What's an educational game or activity you and your kids love?

12 0

Old school? Get playsilks. They will keep children busy for hours, can be used for years and are definitely worth the investment. I like Sarah's Silks and buy them in a bundle. All five of my kids (boys and girls) find ways to use them in creative and imaginative play! New school? Ipad apps like Granny's (Grandma's) Kitchen and Grandpa's workshop teach vocabulary, patterns, sequencing, reading and more and include real life videos of cooking and workshopping activities. A great bargain at $3 each!

0
0 0

Everything we do can be an educational game! From cooking together in the kitchen to going for a nature walk, we make an educational game out of all that we do. Learning should always be this fun! As for a specific game, my 4 year old Son is currently very much enjoying "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" board game. This game has us cover everything from Math to Nutrition, and he is always just as excited to make it to the end and become a butterfly.

0
0 0

My kids and I love to do projects centered around what we are learning in history. Not only is this just plain fun, but, aids in retention of facts.

0
0 6

We love games a lot and love to make them into a learning experience. Some of our favorites are puzzles, spelling games with letter tiles, math games with dice, dominoes, or playing cards. All of these are fun ways to reinforce learning. You can make hopscotch into a learning game by adding spelling words or addition facts. We love playing with our fraction pizza game, and our homemade board games. I have so many fun ideas for learning with games on my blog!

0
0 0

One of our favorite games right now is "Suspend" made by Melissa and Doug. It is a fun game that involves a lot of thought and decision making While it isn't teaching any particular school skill, it is enhancing the brain as the thoughts run deep! My 7 and 11 year old love this game!

0
0 0

Right now my kids are very into anything with art or crafts. We spend some time every day painting, coloring, or creating a new craft. Our favorite art things are See the Light Art and Atelier Art. My kids enjoy watching the DVD's with each series and completing the projects. We are also enjoying the game Art Ditto which is a game of memory with art cards that are replicas of famous paintings. My kids have learned the names of artists and their works by playing this game.

0
0 9

Our kids love maps, much to my surprise because I have never been all that fond of geography. We have a large world and United States map, as
well as poster sized continents maps on our homeschool room walls. At an early age we used songs to memorize all the states and are working on
one for states with their capitals too. We have many games that use geography such as U.S.A Bingo, Atlas Adventures,Great States, Professor
Noggin's Countries of the World, Stack the States (and Countries) iPad app and more. Our kids love to test their geography knowledge, especially
U.S. with games like these. They will lay on the floor in the homeschool room playing one of them with the huge map next to them for quick and
easy reference.

0
0 0

We used unit studies in our homeschooling, and my now-adult children loved reading books together and doing hands-on activities for each theme. I have a post with a list of all the unit studies I’ve published posts about at Living Montessori Now: http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/08/23/should-you-use-unit-studies/

0
0 0

My kids like to play any game that has movement. I adapt most of them myself and get inspiration from the simple games of hopscotch or tag. I try and incorporate these games {by adding numbers, letters, or sight words} into our school day at times.
A recent one we just did was a syllable game where I put the numbers 1, 2, and 3 on the wall with sticky notes. I had a stack of picture cards. My 4 year old identified the picture, clapped the syllables, then ran down the hall to tag the number that corresponded with the syllables.

0
0 0

We love our iPad and have many fun and educational apps installed. Some of our favorites can be found on our blog here: http://www.benandme.com/p/appschooling.html

0
0 0

We like all kinds of games and hands on activities to help make our learning experience more well rounded and memorable. Whenever possible we make crafts, recipes, lapbooks, or notebooking pages to go with our studies. This just helps make things more fun in general, but also brings your subject to life for the kiddos. They'll definitely remember something they created with their own hands!

0
0 0

My daughters love their Nabi 2's. This fully functional Android tablet was designed specifically for kids and we have found the coolest educational games/apps via the Amazon App Store.

