When do you stop sanitizing baby bottles?

Sanitizing baby bottles reduces the amount of germs your baby is exposed to but also takes time out of your day that you could be spending elsewhere. When should you stop sanitizing bottles?

3 34

I think it depends where you live to some degree - in tropical climates for example it is far easier for bacteria to propagate, so it makes more sense to sterilise bottles for longer and boil water for making up formula. If you can guarantee your bottles are being washed in clean water and the drinking water is also free from nasties, then perhaps stop sterilising/boiling earlier.
I personally stopped after I realised the absurdity of sterilising bottles for a kid that was shoving chipbark from the bottom of the slide at the local park into his mouth!

5
12 17

I NEVER sanitized bottles. Not even when my children were nrwborns. I have 3 kiddos so far and all three were breastfed for an "extended" time... until you can sanitize the entire planet (for the rest of their lives) it is a waste of time to do so when they are babies. The immune system has to learn at some point what germs are.

5
9 8

I think it depends on your baby I stopped sterilizing things for my Gabriel when he was just a little over four months old because of the amount of stuff he put in his mouth anyway, so I just didn't see the point anymore, but thats just me. He's never had a problem with his bottles not being sterilized.

2
30 3

I stopped when I stopped using them, and I continue to sanitize the dishes that we all use to a certain degree. But to me washing the dishes is also sanitizing them, I mean why do we wash them any way? Because the food on them help create bacteria so we wash them so that they are usable again.

2
36 0

I only did it when the bottles were brand new . I have boiling hot tap water . I do the bottles separate from any other dishes just so food does not get in them . Never seen the point in boiling the piss out of them , I find they tend to get more lime scale and stuff on them when boiling . My baby never got thrush and was rarely sick . I have friends that boiled to the bitter end , but was not worried about soothers getting dirty.... go figure .

12 5

i sterelised probably till my daughter was 10 months, i kept doing it only cause i had an electric stereliser so it was not a hard time consuming job, i spent money on it so why not get the use out of it lol. I read in one of my baby books you dont have to stereliser once their 6 months but hey everyone does things different =)

2
42 117

I was told by numerous midwives after having my son, and again after having my daughter that you don't actually need to sanitize/sterilize bottles because as soon as you take them out of the sanitizer/sterilizer they are no longer sterile/sanitized.
I was advised to wash them in warm-hot soapy water, let them drain, then rinse them and fill with boiling water and put them straight into the fridge.

When my son was 3 months old I stopped filling them with boiling water and putting them in the fridge and I didn't even bother with my daughter, neither of them get ill very often and they seem to be able resist many virus's as well and don't get as sick as my husband and I do.

2
916 0

It's obsurd that midwives would say this to you. The reason a steralizer is used for new babies is to remove any harmful bacteria and large growth bacteria not the everyday germ. Bottles stay sanitized for up to 1 hour after the cycle has finished, when left in the steralizer. If they are taken out before 1 hour and filled with boiling water immediately, putting the teet and lid on, the inside of the bottle stays sanatized until use.Add a comment

1,510 49

I boiled them (glass bottles) every so often (like when I forgot where I left it and mold started to form) other than that I completely stopped doing that when she was 3 months old. I like germs, they are good for you, though some aren't, you cant be in a protective bubble forever.

1
236 33

you misplaced a bottle for so long that mold grew? How disgusting is your house?

5 12

I never sterilized, I just used hot soapy water.

1
0 0

As long as you are bottlefeeding, you should be santizing the bottles. No shortcuts. You will have a healthier baby.

1
2 25

i have sterilize my sons bottles since birth and will continue to as it only takes 6 mins in the microwave its not a long time to ensure his bottles are as clean as they can be for him x

1
41 63

I never sanitized. I would make sure things were washed and dried properly; but do you sanitize food? I never needed to santize the water for formula either. My water is really great out of the tap. OF COURSE IF YOU LIVE IN AN AREA THAT NEEDS IT THEN BOIL THE WATER. But if you can use it out of the tap then go for it. They put floride in it for our teeth. A lot of bottled water is just tap water that they used reverse osmosis on, whatever that does. It's realy just a way to make money. My advise is if you have any questions about your child's health call their doctor. You'd be surprised at some of the information they have for you. It can really ease your mind

1
3 19

I only sanitized my bottles once. We actually just put our bottles in the dishwasher.

1
24 30

I only did it once - to clean them after two years of storage in the garage. We've never sanitized them since (though my suspicion is the dishwasher gets hot enough to do it).

1
41 63

you're suspicions are right.

12 13

I sanitised bottles for 4 months.
I didn't do it scrupulously after the 2 month though.
I think it's a good idea TO DO IT FOR the first week at least because babies have almost no immunities as a newborn and if you are JUST giving your baby formula then its not getting your immunities either, so at LEAST the first week! :)

1
236 33

Maybe I'm a bad mom, but I don't "sanitize" my son's bottles. The only time you could say that I have, was when they brand new from the store. I just wash them in hot soapy water like I do everything else, and allow them to air dry. My son is 13 months old and has had One ear infection at the age of 8 months. He has not otherwise been sick. I say, stop when ever you want to.

0
12 0

I stopped sterilising my babies' bottles when they were about 6 month old and started eating food. The pediatric nurses that I used to work with, laughed at me for sterilising at all, their opinion was to only sterilise once when the bottles are new and then maybe once in a while, but just a normal wash should suffice even from newborn stage.
I often discussed this with my sister her to sterilised alot longer than I did - she claimed that the soya formula that her daughter used was more prone to growing bacteria which is why she continued sterilising.
I think that a lot depends on how quickly you wash your bottles, or if they tend to be left for a while with the used milk in them. It's quite a personal choice.

0
2 0

as long as your child uses them, but look out for that first tooth and ween off look sippy cups and regular plastic cups asap...

0
916 0

I steralized my kids bottles until the started crawling and putting anything the came across into their mouths. The reason a steralizer is used for new babies is to remove any harmful bacteria and large growth bacteria not the everyday germ. Bottles stay sanitized for up to 1 hour after the cycle has finished, when left in the steralizer. If they are taken out before 1 hour and filled with boiling water immediately, putting the teet and lid on, the inside of the bottle stays sanatized until use.

0
27 45

i stopped doing it everyday when my daughter was about 6 months old.

0
1 40

I just stopped sanitizing Shayden's bottles he's 4 months.

0
51 20

For me, it was after my eldest daughter spat out a cigarette butt she had picked up while we were on a building site (around 10 months)
With the others, once they were spending time moving around on the ground (and then putting those hands in their mouths), so around 4-6 months.

0
102 14

When my son was going to daycare, I sanitized his bottles every Friday. Now that he is at home with me and less exposed to germs, I sanitize his bottles once a month.

0
12 5

We continue to sterilize the bottles. We're using our "sanitize" setting on the dishwasher to achieve it and keep up with the workload without going crazy. It's been a fantastic time saver. My daughter is 5 1/2 months.

0