What's one of the first recipes you taught your kids to make?

0 0

Scrambled eggs! Easy and they feel so proud at being able/allowed to crack the eggs themselves.

0
0 0

He's a little too young for cooking yet. I do plan on making a batch of muffins with him soon (I'll let him dump some ingredients in).

0
5 0

Guacamole. They're experts at it now, my daughter even drew a picture of it the other day with the caption: "chips and gwokamoly".

0
0 0

One of my son's favorite recipes is one that he created himself: peas with dried cranberries, extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt. Do I want to eat this? No, not really. But my son loves this dish—probably i great part because he "created" it—and I'm happy that he's made a real food recipe that satisfies his soul. I think it's important that we let our children discover what tastes good to them (even if it's not something we want to eat!)

0
0 2

My daughter is 3, but she has been in the kitchen with me since day one. While she doesn't know a particular recipe, she knows and recognizes all of the ingredients! I'd say muffins and ice cream are her favorite to make with these Banana Blueberry Muffins being her favorite.
http://www.thewaytohisheartblog.com/banana-blueberry-muffins/

0
0 0

Since my little guy is only two, he's not yet able to make any recipes on his own, but he loves helping me in the kitchen. Some of his favorite things he likes to help me prepare are chocolate chip cookies (he gets to add the chocolate chips) and breakfast smoothies (he'll toss his favorite fruits into a blender with milk and yogurt). He is incredibly interested in food and cooking so I don't think it will be long until he whipping up his own creations in the kitchen. :)

http://mylittlegourmet.com/breakfast/very-berry-breakfast-smoothie/

0
2 0

Eliana turned 2 on June 14 so she hasn't officially made anything on her own yet other than a tasty mess while helping me. But, she has been spending time in the kitchen with me while I cook since she was around 6 months old by simply playing on the floor, hanging out in the carrier on my back or more recently, assisting me at the counter. My favorite cooking moment with her was making Apple Muffins together this winter. She helped me mix the batter and she enjoyed sampling ingredients too. Here's the URL of the post where I wrote all about it and shared some other ideas for getting Little Foodies involved in the kitchen:

http://teenytinyfoodie.com/someones-in-the-kitchen-with-mommy/

Another recipe we like to make together is Kale Chips. She helps tear the kale before we season it with olive oil, salt and other spices. Here's more about that:

http://teenytinyfoodie.com/kale-chips-the-perfect-snack/

0

Pizza! It's the perfect way to get kids involved in a cooking project from start to finish. No matter their age, they can help mix, knead and roll out the whole wheat dough, spread on the sauce and add their own toppings.

Here's a little tip: dice one or two new veggies -- mushrooms, olives, spinach, whatever your heart desires -- and put them in small bowls, along with more familiar toppings. Then sit back and watch what your child does with them. Kids are most likely to try new foods when they are making the meal themselves and when the new food is served in small amounts, with no pressure.

No promises, but try not to let your jaw drop to the floor when your little one decides to top his/her pizza with something new! And don’t forget to sing their praises for their hard work and willingness to try something new.

For more kid-friendly recipes, check out: http://smarteatingforkids.com/sefk/category/recipes/

0
0 0

Our family love to enjoy occasional sweet treats. One of the recipes that I made very successfully with my little ones are these perfectly Spiced Molasses Cookies which we made over the holidays. They lent Mommy an extra hand in making the dough balls and then helped roll them into sugar for some extra sweet coating. We had such a fabulous time making it. Here's the recipe if you wish to check it out. It’s a recipe that kids can truly enjoy participating in.

http://www.manilaspoon.com/2012/12/spiced-molasses-cookies.html

0
0 0

My son always loves to help in the kitchen especially when I am baking, which is inconveniently the messiest of kitchen escapades, but we have a good time measuring out the ingredients, sifting the flour, and using the stand mixer. It goes without saying that making cookies was one of the first things I ever showed him how to bake.

0
0 0

We enjoy baking together like banana bread or coffee cake. Both are easy, lots of opportunities to divide up the measuring and mixing, it makes the house smell good while baking, and of course, the best part is eating it together (especially taking a sample bite after it comes out of the oven)!!

0
0 0

I have always made smoothies with my kids. Kids of all ages love to add a wide variety of ingredients to the blender, give it a whirl and then enjoy a delicious drink in just minutes! One of our family's favorite smoothie/shakes is a Dairy-Free Raspberry Milkshake (http://laurasglutenfreepantry.com/2012/07/raspberry-milkshake-dairy-free-refined-sugar-free-vegan.html).

0
0 0

One of my first recipes I taught my kids to make is my mom's famous Banana Chocolate Chip Bread. It's very easy to make and my kids love baking. There isn't a month that goes by without us making at least two loaves--- one to freeze and one to eat right away!

