When do I start giving my child a pillow?

Sleep is one the most important aspects in a child's life. We want our children to sleep soundly and safely. So when is it okay to let your child sleep with a pillow?

23 21

My youngest (15 mths now) had one around 8-9 months old as he had a bad cold and needed proping up to breathe...it kinda staying in the cot. All my others were around one which is or was recommended not to used before first birthday. Once they get moving around a pillow is no different to a bunched up blanket on there head..all my 6 kids have survived so I can't see a problem from 1 yr old upwards.

6
27 8

I totally agree, we did the same thing with our daughter when she was 8 months, bc she needed to be propped due to flu like symptoms.

4 16

I feel like the odd mom out. My son is 18 months and he doesnt use a pillow. no one ever said anything to me about when it was safe to give him one, or if it was even recommended or not. He takes a 2 to 3 hour nap every morning and sleeps at least 11 hours every night. it must not be necessary for his comfort since he sleeps so well without one.

5
16 5

Some kids don't need them.. I think it just depends on the kid.. Lol

2 9

My son is 13months old. He has had a little pillow for just over a month now. He loves it. When he sees his pillow he runs up to it and flops down on it and cuddles it.

3
23 21

My little boy pulls the cushions of the sofa and loves crawling up and flopping onto them too...he sometimes justs falls asleep on the floor with them...sooo cute. X

7 20

We just ask our doctor about this..Our son will be 2 in Sept..The doctor said no pillow till 3 or 4 years old and even then it has to be very flat. They can become trapped under it or wedged against it unable to breathe. So we are not taking any chances when he moves to a big boy bed he can have a pillow.

2
12 0

I just started giving my son a pillow at age 2, mostly because he started getting interested in mine and my husband's pillows so we gave it a try and he seems to like it. But I don't get everyone out there worried about suffocation. I thought that was more of a concern when they are so little they can't move themselves out of a position where they could suffocate on a pillow or blanket? I guess if your kid is a really really deep sleeper you are worried about this? Not trying to down play, I just don't get it. If either of my kids (2 yrs, and 7 mos) get tangled in blankets, they scream their freakin' heads off or you just hear them moving around to get more comfortable. Once they can crawl and roll and move, why are we worried about suffocation so much? I would actually be really interested in any responses.

1
217 34

Everyone says they can be dangerous SIDS etc however i have recently caved and my 21m/o is now sleeping with a 'flatish' adult sized pillow in his cot. We practiced sleeping on them in the living room and in mummy and daddy's bed when he has his bedtime story. We also played wrestling games where we pillow fight (gently) and let a pillow land on him and he plays peek-a-boo and knows to move it to the side to breathe. I know feel confident leeting him sleep with one. It helps with his cold as well:) If he started to play with it or move it around alot I might remove it from his cot/crib however he leaves it in one spot on the end and knows it is for sleeping.

1
8 29

there is no certain time to give you child a pillow. i gave my son a pillow at 6 mos but i figured that he slept on my breast all the time. so i wrapped a pillow in one of my shirts for him to go to sleep with out me being there.

1
1 20

My son is 24 months old and I still won't let him have a pillow or a blanket. He pulls the blanket over his whole head and falls asleep. If I know I'm not going to be able to check on him in 5 minutes-he doesn't get the blanket. I dress him in long jammy pants to keep him from getting cold. When I rock him he kicks the covers off. I am afraid to put a pillow in there as well-he sleeps on his tummy most of the time and I only have one "him" so it's DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT TO ME!!!!

1
23 8

My son is 14 months today and i still dont give him a pillow, not sure when i will. I would rather be safe then sorry

1
15 15

Well my son has been sleeping with a pillow since he was about 4 or 5 mths
Because he snores and he has bronchialitis; so his breathing kind of
requires him to be lifted by a pillow!!!

1
49 4

I started giving my son a pillow at about 10 months. Give or take. My boyfriend's parents bought him a pillow pet and he loves it to death... flops on it and cuddles it.. and chews on it lol. But now he wont sleep without it. Of course... he was also a tummy sleeper. He wouldn't sleep on his back, even swaddled, and only sometimes on his side.. but his "go to" sleep position was on his tummy (usually while sprawled on top of me after a feeding session lol). As soon as he could roll himself over at about 4 months, I would always find him sleeping on his tummy. -shrugs- I think we started our daughter on pillows at about the same age. Maybe a year, but somewhere therabouts. Although some say to not give a pillow at all until much later and even some adults can actually benefit without using a pillow.. I forgot where I read that, but I think whoever decided that has to be crazy lol.

