When do you move your child up to the bigger car seat?

Car seat safety is a top priority for parents. How do you know when it's time to move your child to a bigger car seat?

23 64

20 pounds or 1 year old...not sure if that is a state thing or not. With my second son though, we switched him from infant to toddler seat at 8 or 9 months because he is SO tall!!!! His legs were hanging out of that infant seat. He is still rear facing until one though. If the child is under one, just make sure you get one that is both rare and forward facing.

4
1 2

Can anyone tell me where i can find those new guidelines?

3
1 8

you can check with is DMV, police department, or fire department or google it, maybe being specific about your state, child's age & weight, or call a baby store that sells the seats

10 1

Survival rates go up dramatically when passengers are rear facing. You are supposed to keep your child rear facing for as long as possible. There are new standards out about 3 months ago. Don't turn your child around unless he/she (and your car seat) fits the new standards. We invested in a newer rear facing seat that holds heavier children, got the DMV to put it in, and bought a small DVD player on Amazon for $60. My kid will stay rear facing until 34lbs and she doesn't know the difference because she's never been forward facing.

2
448 0

I moved my daughter from an infant seat to a toddler seat when she was about 12mths old. Her little feet were hanging off and touching the back of the seat with bent knees.

0
0 0

my son is 15 pounds and is to heavy for his infant seat and he is also 4months old

0
2 7

We have always known is from 8 years of age, if the guidline have changed may we know where to get it.

0
0 0

My child is 18lbs and 28 inches at 5 months. I have just started using our convertible car seat in place of the Graco travel car seat he's been in since birth. We could have used the convertible one from the beginning, but he was only 5lbs 14 oz at birth and it appeared to be too big to restrain him well enough for a first time mom (me).

Here's a link I found that lists all the states laws regarding child restraints (http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx). Above and beyond that, I suggest that you use your own good judgement on when to go to the next step. We switched not only for comfort on his behalf now that we are doing longer car rides, but also because it does allow him to be rear facing up to 34 inches.

0
16 80

Check the owner's Manuel on your infant seat because they each have their own height and weight limit. My son's was 20lbs and 24ins, which he hit by 4 months (both eight and weight). My daughter's was the same and she hit the height by 3 months.

0
12 14

I switched my son over from an infant car seat to a a convertible infant/toddler seat when he reached 20 pounds which was about 9 months. My carseat is rated for rear facing 8 to 35lbs and forward facing 20 to 45 so beings that I had a 2 door car we put him forward facing. I don't understand how to have children rear facing for 2 years where are their feet supposed to go my sons not even a year old yet and his legs would be crammed if he was rear facing

0
10 1

Having a 2 door car would make it very difficult! If you've already turned him, then he'd be very angry about being turned back around, so in your situation it is probably best to keep him the way you have him. About the legs being crammed up: yes they are. But my kid doesn't know any different, so she doesn't complain about it. The new standard says as long as possible... so, keep them backward as long as you can, then eventually, they turn.

1 8

It may depend on your state, not sure if you are talking about infant to toddler or toddler to booster, but there are guidelines that should be available when you shop for the seats, stating the age and weight for them. I understand they want kids in a rear facing infant seat unti lat least 1 year old and also 20 pounds (actually wnt them in ther up to age 2, but I dont see how that is possible!), then the toddler forward facing seat until pre-school time, but I do not know about age & weight restrictions about moving up to a booster seat. Oh, another place you can check with is DMV, police department, or fire department, depending on how rural your area is

0
0 29

My daughter was rear facing in her seat until 29 months old. It is proven safer. Do the research. The law is 1 year AND 20lbs. Not or. Too many parents turn their children around too early for "conveince" and it could be potentially fatal. There are no documented cases of a Childs legs being injured due to trama from rear facing. "broken leg = cast it. Broken neck = casket". I hate to sound morbid but it's the truth. A Childs vertebra aren't fully fused until the age of 3. Therefore an accident with a forward facing child the chance of internal decapitation is great. There are websites to check out. Just google "extended rear facing benefits". You won't be sorry. I also extend harnessing. State law in PA is 4 yrs AND 40lbs. However I don't know too many 4 yr olds that are mature to sit In a booster properly EVERY time. My 4 year old is only 36 lbs and very mature for her age but I still wouldn't trust her to sit properly. It's scary to know how many parents just aren't educated on the basics of car seat safety.