When should kids know how to spell their names?

The first word children usually learn to spell is their own name. When should kids know how to spell their own names?

1 19

I believe it depends on the child...I have 4 children and they all learned to spell their names at different ages, some before learning the ABC's and some after but it does also depend on the length of the name and how it's spelled....

12
0 6

i taught my 3 year old when he had just turned 2. his name is 5 letters so i put it into a song and he was able to remember it within a few days. i changed the words of the song "there was a farmer had a dog and bingo was his name-o, b i n g o" to " there was a mummy had a son and jamie was his name-o, j a m i e"
also he was very interested to join in while i was on the computer so i let him push the letters on the keyboard for me and by about 2 and a half he was able to find any letter for me on his own. now i tell him to type the letters and ask him what word he has typed, simple words that he relates to ie. mummy daddy nanny grandad etc. if you are prepared to put in the time i think most kids are eager to learn and pick it up really quickly

7
0 5

I loved this idea. I never taught about replacing other words into a song. Very creatived.

2 32

My daughter will turn 4 next month and has been able to spell her name for almost a year. Her daddy taught her to spell it by chanting it: "T-A-R-Y-N, that spells . . . Taryn!" And she was able to recite it before she knew what she was saying, before she had a full grasp on the entire alphabet. She can't write her entire name just yet (her fine motor skills aren't quite developed), but she signs her name with a capital 'T.'

6
27 18

That is a lovely name you gave your daughter. Taryn has a very earthy mellow sound to it. My boys have unique names as well and learned how to spell them by the age of 3. My youngest son Quinian has to write out his first name in full on his papers in K and he could say it at 3. My other two are Donathon and Maxton. Meg

0 17

I think it varies greatly depending on the child. My oldest who is now 12 didn't learn until he was 6. And he was in preschool and kindergarten. He had 0 interest and nothing anyone did could get it to click with him. He is now at the top his 7th grade and in all advanced classes and took the ACT's with the seniors this past December. My middle child is 4 and has known is letters by site (not the song) and how to spell his name for well over a year now. My youngest is 3 and has no interest in letters and spelling.

5
13 27

It depends on how important you feel it is. I know we have decided to educate our daughter at a school that does not teach reading or writing until most children are 6 or 7. Therefore, I'm not too worried about when she learns. She taught her self the capital letters and knows her numbers, but doesn't always get them in the right order. Again, with our education choice, I'm not worried about it. I know when she is ready she will learn it all quickly.

4
0 17

My oldest (who is 12 now) was in preschool and kindergarten where they did teach letters and spelling. He had 0 interest though. When he entered 1st grade he still didn't know his letters. When the interest kicked in though he learned super fast. Which was around the age of 6 - 7. Now he is in the 7th grade and at the top of his grade. He has already taken the ACT's with seniors from high school. I find it very interesting that the school you are sending your daughter doesn't even start until the kids are 6-7. That would of been a lot less stressful to my son. Wish there was a school around me that did it the same way. I think that is such a great approach :) (P.S they labeled my son learning disabled in the 1st grade. Now he is in all Advanced classes in the 7th grade)

0 6

I have a 18yr and 4 yr old both of them knew how to spell thier name and thier alphabets by the age 2 1/2. because we've always song it to them.

3
19 15

Cristy has been spelling her name since age 3.5.... She would sit in front of the laptop, and we will show her on an empty Word document C R I S T Y
and she will sit their for hours typing her name the page full.
For the last couple of months she's been writing her name and surname on everything! She's also recognizing words that "looks like her name" starting with C or ending with Y....

2
0 4

That is such a fun idea to use an empty Word document! Thanks for the great tip :)

29 12

My daughter just turned 4 and can not spell her name yet. She wasn't interested in letters at all until a few months ago, after we found out she needed glasses. She had 20/160 vision & we had no idea there was something wrong. Since getting the glasses, she's finally interested in learing letters and spelling. Just something to consider. Better to find out early if there is a vision problem.

2
13 141

my son who is 3 know's how to spell and write his first and last name already

2
0 0

My daughter has 11 letters in her name and she learnt to spell it since 23 months.

0
123 3

The preschool taught my girl when she's about 2.5 year old, she's working on her last name now.. then she'd have to work on her chinese characters.

Mei of EczemaBlues.com

0
1

I did the same song way of learning . S.a.r.i.y.a.h Sariyah Sariyah Jackson ... she's 2 and learned it fast.

0
33 0

It's fun when it's the first word they can spell, so as soon as they are interested in writing and reading, teach them how to spell their own name.