1
3 1

my son started bundling up a blanket for a pillow around 1yr. i was afraid to give him one but he improvised on his own!

1
37 4

I gave my daughter a pillow once we moved her into a toddler bed. That was at about 14 or 15 months and she loves it. She has never had a problem with it at all and she sleeps great.

1
1

My daughter has had a pillow pet since she was about 16 months old she loves it and if it gets in her way at night in her crib she throws it out!! But otherwise she loves and it has to be in her bed she is now 2 and never had a problem with stuffed animals or blankets that she now collects in her crib/ toddler bed. It's your own opinion but doctors have people so freaked out about SIDS that we get scared of everything, but if you think of it this way your alive, your mother lived and your grandmother and back then they told you to put the baby's on there stomach was the right way to put a baby to sleep so think about!!!

0
1 17

My daughter is 4 and doesnt sleep on a pillow and kicks off her blankets. Maybe because she spent her first week in an incubator?

0
7 25

My daughter was about one if not younger, she never settled in her cot but loved our bed. I gave her one for a Cold originally

0
25 0

Its nice to think that "yes" I would love to see him/her be comforable and have a nice soft pillow. To be honest I didn't give my child a pillow until 2yrs old. I was always afraid of them burying theiir faces' in the pillow. They never asked so I didn't feel the need to just put one in the crib. Even at 2, I was somewhat leary but I found they didn't use it. I think all 3 were about 3yrs. old before they actually slept on the pillow. and not all the time. They each had more fun tossing it out of their beds.
I would always find it on the floor in the morning and they were all in a toddlers' bed at this time.
My attitude towards the pillow is definetly not before 18mos. Some would agree/disagree. This is something you have to try and see how your child takes to it. As well if you find that their blankets are in disarray upon waking, then they really dont' need a pillow. When they start keeping covered up then its time for a pillow. Hope this helps you out and I haven't confused you!!

0
9 0

pillows aren't really necessary. i'd say, when he asks for one. other than that, he'll be fine.

0
8 36

My daughter has been sleeping with a pillow since she was probably about 6 months old. She is now 8 years old. My niece is the same way, she is 14 months old and has been sleeping with a pillow since she was about 6 months. It is all up to the parent.

0
22 38

My daughters both had pillows from age 12 months but they both moved into big girls beds aged 18 months so they had 1 pillow and a duvet they love there sleep and they sleep all night .

0
13 0

i started at about 2 years old, if my child needed propping up(for cold/flu) i would raise the matterus up putting a pillow under neath,the matterus,not the child, i read this is safer than giving a pillow at a young age.

0
6 0

I started my son out with a pillow as soon as we put him in his toddler bed (around 13 months). He kept stealing the pillows off of the couch and cuddling up with them on the floor as soon as he could walk! We decided that we didn't want to put one in his crib in case he got wedged between it and the sides, so we waited until he was ready for the big boy bed. Until then, he improvised by bunching his blanket up underneath his head. Ironically, he still does that in the toddler bed! I rarely find him still laying on his pillow. Usually it is pushed up against the wall or laying on the floor. I think it all depends on the signs your child is giving you. If you feel that he/she is ready, then give it a whirl. Just be sure to check on them a few times throughout the night when you first start them on it. But if your child is giving you some hints that they want a pillow, then why not? You're the parent and only you can decide what is best for your baby.

0
2 21

I started both my girls about 1 1/2 yrs old or so. When they can use their hands and know better how to move things around well for themselves.

0
0 20

I gave my twins a "flat" pillow at the age of 2 yrs old. They love their pillows, I change them about every 6 to 8 months, so I do have to check all the pillows at the store to make sure they will flatten well. They are now 4 yrs old and I have not had any problems.

0
20 39

I found out when I had first borns, I put a pillow or small blanket under the mattress on one end to provide an incline to help encourage gas with gravity to help them burp better. When They were three or four months, they were ready for the incline to be removed. When the baby reached nine months to one and a half, we gave them pillows. They had the option but didn't always use them with squirming. Around 6-7 years is when they start noticing likes and dislikes in pillows and mattresses. 9yr olds (at least mine is) whines about the mattress.

