When can you start taking your baby out?

Newborn babies are fragile and tend to stay indoors in protected environments. When are they old enough to start being taken out in public?

0 17

I guess I am different. I took my kid camping at 3 weeks.

5
6 45

My baby is out in public from the day she is released from the hospital

3
32 6

We went to our parent baby group at 4 days. At 8 days we went to a outdoor public event (20,000 people). Lots of hand sanitizer :) Then flew at 6 weeks and the list goes on. Seems to me it is more ones comfort level.

2
16 24

Both of my children were taken out the first few days we had them home. I took them to see friends, to walmart..... i have a 3 yo that i can count on one hand how many times she has been sick. and my newborn who is 4 mos old hasnt been sick yet. so we will see with him.

2
12 14

I took my son out the day after We got out of the hospital to go to the doctors and to the grocery store. And didn't really do took the next couple weeks I didn't take him too many places because it took me a while to heal after I delivered him.. It was still summer when I had him so it wasn't to big of a deal.. If it would have been cold out I probly wouldn't have taken him anywhere unnecessary for a while

2
92 37

My daughter was born last August. When we got discharged we actually took her to see my hairdresser before we even made it home. Probably for the first 4 weeks we were out on the go. She was fine going out. She went on her first long car ride which was 1.5 hrs to my mom and dads at only a little over a week old. She has been an amazing traveller and a pleasure to take outdoors. I think because we took her out all the time and travelled with her as a newborn, she was used to it did Great! We even travelled to a friends that was about a 5-6 hr drive and she slept the whole way to the halfway mark and I nursed her and continued for another 3 hours and she slept the whole way again.
I dont think that there is a certain time frame when you can bring the baby out. Just depends how you are feeling and the mood baby is in.
I think if my daughter was born in the winter, I probably wouldnt have gone out as much. But it was the middle of summer.

1
7 13

I took all four of my kids out when they were a few days old. I either had them at home or at a birth ceneter so we were out and about pretty quickly.

1
0 16

At about five weeks old I started going for walks with my baby, but he was always covered by a mosquito net/ uv ray net. We went to walmart and church the day we were released from the hospital...so i guess it depends on where you have to go and if you have a person to watch baby. If you have to go out baby has to go too!)

1
1

I took my son out after two weeks.. To his first check up. The clinic is inside a mall, so there were a lot of people. I thinkit really depends onu, as the parent, when u want to take ur newborn out.

0
1,351 0

As soon as you feel up to it. Like the other posters, we were out and about right away. We walked 4km home from the hospital with our forth child and went to a movie that night with him. We took our third to a hockey game when he was five days old and to our oldest daughter's birthday party (which was at a public venue) the next day. Our younger daughter was two days old when we took her to Costco. That said, I do know people who waited weeks or months to take their babies out and insisted visitors wash their hands before they touching the baby.

0
448 0

I took my daughter out at 7 days...I regret it because there were so manny people out, she had almost no shots..and because it was June, I could not keep her hidden and bundled the whole time, which she drew a croud and I am not one for that kind of attention...I took her home soon after...

0
0 0

We stopped at a restaurant on the way home from the hospital with my son. At the time I had a 3 year old daughter, and still had a 'life to live' in spite of having a newborn. So life kept going on as usual and we were out running errands and such the day after I got home from the hospital.

For what it's worth, my son is healthy as can be....has only been 'sick' maybe 3 times in his life and will be 4 next month.

0
0 0

I followed the Drs orders, and waited 4 weeks with both of my boys, even though they were both summer babies.

0
10 2

I took him out when he was maybe 4 weeks old it was cold and didnt want him to get sick!! But I mean it's totally up to you!! Everyone is different!!

0
2 13

I had a kindergartner so I had to go pick her up. I tried my best to keep my baby in his carseat/stroller to avoid too much contact. Other then that I stayed home or got a sitter, I figured enough germs were coming home to us we didn't need to go out!

0
2 13

Breast feeding helps their immune systems too. My 3 older children got sick the first week my son was home and he stayed perfectly healthy!

1 0

We were in restaurants at 10 days old.

0
4 23

I chose to stay home that first month with both my babies. I took the time to fully recuperate & just really bond with them before "going back out into the world." Some people have scoffed at my decision, but looking back at it now that they are active, bubbling little balls of energy, I'm glad I did it. It was a month of just mommy-and-me time, something I can never have again and I wouldn't have changed it for the world!

0