When do I tell my kids the truth about the Easter Bunny, Santa, etc.?

When children are young, telling them stories about the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus is fun and helps build their imagination. At some point they'll find out the truth - when is it the right time to tell them?

1 0

You never tell them the truth. My parents still maintain that they are real. Kids figure it out on their own. It's not something you have to sit down and reveal to them.

22
1 11

Perfect Answer! I agree!

18 29

We have always believed in the "MAGIC" of santa, tooth fairy, etc. We have NEVER sd we believe in Santa specifically. Then, when THEY are ready and ask, we are honest. It went something like this with our oldest. . . . "Mom, is Santa really real, do you believe in him?" "Gracyn, I certainly believe in the MAGIC and the FUN that Santa brings." Then, when she was really persistent, "But do you really believe in HIM, is HE REAL?" That's when I said, "What do you think?" And that is when she said she didn't think he was real. . . then she immediately asked if she could still believe in the magic and I said certainly, it's fun!!!! (And just take this at face value, I am not saying that I believe in magic nor am I saying that Santa is magic. . . I'm talking about the feeling, the hope, the excitement when I use the word magic.) And she was not devestated b/c we never TOOK Santa from her, she realized that it was always about the fun of it and realized that could never be taken. And now she gets to help fill the stockings for all of us, including mom/dad and little sister, which is the next level of fun for a child. And side note, we NEVER push the fun of these characters OVER the true meaning of the holidays, they are always a side note. :)

14
5 13

I like :)

21 2

never! I am 40 and still believe....

13
6 0

Same here. I am 37 and I still believe. And Santa still visits me and my husband as well as all of my children. Even my 16 year old.

1 77

We don't "do" Santa and the Easter bunny and such...our son is 4 and is perfectly happy celebrating the real meaning of each holiday. I don't judge parents that let their kids believe in those things, but I just find it completely optional and we chose the less popular option!

10
3 13

Same here!! *hugs*

8 22

They will find out in there own time…. I had my little sister convinced in santa through stories until she was 12, she says it was the most magical time in her life.
And that is what childhood should be about, imagination and magical times. Let them keep it for as long as possible. After all this is what folktales and fairytales are about…. magic with life codes and morals thrown in!

10
12 0

Children need something to believe in.

3 0

My oldest figured it out when he was about 9....he asked me if Santa was real and I asked him "Do you believe Santa is real"? He said No. Then I told him, well, then Santa isn't real. I briefly talked to him about different traditions and the story of Santa...I also told him that it would be in his best interest to NOT tell his little sister either! As long as she still believed in Santa - He would continue to get presents from Santa. So it was an incentive to keep his mouth shut. He is now 12...she just turned 9 and she is now in question. I will tell her the truth too, when she no longer believes. They will still continue to get Santa gifts until their 4 year old brother doesn't believe anymore OR if they mess up and blab the truth!!!

7
4 14

Haha! we handles our oldest the same way! we told him if he told the others he would no longer get gifts from Santa either! I think he has been a huge help in keeping the belief alive longer with the other kids. They look up to him and if he says its true, boy do they believe it!

2 19

I never believed in Santa and my husband and I didn't do that with our children either. We enjoy celebrating the holidays with their true meaning. They know that children believe in these imaginary people and respect their feelings. I don't judge or have a negative opinion for those that teach that Santa and other imaginary people are real, but I have been immensely rewarded by my children's knowledge of the meanings of holidays. I have seen them grow and mature with giving hearts and minds. Mom and dad give presents because Christ has blessed us all year and it's a time for us to give back to others, especially those in need. I don't see them fully understanding this if we said that Santa was the one giving the gifts.

5
5 15

Amen Sister!

6 0

I am not catholic, but I am a christian and love St. Nicholas. I read to my children true stories of St. Nicholas and how he gave presents to children and others as well. When they figure out on their own that Santa is not really bringing gifts, I tell them that St. Nicholas was a real man, and that it was his idea to bring gifts, he wished that he could bring them to everyone and we are just helping him out by bringing them for him.

4
2 0

belive

1 1

I never try to convince my daughter that these figures are real. She's four and she has always known they are just stories. And she doesnt have any problem with that. In fact, she finds it odd that other kids actually think they are real. I dont see the need to convince them something imaginary is real. My parents never encouraged this either and I dont think it put any damper on my childhood. I loved all the holidays without hype.

4
0 0

Never! Let the magic last as long as it can. Sometimes, I have a hard time not believing in Santa, etc.

3
12 25

If you believe in the tradition, it will never die!!! Let them question us and then we can share Santa memories

3
1 0

Never! Eventually the children will figure it out, but until then let them be kids and believe!!!!!!!

