What's your family's favorite recipe for chicken or tofu?

1 0

My husband is Japanese, so we're trying to introduce the girls to that cuisine as well. Their favorite chicken dish is called

"Oyakodon" or "Family Bowl".

Ingredients:
Eggs - 1 per person
1/8 cup thawed frozen peas per person
1 cup cooked rice per person
1/4 sauteed onions per person
1 tbsp soysauce per person
1 tsp brown sugar/mirin per person
1 palm-sized portion of cooked chicken chunks per person

For each individual bowl:
Basically, you put cooked rice into a bowl,
Cook chicken chunks - whether breast or thighs, up to you - and put on top of rice.
Saute onions and put on top of chicken
Lightly beat raw eggs and add a little soy sauce and either mirin (japanese sweet cooking wine) or brown sugar - and then cook them with only a little stirring (traditionally, the eggs are left a little underdone, but cook them as much as you like) they should taste a bit sweet/salty to taste so add more soy sauce or mirin/sugar as you like.
Then put the eggs on top in the bowls,
Then sprinkle the peas on top.

Serve and enjoy!

1
0 0

Easy Chicken Shawarmas!

My kids LOVE them and they enjoy putting whatever they want on them!
You'll grill a dozen boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins after sprinkling them with either an easy greek seasoning in a jar or really, your favorite rub from a basic salt, pepper, oregano, garlic type mix.
Take one Pita, Wrap, Lavash - whatever your family likes, and spread any or none of the following first:
Tzatziki (garlic cucumber greek yogurt spread), Hummus (of any flavor), Plain Greek Yogurt, or any kind of sandwich spread.
sprinkle some of the diced up grilled chicken and top with any or all of the following:
finely diced cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, onion.
Wrap them up and eat them! Delicious!

1
0 0

My kids love tofu and will eat it almost any way - even plain, extra firm tofu cut into cubes. But they like it best marinated in a homemade dressing of soy sauce, orange juice, ginger and garlic, then baked and added to stir-fry with whole wheat udon noodles, lots of veggies, and peanut sauce. I often throw it into fruit and yogurt smoothies for an added protein boost, too.

1
0 0

I'm more or less a torta addict. OK, more. A torta is a Mexican sandwich and is completely the bomb. I take chicken breast (though leg meat or thighs work too) and marinate it in a Mojo marinade. My favorite is made by Goya and can be picked up for a couple bucks at most grocery stores. Its best if the chicken marinates for a day but if not, that's OK. I then grill the chicken and put it on the telera roll (Kaiser or any kind of bun/roll works too) with my homemade mango salsa (mango, jalapeno, cilantro, onion, tomato. lime juice), cilantro and homemade guacamole (avocado, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, tomato, lime juice, cumin, cayenne and sea salt). Traditionally it has refried beans and cheese although I leave those off to save a few calories.

Esta bien amigos.

0
0 0

Chicken is eaten a lot around our house, in many different ways. My son loves chicken nuggets (of course) but my girls are more open to eating chicken in different forms as well. Just this weekend we had Cajun chicken pasta, and they gobbled it down. One recipe that is very similar to this pasta is something called Chicken Spaghetti (link below). It's got to be, quite possibly, the easiest chicken dinner around. One last go-to is just slicing up a few chicken breast into tenderloin sizes, adding a bit of oil to a frying pan, and cooking them until golden with a little seasoning (any that you choose really) then serving with a little honey mustard.

0
0 0

We have a new favorite that is just my style... easy!
4-6 frozen chicken breasts
1 can corn (drained)
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
8 oz. cream cheese
Jar of salsa or can of rotel
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Great for a meal and even better the next day as a dip.

0
1 11

Oops, forgot to say to put it all in the crockpot!

0 0

Easy is important to me! I throw chicken breasts into a zip lock with Costco's Organic mixed seasonings over night, and throw it on the grill. Then we either eat it with salad or broccoli, or we slice it up, add tortillas and cheese, and call it fajita night. Yum!
My kids don't care for tofu, but if you throw a little in the blender with a strawberry smoothie, they'll never know.

