When is she old enough for baby food?

At what age do you think your child is old enough to begin eating baby food? What are some tell-tale signs you can look out for to know for sure?

9 4

My two sons just eat. Their father is over 6ft tall so you can guess who they take after. With my eldest, from about 6 weeks on every second day he would be on both breasts for the next 24-30 hrs. I felt drained exhausted and irritable because I couldnt put him down to go get something to eat or sleep. I just sat their drinking water swapping boobs. My mother told me to try him on solid food. He was 4 mths old by then. So I gave him some farex (baby rice cerial). I also gave him our own food but with breast milk and it was pulverised. When my second son was born he started to do the same thing as his brother. So I started him on the farex and formula. He was 2mths old. Just a couple of baby spoons a day with some breastmilk twice a day helped. His tummy was fuller, he was happier and he slept better and I didn't feel twice as wrecked. Depending on the baby, if they just want to eat all the time and you are breast feeding, giving them some baby cerial a couple of times a day is great. its made for that reason. If not, try formula. Babies will tell you when they are ready. All you have to do is listen. If you are unsure, ask someone.

1
961 14

Spooning processed baby food into an infant's mouth is a complete waste of time and money. It has no nutritional or developmental use until the child is capable of spooning it in themselves. By then they can eat what the rest of the family is eating--perhaps cooked softer or cut smaller depending on that particular meal.

Whan are they ready to join in the family meal?
Baby food companies say 4 months.
The AAP says 6 months.
The WHO says 1 year.
I say when they grab it off my plate and eat it, I'll get them their own plate. That was 5 months for my first and 9 months for my second..

1
235 30

My son is 16 months old and if it weren't for "baby food" he would starve. He eats very little "table food" on his own. He doesn't have any teeth yet and is afraid of choking so he eats very little textured food. At least with "baby food" I can see how many calories he's getting and know he's getting a balanced diet in addition to breast milk and the hypoallergenic formula he gets through his g-tube. Once a child is 6 months old they have used all their iron stores from their mother and need to be eating solid food so they can get the vitamins their body needs. At that age the scraps of food they eat here and there and formula or breastmilk alone just doesn't cut it. If a child can only eat "baby food" and it is helping them to grow and thrive then how is that a complete waste of time and money? Or are you just saying you're too busy to take the time to spoon feed your child? "Baby food" is only a waste of money if a child won't eat it. If "baby food" has no nutritional value then why does it have a nutrition guide that lists the amount of all the vitamins, minerals, fat, calories etc. on the back of the jar? If it's not important developmentally then why do both my son's occupational and speech therapists have me use it to help him learn how to coordinate his sucking it off the spoon and swallowing it? They said it is an important phase in a baby's development to eventually feeding themselves; first parent feeding baby purees, second parent feeding baby textures, third baby eating finger foods, fourth baby using spoon to self feed. It is fine to give a baby small pieces of what you're eating if they "ask" for it and you're there the whole time to monitor for choking, but the majority of babies aren't ready for table food at 5 months old and certainly will not eat enough for their sole nutrition even at 9 months old. Joining in the family meal just means baby is sitting at the table with the family socializing. They don't have to necessarily be eating what the family does. Most moms I know either need to feed baby before or after the family meal because it's too hard to eat your own food and feed baby at the same time, unless you're a mom that enjoys eating cold food. It's fine to have opinions, but irresponsible to post such misinformation on here. I hope the majority of moms who get on here are smart enough to take their advice on feeding their children from medical professionals and not from this site.

38 12

With my oldest, he was a few days shy of 6 months. With our second son, I introduced it at 7 months, but didn't push the issue, and he didn't take to it until after a year. It is just unnecessary fat, and not nearly as high in calories as breast milk, so I saw no need to push the issue.

1
235 30

Because my son has had so many problems with eating I have learned way more about feeding babies with him then I did with my 6 daughters previous to him. Breastmilk is only 20 calories per ounce. The only way you know how many ounces a feeding your child is taking is if you pump in place of a feeding and see how many oz. you get. The average 12 month old needs 900 calories a day for sufficient weight gain. The average large jar of baby food has 140 calories. My son only takes 3-4 oz. of breastmilk a feeding which is only 60-80 calories. Plus breastmilk is very low in iron. Infants use up the iron stores they get from their mother somewhere between 4-6 months of age. So by 6 months of age babies need dark green vegetables and iron fortified cereal or they will be anemic and unable to have the reserve they need to fight off illnesses. Also they need to spend a little time in the son to make Vitamin D which is another essential vitamin that breastmilk is low in. Even though my son also gets formula, because he can't go into crowds during respiratory system due to a poor immune system, he is deficient in Vitamin D and needs to take a supplement. Baby food is not unnecessary fat. The first 2 years of life a baby needs a lot of fat for their rapid brain growth. This is why doctors have you wean a child to whole milk until age 2. Better to give your child healthy fat such as avocados then Cheetos or chocolate which I see so many people feeding their babies.