0
24 0

For my son, it was Tofu Frittata. He loved it and made it several times before thinking outside the box and making it into muffins, hash browns and many other varieties of breakfast goodies. For my daughter, it was most likely a PB&J. She is not too interested in cooking or baking and prefers to sit back and watch her little brother come up with the latest creations in the kitchen.

0
0 0

We started with the typical basics--sandwiches, cereal, things that did not involve the stove. The first recipe they ever made on their own was a meatball minestrone soup we found in a kids' cookbook. My oldest is going on 11 now and can pretty much make anything as long as she has a recipe.

0
6 1

One of the first recipes I taught my kids to make was homemade pizzas. We love making those weekly as a family!

0
0 0

The kids love to make smoothies which are super simple and everyone can customize their own to their liking. One of their favorites though is a Strawberry Coconut Protein Smoothie! Only 4 ingredients, added natural protein, no added sugar and dairy free! http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/strawberry-coconut-protein-smoothie-sugar-dairy-free/

0
0 0

The first recipe they learned was spaghetti, a weekly request in our house. They had to wear oven mitts which protected them up to the elbows, and waited patiently for me to hand them each ingredient in turn. We have an electric stove so there were no open flames, but we were very careful around the very hot pot and pan. They did fantastic! Not only was it cooked to perfection but they appreciated (and ate) their dinner and felt quite proud of themselves for making it.

0
1 13

I make pancakes almost every Saturday morning, just like my dad used to when I was a kid, so that was one of the first recipes I taught to my kids. My boys love to help me mix the batter, and they're working on mastering cracking eggs. Sure, I end up scooping egg shells out of the batter a lot, but that's how they learn.

0
0 0

I'm not sure it could be called "taught" :) My elder daughter helps me in the kitchen since she's 2. The first thing she prepared on her own is my special pumpkin pie filling - she was about 2.5 by then. By now she helps me with yeast dough, any kind of whisking to be done and cutting vegetables for the soup.

0
2 0

I taught my kids how to make brownies from scratch as soon as they were old enough to walk. Since then, they have made batches to take to school functions and events, for Christmas dinners and cookouts. Nothing compares to the taste of a homemade brownie. Top one with vanilla ice cream - YUM!

0
0 7

Vegan Cornbread Muffins(dairy free and oil free) are simple to make, and the kids love them!

1/2 cup stoneground organic cornmeal
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or gluten free mixture)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (plus 2 TBSP) applesauce
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup agave nectar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a muffin pan.
Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; stir in the applesauce, almond milk, and agave nectar. Pour the mixture into the muffin pan.
Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick or small knife inserted in the top of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.

0
0 0

We make homemade waffles almost every morning. The kids always help me put in the ingredients and mix the batter.

0
0 0

My son is just now getting to the helping stage, so he really just helps with stirring, pouring, etc. His current specialty is "homemade water."

My daughter cooks with me often. It is an incredible joy to share the kitchen with her. Pancakes was the first thing she learned how to make, but my husband was the one that taught her. I think stir fry was probably the first thing I personally taught her how to make. Now at 12 years old, she not only assists me with much of my cooking, but she is an expert breakfast chef and makes the best pumpkin pie you've ever had!

My family created a bi-monthly cooking "show" we do at home called Gourmet Gladiators. My husband purchases mystery ingredients for each of 3 courses. My daughter and I are the chefs. He presents the ingredients to us at the beginning of each round, and we must use all of them in our cooking. We have access to everything else in the kitchen, too. This fun family tradition has afforded us much creativity in the kitchen, many special memories, and lots of new recipes that we continue to make.

0
0 0

I'm sure it was some sort of cookies! It's easy to have them cut the cookies out or shape them into balls. They can even stir and measure the ingredients! Kids love decorating them! Oh, and they love eating them too, of course!

0
384 0

I taught my sons early on to have fun in the kitchen. One of the easiest recipes they started with was Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Melt. Each melt has 215 calories, 8 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. The whole family will enjoy it!
http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/stuffed-pepperoni-pizza-melt-low-in-calories-big-on-taste/

As they got older they both loved to make stir fry. Here's one of their favorites, Skinnylightful Chicken Fried Rice. Each serving has 281 calories, 7 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/skinnylightful-chicken-fried-rice/

0
19 0

Probably the first recipe of any sort that I taught them to make was PB&Js. If you mean the first recipe involving a stove, then scrambled eggs. Surprisingly, the eggs didn't turn out crunchy! :)

0
0 19

My kids are still young, but they love to help in the kitchen. They enjoy helping shape meatballs and baking cookies and muffins. They've recently started making their own PB&J sandwiches for lunch, which brings a smile to my face, anytime I watch!

0
0 0

Granola - I had them put oats and finely chopped nuts on the baking sheet, help measure out the maple syrup, oil and flavorings, pour that on the tray and let them get messy mixing it all together. Today they polished off almost an entire batch of a banana bread granola recipe I am experimenting with.

0