When does a child stop taking daytime naps?

When babies are young, it seems like they sleep all the time. As they get older, their naps start getting shorter and shorter. When can you start skipping the nap completely and have your child off daytime naps?

34 25

My daughter is 4.5 and she still NEEDS a nap. If she goes without, the next day (or more) are just awful!!!

I think it really depends on the individual child - some need more sleep at night and can easily power through the day, going to bed earlier in the evening.

Others have to have a break/downtime or a full nap mid-day because they sleep less at night, are VERY active, or just have a different overall body chemistry.

Most experts say that toddlers/preschoolers need a total of 10-12 hours of sleep - how that is divided up and where your child falls is up to many factors, the chid, the parents, lifestyle, overall schedules, etc.

I do know that most of us Moms (especially the SAHM's) RELISH, even NEED that mid-day rest!!!

21
9 15

I agree. My kids both NEED day time naps. My daughter is 6 and in her second year at school (Grade 1 in Australia) and she's only just coming out of having them on weekends. My son who is 3.5 tries not to have them, but rubs his eyes all the way through dinner, if he doesn't, so I still aim for at least a short one to help him power on and not be so whingey! Other kids just don't sleep till late at night if they have a day time nap, so it certainly does differ between kids. Sleep is so important though and effects so many more things than we often realise, so it's worth persisting to get the right mix for your family situation...

5 20

My daughter is 3 and needs her nap. There was a little blip along the way when she fought napping; there was also a time when she fought sleep altogether. But if she doesn't get her nap, she's a terror by 6! I think some parents might give into toddler testing, tend to forgo those naps too soon and end up with a whiny child but not realize a little sleep would change that behaviour. My daughter is only difficult when she hasn't slept properly. Just a thought!

12
5 20

4 1/2 update - still napping! I can let it go but boy is she awful by evening! :)

3 61

I don't think age matters. I still take naps when I get a chance. If your child is tired they will lie down, and if not then go full force until bed time.

7
2 9

I personally stopped naps with my 3 1/2 yr old girl when she was around 2 1/2. She wakes up regularly at 7:30 am and plays hard all day so by 5:00 we're taking a bath and by 7:00- 7:30 she's in bed. She has days when she tries to sneak off to take a nap, but it would only mean her going to bed later and not waking up as early the next day. this throws off the whole routine.
If you notice your child sleeping through the night for more than 10 hours, I would suggest eliminating the nap and getting a set schedule for bed time. This is easier to do now, in my opinion, rather that waiting until school starts and getting them on a schedule then.

2
6 11

enjoy it while it lasts, they quit on their own at the time you're most wanting therm to continue, lol :) Honestly let them begin the phase out process, or you'll have a cranky one on your hands. If they are going to preschool soon, start working around their schedule settings, soon, you'll notice every other day & then start phasing it out. :)

2
16 8

both my boys started giving up naps around the age of 3, 31/2. There are some days my 3 yr old still needs one but usually if he takes one he has a harder time falling asleep at night. I like their 8:00 bedtime so if he doesn't wake up unusually early or isn't running around all day he won't take a nap and i don't force it. once in awhile he will fall asleep on couch while i am making dinner but only for 1/2 hr. some days there are meltdowns b/c he is so tired without a nap but thats been wearing off as he is getting use to the no nap schedule. I don't think it has to do with age, just the individual child and what they need.

2
2 5

My 4 year old son has what we call "down-time". Even if it's laying in bed looking at his books, he's getting some rest. Sometimes he sleeps, sometimes he doesn't and that's fine. It really helps in our household. Plus, I get some down-time as well.............

2
5 48

We do the same thing for my 4 year but just call it quiet time. My 2 year still naps once a day. It is nice to have the down time on the weekends.

1 15

My four year old son takes naps voluntarily. My five year old daughter....doesn't. She NEEDS the nap, but will continue to fight the sleep until her brother wakes up. I have noticed, however, that it evens itself out by causing her to pass out at 8:30pm, PERFECT.
It's kind of like potty training, every kid is different and if you try to "force" stuff, it just stresses everybody out!

2
0 0

I have a 3 year old girl, Alexius. She will take a nap for me depending on the time she gets up in the morning. Whatever time she gets up I lay her down about 4 hours after and then get her up about 1.5-2 hours later. If she doesn't have a nap during the day she becomes a heathen come 5-6 PM and that's way too early for her to be going to bed!

2
2 23

Naps are piece of mind times for moms. Time to a few minutes or hours of deserving time to ourselves. Bianca is 3.5 and nap time for her is battery charge time fr growing.

17 9

My son is 3 1/2 and has been without daytime naps for almost a year now. Granted he does sleep 10-11 hours through the night. There was a point where we would fight with him to take a nap, then to wake him from the nap, and then again to get him to bed at night. Once we threw the daytime map out the window everything has been great.

