What's your favorite family tradition?

1

Why is this tradition your favorite

0
13 26

The yearly Summit
Friday night Pizza and a movie on the couch.
Sunday hot dogs after church.
The first week of every school holiday we buy all the "wrong" foods and hibernate on a Christmasbed in front of the TV watching our fave series in one go.

0
1 16

So much of my childhood was steeped in tradition that I can't name a personal favorite. However, one that I've continued with my own child is that of Christmas cookie decorating. This is one that my whole family used to do a couple weeks before Christmas, and it goes the whole day. There are usually flour fights, lots of frosting (everywhere), several dozen cookies, and a whole lot of laughs. Doing this with my daughter has been stressful some years, but mostly fun. I've learned to let go of keeping things clean and tidy and just enjoy the experience.

0
0 17

We love all the magic, love and happiness that surrounds Christmastime, so we love opening a gift on Christmas Eve with our daughters. We also enjoy having an Advent Calendar every year and decorating inside and out together.

0
1 13

Spending time together with the family is a unique way to create traditions. Annually for New Years Eve and 4th of July we go to the beach in the evening to watch the fireworks shows.

0
5 0

As a creative gal, I love holidays that require a little creativity. Halloween means carving pumpkins and we carve ours after a grilled cheese dinner.My husband rolls his eyes kinda but he ends up enjoying the process. We put candles in them and set them where we can see them while we watch a scary movie.

0
0 0

Tradition is not something that my family particularly values. I prioritized it for my entire existence- until I had kids, when I realized that I was choosing to do things because they were "tradition" rather than because we enjoyed them. Then fluidity and flexibility became more important to me.

Now, we are committed to changing what does not work and doing things that make us happy. I would say that our favorite family tradition is not having the pressure of following tradition.

0
0 0

My kids are crazy for the Elf on the Shelf. That sneaky little bastard, named Diego Halsted in our house, has shown up in our blender, on the toilet, hanging off a gallon of milk in the fridge, dangling from a pendant light in our kitchen, and, my personal favorite, draped around a bottle of wine. The key is setting a calendar reminder to move the damn elf every night.

0
0 15

My favorite tradition doesn't seem that big of a deal but I love sitting at the table for meals. When I moved out of my parent's house, it was a big deal to me that we had our own dining table with a seat for each of us. There were four place settings. Our family grew by 2, we outgrew our table, and purchased another. Our new table seated all of us with a little room to spare. When my relationship with my then husband dissolved I placed his chair outside because I couldn't stand to see an empty spot. I didn't want any physical proof that there was anything missing in my family, and nothing broken. I brought the chair back inside when I met my now boyfriend. Our baby now sits in between his siblings. Every chair is filled and sitting at the table with my entire family, makes me glad. It's the little things and the physical proof that my heart is in fact, full. Recently we decided that since the table is a little weathered from tiny hands and big spills, we should buy a new one. Maybe even one that could fit one more chair.

0
0 0

Each year on my son’s birthday I hire a professional photographer to come to our home and take family photos. We gather around the dining room table to sing happy birthday while Braeden blows out a candle on a cupcake. We giggle in the nursery, snuggle on the couch, and are able to have our love for one another perfectly captured within the comfort of our home.

Our photo shoot, taken during one of the most magical days of the year, is a tradition I hope will last for many years to come. Or at least until he’s a teenager who no longer wants to snuggle with his mama while having his picture taken.

0
0 0

It's funny because we've not set many 'new' traditions in our house. We really just roll with the punches for the most part here!

If I had to name one though it would be on Christmas Eve when the boys get to open their Christmas jammies (generally fleecy and soft) and we all snuggle in for story time before bed.

0
0 0

Being that we are first time moms to a little girl, who is currently 4 months old, we don't have many traditions just yet. However, we cannot wait to start making them and already have some ideas for the upcoming holidays.

0
6 63

My favorite family tradition has become Halloween. We've only started it two years ago, but we do a family dinner with the grandparents so they can see the kiddos and trick or treat after. This year we invited a friend and her family - an added bonus and a new tradition!

0
0 296

Family movie nights! We're all offline and connected, in comfy pajamas with yummy snacks.

