What's your child's weirdest habit?

0 0

Um...define "weird."

Other people's "weird" often seems totally normal to me. Meanwhile, MY kind of "weird" might worry experts in the medical community...it's so hard to judge without a basis for comparison but I'll try: My oldest daughter quacks. All of the time. She's 12. She quacks "hello," She quacks "goodbye"...she quacks when she walks (think "The Penguin" in Batman) and in a variety emphatic levels to alert us as to how she's feeling and whether or not she approves of something. It's weird. But is it any weirder then the fact that I answer her by quacking in return??

My son likes to regale us with his medical ailments. He's 8. The latest is that his "instep is bothering him." Yes. His "instep." He's like an old man from Miami. He even loves Denny's.

And his twin sister? Well, that wouldn't be fair. She was recently diagnosed with OCD so where would I start. It could be her need to walk on her hands everywhere (seriously...walk ON her hands!) or it could be that she has to kiss each of my shoulders before she goes to bed. Maybe it's her collection of tiny lanyard clippings...

3
0 23

They both lick grocery carts.

Whhhhyyyyyy?

2
3 10

My 8 yr old daughter likes to play with ears when she get's sleepy. Doesn't matter who's ear as long as it's nearby. Also she likes to sleep with books NOT stuffies, hard cold books, at least 20 of them.

1
1 0

Licking his index and middle finger on his left hand and then sticking them up each nostril.

1
0 0

I do impressions and I like to break out into spontaneous song. Drives the family nuts. Also? Just about anything anyone says, I've got either a pop culture or song reference for it. Basically, I'm exhausting.

1
0 0

lulu has one really weird habit: she tweaks my nipple to fall asleep. i know, wtf? since i stopped nursing her, the lil perv finds some kinda bizarre comfort in playing “tune in, tokyo” on my boobs. at first i let her do it cuz i felt guilty about stopping nursing at 11 months, but now, come on...this is just getting crazy. is she gonna be a teenager and have to reach in my shirt to start snoozing? dear god, at this rate she just might.
oh, and she also likes to poop on the floor. what can i say, i have a weird kid. :)

1
0 0

All three of my boys think that both underwear wearing and ass wiping are optional and overrated.

1
0 0

My children have this very strange habit of plugging their ears and going "lalalalalalala" whenever I'm speaking to them.
Weird right?
Also, they do this really bizarre thing where they DON'T laugh when I'm being completely and delightfully hilarious. Sometimes they even roll their eyes and shake their heads back and forth as if...well, as if perhaps I'm NOT funny at all.
I know.
That's just crazy talk.
Other than that, I can't think of anything weird that they do.
I think I got most of the weirdness in our family.
At least that's what my kids tell me. Daily. Sometimes hourly. Occasionally via text.
I guess they don't want me to forget.

1
1

my son always refused to go to play school. that time i got tensed and beat him more. really i worried about it later. he is 3 yrs 2 months old. tell me the way to treat him at morning when he goes to school

0
24 0

currently my 27 month old daughter is doing the Ernie from Sesame Street laugh (kinda like a tongue between teeth "sheesheesheeshee" wet sound.then insists that she is ernie. This may be better than the past few weeks she insisted she was our dog pepper, and would proceed to lick me anywhere there was skin showing. As well as bite her paws and use her arms to do the dog scratch on herself and shake her head furously like she's flapping her ears. Lets face it, i love both oddities. Too funny

0
26 0

ALL three of my kids will NOT stop putting things in their mouths and chewing on them.....and they're 14, 12 and 9. Apparently, I didn't do something right during their "oral stage" because they still act like they're teething and two of them are in braces! It's SO annoying and I have threatened to make them eat actually eat whatever they're chewing on! Erasers, bottle caps, pencils, straws, everything!

0
0 25

Answering this question is making me feel like the Meanest Mom Ever, only because I am sitting here reading a mental scroll of everything any of my three kids has ever done that is weird and realizing that maybe it's...a bit long.

In related news? ONE OF MY CHILDREN has a nasty habit of wiping their boogers on the shower wall.
I have no idea which one, and am currently in the process of trying to narrow it down using clues, such as height of placement and time of day.

