When is baby old enough for juice or other beverages?

When your infant is very young, he is probably on a steady diet of breastmilk or formula. But gradually you want to start introducing other items into his so-far-just-liquid diet. When is baby old enough for juice, cow's milk (or other types), and things like that?

3 22

When the doctor told me my boys were old enough around 6 months. However, we have kept juice as a special thing, they get it at grandmas sometimes and every so often when when eat at McDonalds. We strongly enforce water and the necessary amount of milk. My children will not be having pop anytime soon. The first time will probably be at a sleep over where it is out of my control. My children rarly ask for it and seem to love water. I believe that because of this and good teeth brushing is why my pediatrician always tells me that my children have the nicest teeth. Like most parents you would rather not pay of unnecessary bills. I know I wont be paying for teeth to be pulled out for my kids anytime soon. And posibly not at all, like myself with perfect teeth. My opinion is yes it is exciting to hear the your child is now ready for something new like a sippy cup and juice but not let it be an every day thing.

6
7 6

Same! My todder loves water and also she likes brushing her teeth because she thinks it's grown-up!

4 0

you can actually buy juice for infants now the same companys who do formala milk make this juice and all my 3 children have it. it really annoys me when people go on about juice being bad for your teeth but real fruit juice is fine me bieng a dentist myself annoys me that people dont understand real fruit juice as the same if not more sugars in them which decay childrens teeth more. my children aged 4, 7 and 10 have drank normal robinson juice from the age of one my 10 year old lost his first tooth at the age of 9 they usually start losing teeth at the age of 6 my 7 year old still as all her teeth so that just proves it to me.i am a firm beliver in doing what you feel is best for your kids i started feeding my children solids by 5 months cuz they were so hungry my kids have never been over weight you do what you think is best your the mom x

2
4 10

My bub is now 8 months and just the other day I blended up fresh banana, peaches, rockmelon and grapes in a magic bullet and gave it to him on a spoon as he's not quite ready for his sippy cup yet and he absolutely loved it! I don't like store bought juices apart from the Nudie juices, everything else has way too many preservatives, sugars and additives, it wasn't what we were designed to drink! 100% fresh fruit and veg juices all the way. It might take longer to make than just pouring it from a bottle but it's worth it for our babies health in the long run!! :))

2
1 0

I totally agree!! Parents need to read labels and pass on anything that isn't 100% juice. Juicing at home is even better!

1

We live in a really hot climate, and baby boy was refusing milk in the heat, so at three and a half months the ped. Recommended an oz. to two oz. of apple juice a day to replace fluids and electrolytes, so he wouldn't get dehydrated. He loved it, I don't know in general however, I think that was just recommended to make sure he had enough fluids!

0
0 0

0
2 0

babies really don't need juice..but if you do give your baby juice you should dilute it with water at least 50/ 50. and at 6 months it is a good age to start giving water to baby in a sippy cup :-) makes the transition to sippy cups a bit easier.

0
3 3

My 3 year old has had juice less than 3 times... and that is how I plan on keeping it. My 9 month old hasn't had anything but formula and a few sips of water. I think juice is completely unnecessary and only adds empty calories and sugar to their diet. At my son's first dental appointment, the dentist told me "I see more children with cavities from juice than I do from not brushing teeth." That sealed the deal with me. No juice in my home. At my son's Mother's day Out end of year party, I signed up to bring drinks so I could ensure that there was water available - every child was drinking juice. I asked mine if he wanted juice or water (I didn't want him to feel left out if he noticed everyone else drinking juice) and he chose water! Way to go my boy!!

0
6 10

I gave my child juice when he/she was eatting baby food. I have 3 children 1 boy and 2 girls.

0
178 0

I was told no cow's milk or water until 1 year, and I followed that. Around 18 months I introduced juice, REALLY watered down. But, I regard this as one of my bigger parenting blunders. Of course he took to juice immediately and never wants water. With my second, we will definitely be holding off on juice for much longer, and making sure water is more of a basic part of the diet. My son's teeth are ok, but I don't like how much sugar he's getting from it. But, we always water it down significantly. Full juice is reserved for birthday parties and restaurants. Oh, and absolutely no soda. He conveniently doesn't like it, but we're not going to promote that. Yeah, he'll want it someday and I will allow it in moderation, but for now, no. It's completely unnecessary.