0
0 0

Birthdays. When my daughter was a baby we snuck into her room and covered it in streamers and balloons. To this day we still love to do it to both our kids, anywhere we are, hotels, home, cruise ships.

0
0 0

We have a lot of little holiday traditions throughout the year, but one tradition that I have really enjoyed is our summer journaling. Each summer since the kids were little, I had them write/draw (depending on age) in response to various fun questions I'd ask them. Sometimes the topics were about what we had done that day, sometimes it's a thought-provoking question, sometimes it's a "letter to Mommy" about something important to them.

I started doing as a way to practice their writing skills (the former English teacher in me!), but I found that they loved doing it, because it gives them a chance to share something special with me. And I usually write back a response of some kind, so they look forward to reading it. We don't do it during the school year since there's so little time, but I find that their journals have not only helped them get used to getting their thoughts down on paper, but have also become a way to preserve memories of their childhood. They already love looking back at their older journals and reading through their own thoughts from years ago.

0
0 0

Our favorite family Tradition is game night. Once a week, my hubby, 10 year old and I play a Wii game or board game. My husbands swears he hates games, but we are all laughing and having a great time once we get started.

0
0 0

We are a "young" family, so we are starting a new tradition this year that I am looking forward to - and that is, hosting Thanksgiving. I'm really hoping that I don't burn the turkey. But I do know that I can make a kick-ass apple pie. And, I will be able to drink a whole bottle of wine since I don't have to drive anywhere - woot!

0
0 1

I would have to say our family home evenings, the fact that every week we have time as a family that is focusing on our faith.

0
0 0

We're still creating our family traditions as our daughter is only two. Christmas is always my favorite time of the year. On Christmas Eve we throw a party for all our whole family. Then on Christmas day we wake up have breakfast and open our presents together.

0
2 0

Thanksgiving for sure! I love having the entire family together under one roof and cooking up a storm. I also love our sleepover weekends when the grown kids come home and we spend the weekend watching movies, eating pizza, and being goofy.

0
1 0

Right now, Friday nights in our house are movie night. We give the girls their baths before dinner and eat pizza in our pajamas before snuggling up together and watching a favorite movie together. It's the perfect way to end a week.

0
0 0

Probably when the kid are sooo uber excited about Christmas that they skillfully con me into lugging 10 oversized Rubbermaid totes out of the basement, tear through them like spider monkey's on crack- spilling what looks like the vomitus of Christmas past onto my kitchen floor... and leave.

Like clockwork.

Holiday tradition indeed. It's the thought that counts, right?

Did I mention my kids have ADHD?

0
6 0

My favorite family tradition is going to our church's Christmas Eve service, then attending the Point Clear Grand Hotel's Christmas Eve party.

We live in Fairhope Alabama which is also home to the Grand Hotel. The "hotel", as the locals call it, is also our country club.

I love watching my children run around the "hotel" with their friends on Christmas Eve with excitement and anticipation of Santa coming the next morning.

I love listening to the carolers in the hotel lobby and the popping of champagne bottles. I also love the beautifully displayed Christmas appetizers, and all the Merry Christmas wishes and hugs from neighbors and friends.

If you want to know more about the Grand Hotel then check out my blog post about our "hotel." http://www.chicfamilytravels.com/family-resort-reviews/fairhope-alabama-the-grand-hotel-review/

0
0 1

As a family with two small boys, we love to take day trips around our state. The short visits to local venues keep our days fresh and fun. Each year we go to a local orchard for apple picking, cider donuts and lunch - this is probably my favorite tradition so far!

0
3 0

Every Friday night our family plans a family fun night. We started this tradition five years ago. We all stay up late, eat special snacks, play games and just enjoy each other's company. We end the night by everyone camping out in mom and dad's bedroom. As the kids get older, it gets more squishy in our room --- but it's still fun!

0
0 0

Waking the kids up in the morning. I usually snuggle beside them for a few minutes while they tell me what their dream was and what they plan on doing for the day. Their cheeks are just so warm and kissable, and after a good rest, they're usually in a great mood. It's my favorite time of day.

0
7 0

Probably reading together before naps or bedtime.

0