When is it OK to start painting a baby's toenails?

2 13

I started polishing my daughters toes when she was about 6 months, I found a polish called Piggy Paints, it's non-toxic & made for kids. She's now 4 & we use our polishing time to bond & talk & I love it I dont feel it's superficial or detrimental to who she is. I enjoy this time w/ her

5
0 7

My older boys 11 & 9 painted their baby sisters toe nails "Hussy Red" when she was 3 days old. Used a toothpick to dot the very small nail on her baby toe. They were done once a week till she was old enough to kick & be mad about sitting still.

4
36 33

I think that is absolutlely adorable and a great way to get them to bond with her!!!!

0 0

If you are interested in painting your little one's nails check out Piggy Paint or Hopscotch Kids natural nail polishes. The stuff in adult nail polish can be harmful for children due to their thin nails. Both polishes can be purchased online.

3
4 25

Wow, someone didn't learn that every question is a valid one. Anyway........I agree with Ashley, it's a personal choice. I have three boys and have let them "play" having nail polish on their fingers as a part of dressing up play. Then it comes off. Nail polish is not a life long commitment, it's just for fun.

3
309 39

We waited until our daughter was about 3 to start. She was imitating my morning routine and liked to pretend to do her nails -- unless we tried to cut them. At that point, nail painting became a reward for her sitting still and not fussing while we got the job done.
Now that she's almost 4, nail painting isn't a "norm" but it does help keep her fingers out of her mouth.

3
155 0

Never. Never, Never on a baby's toenails.

2
0 0

H

87 12

Whenever they stop sucking on their toes. Same deal for fingers. I paint both of my kids nails and it's fun. I rarely use make up, but I love my nails.

2
119 63

The advice on here cracked me up! Seriously, some moms are so touchy and abnormally protective! Painting your nails and putting on make-up is not HORRIBLE or SUPERFICIAL! It's a way of expression and having fun. Female bonding time!!! It's not as harsh as the tap water you drink or the air your breathe. Just as long as you don't make them drink it, I think they will be perfectly fine. haha! My daughter is 18 months and still puts her fingers in her mouth, so I haven't started this yet. But I did pierce her ears! OH THE HORROR! haha! Once she hits two, I'll be shaving her legs and adding lipstick into the mix. lol just kidding just kidding!! I'll probably be painting them when she stops eating her fingers all the time... not because it's toxic, but because it will make her nails look cracked and crazy. ;)

2
2 13

I don't know if you want to paint her nails her nails yet or not but Piggy Paints is a natural, non-toxic polish made for kids, they even have non-toxic remover. We love it!! I think they're website is www.piggypaints.com

0 1

I started painting my oldest daughter's toenails just before she turned three. She'll sit still long enough for me to do it now, and she likes having "pretty toenails" like her mother and grandmother. I've painted my 1 1/2-year-old's toenails a couple of times, but she is usually too antsy to let me finish. I don't see anything wrong with it! And you can get nail polishes that have few of the harmful chemicals found in some cosmetics.

2
1,510 49

One day, when my daughter was 8 months old, my niece decided to paint her toenails hot pink to go with her summer dress! My husband wasn't too happy when Ruby pointed down at her toes and giggled! I think its fine as long as it is non-toxic (I'm sure most are) and as long as they sit still and wait for it to dry before sampling their toes or fingers! I personally don't wear any make up or any sort of polish.

1
5 15

I just recently started painting my daughters nails and toenails. She asked so I did it. I don't paint the thumb she sucks on and I only painted her toenails after she stopped eating her toes. I don't see anything wrong with it and she loves having pretty nails. She asks me a few times a day to paint her nails even though they're already done.

1
0 0

I see some of the comments and think that painting babies nails is cute if you dont like it dont do it dont put down the people who do.ppl get so worked up well news flash its their baby not yours

0
1

Persons, like baby's, are not toys. Who decide it's fun? Your baby or you?

0
0 0

No one said they are toys. Some people like to dress up their baby.

193 30

Paint them when their nails stop growing like weeds, otherwise you will just be clipping the polish off right away! I have a son, so I wont be painting his nails anytime soon, but I find I have to trim his nails once a week at least, otherwise they grow too long!

0
10 0

I painted my daughters toes at 15 months. I put her down for a nap and told her I'd have a big suprise for her when she woke up. When she saw them she was so excited because they matched mommies toes!

