When is my baby ready for solid food?

Your baby has been drinking breast milk or formula since birth. How do you start the transition to solid food, and how do you know whether your baby is ready?

33 12

I have a breastfed baby, 3 months old, weighing in at 19 lbs and we have not started any foods yet. We were told to wait until he is 6 months old. Since he is doing so well we will continue to only breastfeed until 6 months old.

1
31 1

baby's saliva changes when they start getting teeth, before this, best food is breast milk. Once teeth start, begin slowly with least allergic foods, Dont offer foods that either parent or close relative has allergy or intollerances to. Many Parents begin food too soon, told that giving, say Cereal will help the sleep. This is because, their system isnt ready, and it takes so much energy to digest, they dont have the energy to wake up!. If the poop begins to stink, then, the baby is not digesting the food correctly. If they begin to have nasty gas, again, they are not digesting well, setting them up for digestive problems later on.

1
5 22

they recommend that you give a baby rice cereal if they have acid reflux to help keep the food down. I started feeding my son rice cereal at an early age because of he was not satisfied. He sprouted teeth just before 3 months old and wanted real food but hates baby food. This was a first for me as my others loved their baby food but they didn't sprout teeth until the age of 11 months.

1 0

when they have first tooth, thats when you introduce something new, drop by drop and slowly increase dau by day, one drop the first time and so on. Make sure you observe for the reaction in poop and gas.

1
44 33

That depends on your baby. The CPS and AMA both recommend that you BREASTFEED exclusively for 6 (SIX) months. There are too many benefits to BFing. That being said. Let the child tell you when they are ready. (ie grabbing at your plate). They should be able to hold their own head up, push food out of their mouth with their tongue (drooling has nothing to do with solid food - though the saliva does change when they are ready for solids, but how could you possibly tell by looking at it?), turn their head away when they have had enough... All the "books" recommend you start with cereals and add breast milk to mix. They say cereal because they are fortified with iron. If you are BFing they are getting the iron they need so don't worry about that, start with whatever is on your plate that the child can stick a hand in and put in their mouth. Also, unless food allergies are very prevalent in your family don't worry too much about one food every three or four days. The only thing I would say about this is hold off on peanuts and egg whites until a year. Sometimes babies react to strawberries too. There is no reason to start with vegetables over fruit because none of them is sweeter than breast milk! The more in the natural state of the produce the better, steam don't boil and just mash what can be mashed (avocado and bananas). If they have had formula and you are not concerned about cow's milk, don't worry if those mashed potatoes have butter in them. Just let the baby eat them. An important note. They DO NOT need teeth to chew! BFing exercises the jaw really well and they can chew just about anything short of steak and pork chops! Always stay with your child when they are eating. Also for best results make sure the baby is not too hungry when introducing solids. Top them up with breast milk and they will be happier to try. Breast milk is still their ONLY source of nutrition so make sure that they are still nursing the same amount.

528 0

6 months or later. When infants are sitting up and look interested in food, they may be ready to try. I'm a firm believer in at least waiting until 6 months. We started my son at exactly 6 months, because my husband was anxious for him to eat. Well he ate way more of the oatmeal then the box said an infant would for the first feeding. However now that I know more about waiting for solids, I may wait longer if/when I have baby 2. My son was EBF for the first 6 months.

0
123 3

There's some studies I read that says baby rice cereal is actually not suitable starter foods! No time to google on this now, but personally, I think starter pureed vege and fruits, esp those like sweet potato be good! Sugar would be natural too, instead of baby cereal.. also for those with milk allergy, be sure not to opt for the cereal with milk powder.

Hugs!
Mei of EczemaBlues

0
0 0

Sorry i dont know how to post a question! But I was just wondering when the right time to start introducing my 3 month old baby solid foods? she is breastfed and is wanting to be on the boob all day. She use to only fed every 4 - 5 hours and have 2 reasonable naps and a few little ones a day and would sleep from about 8:30pm to about 7:30am every night. But now she has 20 minute naps wakes up has a little play and a feed then goes back down for another 20 minute nap and does the same thing over and over again all day and of a night she wakes up very for 4 or so hours to be fed?