2
7 20

Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny are real. They are us when we sneak around to gather teeth and leave toys or money. They are us when we choose to make baskets and hide them, or have that one special present come from Santa. Kids figure it out by themselves and one should not remove magic from childhood. My mother to this day talks about the Easter Bunny like he is real and I am 58 and amy daughter is 25 - she makes makes him sound so real. Every year we just miss Easter Bunny. It seems like if we just got there 5 minutes earlier we would have seen him. My daughter and I were just talking about this over the Winter break. I am going to make sure I engender the same kind of magic for my grandkids that my mom has done for us. So are they real - as long as you play the part - they are real. Santa is based on St Nickolas a real human who existed centuries ago , and the Easter Bunny on old stories, I am not sure where the tooth fairy comes from. But they live on in us.

2
0 0

My daughter gets presents from us and a few presents from Santa. That way we are able to keep the Santa magic alive but also instill a sense of what Christmas is really about. We always do a charity gift aimed at someone about her age and we tell her this is off us because some children arn't as lucky as her, and don't get presents off their parents and Santa. I have never found it difficult to discuss the real meaning of the season and combine it with the Santa tradition. I don't see this as a 'lie', it won't hurt her to believe, she loves Santa! I remember being disappointed that Santa wasn't real when I found out but I didn't feel let down by my parents or lied to, I just felt a bit sad that such a lovely, magical idea wasn't true! I will keep the myth alive for as long as possible because she so obviously enjoys the excitement and the magic associated with the tradition.

2
0 14

It is something we never talk about. When asked we just tell them these holiday people are real. I am 40 and my dad still gives me presents from Santa and I still give stocking gifts from Santa. Kids figure it out and keep the magic alive even after they know. We just give each other a wink and have fun with the tradition.

2
4 20

We don't lie to them and tell them that these things are real to begin with...

2
4 20

To each their own when it comes to this stuff. I wont tell my nieces and nephews that Santa is not real and my children know not to spoil it for others...

122 2

I feel as long as you teach the true meanings of the holidays also, there is no problem. I truly still believe in santa because I know my mom is Santa :) & yes I still get presents signed from santa lol even before my son was born, me & my mom have always done this so there is no lying being done with my son. When I tell him I still believe it is true because me, my husband, & parents are santa so there will be no disappointment because my son will still get presents from santa @ the age of 35 lol

2
0 0

NO SANTA RULES

2 15

Tend to agree with the majority here. Let them figure it out and they will soon enough. Having five of various ages, and coming from a large family, my kids found out from older siblings or older cousins. Not much can be done. I still sign "Santa" on Christmans presents. My older kids just laugh, and I have a feeling they will do the same thing some day. The presents don't go under the tree until Santa comes, and I only have one in the "magical" age. So, enjoy it while you can, because it goes way tooooo fast!

2
15 19

im a twenty five year old believer in all mythical persons. I still recieve presents from Sant and the Easter Bunny. I know the truth but it is good for the person to believe in the unseen. it helps build faith and imagination. it also helps to give a sense of belonging and it can be as a bonding expierince for both child and parent

2
3 13

When they ask. My kids trust my words. Wouldn't lie to them. They learned about that stuff from others. But when they asked, I told them. I personally never believed in them. It made things extra special to us because love was the focus.

2
3 0

You do not ever half to tell them. Their friends will tell them when they learn the truth about Santa and the Tooth Fairy. They usually catch their parents playing the Tooth Fairy, and eventually they figure out Santa is not real. When you go to the Mall to see Santa, how many Santa's do you think your kids see?

1
4 10

One day, when he asks me whether it's really truth and I will know by the tone of his voice he means it 'seriously mum' I will admit there isn't Santa nor Easter bunny.But I hope it's good few years to go.He is 7 and we have younger nearly 5 years old.I don't want to loose that stage in my life when my kids believed in magic EVER.

1
76 11

I agree with Sabrina. My granddaughter ask me last year why does this kid in her class keep saying theres no Santa and the parents buy the gifts. I told her maybe he/she doent have a happy home or maybe he he/she hasnt been good all year and didnt get alot of gifts. She asked me if I believe and I said yes i believe in the magic of Christmas.They grow up so fast why take it away from them!?

1
219 5

Let them figure it out on their own...:)

1
0 0

Just like i did im a kid and i just looked it up :D

1 0

We have shared the stories of Santa with our children (just like we read stories about Franklin and Thomas the Tank Engine), but haven't asked them to believe in something that isn't real. It seems hypocritical to ask them to always be truthful and to value honesty and then go to huge lengths to ensure that they believe in these figures that don't actually exist. We ask our children to respect that other children do believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny and not to "spoil" it for them. There will be no big disappointment for them and they won't feel like we've lied to them all of these years, just for a bit of fun. And yes, Christmas and Easter is just as fun for them without these myths - we share presents and do an Easter egg hunt (as well as sharing the real meaning of these holidays), but our kids get to thank the people that actually gave the gifts, instead of thinking Santa dropped them down the chimney!

1
0 0

i have a 7 year old and a 4 year old, both of them know the true meaning of Christmas and why we really celebrate it as well, i also agree, we have taught them to always tell the truth so we have always been truthful with them!!!!

