When do I know I should change a crib to a toddler bed?

How can you tell if a child is ready to move from a crib to a toddler bed? What are some signs to look for?

0 41

I moved our son out of his crib when he turned 3. He never tried climbing out of the crib, so we had no reason to. I thought he was starting to get to old for the crib, but it was a perfect transition, he loved his new bed and would stay in it, so we did not have the constant going into his room and putting him back in his bed like we did with his younger brother who was 1 year.

5
0 19

I agree. My daughter is almost 2 1/2 and she doesn't climb so we sill have her in her crib. I see no reason to move her right now when she is comfortable and it is still working for us. Potty training might change things. We will find out.

4 40

when my daughters started climbing out of and into their cribs is when I put them into the toddler bed. Now my 2 year old is almost ready for a twin bed since she keeps taking her toddler bed apart and moving it all over the room.

5
29 3

I moved all of my kids from crib (or co-sleeping with me) to a twin bed with a rail on their 1st birthday. Out of 5 kids I've only ever had one fall out, once, and he was perfectly fine. I like the idea of doing the transition at that age because I've never had to deal with the problem of the child being so attached to the crib that they won't sleep in a different bed. I've never had any major sleep-time troubles with any of them, and they all happily sleep in their twin beds through the night. Good luck!

5
0 8

I moved my son out of the crib onto a mattress on the floor when he was 8 months old because he was already climbing out of the crib and I was expecting my second child, so I would be needing the crib anyway. She was the exact same... at 8 months she was a monkey and scaling the rails trying to escape the confines of the crib so again we moved her to the floor. I agree with the above comment that as soon as they start to climb, pull themselves out or try to flip themselves out, anywhere but the crib is good! :)

3
11 12

we moved our daughter to a twin bed with a rail at 19 months or so and she did great... she never got to the climbing out of the crib stage and she stays in her big bed just fine... I think it just depends on the child...

3
0 16

It is definitely time to switch to a toddler bed for a child that begins to climb. My third child is a climber so we moved her to a toddler bed just after her first birthday. It took about a week to adjust to the freedom of being able to get out of bed at her leisure. It is an easier transition to train the child to fall asleep on their own in a crib first. Also having a consistant bedtime routine in place prior to making the switch will also lead to a smoother transition.

2
0 24

when ur child starts climbinig out of his bed,that means he s ready :)

2
181 33

We moved my daughter to a toddler bed when we started potty training.

1
24 20

I moved my first son to his bed at the age of three or there bouts.

1
0 5

i moved my 15 month old to a twin bed, but it is nice cause it is close to the floor and he cant roll out, he is in a race car bed hi sides and i love it so much better cause he is a thrasher.. also easier to snuggle if he has night mares..

1
0 20

We just switched my 2 1/2 yr old sons crib into a toddler bed, but we left the
rail up. It seems to be working ok, until he decides to get out of bed
and walk thru the house at night... I am frank with him if he gets up and explain
to him how he needs to stay in his own bed, he seems to understand!

1
0 8

I moved my daughter a couple months before her second birthday. That worked out well. My son, however, is only 14 months and already climbing on everything! I'm afraid we won't last that long before he's climbing out of his crib!

1
0 20

well i think the right time is when they are about 1 in a half close to 2 years but that's just my opinion someone else might have a better answer for ya :)

1
1 13

I suppose every one is different, I put my now 4 year old daughter in toodler bed when she was 18 months, she was very advanced for her age, whoever my son now 20 months is still in cot, i dont feel his ready yet, I am hoping to start before his second birthday :)

11 33

With my 1st we moved her out of our bed into the crib at 14 months old. She hated it, so we converted it to a toddler bed. She LOVED it. Would not get out of bed unless we said it was ok (would lay there and play if she awoke early in the morning and we didnt answer her'calls. I was having our second child and needed her to be in her own bed and room. Second baby slept in the bassinet next to my bed (learned from the first one not to let her sleep with me). When she got too big for the bassinet I moved her into the crib and when she tried to climb out of the crib it was toddler bed time (helped that her big sister was also getting a new toddler bed. Now they are 3 and 4 and both in twin daybeds. :) Sometimes they sleep together in the one bed, but I try to discourage it because I end up moving them before I go to bed anyway LOL

0
3 0

I was just thinking today, "Ace needs his own bed." He sleeps with me OR he sleeps in the bed and I pass out on the couch.

0
8 11

My eldest son, who is almost 3 now, was put into the toddler bed at 18 months because we had a new baby coming 2 months later. I didn't want to have two babies in cribs and this showed my eldest that he was a big boy compared to the new baby. It was low enough to the ground that when he fell out in the middle of the night, which he did a couple of times, he just picked himself up and crawled back into bed. The upset only lasted a couple of minutes so I didn't even have to go in and put him back to bed. I love the big boy bed. My youngest will be 1 in another month so I think I will try this again at 18 months and see how he does

0
6 31

My son was 1 and was too heavy to pull out of his crib!! Thankfully his crib changed to a transitional bed!! He slept in that for a year but I wanted him to have a twin size bed so it would be sturdy enough for me to lay with him from time to time. When I went shopping for one I found a whole bedroom set (Full size) for a good price and just got him that! Now I wont have to worry about a bed for a while because it can switch to queen size!!

0
24 63

My daughter's crib has a "toddler rail" that I put on at about 18 months. It helped her get used to having a little freedom but still had full crib on 3 sides, which I liked since she moves around a lot. She moved into a regular toddler bed (low to the ground) a few months before her 3rd birthday. A year later she is so tall and lanky that she's growing out of it. I'll be getting her a twin bed for her 4th birthday. Hello Kitty bedding has already been picked out! =)

0
0 106

We had a convertable crib, so when my daughter started climbing in and out of her crib we just took one of the side away and change it into a daybed. When she was about 15 months she started taking her bed apart and moving it all around her room, that's when we decided to put her in a toddler bed. But we probably could have done that at 10 months old instead of the daybed but we wanted the transition to be easier for her.

0
0 15

I moved my son to a toddler bed when he was 2 yrs old and when he was climbingout of his crib.

0
0 27

My first oldest daughter was moved between 12 and 15 months with no problems. My middle daughter has had her toddler bed since 15 months and will not sleep alone in her room as she is afraid of the dark and she I jeaulous that my 10 month old babygirl ges to sleep with mom so she sleeps with me ormy oldest daughter until she is slee and is carted off to hr own bed after :-)

0
53 7

well if you're potty training you have to let them out of the bed at night., so that was my motivation at about 26 months.

0
1 16

we moved him to a toddler bed the first time he climbed out of his crib - I was too nervous that he might fall - and that was before he turned 2 ...

0
4 8

I switched all of my kids from cribs to a twin bed with a railing at 2 years old. No one ever fell out of bed or climbed out of cribs and loved the switch to the "big kid bed".