0
0 0

Well that depends on your baby. My baby started pulling on my plate at 3 months and he doctor me that i could start giving her rice cereal when she was 4 months. And the reseason was that she was already opening her mouth when she saw somebody eating. Now she is 5 months and eating baby food and she loves it. So i think you should ask your baby's doctor before you start feeding it anything different other than fromula or breastmilk.

0
235 30

Well my doctor recommended waiting to start until 6 months old. I read if your child watches you eating and reaches for the spoon they are probably ready. For the first month my son couldn't figure out what to do with his tongue so he would just push the cereal out. Once I turned the spoon sideways and just let him suck the food off the spoon less came back out. Now he opens up his mouth for the next bite. Now we're just trying to figure out when he will be ready for finger food. He doesn't pick up anything including toys and put them in his mouth.

0
2 3

Wow, my baby stared to eat baby food at 4 months.She had rice, carrots, veggies and chicken blended at 6month. She even had boiled yellow egg with bannanas. She is not playing with food. lol... Now she is grabbing things from the big kids. We have to give her cheese curls for snacks.

0
6 64

i started my little girl on mashed banana's at 14week as she was on the extra hungry milk and taking 4oz every hour and half (this is how i new milk wasnt enough and gradually build up to dinner and then tea and she is now almost 7 months and as her 3 meals a day and woteva she see me and her daddy eating lol xx

0
70 11

very early on my son looked longingly whenever anyone ate near him (3 days) by 8 weeks he was starving so we began baby rice (he was over 13lbs in weight) he loved it and hasn't looked back by 4 months he was grabbing full slices of toast off my plate. He's not a fan off baby food and loves to try whatever we're having, so if he doesn't eat much thats fine, I know he's getting his nutrition from his formula milk.

0
16 0

I've started my 4 month old on rice cereal- 1 tsp at first and gradually building up to 5. We do this morning and evening. At 5 months we will start to introduce a sweet pureed veggie for lunch... this on the advice of a baby clinic we visit.

0
235 30

Our doctor also told us to start with one meal a day the first week, the second week 2 meals and so on until we got up to 3 meals a day plus a snack. She said no juice. She also said once we were up to 3 meals a day we could discontinue supplemental bottles. Now that he's 9 months she said to add meats. She said for now only single fruits and vegetables and baby cereal. Once he has the pincer grasp mastered we can try soft cheeses and Cheerios or other finger food cut up into very small pieces. I am still breastfeeding 6 times a day as well. I have found that if I breastfeed first my children don't want to eat anything else. So I give them their baby food first when they are most hungry and then let them nurse as long as they want. This is also what my doctor recommended. She also recommended Trivisol vitamin drops as breastfed babies use up all their iron stores from their mother by 6 months and they don't get enough from breastmilk. Also it's very hard for them to get enough just from eating iron rich foods. Once a week in the sun does help with the Vitamin D stores though.

4 27

We give my 8mth old son stage 2 baby food but whn we try to give mashed taters he acts like he's choking he does that with veggies also. So idk if he justs doesn't like it or he's not ready for it?

0
9 12

take it slow, try a bite here a bite there, he or she will let you know when they are ready to move on to more.

0
37 18

When they start gumming their way through a teething rusk lol
Seriously, when they can sit up, are drooling at the sight of people eating, and are trying to grab food of peoples plates. I started with a rice cereal and moved on to puree'd fruits and vegies. With my son we moved very quickly to finger foods due to his disinterest in mush after a month.

0
84 0

I heard Dr. Paul Fleiss speak at a LLL Convention a few years ago. He's a very well respected pediatrician from Beverly HIls. He said that when they start drooling and grabbing at YOUR food, they're ready.

As I recall, he said that the amount and character of the saliva changes at the time they're ready to process more complex more complex foods.

I kind of figured that when they want what's on your plate, it's probably time to ease them into solids, but I didn't know about the drooling being an indicator.

0
4 15

I started giving my kids fruit puffs and softer foods about 3 months old

0
3 0

usually a baby is ready to have his solid food at the age of 4 months but it varies as well. whenever you are ready to provide your baby with solid food, you must keep in mind what he wants to have and what is healthy got him. http://goo.gl/f6Yho this blog talks about what solid foods should be introduced to the baby, do go through it