0 0

I am scared to tell my child about santa

0
12 0

I always did the Santa thing until my oldest was in 6th grade. She was held back in second grade so she was about 12. I told her that I am actually Santa. Didn't want her to be going to middle school saying Santa came. It was time to get honest with her. My younger daughter had it figured out, They are 18 months apart.

0
1

go fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yourself!

0
0 0

O_O

0 13

is the pparent easter bunnys i need to know becase im becoming a parent please help me are they real i need a lot of help i can get if i dont then how will i know if there real so are i don t think is but i dont know if its true im onley nine teen please helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp you can helpppppppppp asap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help

0
206 7

Let them decide - they will work it out when they are ready. My son announced at around 7 years old that he knew I bought all the presents at Christmas and that Santa was just made up (we never did the 'Easter bunny' thing anyway) and he believed the same of the Nativity, etc. All fine with me as I'm an atheist myself but I'd taught him all the stories and left it up to him.

I think that maybe if the family was bigger he might have held onto the myths a bit longer, but as there is just me and him, it didn't take much to work it out. He also knew that the dog would have barked if someone came in which didn't help the Santa thing! LOL!

0
58 6

I try to teach my kids the real story behind the holiday and traditions that came about I also teach them holidays around the world and do activities to educate them on other religions it is fascinating exciting and teaches tolerance

0
11 0

You believe in Jesus, but not Santa?

Interesting..

0
2 29

what would Jesus do?Umm...tell the truth from the beginning

0
26 11

Common sense should tell most people that these are just stories to entertain children and get them to use their imagination. Its part of the wonderment of being a kid. however some would call this blatent lying and for really no purpose other than to trick, brainwash, and manipulate young minds. I for one am sketchy about raising my kids under the myth of santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, and dare i say jesus?

0
5 13

well it sets a good example of truth telling if you tell them from the beginning. It doesn't take away the thrill of christmas and santa. I told my kids right from when they were little...and they still got just as excited about christmas and santa...just like all the other kids, only difference was that they never had that gutted feeling that some kids get when they find out for themselves that he's not real...

0
0 17

I don't think you should at all. I believe as long as they believe in there hearts they will always exist! They will figure it out on there own. Why ruin there childhood. There friends will tell them soon enough. Let them be kids and have that magic for as long as possable. That's what worked for me and for my kids.

0
16 41

When my daughter's father left us (she was 17 months), I promised her two things -- (1) I would never leave her, and (2) I would never lie to her. When she was 4, she caught me off-guard while driving in the car with the "Mommy, is the Tooth Fairy real?" question (she lost her first tooth in a turkey sandwich a couple weeks before this convo)... I said nothing; trying to figure out how to extend her belief without lying... I couldn't do it. Before I answered, however, she said, "Mommy...? Remember, you said you'd never lie to me..." Dang! So, I didn't. "No, honey; I'm the "Tooth Fairy"." She goes, "Santa Claus, too?" "Yes, baby; Santa Claus, too." She bowed her head, the lifted it partway, looked at me all sad through the rear-view mirror, and said, "Easter Bunny?" "That's me, too, sweetheart." She scrunched up her little face and goes, "YOU PROMISED YOU'D NEVER LIE TO ME!!" Goodness, she was mad at me for a whole day! ;)

0
8 1

you never let out your secret about Santa,Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy and any other characters who are not real, as you will hurt their feelings terribly, and they will never trust you again. Although when my children reached the age of 11+ then i let them know the truth. they understand why we had to keep it a secret, because they knew they would not get the treats that was due for them when the time came...lol....just have to bear and grin with it.... but it is up to you when you want to let your children know the truth...

0
9 4

I'd say that if they're doubting it, they're old enough to know the truth. For example, if they start to realize how unlikely it is that Santa could deliver presents to everyone in the world in one night, they're smart enough to accept the fact that he's not real. But if they're really young, and they come home from school saying, "Jimmy said Santa's not real!" That's a little tougher. I think Brandi had it right when she asked, "What do you think?" and then explained it as a tradition to her older son.

Basically, if they're old enough to doubt it, they're old enough to know the truth.

0
4 14

They will let you know when it is time and you won't have to tell them, they will tell you. My oldest son was about 9 when he started to question the whole process. The next Christmas we didn't have to tell him, he told us he knew. We made sure we told him not to spoil it for his siblings and as long as the other kids still believed he still got "Santa" gifts too. Now, years later, he is 13 and gets to be a part of being Santa with my husband and I and loves it! He now understands that Santa does exists in the spirit of the tradition! You just have to play along and they will let you know when they have it all figured out. My husband and I kept it in until the day he came to us with his huge I've got your number smile and we knew the gig was up. I think if you keep them guessing until they are mature enough to add it up themselves it is way less heartbreaking than them finding out before they are ready!

0