPad, we've been able to get rid of several shelves of 'stuff'. Like a lot of moms, I end up picking up all that 'stuff', so having less of it is a big plus.

0
0 0

Thank God for technology! It has made modern Mothers’ lives seem cushy, compared to that of our Moms’ or Grandmas’. Every moment, we use some or the other form of technology to make our tasks a little faster, a little easier and a little better. I can multi-task (run the washing machine, bake a cake and edit my blog on my laptop at the same time), spend quality time with the kids doing things that we both like (watching cartoons on TV, playing online games, reading out books to them on Kindle during long car rides) and stay organised by scheduling all my tasks as well as planning all my activities well in advance.

Technological gadgets have thrust us into an advanced life where Moms can take the help of devices and apps to reduce the time spent on various activities so that they have more time to devote on their children, even after managing their homes as well as careers. So they can spend more quality time with the kids, ensuring a wholesome upbringing for them.

For me, its the computer and broadband connections that wins hands down...I don't have to rush off to work early in the morn,with barely a hello to the kids...and return home dead tired in the evenings. I have the advantage of working from home, thanks to my PC. So I can cook for the family, accompany the kids to the dentist's, and keep abreast of all that's happening in their lives, without sacrificing my office work. A PC is God's gift for Moms like me who like hands-on parenting.

0
0 0

Even before I had children I was all about technology. I was techy even as a young kid. I took computer classes early on. And as an adult I have worked in IT for over 15 years. So I have had a good flow of tech know how going before my kids came along.

Technology makes my life as a mom easier by keeping me in touch, connected, and on time. I use technology to keep track of our schedules so I always know where we need to be. And of course tech keeps us entertained. The DVD system in my van is a lifesaver for commuting and long trips. And everyone has their little game systems or computers to keep them entertained and educated. The key of course, is moderation.

0
0 0

I'd be a big liar if I didn't admit that technology has been a huge benefit in its ability to keep my kids entertained. Whether it's during road trips or at the hockey arena, when I need to get work done, or when I want peace and quiet. Easily accessible video games has made my life easier on many a frustrating day. On the other hand, it has also been the cause of more arguments than I care to count, making this complicated, yet dominant, aspect of technology a powerful tool that can both resolve and frustrate several times over in just one day.
Unfortunately, for today's parents, balancing that love-hate relationship with our technologies will be a never-ending struggle. And, lucky us! We're the first generation of parents to try to make sense of it all.

0
0 0

Technology has allowed me to run a business from home, which has given me the time and flexibility to be with my three children when and where they need me.

Without the internet and ecommerce, I would not have been able to communicate and sell to a worldwide customer base. I was able to sell my apps via my website since 2003 (pre-iPhone), and now via the AppStore. I can answer customer service inquiries between helping my son with homework, can check my sales reports before prepping my daughter for preschool, and can promote my apps while taking a break from working on a project with my eldest daughter. Without technology I couldn't do all this from home!

0
61 0

It's added convenience, peace and security that was never available moms prior to some of these technologies. For example. I can now talk to my iPhone and ask it to remind me to put Matilda's doctor appointment on the calendar and it will send a pop up anytime I request to remind me- how amazing is that.

Baby monitors- I still use it and she is a year old. Every night I never worry I sleep with the volume at the max and I can see and hear if she needs anything. I don't know how moms did it before the amazing gadgets we get to use every day. We are so privileged.

0
3 78

Organization is the first thing that comes to mind. Overall, the ease of scheduling appointments on my phone, iPad or computer and syncing them with not only my devices but my husbands has definitely made things easier on our family. We are all on the same page now and rarely miss appointments.

0
0 0

I used to carry a thick planner book with me everywhere - it had my life in it...my calendar, my health info., my goals, my journal, my contacts, you name it, it was in there. I remember leaving it once or twice in an airport and having the sick feeling I had left my life behind. Would I ever get my life back again???

Now, my info is securely in my smartphone...and in color! I love it!

o I always have my family's health info. with me...even in the emergency room.

o I have my shopping list ready...even if it's 11pm and I haven't been home all day.

o I am reminded to pick up my son from half-day preschool, even when I'm immersed in great conversation at my Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) meeting.

o Getting lost is a thing of the past with my Maps app.

o Using Foursquare has scored me some good deals at restaurants I'm going to anyways.

o I don't have to be home to wait for important e-mail's anymore. I can get them on the fly and respond back without being confined to my office.

o I rarely miss out photographing an important or impromptu event! No more guilt in forgetting the camera! Woohoo!

o I can call my business contacts, friends, or family whenever I need too! Their contact is always easily accessible and easy to dial. Remember the old days when you were confined to your home or office to make or receive a call???

I could go on and on about the benefits of a smartphone, but there are a lot more gadgets out there that make my life easier...or at least more fun!

Gaming Consoles like the Playstation 3, XBOX Kinect, and Wii. Love them all, and so does my family. When I think back to the HOURS I spent on Atari games...and I loved them...little did I know how awesome games would be as they are today. These games make it easy to have impromptu bonding moments with my kids.

Home technology -Programming our thermostat makes it more comfortable at the right times and helps saves money. WiFi wireless technology gives me freedom to access info from my office PC from the comfort of my bed or family room. I can even listen to music, see photos, documents, and videos on my tablet or TV. With a press of a button on my tablet or smartphone I can turn on or off some of our lights and even unlock/lock some doors! See theWellConnectedHome.com for more.

I love pushing the edges and connecting the dots to see how technology can enhance, organize, and make a mom's life easier...this is my passion and the reason I started my blog.

0
0 0

As a pediatric psychologist, I hear from parents and teachers that they need actionable information fast. Therefore, beginning in 2006, I started interviewing experts, taping podcasts and producing video that would improve family life in a weekend.

With Dr. Martin Fletcher, I developed a motor math program using balls, jump ropes and marker boards, to help children ages 7-11 learn the foundational math fact families essential to later algebra. I am dedicated to earning a grant and taking the program to low-income children (Spanish and English) in 2013.

I am committed to helping people through technology who cannot afford therapy and parenting skills training. Therefore, we have over 200 interviews on blog talk radio on everything from executive function to obesity prevention to in children www.blogtalkradio.com/the-family-coach.

My site has over 300 articles, printables and videos on topics from communicating with your teens to managing a tantrum. www.lynnekenney.com. You may ask real questions and our 30 expert colleagues will answer them via podcast, video and editorial @drlynnekenney. I believe that together, we can make a difference for children and families.

0
0 0

The biggest way technology has made my life as a mom easier is the ability to keep everyone up to date on the family schedule. Although my children are too young to actually benefit from it themselves, it has helped my husband and I keep track of who needs to be where and when. Life gets busy and we don't always have the time to spend together that we would like, so having the schedule electronically and being able to assign tasks and appointments to each other helps out a ton!

0
5 0

My kids are grown and out in the world. I love being able to text them at random times. We stay connected via texts in between longer phone and face visits. Texts and sharing photos via our iPhones allows us to briefly share a moment... on a hike, in a museum, at a store "Hey look at this! I thought of you when I saw it." Or "This is where I am right now. Enjoying this moment, thinking of you." it's quick, thoughtful and loving.

0
0 0

The ability to work from home means I can be with my kids 5-6 hours a day and still work an intense and satisfying job. I video-blog for Yahoo and the crew comes right to my house to shoot the segments in my kitchen. In my role as technology Contributor for ABC news I am so lucky that I can Skype into the Times Square studios (at 4 am pacific time) and then wake my kids up and take them to school. Ok the overnight wake ups are rough, but I love that technology buys me time with my kids if not time with my pillow.

0