1
9 4

I honestly one day forgot to put my son down for a nap because we were playing a lot, and the next day I tried it out because he did so well. If he is really crancky he will go down for a nap, especially since daycare still gives him one, but if we are playing and he does not seem to act tired, I let him play through. It has been blissful because he goes RIGHT to sleep at night now.

I am not going to lie though, when he gets closer to his bed time he does get crazy sometimes lol. Just have to push through the tantrum and keep thinking how much closer it is to bedtime =D

1
9 4

Oh BTW, my son is 2 1/2.

0 4

We have a 5.5 yr.old daughter Mariah and a 4.5 yr old son Todd. They have been regular nap takers since babies. Now that Mariah is going to be in kindergarten we are starting to allow her to not take one. She wont be able to do that at school so we want to prepare her body for staying up during that time so she doesnt have a hard time come school time. She is ok without one but tends to start falling asleep around 5 or 6 if we are not busy doing something. Our son still takes a nap like clock work and needs to or he wont make it through until 6:30 pm and that is a little to early to put him to bed especially in the summer. Both of my kids require alot of sleep asr there dad go's he doesnt but I do as well. So like we all agree its how the childs chemistry is, everyone is different.

1
2 0

Man, Im a 15 year old teen and im still napping hard on the daily. I need me some good sleeps man.

0
15 0

I GOT ONE THAT WILL BE 8 FRIDAY AND SHE STILL TAKES NAPS WHEN SHE GETS HOME BUT MY 4 YR OLD WONT TAKE A NAP

0
12 23

My 4 year old and 2 1/2 year old neither one take a nap. They stopped about 4 or 5 months ago even though they deff. still should take them because they get so so so crabby by bedtime

0
0 17

I have to let my 6 y/o boy to have a nap after lunch time so he won't get cranky and tantrums in the early evening, especially when we go out and need to be somewhere and would be able to go home late in the evening. If don't let him have his nap in the afternoon, it will be hard for me to handle his crankiness and would just end up me being impatient with him and both of us gets cranky at the end of the day.

0
0 0

my daughter is 4 and she naps in the daytime but if she doesnt she goes to bed early at nite otherwise she sleeps at around 11 pm at nite and wakes up for school next morning around 8 am...however i make sure she gets a total of 12 hours of sleep...also if she is getting cranky or has had a hectic day at school i make sure she takes a nap in the daytime...it relaxes her and she sleeps well through the nite too...for the daytime nap if she is has had a full meal then she sleeps well...at nite she must take a warm glass of milk and she sleeps well!

0
0 0

My son turned 2 in January and hasn't really wanted to take naps much any more. We go on a day by day situations and decide from there. If he wakes up at 6am, he will definately take a nap. Most days that he wakes up later he won't, but it has been much easier to get him to go to sleep at night without the nap.

0
0 8

My almost 3 year old son Emmett still takes naps. It depends on his moods and what time he gets up in the morning. There was a painful time (for me) when he would take a nap like normal but then wouldn't go to bed until late at night. Bed time is 8 and he kept coming down the stairs till almost 10! it was a good workout for me though running up and down the stairs. like so many of the other moms I just think it depends on your child and situation. I love nap time though :) It's such a great down time or getting things done time for me.

0
12 14

My 5 year old quit taking regular naps when he was 3 but will still occasionally fall asleep to a movie in the late afternoons, especially if he had a very active day. My 3 year old still takes naps about 3-4 times a week in the afternoon it will usually last 1.5 hours. I've tried getting her to take a nap every day at the same time but she won't do that anymore, quit taking regular daily naps about a year ago. I think it's the days she is in preschool (MWF) that she most needs the naps and will still take them after she gets home.

0
14 10

My son is almost 4 and he hasn't had naps in at least a year but he goes to bed faithfully every night at8 and slleps until in between 9:30 and 10. Occasionally I make him lay down if he just got over being sick or something he may need more sleep with. So I think it depends on the kid.

0
2 22

My kids will not take naps at all anymore and if they do it is on their own because they are tired. Like today my 4 year old daughter woke up earlier than she normally does and fell asleep about an hour ago. Kids will out grow daytime naps at their own pace I would not force naps on them if they don't want to take one.

0
3 3

I don't think it matters the age, its definitly the child! My daughter is an awesome sleeper and she is STILL a great napper if she needs on and she is 6. I would say 90% of the time she is fine, but I find Fridays, after school and the week of activites, she can be a little bit of a bear and so she'll lay down for a couple of hours, when I KNOW she needs it... She may disagree with weither she needs it or not, the harder she FIGHTS the more tired I know she is, she hasn't figured that out yet.
I have friends who deal with the meltdowns, and don't LET their kids nap anymore, I figure, there are days I need a rest, there are sure to be days she will need a rest too. Nothing wrong with that!
Play it by ear TOTALLY.
In our house, its all about going with the flow and doing what feels best for the circumstance, I can't imagine its going to be the same every kid, every day. There are certain things you can't put a limit, age, timeline, a schedule on.

