When should I be concerned about my child stuttering?

Parents often worry if their child's language development is delayed or age appropriate. When should parents worry about their child stuttering?

5 2

Both of my children stuttered around the age of 3. I was told by my pediatrician that if they are repeating complete words (she she she, when when when, etc) that I didn't need to worry about it. As their language skills matured they would outgrow it. If they started repeating sounds (c c c can, i i if, etc) or drawing sounds (caaaaaaan, seeeeeeeee, etc) out then it was time to check into it further. In my case it was the whole word and before knew it they were done.

3
28 50

We went through this. Our 3 year old would get excited and her mouth couldn't keep up with her brain. We were told explicitly not to call attention to it in the least, and that it goes away better if you act like it is totally normal, not even asking the child to slow down or calm down. So we spent a couple of months just smiling and patiently waiting for her to finish. It decreased quickly and now only shows up when she is obviously excited or over stimulated.

The urge is there to ask them to slow down, but often that just adds stress to the child, even if it doesn't seem like it, and can exacerbate the problem. The other thing that was recommended to us was not to ask her to modulate her voice most of the time. They say that whispering is easy for a child so that is a good route, but speaking in a quieter normal voice is physically stressful and can also exacerbate stuttering.

When we did these things, a problem that was getting very bad went almost completely away within three months. But she doesn't have a physical issue that was causing the stuttering. There are many forms. This was just normal developmental stuttering.

2
0 26

My son is 6, he just recently started stuttering. After reading the comments I will have to listen more carefully because I am not sure but I do think its full words. He started to talk very early I think. I have nocited its when he seems to be excited or when he thinks someone is not paying attention if he is talking in a group. Never seems to be when he is reading. I do encourage him to slow down and think about what he is saying. I decided I will just keep an ear to it for a little while.

2
0 0

Many children who are between the ages of 2-5 will stutter, this is referred to as developmental stuttering and may be due to the developement and use of grammactical structures. As children begin to learn the rules of grammar and their sentences become longer, they may stutter. About 75% of preschoolers who begin to stutter will stop and will do so within months of when they began to stutter. Many times if there is a predisposition for stuttering, a child may stutter longer and with more severity.

2
0 9

My daughter will be 4 in October and 2 weeks ago she started to stutter. Before this, she would speak fast but clear. I found when she was excited it got worse. After the last 2 weeks of telling her to slow down, and think about what you want to say and take a breath, the stuttering became less frequent. Still working on it!

1
0 23

When yo know it runs in the family. I have 2 sons that stutter and they have family members that stutter also. If it gets more servere and last longer then you shouls speak to your child's doctors

1
22 0

Yes, that is true. I stutter, so I am paying close attention to my son's speech as he will probably have a better chance of stuttering than a child of a parent who does not stutter.

1

my though is her mom and dad split up and both have new people in ther life could this be a trauma for her

0
3 4

i had this with my middle child and now my youngest who is 3.5 is also doing the same, he has good days and bad, when he's excited especially, some days its awful, my eldest went to speech therapy but i'll not bother with my youngest as i remember how to go through it myself without the bother of going there everyweek. my mum always said 'oh she'll grow out of it' i think she probably would have done too.

0
3 4

all the therapist does is tells you to have a 'me' time where you focus only on that child and you play games when he/she stutters you say oh was that a tricky word or did you have trouble with that word etc and ask them to say it again, usually they repeat it clearly and you praise them, if not don't push it, steadily over time you introduce saying these terms all through the day and eventually it reprogrammes their brains to think about what they are saying.

1 23

My son is 8 almost 9 and he has stuttered since he first started talking. He started working with an SLP when he was in kindergarten (age 5/6) and she was amazing. Last year he was assigned to a new SLP lady through the district and he regressed terribly. Honestly, Wait until the child starts school and the teachers/staff can tell you what they think. Your kid will be among peers and it will be easier for the teacher to notice things without bias. IF speech is an issue, make sure to play a part in their therapy, always know what the weekly lesson was.

0
62 42

I have just had mu three yr old assessed by a speech expert at the Ministry of Education here in NZ as I was worried about his stutter, He would repeat I I I w w want a drink. Stutter on different letters on different days etc. There was no rhyme and he has what the call Dysfluency it is NOT a stutter or stammer. It is normal in children aged 2.5-3.5yrs and can hang around till 5 or 6yrs. If he is tired it is more prominent. He also developed his language abilities very early and was forming full sentences at 15 months. He will be assessed in 3 months time to see if has gotten worse or not. I would say if in doubt or worried get them checked it is a very anxious time for the kids and parents.

0
18 6

My son is nearly four and for a couple of months just after he turned three he was repeating words and letters within words and sounded like he was stuttering. We left him alone thinking it was possibly developmental stuttering but then I remembered that it started a day or so after sitting next to an older kid who was struggling with reading to a parent at the library. My son is a fluent reader and had never heard anyone reading like that. He is also so easily influenced by peers that I though he might be copying. When I discussed it with him he said he remembered the boy and I said it was ok to talk like the boy if he was pretending to be that boy but when he was being himself that he needed to talk in his real voice. The improvement after this wasn't instantanious but it was pretty amazing and he no longer talks like he's stuttering at all.

0
31 28

My son is 8 and he sometimes pauses a lot between words or repeats whole words. I think of it as stuttering, but I think it is his brain that is going too fast for his mouth? Maybe.
He only gets that way when he is reading out loud or talking in front of a group. Maybe just nerves.

0
22 0

I am an adult stutterer, so I know first hand about growing up stuttering. Your previous responses are right on target with regards to waiting and contacting the appropriate professionals. Try not to obsess over it, and stress yourself out either, it is something you need to take a day at a time. You have kids who stutter and you have kids who are stutterers and at that age there really are alot of gray areas. Wish you the best.

0
0 9

My son started stuttering while on vacation last year when he was a couple months from being 3. It was pretty bad and scared me to death. I read up on it and found out that it is intensified with lack of sleep, extreme excitement, and change. All those things were very much a part of our vacation. The doc also told me not to worry and it would prob stop. It continued until just recently. I had a few worries about it, but he is a super intelligent boy and has no problem communicating and understanding. If it does show up again, I will get testing done.

0
3 16

My son who is five and will be six in sept. stutters sounds. We had him tested which in SC is a joke. I watched him closely to see what triggered the episodes. He does not stutter all the time. We learned that his older sister triggered it. She would get him all flustered and excited and then he would start. The most important thing to do is not repeat his sentences, or finish them for him. Do not draw attention to his stuttering. My son will start k5 this fall, my husband and me are fully expecting him to have some speech classes. Over all ride it out and keep is doctor informed.

0
0 0

I know you worry about your son but I bet that he will be fine! Most speech therapists will not put a 5 year in speech for stuttering because it can still be developmental at that age.

1 8

My son stuttered his words around the age of 3 also he will be 5 in december and does not stutter at all anymore. His doctor told me to monitor it to make sure it did not get worse.

0
6 4

Dif in doubt take ur child to the doctor it wont hurt my 6 yr has adhd and sometimes when she doesnt have her meds she starts to stutter her doc said sometimes it just happens

0