What's a great destination for a family vacation in Canada?

1 0

Halcyon Hot Springs near Revelstoke, BC is a family favourite especially during the cold winter months. After hours spent relaxing in the luxury hot pools my kids literally passed out for like 14 hours... it was heaven.

Silver Star Mountain Resort is another getaway favourite. Only 30 minutes away from our home in Vernon, BC, but it feels like a whole different world. I love that the ski passes now include access to ALL the resort features including: Tube Town, skating on the 'pond', nordic skiing, etc. I love that most of the accommodations have hot tubs to watch the nightly fireworks.

1
0 0

Niagara Falls! It may be cliche, but there's so much to do there and we always have a fantastic time when we're there.

0
0 28

I'm all about local love. I am so happy to bring my family to places nearby Montreal that are great and special. Some examples are the local farm for apple picking, visiting the oldest windmill in Quebec, the Montreal Jazz Festival, the hot air balloon festival in St Jean and the Brome Fair in the Eastern Townships.

0
4 0

Living in Vancouver, you can point ANYWHERE for an amazing vacation. Our fun this summer was near Parksville on Vancouver Island. Beaches, petting farms, crazy golf....what more could kids ask for?

0
0 0

I would have to say Victoria, BC! It's where I'm from, so I feel like I can confidently say that it is so beautiful and has so much to offer. Plus it isn't called the City of Gardens for nothin'! It's just gorgeous. It has countless museums, a bug zoo, butterfly gardens, and you can feed seals on the pier. In the Inner Harbour there is always people selling things and even one of those cartoon artists! There is a reason people go there to retire. I would even go so far as to say that it's the most beautiful place in Canada. To me, anyways.

0
2 0

Niagara Falls is a very beautiful space to travel with your kids, everyone enjoys it, I have beautiful childhood memories and pictures with all my family there.

0
0 0

I'm a little biased, but my choice is Vancouver! There's so much to do here and the scenery is second to none. Where else can you snow ski and water ski in the same day? (Yes, I've done this!) The weather is typically great with a very mild climate, making it possible to do a variety of activities year round.

0
0 0

Montreal! Montreal is a very well-rounded, yet unique city within Canada. You've got lots of family entertainment along with a european vibe. It is definitely one of my favorite cities.

0
0 0

I always find that Vancouver is a great destination for families. I might be bias i am originally from there but i find it has something for everybody and you will definitely be able to "overfill" your days!! From the mountains, the beach, the aquarium, watersports, hiking, shopping and world class restaurants it has it all!!

0
1 0

To be honest, we haven't really gone on many vacations yet as a family, but we've enjoyed visiting Victoria. There are lots of fun kid-friendly museums & activities there, great parks, beaches & a wide range of accommodations from super-affordable to deluxe.

0
157 7

A great destination is usually something that is right around the corner, and you don't think about visiting. I try to act like I'm a visitor to my own neck of the woods and explore my own little peace of paradise. We really love farm tours. Basically if it's educational I'm on it!

0
0 0

Jasper! I grew up going on summer vacations there and then went every year during university with my girlfriends. There are lots of great places to stay in Jasper, from campgrounds to nice B&Bs to fancy hotels. Plus there's lots to do - hiking, swimming, canoeing/kayaking, whitewater rafting. You can join a tour or just pick up information at the Ranger Station in town - and the rangers are always friendly.

0
0 0

Manitoulin Island, Ontario is my favourite place on Earth. It has lots for the kids, it's a quiet pace, there are tons of great hiking trails, fishing, swimming.....and you can usually take the dogs.

0
0 0

As a child we spent all of our summers at a cottage on a lake just outside of Minden Ontario. To this day I think there is nothing better than grabbing your family, loading up the kids, the dog, the cooler and maybe even the fishing poles, and heading to any kind of cottage you can get your hands on! There is no kind of escape like that sitting quietly with your little one's at the water's edge, splashing in the lakes or walking through the woods. A cottage getaway will always be my number one summer vacation choice.

