What's a great destination for a family vacation in the South?

0 0

Small towns are definitely great destinations for families traveling to the South. Food, lodging and gas are cheaper. And they're more family friendly. You can discover unique one of a kind shops. I would recommend picking a small town that's at least 30-60 minutes from a larger city so that you can venture out to bigger malls and other tourist attractions like theme parks if preferred.

0
0 6

Our favorite place to travel is Orlando. It is a quick drive and the perfect place to entertain every family member.

0
24 60

Any of the local beaches are nice. The one vacation I remember the most though is going on a cattle drive with my Mom.

0
4 0

San Antonio Riverwalk. I've only been once, but there is something magical about the evenings, the warm air and twinkling lights as the river boats mosey on by.

0
0 2

Oh, the places you can go in the South! I love all of it. However, I grew up close to the Gulf Shores Beaches and there are literally none like them in the World including the South of France. The Southern Beaches are special places.

0
0 0

Our favorite family destinations are Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain Georgia and The King and Prince Golf and Beach Resort in St. Simons Georgia. These two destinations are close to Atlanta and are hands down the best destinations for building family memories! Otherwise, we love going Orlando which is where I grew up and where we visit often to see my father and enjoy a relaxing vacation whether we visit the Disney parks or just swim in the lake and enjoy local shopping.

0
1 0

I have to say the obvious – Disneyworld! I went as a child, my husband and I Honeymooned there, and we have taken our daughter, and each time I’ve been I have loved the experience. It will always have a special place in my heart and truly is for us “The happiest place on earth.”
That being said, I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you that Texas is a wonderful place to visit. Again, the obvious, you should come for the people and the food. Texas has such a wonderfully diverse history and is truly a melting pot of cultures. We have had 6 flags over Texas at one time or another. Each one of those flags represents different cultures that have shaped our state.
Our family loves going to Dallas for the weekend where we stay at the beautiful Adolphus hotel and see what’s happening at Fair Park. And Ft. Worth with all of its world class museums and the Stockyards. What about San Antonio where you learn why we’re so proud to be Texans? We try to contain most of the weirdness in Austin, and they like it that way. :) Big Bend National Park, King’s Ranch, and Caddo Lake State Park show off our natural diversity as well. Oh, and don’t miss Houston for the big Livestock Show and Rodeo.
To sum up, I think a great destination for a family vacation would be to spend a month or so touring around “Texas: It’s Like a Whole Other Country.”

0
0 0

The Alabama Gulf Coast is stunning. I grew up going to Orange Beach, Alabama. White sands, emerald waters and some of the best food you'll ever eat.

0
0 0

The ocean is obviously a good choice but I think a nice B&B tucked away in the mountains would be just as tranquil and enjoyable.

0
0 0

The beaches! Padre is fun and memorable for us so maybe I'm a little biased (I was proposed to there).

0
0 0

My husband's family has a condo in Orange Beach, so that is really the only placed we have vacationed in years. We love it there - we could stay forever!

0
0 0

Everyone loves going to Disney World in Orlando, which I think really is amazing but it is hard to go there with the park fairly dead...(my husband hates really crowded theme parks). I think Sea World, Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, and Universal are awesome family vacations as well if you are looking for theme parks. We took our girls to Adventure Island (its the water park part of Busch Gardens) and they had a blast. I'm a water park girl though. =) I an amazing family vacation spot is Gatlinburg, TN. It is beautiful and has tons to do for everyone!

0
1 0

Everyone loves going to the beach in the summer of course, but there are tons of things to do! There's festivals just about every weekend in the south. There's Mardi Gras (and you don't have to go to New Orleans to experience it). There's old homes and plantations. The south in general is rich in history and proudly displays it.

0
0 0

The beach! It's not too bad of a drive for us, and the kids love it.

0
0 0

We love Richmond, Virginia, but we are partial because our children are born and raised here. We have history, culture and an amazing intersection of industry and nature, which I find fascinating. Plus, the mountains, the beach and Washington D.C. are only 2 hours away.

0
1 0

So many charming old Southern Cities to consider! Charleston, Savannah and Atlanta are my favorites, each for different reasons. I suspect that the old-world charm that escaped the civil war and tell of a bygone era is what lures most folks. Charleston holds a special place in my heart, as Hubs and I vacationed there before we were married. I can't wait to take Red there to enjoy the market, restaurants and beaches, as well as the history, architecture and specific Carolina culture.

0
4 13

Chattanooga, TN! We took a family trip there a little over a year ago and the Tennessee Aquarium is one of the greatest attractions we've ever visited as a family. My girls thought the River Gorge Cruise was the greatest thing about the whole trip. It's basically a giant speed boat that cruises down the Tennessee River, but it gives you a whole new perspective that you can't get from the shore.

Also, just walking around Chattanooga with my girls was an experience. The Chattanooga Choo Choo was fun for them because they love trains and they got to climb into a real train, which absolutely made their day.

0
0 0

I was brought up in Virginia Beach area, although it's very nice down there, I am just SO over the hustle and bustle. I really love where we live now, in Northern VA (Western) in a small town called Warrenton. If you ever are looking for a beautiful place to visit, stop in at one of our cozy bed and breakfasts or come and visit Old Town where they have awesome family events all of the time! Not to be a name dropper, but this is where Clint Eastwood filmed one of his latest movies J. Edgar! He filmed right where my husband and I got married! How neat!!

http://www.warrentonva.gov/

0
0 11

We love to go to Hilton Head Island, SC. It is a very family friendly destination with lots of activities. There is nothing like any Carolina Beach!

0
1 0

Maybe I'm a little partial (okay, so maybe ALOT!) but I'd have to say Lynchburg! There is a lot of great history to this area and it's absolutely a beautiful, peaceful place!

0
0 0

For me, I love going to any lakes around but there are so many cool attractions that Texas just hits the sport for me in general! I hope to be able to get around all of Texas some time! There is so much to explore!

0