When should I start thinking about potty training ?

When is the right age to start thinking about potty training your child. What signs should you look for that indicate your child is ready to start potty training?

1 23

My answer to this is when they are good and ready. My child is 29 months old and still in nappies. I figure when he is ready, he will tell me, rather than the other way around. He goes to day care 5 days a week and they don't seem fussed by him still being in nappies (all the other 2-3 year olds are too). He sees his father and I using the toilet, so he will figure it out eventually. I know some parents start putting their children on the potty from 6 weeks of age and swear they can train them then. Quite frankly, all power to them cause I just don't have that kind of committment to getting them out of nappies that fast! I have never seen a teenager in nappies.... so they all learn somehow, and eventually, at whatever rate THEY are ready.

23
0 14

When they're ready and show interest. No point in stressing yourself and your your baby.

9
18 1

As soon as the child can sit unsupported,start training! Waiting fot the child to decide is a futile,costly and extremely hard work exercise. Course the books etc are going to tell you to "leave it till the childs ready",they were probably written or sponsered by the baby industries and so rake in more money by advocating such things.You are making nothing but a rod for your own back by listening to such tosh.
The earlier you start,the less arguments and the easier it is to get the child used to the potty.At the end of the day its up to you to know your childs bodily function habits to see when the childs needs to sit on the potty for the maximum effect! Repeartition is a good teacher and training come far more natural.Trust me ...you wouldnt have been potty trained by your mum using this "when the child is ready" nonsense. Ask her!!!!

4
87 0

i'm 45yrs old and i did ask my mother: she looked at me blankly and said "i don't know - you just told me one day you didn't want diapers any more".

5 11

I once took a course where we learned that doctors have found that children develop later than they thought. Some children develop even later which is why there is bed wetting in grade school children. If trained too early, a child can learn to hold "it" in an unhealthy way. They recommend that potty training should start around 2 years of age.

4
5 20

i have been told that others have trained their babies when they were 5 months old but to be honest my daughter is almost 3 and shes not ready she tried it for a week and nothing i hate being pushed into training her i will start when shes ready ..

4
0 1

my son is just turned 3 & have been potty training for months he still is not ready hopefully it wont be much longer

0 39

I can hardly believe all these posts about children not being trained until 3-4. I think if it's not pushed kids will just continue to wee and poo into their diapers because they don't know any different. Put the potty in the main living area and leave their pants off at home or at least something they can get out of easily such as underwear or a pull up diaper. My 3 kids were all fully toilet trained by 18 months and no it was not pushed onto them, we used good old fashioned encouragement and rewards. My youngest son who is now three was so excited and proud of himself when he made his first poo on the potty. It was the size of a raisin and he kept shouting "I made a poo! I made a poo!!!". It's hard work but ALL children can be trained well before their second birthdays, it just takes a bit more effort on the parents part.

3
87 0

well, bully for you - glad you managed it. who cares? if we line your 3 kids up with my 3 kids, you can't tell by looking which four were potty trained before their 2nd birthday, which one was potty trained at 3, and which was still wearing diapers in kindergarten.

0 5

I think that a child should be ready to potty train and if you see the signs I would wait until they are at least 2 but I would start no later then 2 1/2 even if they are not getting it and still wet in the diaper or pull up I would be consistent and bring them to the bathroom to try it becomes a worse problem later I have seen kids who think it is funny that they are still in a diaper and even more funny when they poop in it my nephew was 4 1/2 when his mother finally started potty training him and it was a nightmare you need to make them know where poop and pee belongs and even though diapers are used they need to know that is what a baby uses and they are not a baby they are a big kid

3
95 0

A good way to tell is if and when your child starts resisting diaper changes. At around 2.5 my son started throwing horrible tamtrums and fighting me off everytime it was time to change his diapers! so I said that's it, no more battles over this! and decided to begin taking him in the bathroom with me as often as possible, just to expose him to the concept. I also started having him watch potty training type cartoons and videos on youtube and that sparked up his curiosity for sure. After a few days he started approaching the potty and I would let him, until one day he said he had to go peepee and he's been doing great since then!

2
0 0

Every child is different! I promise, they will let you know when they are ready - but it IS OK to bring it up every now and then too. The first sign I've noticed is they are no longer wetting during the night. I have five kids - my oldest daughter was trained by 18 months and my youngest daughter was trained by 29 months. My boys were not ready until they were closer to 2 1/2-3 years old. If they are truly ready they will train in 2-3 days. If it takes longer than that they are probably not ready.