0
0 0

We are huge fans of field trips. Since we live in Europe we spend a lot of time exploring the little villages and historical sites around us. History is so much cooler when you can see, touch and explore for yourself!
For science, we love to do nature walks and bring out magnifying glasses to check out the bugs on the plants, and the textures of the trees. Taking the time to really see the world around us is one of the huge perks of Homeschooling.

0
0 0

We love games at out house! Weekly game nights with snacks are always a hit! I encourage my children to play games during our quiet time daily when the younger chidlren are napping. This includes Marie Words, Homeschoolopoly, Chess, and card games.

0
0 0

We enjoy games like Math Bingo, as well as computer-based educational games. Anything can be an educational activity if you look for the lessons. Going to the beach and collecting seashells, bird watching, nature walks, and all kinds of field trips are all great educational activities.

0
0 0

We love to create things! I have found that when we create something after a lesson about a subject, the lesson become real! We use recyclables, clay, paint, paper, and all other sorts of crafty goodness. Learning is so much more fun and more absorbed when there is hands on exploring. Plus when you are trying to make something with the information you know and there is something that you don't know, it means that you are going to try to find out more!

0
0 0

As a family, we love playing Aggravation and Guesstures, but I'm not sure either qualifies as educational. The girls and I love birdwatching. The boy? Well, if there is some educational value in video games, he's set.

0
0 0

My kids love educational websites like Starfall.com, PBSKids.org and IXL.com It's like they're being tricked into learning, because it's fun!

We also love doing field trips to local historical villages and museums. While they are young, I've enjoyed exposing them to these educationally rich experiences, without pushing an overly educational agenda. I let them enjoy it and have fun, without being too pushy. As they're getting older, we are slowly starting to talk more about the things we're seeing and doing.

My kids have grown up with frequent visits to Greenfield village; riding historical steam engines, sitting in the famous Rosa Park's bus, chasing chickens on Harvey Firestone's family farm, sitting on the steps of the Wright brother's home and watching the Confederate Army set up camp. Do they realize this is educational? I don't think they do. One of these days, I will assign a report on the Civil War or give them a quiz on Thomas Edison and they will realize how much they have been learning all along!

0
1 24

We love our iPads and all those apps. We also love board games and printable math activities.

0
0 0

Our family lives where more often than not the temperatures tend to be on the warmer side of the thermometer. My favorite educational activity that our children and I always look forward to is and activity that I created called 'Foam Block Pool Spelling'. Here is all that you need to have some foam block pool spelling fun:

Materials Needed:
◾100 Foam Blocks (our blocks have different colors and shapes to make this a little more challenging)
◾Black permanent marker to write all of the letters of the alphabet

How to make it a learning game: When the kids get into the pool I will dump the entire bag into the water. I plan to write one of the kids spelling/sight words onto our small handheld dry erase board and hold it up. The kids then get to swim and dive to find the letters for their word. The one who spells theirs first will win.

For our children this makes spelling fun, gets them outdoors in the fresh air exercising, all while practicing their spelling words!

0
0 0

Wow, this is a good question. We have so many! I am always making up new games and activities to interest my children. A couple of weeks ago, for example, I designed a house-wide scavenger hunt using synonym and antonyms. I made matching games with states and capitals, as well as one with mathematical formulas. We love to play bingo, so I am always on the lookout for or am making different bingo games. (I even made a "Bird Bingo" for a nature study we were doing) We also really enjoy lapbooking.

As far as activities, field trips have to be a favorite. I am always trying to find educational and fun places to visit. We live in a very historical area that is also blessed to have many museums, zoos and nature centers, so we are always finding somewhere wonderful to visit! :-)

0
0 0

We play lots of games in our house. I create lots of games that combine my children's interests and the material they need some reinforcement in {you can find all these free printables on my website!!}.

We also love taking advantage of learning outdoors and field trips to local museums. We've also been known to make our vacation align with what we are studying in school. The only thing better than a hands on revolutionary war unit is actually visiting Yorktown!

0