0 8

I don't see a problem with it. I mean every baby is different, and every parent knows their baby better than anyone else. I have a 4 year old, who started on jarred foods at 6 months, same as cereal. Now at 4, he's a great eater. However, I now have a 2 1/2 month old dughter and I'm starting to notice she watches us when we eat, formula is filling her up, rice cereal is helping a little bit. But when were eating together at the table she tries to reach for our food, I've given her mashed potatoes before and she loves it. I've made a spinach, banana and strawberry smoothie and let her have a taste, just to experiment and she loves it. Being born at only 5pounds, my 2 1/2 month old daughter is already 11 lbs. And noticing that formula isn't filling her up, 3-4 ounces every 2 - 2 1/2 hours I think starting her on pireed pr jarred foods is a good idea. Ot will help her sleep better at night and keep her fuller longer. But again, every baby is different, u know what's best. Always check with your ped, but still go with your gut.

0
353 0

Sally- I am laughing my head off because that is just what my did.

Now mind you she really could not eat solids until she was closer to 2 1/2 because of the immature digestive system, lactose intolerance, other intolerances- chemical and food, and a boatload of allergies, but my Husband I were sitting eating our hamburgers in front of the tv and she just comes over and grabs my big old hamburger right out of my hands and takes a huge bite!!! hahahaha. Poor baby. It was right after then I had to get on the ball and try to find organic starter foods she could have.

She stopped doing that once we got her onto some pureed veggies and avacado which at 10 1/2 she still loves.

0
20 13

my oldest was 4 months, my second 2 months and my youngest 7 months when they were ready for solids, i think you just know, theres a few early growth spurts but my middle fed every 2hrs on a 9oz bottle on hungry baby milk and was never satisfied until he had mashed apple or a bit of baby rice daily, he was on proper family food cut up by 7 months were as my youngest wasnt ready until 7 months so it changes child to child x

0
20 13

also the recommended age changes as when my oldest was born it was suggested at 4 months were as with my second 2 years later was suggested at 6 months

13 20

when they start to show interest in you eating, they want your spoon/fork and imitate the movements that you make. every baby is different, somewhere between 4months and a year is normal.

0
1 0

my son jayden was never introduced to baby jars. I started introducing my son on soild blended pured food when he was about 2 - 3 months old. I was recomended by my GP because he wasn't getting the vitams he need form formula milk. He was going through about 3 - 4 bottles every 2 hrs. I think as a parent you should go with your inticit because you know what is best for your own child better than anyone else in their lives.

0
14 13

Our pedi told us we would know when she was ready. Your baby is the best indicator. One clue is when the baby no longer thrusts the tongue out when you put a spoon there. A quick simple test to find out for sure. I started my oldest at 4 months (cereal) and my youngest at 3 and a half (she needed more to fill her up, nursing issues to battle) But I waited until 6 or 7 months to start fruits and veggies purees

0
4 2

My daughter is 4 months and her doctor actually recommended starting her on baby food because formula just isn't satisfying her enough (she eating 6oz every 2hrs during the day). I started my 1st daughter at around 5 months and she did just fine (she is now 3). But I guess do what you feel is best for your baby. I don't completely go off of what the "experts" say. Only you know your child. They say with cereal if your baby can sit up with support and opens mouth for spoon but as for food I'm not sure if there are "signs".

0
1,738 8

We chose to wait until 6 months to allow the gut to close. It's also what the experts (WHO, etc.) recommend.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

0
1 0

There is no set age. Each baby/child is different. My daughter started on baby food at 4 months and she did wonderful with it! She is now a year and she is table foods mostly. But some babies are not ready at 4 months, some need to wait until 6 or 7 months. You have to sort of experiment and try it with them and feel out your baby and what you think is best :)

0