0
0 0

I roast a chicken once a week and whatever doesn't get eaten that night is great for leftovers, in a salad or as chicken salad.

I take a whole chicken with the skin and throw on some salt and herbs de provence. Then I slice up a couple of chicken and squeeze them over the chicken. Add a few teaspoons of balsamic vinegar and a bottle of non-alcoholic beer. Rub it all in to the skin of the bird and get some underneath the skin if you can. Throw in some potatoes, onions, whole garlic cloves and carrots in the bottom of the roaster and mix it all up in the liquid. Put it in the oven breast down for about 30 minutes at 350. After 30 mins turn it once and cook it breast up until finished. We love it and I serve it with rice pilaf or couscous. My daughter loves to munch on the legs. delicious and very easy!

0
0 0

Our go-to chicken dish is always a version of Cat Cora's Cinnamon Chicken. Here's my blog post featuring the recipe.

I hope you like it as much as we do!
Aidan
letters from my dining table in the south of france.

0
0 8

http://www.conjugatingirregularverbs.com/2012/02/cinnamon-chicken-some-more-stuff.html

0 0

Blazingly simple lemon chicken, leftover from bachelor cooking days:
1) boneless skinless chicken breasts
2) coat liberally with lemon pepper
3) place in a baking dish
4) slice 8-12 lemons into wedges and squeeze juice over chicken
5) bake at 350 degrees until done

0
0 0

Grilled Citrus Chicken

Who doesn't love grilled chicken? This is one recipe that all of my picky eaters love, is simple to prepare, and easy on the wallet. It's a quick and easy marinated grilled chicken that you can use for salad, tacos/burritos, wraps or just by itself:

The HUGE list of ingredients:
2 - 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (we prefer breast tenderloins, but any cut will work)
1-2 packet(s) McCormick Citrus Marinade (prepare as directed on package with vinegar, oil & water)

The INTENSE prep directions:
Mix the marinade by dumping it all in a gallon-sized ziploc baggie. Throw in the chicken. Marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes - overnight is best unless you decide to use fruit juice in the marinade. Juice tends to toughen the meat if left on more than an hour, but it really perks up the flavors in this stuff.

The HORRIBLY TIME CONSUMING cooking directions:
Grill the chicken on the BBQ or broil in the oven until done - the grill usually takes about 8 minutes, the broiler 10-15, depending on the cut of meat you've used.

Convincing the family to eat it:
I like to pair with grilled corn tortillas, fresh sliced avocado and a mango salsa. Another option is slicing and throwing on a plate of tossed green salad, or mixing with some prepared brown rice and stir-fried veggies sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Table Blend(r). The possibilities are endless!

0
0 0

Roast chicken is my favorite, and my wife and young children love it. It's so easy and so versatile. I used to do it with lemon, ginger, and thyme, but I was recently inspired by Marcella Hazan to make one Italian style. She had some simple suggestions, rosemary and garlic primarily, that turned a weeknight chicken into a surprise trip to a trattoria.

The nice thing, too, about making a roast chicken is that it doesn't take much active labor. It will be in the oven for about an hour, but you can spend that time playing with the kids, doing homework, watching TV, reading a book, or whatever you want. I encourage you to try it. Just remember, you can do it!

0
0 0

For a really quick chicken dinner, I will cook up chicken with taco seasonings. Then put that chicken in tortillas with canned beans, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, bell peppers, lettuce and whatever else I have on hand in the in the fridge. And voila- burritoes for dinner! The great thing is we can leave out one item for any picky eaters' portion.

0
0 0

These BBQ chicken drumsticks are a dinnertime staple and one of my family's favorites. I can toss the chicken in the marinade the night before and cook them up in less than half an hour.

Bonus trick: when drummies go on sale, I'll buy two packs, make a double batch of the marinade and freeze half of them in a gallon zipper bag with the sauce. This may be the only time that freezing actually improves a cut of meat, since the flavor just soaks all the way through!