0
0 0

Letting the dogs clean their face/hands after they eat. That's a habit, right?

0
0 0

My son is pretty normal in his habits, but my 5 year old daughter likes to pretend she's a dog on a leash whose name is Gabrielle. Yeah, she has a different name she wants to be called when she's a dog. Is that weird enough for you?

When my oldest was born someone bought us a leash and I put it away. When my daughter was about 3 she found the leash and insisted on wearing it. A lot of people out there are "anti-leash" and will let you know it. They glare at you, they say snide things to you and they pretty much think you're a moron who can't parent.

When my daughter wore the leash in public, we got even worse looks, because a lot of times she tried to walk on all fours and she'd bark.

She's 5 now and she can barely do up the leash across her chest, but occasionally she sucks it in and takes the hit. She begs us to walk to her and when we refuse, she holds the end herself and takes herself for a walk.

0
0 0

Oh geez, there are so many, it’s hard to pick.

I’ve got one child who refuses to flush the toilet…always leaves a lovely souvenir for the next visitor to behold.

I’ve got another child who won’t eat any fruit except Granny Smith apples. It can’t be a red apple, it can’t be a green grape. If it’s not a green apple, he won’t even look at it.

But easily the weirdest habit is Bucket Head’s proclivity for smelling things…all kinds of things…even odd or gross things I probably shouldn’t mention in polite company. In fact, I have pictures, and one of my favorite posts is about this very issue (See “It’s just a phase…I hope.” listed in my profile).

0
1 0

My three year old daughter has to draw a portrait of me every day. She is very detail oriented about this task which unfortunately means she wants to know what I'm wearing down to the color of my underwear. Years from now I'll be able to go through my awkward refrigerator art (oh, yes, much of it is on display), and be able to know which underwear I wore on a particular day.

0
4 0

Depends on which kid you’re talking about.
The 10 year old has an addiction to Legos. He walks around with handfuls of them all of the time and lays them down everywhere. I have found them on the table, in the bathroom, on the kitchen counter, in the kitchen cabinet, in the refrigerator – literally EVERYWHERE. I even caught him playing with them in church. He had brought a handful of Legos in his pocket and was building as many different things as he could with the few pieces.
The 8 year old is a diva – she talks to herself in front of the mirror, practicing which facial expressions are most dramatic and flattering. She comes up to me at the most random times of day and says things like “Mom, which is my best side?” and “Does this make me look fat?” It doesn’t by the way. Ever. She is a toothpick.
The 5 year old…well, we suspect that she may be on the spectrum. But she is so awesome that we just let her be her for now. She has the most interesting take on life, but her weirdest habit is that she shakes her head at night. She has done some version of this since she was an infant – rolling her head back and forth, rocking, bouncing, etc. It is comforting to her. Every morning her hair is knotted up to her scalp and I have to use a lot of detangler and a brush to get the knots out.
The 3 year old sucks his arm. He has done this ever since I weaned him. His fat, chubby, little arm was the closest thing that he had to a boob, and he latched onto it with gusto. As a result, there is a permanent ridge sucked into his forearm and people ask us all the time “How did he burn himself?” Well he didn’t burn himself. He has a wicked ridged hickey that he gave himself. I sort of feel sorry for any girlfriends in his future.

0
0 0

They all seem to hate doing laundry. What kid doesn't love laundry time? It's not like I don't give them snack breaks every few hours.

0
5 0

Cal ~ age 13. I will never forget the time our wee son was furious at us for something we said. What came out of his mouth next created such a mess of emotions in both Scott & I that we weren't sure whether to ground his 2-year-old ass or laugh uncontrollably. He yells, "You dumb.... DODES!" With this, he used one arm, pointed all his fingers together into a little point & "doded" down with such extreme enthusiasm that I was damn near knocked out of my seat. What started as a tense situation progressed into pure, unadulterated LAUGHTER.

Yep, our kid not only called us DUMB, but he created his own curse word and semi-vulgar hand gesture at the age of 2. About a year ago, we "brought it back" and now most of his school uses the word "dode" (until some jackass told the teacher to look it up on Urban Dictionary to see what it meant, which did NOT end well). Hey, we stand by the fact it's a harmless toddler-created word, but I LOVE the fact it sounds SO DIRTY.