2
1 12

I waited until my son was telling me he needed to go (about 20 months) we went out one day brought pull ups for the night time and a potty. Explained it to him and went from there.
He had good days and bad days - we set a limit 3 accidents then into a pull up - a lot of people advise against this but it helped our son to understand it was big boy thing and he needed to go in the potty.

It worked for us and after a few weeks he had the hang of it. He has been in pants ever since. He has to odd accident but on the whole did reallt well. Next step night time but not in a hurry to push this he is happy in pull ups for bed and most nights wakes wet so I don't think he is ready yet. He does however stay in pants during his nap (60-90mins a day) and stays dry then.

2
433 51

Just THINKING about it - when they are 3-6 months old :) They are already learning about the world, so just talk to them about it! Like when you go potty, tell them. And when they go, talk about it, too! So they start to understand. And you can start letting them try it out any time. May sound weird to some people, but that way it's not a foreign idea when you ask them to start doing it that way all the time. If all they ever know is diapers, for some kids it can be confusing when told not to go in the diapers anymore. Did this with my son, just part time (we worked full time).

Then when WE were ready to devote more time to teaching and encouraging him - he was 2 - we got rid of diapers, and switched to undies only (with plastic covers). He took to the potty right away and never had a set back :-)

2
0 8

i started around 20 months when i noticed she was dry at naps and she would pee after every nap but i dfidnt rush it she was out of diapers at 32months

108 76

I always say, potty training needs to be in the hands of the trainee. Don't start potty training until your child is showing interest. You will have a much easier time that way. You may be tired of the diapers and the like, but your little person may not be ready. You can talk about it to gauge your trainees readiness, but don't force it on them. Just as a general guideline some girls are ready earlier than their male counterparts. I've know many girls who were fully trained by 2.5 years old. My son was daytime trained by his 3rd birthday, but every other boy I have trained really settled in just after their 3rd birthdays.
What to look for to know if your child is ready? Look for long periods of dry diapers. If your little one is dry upon waking up from nap time, they could be ready. If your little one is hiding when they need to go, it might be time to start the conversation.

1
9,593 15

Usually between 2 - 2 1/2 is the norm to begin to really start working on potty training. I have done this with all the kids I have trained for the past 20+ years and also with my three and we have never not had one child not potty trained by the time they were 3.

1
40 20

it took 3 attempted starts before my son actual was ready. With each attempted start i was a able to realize if he was really ready.

1st time (22mths) was when he could tell me, but he didn't understand the holding part and dripped a lot, more than had accidents

The 2nd attempt (30mths) was made when he showed signs of holding but when we started it became clear that he didn't understand the release part and got constipated, so we stopped.

The 3rd time (33mths) he showed more signs, so we went shopping one weekend to get supplies to make a sticker chart and stickers and talked about it all week and had a no more nappy's cheer before bed the day before starting. and now he is trained and it took us one week and most of the accident were in the first 3 days.

If you think your child is ready start, over the next 3-5 days you will learn quickly enough if they are ready. just be willing to except there not and give it a break rather than getting dishearten or stressing

my motto is if you have to do loads more laundry are you really saving money with no nappies

1
14 11

my grandson is 11 months old and has used the potty a couple now and is so excited but he seems like he wants to use the potty chair .

1
0 10

My Daughter is 16 months old and uses the potty she is in just pull ups now, but she will not use a kids potty it has to be a real one so she can flush the toilet

1
0 0

I started putting my son on the potty at 18months just before getting in the bath. At first obviously nothing happend and after the first wee we started clapping hand every time he did it which motivated him. It became more often and as soon as he started doing it every night I started trying during the day as well. He is now 20month and potty training is going very well. Try it and see, you will soon know if your child is ready or not. I did the same with my daughter and on 22months she was completely off the nappy.

1
8 8

well for me it's a little bit odd cause i have 7 children the last one is already 2yrs old. i haven't started potty training with him but i want to. All my children they start potty training at 1yr but it's somehow difficult with him. I have tried but then i loose interest. although he does look ready to wear his underwear not a nappy but then he does not go to the toilet if he feels like weeing. I use to tell the older brothers to take him with when they go to do their business so he can see. That's what i use to do with them and lthey learned very quickly. I think i have a soft spot for him. I also think that it's not good to rush a toddler to learn how to potty they must show interest on their own then you can introduce it to them. that way it will be very much easy for you and for your toddler.