0
0 0

We lovingly call this recipe Sahara Chicken. Blended families are brutal! My husband made this the first time and it turned out a little dry. My youngest daugher was busting his chops about the dry chicken and she said it was so very dry, like the Sahara. The name stuck. If you don't overcook the chicken, it's actually very tasty. My husband is paranoid of all food related illnesses hence he leaves it on the grill too long. We marinate chicken breast in a bottle of Italian salad dressing over night. Throw it on the grill the next day. We grill enough for lunches too. We serve the chicken with twice baked potatos and broccoli. Delicious!

0
0 0

Favorite chicken dinner in less than 20 minutes!
Ingredients:
Pasta
Rotisserie chicken
Broccoli
Garlic
Red pepper flakes
EVOO
Parmesan cheese
Check out full recipe here: http://wp.me/p1vFjo-Y5

0
0 0

I have a love affair with the crockpot especially if I have a busy day coming up. I put about a pound of chickenthighsin the crockpot with 2 T of taco seasoning, a a can of cannellini beans and a small can of green chilis. This cooks on low for 5-6 hours. I then shred the chicken and wrap it in tortillas with cheese, sour cream, salsa, etc. Easy, relatively healthy and something that my entire family will eat.

0
0 0

I have been into slow smoked whole chicken lately. My dad loaned me his smoker for the winter and I have crafted a wonderful rub for the chicken with brown sugar, salt, pepper and a hint of cayenne pepper. First we marinate the chicken in apple juice, cider vinegar and spices for 24 hours, then I rub it and let it sit another 24 hours. Next, it's onto the smoker. I use hickory and apple wood. The chicken stays in the smoker for about 3-4 hours and when it comes out it is absolutely "pull off the bone" tender and delicious. I make a barbecue sauce with some of the leftover marinate and juices from the chicken. We serve the pulled chicken over rice with black beans (doctored up with sauteed onions and garlic) and corn. UNBELIEVABLE! I use the leftovers for chicken salad and the smokey flavored chicken adds a nice dimension to this lunch time favorite. Try smoking a chicken- you won't be sorry!

0
0 0

My family loves it when cook boneless/skinless chicken breasts on the George Forman grill. I season with a little salt and pepper and spray on a bit of olive oil to help the breasts get a golden grill. My husband eats his as is. My daughter and I like ours slathered with Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce - with extra sauce on the side for dipping! I usually serve this with a baked potato and veggie. I make the sides in the microwave while the chicken is grilling. The whole meal takes less than twenty minutes.

For even quicker meals, I'm a big fan of the grocery store's rotisserie chickens. We eat it as is the first night, usually with backed beans and potato salad from the grocery store. Then I'll use the leftovers to make tacos, chicken salad, soup or casseroles the rest of the week.

0
0 0

My son is an extremely picky eater, but chicken is the one food that he'll eat. But that can get quite boring...
And since I am a Mom, I'm always looking for quick, easy and tasty ways at cooking chicken.
I found this awesome recipe from Rachel Ray's Magazine. I'm not sure what issue it was from but it was a huge hit with my husband and 3 year old.

No-Peeking Peking Chicken:

8 bone in chicken thighs (skins removed)
3/4 cup chopped scallions
4 cloves chopped garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp sesame oil (we've made the recipe without and it turns out just as yummy)

Put the chicken in the slow cooker.
Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.
Cook on low setting (4 to 5 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees)

Wha La.
Easy Peasy ;)

0
0 0

My current favorite is broiled tofu with a ginger-soy marinade. My husband only likes tofu if it's really flavorful and has just the right texture, and this recipe and preparation method fits the bill. I gave our almost-8-month-old son a couple of pieces to try the other day, and he seemed to like it, too. This is great timing, because I just wrote a post with the recipe -- enjoy!

http://hergreenlife.com/2012/03/07/broiled-tofu/

0
0 0

I love to grill chicken. Last summer I made a strawberry pineapple chicken. I took chicken breast, chopped strawberries and pineapple, wrapped it in foil (which I lightly covered with olive oil, and let it cook on the grill. The juices from the fruit seeped into the chicken and it was so tasty! I've also done it with mango as well. Served over baby spinach & a tangy vinaigrette to create an opposites attract explosion of flavor! You can add additional items to your salad of course!