0
5 31

My daughter is barley 2 and it is the hardest thing to give her afternoon naps. she doesn't want them anymore. every now and then she will take on but then she fights sleep at night. if she doesn't take her nap she falls asleep very quickly at her bedtime, which is around 8. my niece is almost 4 and she has a nap everyday still, so it depends on the child.

0
16 0

My son stopped his regular daytime nap before he turned two. I would drive him around in the car endlessly trying to get him to fall asleep but when that worked less and less I just stopped trying to force it. He would be really tired and difficult to manage in the early evening but we would give him supper at around 4:30/5pm, bath around 5:30 then books and a bottle and he would be asleep by 6/6:30. It seemed to work and my husband and I rather liked to have the evenings back to ourselves, even if it meant my losing out on that sacred timeout in the middle of the day.

0
178 0

This is one of those things that you can really let your child take the lead on. When my son was about 18 months, he resisted the afternoon nap. But, we kept making him take one for a while. Bedtime shifted a little later, gradually, until one night we found ourselves fighting to keep him in bed at 11pm. And it dawned on us: it's the afternoon nap. So, we stopped forcing it. And now, there are days he could still use one, but if he's not napped and awake again by about 1:30 or 2, we'll have that issue at bedtime. He gets 12 hours of sleep at night, so he's not deprived at all. He's almost 4 now, and it's very rare that he falls asleep in the afternoon. But, he has peers who are still taking a full afternoon nap and going to bed at a decent hour. So, all kids are different and you just have to tune into what your little one needs.

0
21 0

my kid does not take a nap at all..he goes to sleep at 10 or 10:30 pm..he woke up at early..sometimes 7 or 8 am. Is that good? please give me advice

0
21 0

he has so much energy.he does not need that much sleep..please help me

3 39

My 4 yr old son has stopped naps sinc he was about 2 1/2 not my choice..but we have issues with him sleeping as is. However, he will occassionally nap..Im thankful that my 2 yr old daughter still takes naps

0
18 17

My son stopped napping during the day very young, between ages one and two, but when he went to bed at night, he would sleep a solid 12 hours. It worked for him, but not for everyone. It just depends on the child.

0
5 2

My son is 23 months and at most he has a 30 min nap during the day but saying that he does sleep for 11-12 hours at night ( he goes down at 7pm and wakes between 6:30am & 7:30am)

0
76 32

my five year old stopped his daytimes naps at 18 months to 2 years old, although he does sometimes nap still now, eg if in the car, or if he falls asleep watching tv. x

0
7 41

It truly depends on the child and how well they can go through the day and function without taking a nap.
My son is 3yrs old and if he doesn't take a nap in school by then time he comes home its always a fuss or a battle to have him do anything. Once I calm him down and then leave him be he tends to go into his room and lay down.

Every child is different so a nap does help them refuel but if they dont need one don't force it.

0
2 18

My daughter only took naps for my husband, who's a stay at home dad, when I was at work. If I had the day off, she wouldn't nap at all. She started taking less and less naps around 2 and now is 3 and doesn't nap at all. She occasionally gets cranky, but doesn't need a nap at all. She does very well without napping, if she gets cranky, she goes to her room or sits on the couch and plays alone. She still goes to bed on time, around 8:30-9pm, sleeps through the night and wakes up at around 8 or 9am.

0
3 1

My son stopped taking naps shortly after he turned two. Luckily he sleeps 12 hours straight!

0
0 0

My now 3 year old started dropping them around 20 months and they were gone by 2. My 2nd son is now 22 month old won't have a nap about once a week so looks like I will get longer out of him but probably not by much. But my best friend still is able to get her 5 year old to nap. You should be able to tell early on if they are a child with a high or low sleep need.

0
0 0

All four of my children stopped napping between 18 months and 2 years. They still had "quiet time" until 3 years old but they didn't sleep. Every child is different, but that's how it was for me.

0
2 2

Children definitely vary. But if you know your child, then you know the signs of over-tiredness. Some children will require less sleep. My 4 year old still takes an afternoon nap 95% of the time. Usually it's 1.5 to 2.5 hours long. She naps better than my 1 year old, and usually sleeps an hour later over-night, too.

0
1 171

my son will be 4 next month and he still takes a nap after lunch. If he doesn't, he gets irritable around dinner time.

0
0 10

mines 3 1/2 and hasn't napped (unless sick ) for over a year !!! wishing he still did sometimes lol

0