What's one of your favorite new books for children?

0 0

I have kids who love to do arts and crafts, and so we love the children's picture book, Beautiful Oops! for many reasons. First, the pop-ups and illustrations in the book are fun on their own. Second, it has a great message for kids and adult alike--any time you make a "mistake" just think about how you can turn that mistake into a "beautiful oops." A stain or rip on a paper can be a jumping off point for a new illustration you might not have thought about before. When my perfectionist child gets frustrated with something they don't like about their artwork, I always ask them if there is a way he could turn it into a "beautiful oops." The message is great on a deeper level for adults as well.

0
0 0

One favorite? I am not sure I could honestly pick just ONE. Between my 2 year old daughter and my 8/9 year old students I have a wide variety. I think my current favorites for my classroom are the I Survived books. I use them as read alouds and my students really love them and get really into the events and the history. For my 2 year old, she really likes Lift the Flap books and she is really engaged in those.

0
0 0

This isn't really a new book but I'm a big fan of the "Pete the Cat" series. My children love Pete and the silly things he does. The stories are just adorable! My son is a music lover so these books go great with his interest in music. He loves to sing the songs and it motivates him to read even more!

0
0 0

Have a look at the Very Cranky Bear series by Nick Bland. We love all these books for their clever and funny rhyming stories complete with gorgeous illustrations.

0
3 13

My latest favorite is I'm Bored by Michael Ian Black. It is super silly and so true of young children. My own boys loved it and my students read it over and over and over again until I had to return it to the library.

0
0 0

My favorite new books for young children are Mo Willems' Elephant and Piggie books. These books are funny and smart, and they encourage my youngest son to read on his own. Each page has just a few words, so emerging readers can master the books without frustration:

"Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends."

The pictures are hilarious, and my son laughs out loud at Elephant and Piggie's antics. The characters are expressive and lovable as they navigate through Mo Willems' zany world. Not only do these books encourage my son to read, but through Elephant and Piggie's struggles, he learns about friendship and problem solving. These books are also great discussion starters and help kids understand difficult feelings.

0
0 0

Jessica says: My favorite books are the "Pete The Cat" Books by Eric Litwin! For a teaser on these books YouTube them! They are all rhythmic and "cool." "I Love my White Shoes," "His Four Groovy Buttons," and "Rocking in My School Shoes" are all educational and they subliminally teach kids how to persevere in my opinion because Pete always goes with the flow and doesn't let little road blocks mess up his day.

Casey says: My favorite books are "The Pigeon" Books by Mo Willems! When we read "The Pigeon wants a Hot Dog," "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus," etc. huge smiles are immediately plastered across their faces. I have to say, Daddy has the best Pigeon voice that even Mommy has to chuckle during storytime! These books have definitely influenced my kids' love for reading!

0
0 0

I love the Justin Case series by Rachel Vail. My son and I read it together and laughed aloud. It is about a 3rd grade boy and hits so many of the dilemmas students face in elementary school.

0
1 62

Last year, one of my Super Star Families introduced me to Pete the Cat with a gift of "Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes" and "Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes," both of which became class favorites. Every time students discovered another Pete the Cat book, they begged me to add it to our class library. With sing-along music c.d.'s and videos we found online, Pete the Cat became our partner for not only literacy activities, but music and movement wiggle time too!

0
0 0

One of my favorite new books for children is a series I just reviewed. They are called "Fobie and Friends". They are great reads but they also incorporate common phobias that children have. They come with a plush toy that make the children feel even more secure when discussing their phobia. I love the slogan, "Find the fun in facing your fears". Right now, there are three books that tackle the following: facing the fear of dark; heights and swimming in water.

0
0 0

A recent book that we've read that my kids and I love was "Finders Keepers: A True Story in India" by Robert Arnett and illustrated by Smita Turakhia. What a gem! It is based on a true story, and packed with beautiful descriptions and information about India. I absolutely love this book, because it teaches about doing the right thing (the Indian philosophy called “dharma“). This story tells about the journey of one man through northeastern India, and his encounter with a very honest little boy. The boy finds the man’s wallet, yet doesn’t understand why the man wants to give him a reward for returning it.

Universal values abound: honesty, doing the right thing, humanity, and respect are all embodied in this extraordinary story. I loved it, and I think if parents or teachers are looking for a unique book that takes place in another country, they would really enjoy "Finders Keepers."

Another great story for younger children is "Woolbur" by Leslie Helakoski. This cute tale about a spirited sheep who does not follow the "herd," teaches kids to be bold and brave, and that being themselves is fun. I love the message of becoming a leader- told in a delightful story that even the little ones enjoy.

0
0 12

There are so many! One that comes to mind that I share at the beginning of the year is "Do Unto Otters-A Book About Manners" by Laurie Keller. My second graders love it. It is a silly play on words that teaches about manners. It's a perfect reminder of how we should treat others the way we want to be treated.

0
0 0

One of my favorite new children's books is "Pirates Don't Change Diapers" by David Shannon. My 4 year old son is obsessed with all things pirate and he relates to being the big brother to a baby sister. We love laughing with this adorable story and awesome pictures!

0
0 0

I am a huge fan of Jamie Lee Curtis's childrens book collection. My newest favorite is one of her books called "It's Hard to Be Five". If you have young children, this book will make you laugh, but it will also be fun to read aloud with them. One of my favorite pages in the book says, "It's hard to be five. Just yelled at my brother. My minds says do one thing, but my mouth does another." I have a five year old daughter and this COULD NOT be more true! :)

0
0 0

I adore the book "Red & Yellow's Noisy Night (The Olive Branch)" by Josh Selig. It This is a wonderful book to read aloud to young children and the concepts that can be expanded into other types of learning are endless with this book.

0
5 0

The Adventures of Taxi Dog!

0