1
0 1

i agree i have been potty training my 3year old for about 8 months at first i used to put him on the toilet all the time & he was dry for weeks then i realized hes not asking to go so now i leave him & wait for him to ask & hes had loads of accidents he just dosnt seem to be getting the sensation yet he just dosnt seem ready hopefully it wont be much longer all my other 4 kids were dry by the age of 2

16 0

All children are different - some will take the initiative others will stay in their comfort zone - get some books, videos and see if he/she is ready. Dont force it or it will take longer.

0
3 0

My daughter was potty trained at 20 months but then started finding a corner in my house and peeing in that same spot every time she had to go, so I put her potty seat in that same spot and had her go all day without wearing a pull up on I think she was confused by me putting a pull up on her when we went out and then having her no wear one while in the house so she went backwards. So on her 3rd birthday that is when my daughter became officially potty trained and I am soo happy because I went through the storm and back with my 3 year old girl!

0
18 0

I started putting my son on the potty at 18months.....i try to make games, read lots of stories, ,,,i dowloaded a great app called potty training learning with the animals....my son loved it and help him a lot!

0
10 0

I always start as soon as they can sit. So my girls got used to not messing up on themselves real early. They were both out of diapers by the time they were 18 months. Hope our little boy on the way corporates :)

0
5 0

When she start to wet herself when being a prostitute with her clients, it might affect your income.

0
616 0

When you believe they are mentally and physically ready to start. Its all about reading the cues!

0
87 0

there's all kinds of advise and handy little websites and tools and utilities but, speaking as the mother of three, my advise is not to bother with any of that. potty training - like eating solid food and going to sleep - seriously are things the child can manage quite handily. i get so frustrated when i see parents coming into the bookshop looking for books on potty training their year old/14 mo old/18 mo old/etc baby because i know for a fact that the child will train him/herself with far less trauma all around in his/her own good time if mom just keeps out of it. honestly: there's a reason they don't make "diaper cut" prom suits and dresses!

0
7 5

When your child knows they have went, when they want to be changed. That's when you start because you know that they recognize the feeling. It's a fun but frustrating journey sometimes, but when they take their diaper off lol and give it to you for a new one, then they are ready. :)

0
0 2

2 years

0
60 13

I never pushed any of my kids into potty training..all i do is give them the tools explain how to use them and then let them do it when they are ready... My youngest daughter just turned 3 at the end of April and she decided she was ready a few days after her birthday and came to me and asked for underwear.....she had a few accidents the first few days and now none at all...she is even starting to get up in the middle of the night to go pee pee... they will do it when they are ready usually between the ages of 2- 3 1/2..

0
16 4

We have always used cloth diapers with our kids and they started as a result holding for longer and longer periods of time at night. We also put a small childen's potty chair in the bathroom when they were a little over 12 months old. We let them run naked or in clothes easy to take off when they were at home.

All of them finished at a different age and we are still working with Baby #4 who is 2.5 years old. He uses the toilet almost all of the time and he is dry over night most of the time. They do learn in their own time. We do encourage them when they do well. If they have an accident they help to clean up. They are proud of themselves and there is not pressure.

The oldest any of them have been is right at their 3rd birthday when they were done and the girls were closer to 2.5 years old when they were done. They began around a year or so.

0
8 1

Honestly! it has to be part of their routine what does it hurt to put your kid on the pot before putting on a new diaper. You have to take to old one off anyways. As long as they can sit up of course. Put them on the pot. For boys the air hits it and they go. Praise them teach them that that is where it goes. If you see your child hiding in the corner because they are going to poo put them on the pot. If you see them putting effort into it or showing signs of going stop what you are doing don't watch them crap their pants, put them on the pot. Even if you are too late, they are eventually going to associate the potty with pee and poo. It's just like you have to teach kids to put their toys away. You have to show them a million times. Put the toy in their hands walk them to the toy box and show them how to drop it in. Show them that you dumped their poop from their diaper in the potty and then put their bum on the potty. Keep showing them. Practice. Are you too lazy to stop what you are doing and put them on? You have to take the dirty diaper off anyways. Sooner or later the kid is going to realize that pee and poo go in the toilet. This can all be done without pressure without frustration if it is just part of your daily routine. Even at daycare. Daycares have scheduled potty/diaper times. have them sit on the pot while they change another kids diaper not hard to do.