0
1 0

Children only have the ability to eat and drink what you give them. If he doesn't want water but thats what u give him and he's thirsty...he'll drink it!

1 0

I Started to give watered down applejuice to my daughter when She Started on regular meals. I now allow her, being Three now, occasionally fanta but no Coke, when her Friends and Cousins Drink it. She does not Request it and i don't buy fizzy Drinks.

0
7 18

We didn't give our son milk until he was a year old and the pediatrician said go ahead. He was born 9 weeks early so we wanted to make sure he got all the nutrition possible. He didnt get juices until he was using a sippy cup (past age 1) and then we mixed it with water. Fresh fruit and veggies are definitely best! And water!!! We cant stress enough to our 6 year old the importance of water.

0
0 11

kids should never be drinking juice! its bad for them.

0
1 0

Juice loaded with sugar and other crap is yes but not all juice is bad. Is all fruit bad?

11 18

My eldest started on juice around 8 months. We wouldn't allow here to have it in a bottle so she never really took to it. She drinks it occasionally but not often as she hates sippy cups. She would rather water in a bottle than juice from a sippy cup. We found that when we go out she would happily have a smoothie. At nearly 2 her current favourite is the frappes as they are mostly ice based with a bit of milk and i get them to only put half the amount of flavouring in if at all. That is her treat when we go out now. Otherwise she is just a milk and water bubba. Our youngest hates juice and would rather steal her sisters water than anything else. She has just really gotten into solids at 9 months and otherwise just has formula (she refused flatly to breastfeed no matter how hard we tried) and water. =)

0
10 41

at 6 months+ if the baby can drink out of a sippy cup, juice can be introduced safely. Cows milk should be refrained until a year, and the healthiest is breast milk or formula and water with floride enhanced. I introduced apple juice for my first daughter mixed with her rice cereal to balance her out (the rice would constipate and the apple juice would loosen bowels)- Just like anything else that is sugery, i would not reccamend before bed, brush after...but it is not harmful for your baby.

0
3 3

juice is not good for your baby- you might as well give them a bowl and just sugar. Give them fresh fruits and veggies instead - they get all of the nutrients without all of the extra stuff.

20 7

6-8 months it's when they can start having juice...we always water down juice to a 50:50 ratio and our kids are only allowed to have it once a day. I think key is not giving them juice as their primary sourc :)e of liquids.

0
4 3

I started giving water after 6 months but won't give juice until well after 1 (probably after 2). I might introduce an alternative milk (almond or coconut) after 1.

0
9 16

My doctor told me juice to babies is like pop to adults we started her off on water and that was the best thing I have ever done. She is now 2 and asks for water instead of juice. We do give her some juice here and there but we do more of the Capri suns that are just flavored water they have 8 grams of sugar compared to 28 grams in the 100percent juice. Just a suggestions it truly is awesome to have the only kit that lives to drink water.

0
54 1

My son is 8 months old and I've started to give him juice, the kind you buy at grocery store meant for babies. Im also giving him homogenized milk and he seems to like it. He'll have regular milk cold but prefers his formula warmed up lol.

0
3 17

My son is 2 1/2 and will not take juice. He had kool-aid at daycare and i was furious! came home all hopped up on sugar. I put a stop to that immediately. Occasionally he's had orange, or the Gerber juices, but very minimal and mixed with water. He's catching on that there's water mixed in or rather juice mixed in his water. He is happy with the water and started cow milk at 18months to a little before 2 years old. I find giving him fruit with his sippy cup of water is just the same as juice minus all the sugar. His pediatrician and his dentist recommend that combo.

-1
9 0

Never! Juice is nothing but sugar water. Empty calories. Horrible on teeth. Little to no nutritional benefit.

-1
7 23

Totally agree. My daughter didn't get juice until she was 18 months and now she gets it very rarely. I do make my own fresh juice for them.