0
0 0

We discovered a FABULOUS destination at the Hôtel Sacacomie. Combining Spa treatments available for Mom & Dad with plenty of outdoor fun for the whole gang, it seems just perfect. Winter offers tubing, snowshoeing, dogsledding & more. Summer offers canoeing, kayaking, bear & beaver watching, to name a few...
The hubs & I spent the weekend "sans enfants" but are hoping to go back with the kids. Caveat: depending on the time of year, prices can run a little high, especially if you do some of the excursions. That said, it bears mentioning that variety of free activities available do add value. I'd recommend packing some snacks for the room. Food in the dining room was very good (some dishes excellent) but there aren't a whole lot of snack time options. I wrote all about it at: http://montrealmom.com/blog/the-perfect-weekend-getaway/. (As the title suggests, I'd recommend it as a WEEKEND vacation. I think a whole week would be a too long.)

0
0 0

I think one of the best family destinations in Canada is Toronto, there are many things to do as a family and you are never bored. From touring the streets of Toronto in a double-decker bus, to going back in time at the ROM. The CN Tower is always an amazing sight and Ontario Place is so much fun.

But, I'd love to explore many more places in Canada as our whole country has so much to offer!

0
0 0

Canada is truly a beautiful country, from the mountains on the west coast to the shores of the east coast. It has always been a dream of mine to travel across Canada enjoying what each province has to offer. So when I see a question that asks about a great destination for a family vacation… as hard as it is to pick one spot, my first response would be Prince Edward Island. P.E.I. is Canada’s smallest province but is very well known for its green pastures and beautiful scenery.

Have you ever read Anne of Green Gables? Prince Edward Island was the setting for this popular series of books by Lucy Maud Montgomery. L.M. Montgomery’s descendants are actually still residents of the island and you can visit the homestead in Cavendish while you are there.

P.E.I., with its thousand or so kilometers of shoreline, has also become quite famous for their beaches. Whether it’s a nap in the sun, an enjoyable day building sandcastles and swimming, or just a beautiful sunset at the end of the day… P.E.I. will have the perfect spot for you to enjoy!

I hope to make this trip with my family in the near future. I love the peace and tranquility and honestly, it is one of the most beautiful places I could think to visit.

0
1 0

Banff and the Canmore area. Beautiful scenery, nice little shops.

0
0 0

I lived in Banff and Canmore for a few years and it is really a beautiful place!

0 0

We had a bit of a second birthday extravaganza with Kale that featured an overnight in Toronto and then a trip to Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls.
Toronto is such a fun city to explore and has some pretty amazing people watching for a two year old! The Toronto Zoo and Royal Ontario Museum are great if you have a kid that doesn't mind being worn/will sit in a stroller for long periods of time/will hold your hand (i.e. not my kid). With a high energy kid like Kale, hanging out at Dufferin Grove Park or High Park is much more fun. Also - don't miss Sunday brunch at the Dakota Tavern! There is a bluegrass band that plays all morning and there is plenty of room for the littles to dance!

Great Wolf Lodge was a bit of a splurge for us, since it's pretty expensive. However, they do have sales all the time - so just keep an eye out. Regardless, it was totally worth the money! We all had a great time in the water park, the kids clubhouse, and listening to a giant tree tell a bedtime story to over a hundred kids in the hotel foyer. The food was good, the staff were amazing, and they really have thought of everything that could make a family vacation FUN.

On the lower end of the budget, we've taken Kale to a few provincial parks for a 3-4 days of camping. The parks in Ontario are beautiful (as I'm sure they are in the rest of Canada) and very family-friendly. Our little guy loved being outside so much, going swimming, canoeing, and hiking. There is usually a store or small town nearby if you need an ice cream cone and a change of scenery, but for the most part, it was all about relaxing, playing, and being together with no distractions.

0
0 0

Canada has so many fantastic travel destinations for year-round activities, but my personal favourite is British Columbia in the winter months. You can never beat sledding, drinking cocoa, snuggling by the fireplace and spending quality time away from all the hustle and bustle of the day-to-day.

0
0 0

I love exploring Canada from coast to coast but a recent trip to Montreal and the Eastern townships of Quebec was much fun. Montreal is the centre of Canada in my opinion--this is where it all started for many Canadians. Ships carrying the first wave of European immigrants docked here and our ancestors stepped on to Canadian soil for the first time (other than the very fist immigrants, who crossed the ice from Asia).
It is also a city vibrant with culture: where else in the world do two official languages co-exist with such elegance?