0
6 0

when he/she reaches the age between 12 to24 months

0
70 8

With my daughter I introduced the potty and 15 months I knew wasn't ready just wanted her to see it and discuss what it is used for. She was trained by 2.5yrs. My oldest son did not like being wet so he would take off all his clothes around 14 months so I got him a potty and he didn't like it. Since he didn't like being wet, I would have my husband take him to the restroom everytime he went by the time he was 2 he was completely trained. My youngest so wanted to be like big brother so he started training around 2yrs and was complete by 2.5yrs. He was the easiet but he has th hardest time with nighttime potty he still has nighttime accidents.
Just watch for signs of readiness and try not to confuse it with laziness because some children are simply lazy.. Also, if you plan on putting your child in preschool then you would have to train them sooner because most oreschools do not potty train.

0
15 27

Give them the opportunity, talk to them read stories, sing songs and so on and just get them comfortable. If there is no sign of them advancing leave it a little and try again but I agree around 2, 2 1/2 years.Good luck to all trying.

0
5 50

I wouldn't want to rush my child into potty training, especially if she's not ready, but at the same time I am going to teach my child and play simple games just to have her aware of it and to make her feel comfortable and not afraid. I don't think its a big issue, but I also think if your baby is 3-4 years old and not potty training than maybe its the parent not committing enough of their time into it not the childs fault at all.

0
321 14

My eldest was about 2 when she stopped wearing nappies, my 2nd daughter was 3. My third is only just 1 year old and I'm not going to worry about it yet. My friends daughter, at 1 & a half years, kept taking her nappy off as she didn't want to wear one so they got a potty to start training her. I do think it really does depend on the child.

0
97 28

I know I am going to be getting my 14 1/2 mo old a potty soon and just let her play around with it so she can start to get the idea of what it is for. She is extremely smart so she should be able to get the concept pretty quickly but I know that it will only be successful if her body is ready as well. I am hoping she will take to it quickly as we have our second child due in April...I have been told that once they have the concept to but them in big kid undies because they aren't absorbent like pull-ups or other diaper type training aids but I know that night time training takes a lot longer than daytime and is even more of if their body is ready.

0
0 1

i start potty train when my girl is 9months old. she did not wear diaper when she is 12months old. luckly, she use to go to toilet when she know to walk (12months old) . it save a lot money to buy diaper. everytime i go to toilet, i will ask my girl want to piss then put her to the potty. after few times, then she will go to piss by herself and when she is 16months she not go for potty, she is ready to sit on the toilet bowl. i personally think parents role model is important. my girl is a pre-mature baby, so i m vy worry about her learning skill. i teach her everything in early stage. even she use to brush her teeth by herself before 13months

0
0 17

We bought a potty for our daughter when she was 1 1/2.Just tointroduce it to her, let her see what it was.She played around on it.A few months after she turned 2 I started sitting her on it like once a week to give her more of a understanding of what it was really for.I know this sounds gross but when I changed her diaper I would show her the potty and then tellher she will be going potty on her potty soon because she was becoming my big girl.On the weekends we would let her run around with no clothes except a shirt and every 15-20 min ask if she had to go potty or watch out for signs,( squatting, sitting in the corner quiet).She loves songs and be praised and high fived, so we would sing pee pee in the potty over and over and give her high fives for going in the potty.After awhile she would just sit on in just to hear the song and get high fives.After a week of watchin her she started to go on her own, less accidents.If we went on car rides she wore a diaper out for awhile,if it was a short ride we tried underwear untill she was use to wearing them.It took all of a month to get her completly use to going potty on her own.There were some accidents I carried a change of clothesjust in case.Limited how much she dranked while we were out.We didnt use pull ups so at night go potty b4 bed and I would take her to the bathroom in the middle of the night she still b half sleep but she would go and there would b no bed wetting.Now she just turned 3 and she is completly potty independent.It takes alot of patiance ALOT OF PATIANCE but it can be done.

0
3 32

Looks like all you guys are on the right track. Have fun and stay positive. Check out The Potty Training Express website. It is absolutely amazing. People in my playgroups are talking about it and say it took some of them only 2 days to fully potty train....some 3 to 4 days. Wow....i am going to try this method in a few months when my daughter is 18 months.
All the best and Good Luck

0
0 2

I started my son as soon as he turned one and was walking. I put a potty where he played and let him run around naked. It was stress free for me and him because I didn't make him go I simply introduced it to him. This took a year and it was in the house, never in public. One day in public he told me he had to pee that's when I knew he was ready for out side training. I only had to buy one bag of pullups that lasted me 3mths. At 24months he is Potty trained, even at night!! Yes I had a lot of wet floors but in the end I had one accident in public, because I taught him in doors first and it wasn't manditory that he go...

0