We love Cal for making us laugh day in & day out and hope he ALWAYS makes laughter/humor a habit in his life.

Claire ~ age 10. Our oldest daughter is the queen of farts. Yep, farts, not hearts (though that too!). Her weirdest habit is that she can fart at just the right moment to make the best statement possible. For example... therapy time comes, she doesn't want to "work," so she arches & grunts & farts like a longshoreman until the therapists back off & give her some space. Mission accomplished.

Another choice moment is when her little sister, Lola, is pooping. Lola often struggles to "get the job done," so when she's straining & grunting & not making much headway (damn constipation!), Claire can be awake, asleep, half-in-the-bag -- it doesn't matter. She'll rip a few to create the sound effects for her sister. It's a gift, yo.

Her farts also punctuate things we say that disgust us... we can be talking about something awful, and Claire will end the "conversation" with a well-timed rectal explosion. My girl's talented.

Lola ~ age 5. If any of you have seen that scene from Shrek the Third where one of Shrek's babies projectile vomits green barf straight across the room against the wall then laughs about it... well, let's just say our Lolita puts that microcephalic ogre baby to shame. Oh yes, our girl's weirdest (yet coolest) habit is her ability to vomit up to 7 (maybe 8) times her height in total distance. Let's think that through... for an average 5 ft. tall individual, that would be like him/her spewing 35-40 ft. in distance. Granted, our Polly Pocket is only 2 ft. tall, but STILL. Our chick's got game.

She not only can go the distance, but she has an uncanny ability to almost always vomit directly in people's crotches. It's truly a hidden talent. It doesn't matter if you protect your crotchal region with a burp rag, somehow she will find a way to vomit to the side, thereby wicking up into your nether regions from the underside. God, I love this child.

0
0 0

I don't know if the flexible napping skills are "weird," exactly, but they are definitely the most noteworthy. My father-in-law tells me that my oldest son reminds him a lot of my husband, who used to crash out in the oddest places as a child. He sleeps like a log at night, too, so he seems unlikely to ever suffer from troublesome insomnia. I'd say that ability to block out the world and attend to his own needs is probably a valuable gift!

0
6 0

The Big Man slaps himself when he is happy. I asked him once why he does this. He told me he is insane.

0
0 0

I don't know if I would call it "weird" so much as a "delightful quirk," but my two-year-old is rather fascinated with touching her belly button. I'd like to think it's because that's where we were once connected when she was in my womb; however, she probably just likes to pick the lint that collects in there.

0
1 0

I am so thankful that I have an incredibly organized two year old. I expected him to be more like me acting like a little tornado and making big messes throughout the whole house. Instead I am usually the one making messes, and he is the one cleaning up.

My question is: how do houses always manage to become so dirty anyway? At my house it seems like dust accumulates at record speed. If dust were silver, I’d be a wealthy woman. While dust parades its way across my shelves, green scented monsters seem to lurk around my trash cans. In my kitchen, it looks like someone mistakenly tried to make a craft and ended up gluing pieces of macaroni onto the countertop. Try wiping that off! If that isn’t bad enough my fridge looks like a science experiment that went south.

Thankfully I have a son who loves to clean. While I struggle with our dishes that are stacked high enough to build a skyscraper, he is overflowing with joy, when I let him help me put the dishes away. Not only does he love to help with dishes, but he loves to take things to the trash.

When I feel too lazy to get off of the couch and tackle Mount Laundry, he is magically pulling out the missing socks that our washing machine seemed to have swallowed. I can’t help but feel inspired when I see a limp little sock in his hand.

Not only does he love to clean, but he loves everything to have a spot. If he is in his little bubble bath with his hair pulled up into a foamy crown all of the various shampoo and conditioner bottles are lined up. They are always in their perfect spots. I am so thankful for his organization skills because they so often make up for where I lack. At least one of us has his ducks in a row.