0
20 1

My son is almost 2 y.o. And he has a toy-pillow in his bed, but he doesn't care for it at all! He'd lay on the pillow for a little bit, but crawls off it if he intends to sleep....he just don't need any pillows yet)

0
279 80

My son is 19 months & he has had a pillow since 15 months! When I bought a Big Boy bed for him is when i put one with him :)

0
72 25

My little girl litterally stole my pillow at 14 months. She took it from my bed, dragged it to the sofa, put it on the sofa, climbed up, laid down with her head on the pillow and just fell asleep. Talk about a dumbfounded Mom. My pillow is very thin and since she liked it so much, I just put on her princess cover on it and she has been sleeping on it since. I just got myself a new pillow. LOL!!!

0
2 9

My daughter didn't start asking for a pillow until about 20 months, but even then it was just a novelty that she ended up shoving away after falling asleep on it. We don't officially have a "toddler pillow", either. She likes the U-shaped pillow that came with her infant playgym (the pillow that is usually included to promote tummy time). So that's what we've been using.

She goes to daycare 3x/week, and I didn't supply them with a pillow for her, just a nap mat and blanket. She still sleeps just fine without one. At this point, I don't think it matters, for my daughter, it seems like a personal preference while at home.

0
16 5

My son was 2 mths premie and he started having respiratory problems at 3 mths.. With his breathing problems, we had to give him a pillow to stay elevated at 3 mths... He has had one ever since.. He will be 3 yrs old on August 1st

0
22 52

I no they say not to but my son had a pillow from 3 month due to being premie they constantly had that bean pillow in the special care nearsery so when we got home at 8 weeks he would not sleep unless it was on us and he was always a baby that loved sittin up so insead of holding him we were told to put a pillow behind him when we started that he was would fall asleep every time the first time I put a pillow in his bed he slept through the night ( I didn't though) but he has had no issues at all

0
4 25

My daughter is 22 months old and she now sleeps with a light pillow. I started giving her the pillow about a month ago when I noticed she liked sleeping on mine when laying with me. Now she wont go to sleep unless she has it in her bed with her. I still worry though about her putting her head underneath and not being able to get out from under it so I check on her a few times during the night. I would say that around 18 months is a good time to introduce a pillow and a few months later allow them to sleep through the night with one.

0
19 11

My daughter is now 23 months but received a large stuffed Pooh for Christmas last year. She cuddled it as soon as she got it and insisted on sleeping with it. She lays her head on his tummy like he is her pillow. Before that she cuddled with a little Elmo. I was a little worried at first with Pooh, but most times when I check on her she is at one end of the bed and Pooh is at the other. Lately she has gotten interested in blankets. Even asked for one when she took a nap the other day. She is starting to cuddle under them. But when I gave her one she was out of it in about one minute after going to sleep the blanket was kicked off at her feet.

0
3 12

my older 2 got pillows around turning 1 year old but my youngest got one about 6 months due to bad cold so needed propping up! so she couldn't wriggle under it i put it under her bottom sheet and ensured it was ticked in well, now when she sleeps she has her head the foot end on blankets anyway so i'm not sure why i worried!!

0
1 1

My little guy is almost 2 and only sleeps with a pillow if he sleeps with us. Maybe it's time to get him one for his crib!

0
4 41

My daughter has had a pillow since 12 months....i believe i read or her doctor said it would be fine after 12 months

0
58 71

My daughter had one saince about 12 months.she was bawling up her blanket to use as a pillow so we gave her one. She also will sleep with a cover over her head but I guess its because I have since I was. Baby too so it does not worry me and her ped said many kids do. As long as the b is breathal3 fabric

0
3 13

I red that it's no good to use pillow before the first birthday. My child got one for her birthday as a present and she was very happy when she used to see the little duck on it. She used to play with it and then hug it and fall asleep. It also happened that she just putted the pillow aside and did not want to sleep on it. So, I guess the child knows the best is it or is it not OK to use pillow. Anyway, do not bother with that, it is totally all right for the child to sleep without pillow as long as the child wants. That is definitely not the most important question for the child's development.
In terms of medical need it is off course useful to follow the doctors advice as someone mentioned. LY :-))

0
4 5

my wee girl is 2 and she sleeps with a pillow no problem

0
1 15

my kids got pillows btw 12-18 months not sure if there is a "right" age though

0