0
0 0

I don't remember when exactly we started(15 months -2 years)... she hated when I cut her nails and would fight me, but she wanted to have them painted. So, I told her I wasn't going to paint them til I could cut them. Now she is 3 and looks forward to snuggling and a pedicure

0
9 0

Im actually thinking about painting her nails but her father wont let me lol but I was always curious if I could use regular or is there a special kind to use but now that I read some of the comments I will start painting her nails and by the way shes 10 months old

0
18 53

Our daughter was only days old when we painted hers with regular nail polish. our reasoning for it was we had IDENTICAL twin girls and they were hard to tell apart. we got their ear's pierced at 9 months so we woildnt have to take their socks and shoes off for family to be able to tell them apart. Personally, I think it is up to you. You will make the decision. You believe it right. My girls are now 3 and LOVE getting their nails painted.Oh, we painted her toenails, not her finger nails. She has tremors and it is VERY hard to paint those tiny nails when they are shaking.

0
27 35

People can be so judgmental; my sister in law, who is much younger than me painted her daughters toenails when she was barely a month old. Because of how I was raised (my sister and I couldn't wear colored nail polish until we went to highschool said my uber strict dad), I thought "really? polish a babies nails?" Then I looked at those adorably cute pale pink toes and thought they look great! My baby, who is a year older, started getting hers polished too, and we love it; its a little mommy time with her, makes her feel special and girly and we like it. I only use pale or pastel colors, though (my little hang up). Do what you want with your baby.

0
106 0

When they will sit still for it (I suppose you can do it in their sleep, but once they turn I'd imagine the whole thing will just get over the sheets). I would also not do it if your munchkin is putting their feet in their mouth (or paint fingernails if they put their hands in their mouths). They make non-toxic, formaldehyde-free nail polish that is removed with acetone-free removers (and sometimes plain old alcohol). The first one that comes to mind is "piggy paint." I haven't done it for my daughter who's 2.5, but she hasn't asked for it and I just don't see her sitting still for it (I still clip her nails in her sleep and getting her bangs trimmed was an event!). She loves to pretend to "do her makeup with crayons", and I don't even wear it that often, so I suspect it's just a matter of time before she asks for nail polish LOL.

0
31 22

I paint my 15 moth olds toe nails all the time. She is very squirmy so I do it when she's asleep or when I am painting my 8 year olds. When she sees her sister sitting still to get hers done she try's to be still. I also make a game out of blowing on her toes to dry them and she thinks it's funny and can usually sit still till they dry. I have not yet painted her fingers only because she is always putting her fingers in her mouth.

0
0 0

Whenever you the parent want. I think this is a personal opinion not a question on what's right and wrong. Just like you see here in the answers listed below. One lady said never--in a sort of rude manner, and the other said they started about 3. I have been painting my little girls toenails and finger nails since shew as 1 1/2! she loves it! it doesn't take that long cause she sits still but I know parents that painted them when they were baby babies! As long as you're not harming them or forcing them. I don't see a problem with it!

0
0 3

Unfortunately, putting nail polish, ,just as make-up does harm your baby/child.Its not rocket science those products block pores of skin, are filled with heavy metals, and inappropriate chemicals( I never even paint my nails,becasue its my hands that caress my children, and make their food); nail polish has toxic fumes, and acrylic damages the nails, and discolours them in the lonf term( and do you use acetone to remove it too?)Why would u add poison to a child's body, when it already so polluted everywhere else?). I'd say never.And raising your kid to be superfiial is also harmful. Teach them they are perfect how they are, not with fake colours.

27 7

I really didn't believe that this was a serious question. What is the point of painting a baby's toenails anyway? Aren't they cute/sweet enough without adding nail polish? Unbeleivable.

I do think that 3yo girls might be allowed to wear non-toxic polish as part of play or if they're attending a special event (like a wedding) once in a while, though, not as a regular thing.

And fingernails, perhaps at age 5 or 6, also for a special event, as long as it's a light pink or tan, or clear.

They will grow up in a blink, let them be little and enjoy that age while you can!

-1
0 0

really? Is this actually a serious question? well to answer your question NEVER!!!!

-1
4 8

My thought that this is a stupid queastion but i am still going to respond there is more important things to think about thin painting a baby's toes why you want them to grow up so fast i bet your follow up question going to be when she i put lip sstiick and eye shodow on the baby I would never put nail polish on my baby but to each its on only you can decided that I hate to see you handle dificult question if you got to ask stupid ones I just saying. you ask and this is my opinion

-2
3 27

Punctuation is wonderful.