0
0 0

Every single thing kids do is weird. They chew off their toenails, eat debris from the Goldfish Cracker Crumb Coral Reef growing beneath the couch cushions, they talk in alien-chicken voices and have hour-long conversations with their thumbs.
My daughter skips or runs everywhere she goes. There is no walking. It may be weird, but it's adorable and shows how excited she is about pretty much everything, all the time.
My son will tell one decent knock-knock joke, then tell another two hundred that make no sense, are not funny at all, and usually don't have either a beginning, middle, end or combination thereof. Yet this makes him laugh so hard he turns red and weeps tears of joy at himself. He looks kind of insane doing this, but also so, so happy.
Weird in kids? It's gross and loud and eyebrow-raising, but also kind of awesomely normal at the same time.

0
0 0

Just one? The absolute weirdest? That's tough to answer since his oddness is like a sentient being. His strange habits are transient (because he's 3.5 years old).

I would have to say that his penchant for setting up elaborate crash scenes with a multitude of hot wheels cars is both incredibly creative and mildly disturbing. No car is ever seriously hurt and no vehicle is left behind though, so I take that as a good sign that he has a good sense of empathy.

A close runner up is that he likes to gather a small booger ball on his upper lip while sucking his thumb. When I try to clean it off he yells 'No, I want that!' and insists I put it back. Umm... no.

0
0 0

Unfortunately, I passed on my ridiculous worrying gene to my middle son. I was a horrible worrier. And for no reason at all. I'd constantly ask my mom or dad if we had enough gas in the car, if we were lost, and other ridiculous questions. My biggest fear was them dropping me off for swimming lessons and not coming back. Not only were they NEVER late, they were always right there when I got out of lessons. These fears were totally senseless but one of my quirks as a child. I remember thinking I got lost in a library and going up to a complete stranger saying I thought my mom left me there - 2 seconds later my mom said..."Andrea, I'm right here!" She was literally 2 steps away. My poor mom. My son is constantly asking me if I know where I'm going, why I turned left instead of right, why I didn't tell him we were stopping at the store, and other crazy questions. I've passed on my worst traits to my kids.

0
0 0

My 15-month-old daughter is obsessed with bellybuttons. When she greets someone, instead of saying hello, she says “beh-ba,” which means “I demand to see your bellybutton now.” It’s non-negotiable, as though she’s a cop and she’s asking for your license and registration. She will repeat “beh-bah, beh-bah, beh-bah” until you lift your shirt. The biggest problem for me is when she wants to see my bellybutton in, say, a fancy restaurant. Sometimes I can hold her off with a flash of my elbow—another favorite body part.

0
0 0

my 9 year old daughter likes to talk like a combination of darth vader, the cat in the hat and a duck...

0
0 0

Whirlwind repeats a lot of things that she hears me say. And most of those things are weird. Does that count?

0
0 0

My son is obsessed with taking the belt to my old ugly robe and sticking it in his pants to make a tail. He then proceeds to romp around the house like random animals. If I take it from him, he asks, "Where's my tail?"

My daughter is an amateur nudist, which must be corrected prior to age 13.

0
0 0

Had you asked about MY weirdest habits the words would be flowing freely here. But you didn't. So they're not.

It might take me a couple minutes to narrow down what specific habit I want to publicly make fun of my kid for.

Oh wait, I just thought of one! No, I didn't. That was a joke. Please don't cry with disappointment.

Hey, aren't kids too young to have habits? Is this a trick question? My oldest (Crappy Boy) is only five. I'd like to think he isn't stuck having "habits" yet. All the annoying and weird shit he does is just a phase.

And my other kid (Crappy Baby) is just a wee toddler. So it is no surprise that every day at noon he balances on one foot and counts down from 42 and then farts. There is nothing weird about that. Or true.

I just wrote a whole bunch of nothing to avoid answering this question. Hopefully nobody will notice.

0
0 0

Hanging out with me.

0
0 0

My son L likes to smuggle things in his pants, but around the house he rarely actually wears pants. So he's often caught with contraband in his underpants. Things like baseball bats.

0
0 0

Lining up his favourite toys and choosing which one is going to he his new willy. Seriously. It's the beginning of a life long love affair.

0