0
4 0

Banff National Park in Alberta is one of the most stunning places in Canada. Few places have captured my imagination and taken my breath away, Banff is one of them. Parks Canada states "In the fall of 1883, three Canadian Pacific Railway construction workers stumbled across a cave containing hot springs on the eastern slopes of Alberta's Rocky Mountains. From that humble beginning was born Banff National Park, Canada's first national park and the world's third. Spanning 6,641 square kilometres (2,564 square miles) of valleys, mountains, glaciers, forests, meadows and rivers, Banff National Park is one of the world's premier destination spots."

Families can go skiing, hiking, canoeing, enjoy the hot springs and explore nature with the Rocky mountains as their backdrop. Banff really has something for everyone.

0
0 0

Hands down Banff National Park! Pack a picnic, spare running shoes and be on the look out for porta potty's. Hikes, Gondola's, Wildlife, Skiing, and Nature. Pure heaven on earth.

0
18 8

Canada holds a huge variety of destinations for family vacations, but for us we love the Muskoka region in Ontario. It holds so much beauty and nature that it is perfect for anyone wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of life.

Muskoka is beautiful, elegant and the perfect spot for any activity you could think of.

0
0 0

I am a BC addict! Born and bred here, I have a soft spot for it. The amazing big sky up by 100 mile house where you take the kids trail riding, or the wild and chaotic coast of the Southern tip of Vancouver island, or skiing at silver star mountain (where they have kids camp and daycare and the best family new years eve events; ever!) … BC is amazing and varied in its options, especially if your kids are like mine and happy with anything outdoors!

0
0 5

Vancouver! There's so much to do and see, there really is something for everyone... I'd recommend Stanley Park & the Seawall, Vancouver Aquarium, Kids Market & Granville Island, Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, Science World, Maplewood Farm, H.R. MacMillan Space Centre, the Grouse Mountain Skyride... to name a few :) And it's beautiful!

0
0 0

My choice for a great Canadian destination for a family vacation may not be what first comes to most people's minds, but it is a beautiful spot that is dear to my heart. I grew up in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and spending time in the natural areas surrounding that northern city, among vast lakes, green forests, and solid rock formations that have seen millions of setting suns, is infinitely good for the soul. While I live in Southern Ontario now with my husband and our two sons, we return every summer to our old home town to visit family and friends, and to soak up the peacefulness of a more remote and unassuming locale. The beauty of the north has the remarkable effect of being both invigorating and calming at the same time.

0
2 0

Port Dover is a beach town that hussels and bussles in the summer with little shops, and cafes and icecream parlours, and a beautiful beach to enjoy those hot summer afternoons!

0
1 0

Bay of Fundy National Park! It's just breathtakingly gorgeous, and there are lots of campsites and opportunities for hiking. When our girls were little we'd scour the shore for rocks and crabs and shells while the tide was out. Tons of fun!

0
1 0

My girls have convinced me that the best family vacation in Canada is camping in Algonquin Park, despite the thunderstorms and unpredictable weather so often experienced in the summer in northern Ontario.
We frequently see moose, white-tailed deer, beavers and loons.
Swimming in the pristine lakes with sandy beaches is unparalleled.
One of the highlights for the children is the Visitor Centre with its theatre and world class exhibits depicting the natural and human history of Algonquin in a child-friendly and interactive way.
Now that the children are a little older (13 and 9) we like to canoe with them on one or more of the 2,100 km canoe routes.
Algonquin is Ontario’s first provincial park that spans 8,000 km of wilderness. Many beautiful walking trails are quite doable with kids as long as you keep a close eye on them because some of the trails have dangerous lookout points with steep cliffs.
Years ago, when the kids were young, on one particular weekend camping I was annoyed at the non-stop rain and numerous puddles. At night when we were nestled inside our damp tent and a mosquito buzzed around while my husband sulked, Amanda, then 4 years old said, "This is the best day of my life." We have returned every year since.

0
0 0

Tofino is our FAVE place to go for summer holidays! It is a small beach town on the west coast of Vancouver Island, in British Columbia. Good food, gorgeous accommodations, and loads of family friendly fun abound, whether you're into surfing, beach combing, whale watching, bike riding, or just relaxing while you enjoy the view with a coffee or gelato in hand!

0
3 0

It's hard to pick just one. There's something for almost every level of interest and the scenery changes from province to province.

0