0
0 0

To be completely honest, it's a good old back to basics, succulent, tried and tested recipe called......."Roast chicken"!!! Seriously, my family absolutely craves the simplicity and nourishment that a good old roast chick provides!!! It is wholesome, delicious, and evokes memories of togetherness and ritual. And now you've made me hungry.....so I'm off to hunt a bird!!!

0
1 0

My family loves chicken in any way shape or form! However, they really like my chicken strips. We use chicken breasts to make them extra tender and delicious. We only make dinners that everyone can enjoy, and these fit the bill. My favourite part is the hint of orange in the panko crust! Seriously yummy for little and big kids.

0
0 0

I am a vegetarian so I use tempeh, which is fermented soy. I don't love tofu. Tempeh is more chewy so it is more "meat" like. It is really good for you. My recipe includes fried brown rice, pineapple, liquid smoke (great ingredient) and tempeh. See the recipe here http://bit.ly/h870hj

0
2 1

We marinade tofu in teriyaki sauce for the day and then broil them in the oven very quickly for a nice, easy dinner with some rice and vegetables. Another favorite tofu dish that we eat at all times of the day is baked tofu scramble. We add all kinds of vegetables/salsa/vegetarian sausage to the mix to change things up and enjoy it regularly. Hope this helps!

http://ministrytomotherhood.com/2011/11/21/easy-baked-tofu-scramble/

0
6 0

I make a nachos recipe that my daughter and husband love containing chicken... (I RARELY eat meat so I simply leave the chicken out of mine.)

Take nachos chips, make a delicious home made tomato salsa. add some cooked chicken then cheese and mushrooms (optional)
GRILL then add cream cheese and avo guacamole

take a look at the link for full recipe and easy homemade SALSA :)
You never know if may become one of your families favorites too :)

0
6 0

here is the link : http://bettybakeblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/nachos-con-pollo-nachos-with-chicken.html

4 279

I recently made this very fast tofu with quinoa recipe, thanks to Trader Joe's :) I just combined two Trader Joe's items: their frozen Quinoa Duo and marinated/ready-to-eat Organic Baked Tofu. Took 10 minutes and was so yummy.

Recipe: A Fast Vegetarian Meal Thanks to Trader Joe’s

http://dagmarbleasdale.com/2012/01/recipe-a-fast-vegetarian-meal-thanks-to-trader-joes/

0
4 0

We have several favorites (meaning the kids like them, we like them, AND they're easy to make!):

Vietnamese Grilled Chicken (surprising ingredients turn into something amazing together, our kids gobble this up, and trust me, they are just as picky as the rest of them!)
http://tessadomesticdiva.blogspot.com/2011/04/vietnamese-grilled-chicken.html

Arroz con Pollo (served with warmed tortillas, this is one dish wonder with pantry ingredients!)

Easy Homemade Chicken Soup. Nothing quite as comforting as a steaming bowl of fresh homemade soup. This one is incredibly good and WAY easy!

0
0 0

I'm just getting my kids to start liking tofu. Usually I use an Asian seasoning mix to cook them up with vegetables so they taste like something we get at our favorite Asian restaurant. Tofu's also a great substitute for meat if you do Meatless Mondays at your house.

I've also experimented using tofu in smoothies. I think my kids like those the best!

0
3 58

A family favorite in our house is definitely Pizza Chicken! My son actually came up with this fun idea (a twist on chicken parmesan). The bite size chicken pieces are great for young eaters and it is healthy, fast and delicious! Serve over your favorite pasta and enjoy. :)

0
3 58

http://www.ameessavorydish.com/2011/10/pizza-chickenkids-in-kitchen-allens.html

0 0

One of my family's favorite chicken dish is Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese! I love it because I make it in a slow cooker and it doesn't take any additional pots, pans, or cooking. You throw in some choppped chicken, veggies, uncooked pasta, cheese, and a few other ingredients and it's ready in a couple of hours! So easy and delicious!!!

Recipe:
http://snappygourmet.com/2012/02/23/slow-cooker-buffalo-chicken-macaroni-and-cheese/

0