0
87 4

Talk to them all day long as soon as you bring them home! Show them things, colors; explain everything and they will be enthralled! Before you know it, they will be speaking! As soon as they can speak, teach them important facts like ABC's and 123's, facial parts (even things like brows, lashes, dimples...don't overlook a thing), etc. If they are taught to look at details, they will always examine details. Sing children's songs/nursery rhymes repetitively and they will repeat! Begin spelling their name as soon as you see they can repeat anything!! They can and will do it. They more time you spend with your child, the greater the return! Never stop. (My favorite thing is when kids think LMNOP is 1 letter...LOL)

0
0 0

0
0 8

my 4 yr old learnt to spell his name at the age of 3yrs old he can now spell his brother name which is rueben an mummy an daddy

0
0 32

My first daughter who is now five has known how to spell her name since she was three only because I was a first-time mom wanting to be on top of things AND Ella has always expressed a lot of interest in learning. She has an easy name to learn anyway. My other daughter who has been three since December can spell her name with help, but since I was a cheerleader in school, we spell out her name "cheerleader style" so she can remember how to spell it. She doesn't show as much interest in learning her name as much as sister did. Plus #2 is named Natalie and it is a bit harder to get. Each child is different and for those who have had their child comprehensively spelling their name at age two ~ kuddos; however, it always ends up clicking for those who wait till a little older.

0
0 32

As I look through the other posts and comments and seeing what the question for this all is...it is about spelling. Ella has been spelling and writing her name since the age of three. Natalie, like stated above, can also do both with some assistance.

0 10

My daughter is four years old she can write her whole name and some words for about six months now!

0
0 1

My daughter learned to spell her name when she was almost two. By 2.5 she was writing it.

0
0 3

My son turned 4 in November, he attends a preschool twice a week. He can not only spell his first name, but write it as well. I think it all depends on the development of the child and the resources available to you. Unfortunately in today's time and age, they have to be able to do this and much more before they even start kindergarden now. Don' t push it if they are not picking it up right away, but do keep at it. They will get it. Little ones are eager to learn and will absolutely amaze you at what they retain.

0
1 0

my son learned to spell his name a few months before he turned 2!!!! my mom spelled it for him a few times and then he had it (it's only 5 letters), shortly after he knew his abc's and to count to ten..... he's 3 1/2 and now knows to spell and write his first and last name (he wants to know how to spell everything now) among a few other words and can count to 100!!!! #proudmommymoment#.... but in all honesty it varies on the child

0
0 20

It depends on the child I think. My daughter was 2.

0
0 0

My oldest with nine letters in her name took longer than the other kids with shorter names. My current 4 year old has only 3 letters and can verbally spell his name already and I am sure he will learn how to write it quickly. Depends on the kid and depends on the name.

0
0 8

My son is in public 4k and they have him writing his first and last name and he chooses to write his middle name also. They have some 3 year olds that went to speach therapy in his class also and they have them trace there names after they write it for them on paper. They do this in the begining of class and write in on homework but only for about as long as it takes to write it then it is done and on to the next thing so they don't feel pressured.

0
71 28

It's different for every kid. My daughter learned to spell her name at 2, but then she was also able to recognize all of the letters of the alphabet before her 2nd birthday. She just loves letters in the same way that other kids love animals. I used a chant to teach it to her: In a sing-song voice, I would say I-S-A-B-E-L-L-E. (clap!) That spells Isabelle! (clap!) That spells Isabelle! (clap!). She turned three a few months ago and loves to identify her name, as well as her little brother's name, everywhere we go. She stared at his monogrammed towel in the bathroom and learned to spell his name that way, creating a chant just like the one I'd created.

I said all of that, but I really don't think it's wise to push things on our kids. If they're interested in something like letters or numbers, run with it. If they're not, then let them progress in their own time.

0
7 22

My Daughter is 3, she turns 4 in June and since around last September (2011) she's known how to spell and write her own name, Luna, in addition to: mama, mami, mom, papa, papi, dad, and Dia (her baby sister's name - she was born this past Nov.)

0
32 4

My eldest could write and spell her name at just turned 3. My youngest is now 3 1/2 and he can write his first name and most of his surname. His nursery (kindergarten) print the names out in large letters with green dots for where to start with the pen. They laminate them and the kids write over them everyday when they first get in to nursery with a whiteboard pen. They start with just the first letter of their name then as they become more confident they build up. It works really well, my boy now likes to write his name independently underneath the printed version :-)

0
5 28

Both mine could write and spell their names by age 4 we encouraged them everyday as soon as they showed interest in learning. They also picked their name tags out at school from age 3. Both my kids got a real sense of achievement from it and I always remind them how hard it was to learn to do it initially and how easy it is now and that is the same for most things, practice and you will learn it.

0
33 2

My eldest learned how to spell her name verbally at 2 and write it at 4 but her name is easy Sophie.

My youngest Anabelle has a much longer name. She learned to sing the ABC's at 2 in French and English, so I realized she could learn song lyrics so I made a song with the letters of her name and she started singing that just before she turned 3. She can write her A but that is it. She has much less patience than the older one who loved doing work books and the younger one is still learning to grip the pencil well. Just in the past few days I noticed when we sat down to draw I did not have to correct her grip; however, her markings are still very light on the paper so he is having pressure issues.

0
5 24

my daughter knew at about 2 years we made a game out of it and my son jacob knew at about 3

0
13 22

My daughter is 3 and can spell her name which is 8 letters ( Julianna). When she was two we got her one of the leapfrog pals and you can program them to say the kids name and it comes up with a chant. I think it depends on the child first and them how you teach them. Normally fun songs work.

0
0 0

Mine could spell his name which had 7 letters at age 3 years, of course we had a year of practice prior to the bid day spent on individual alphabets/ letters and numbers. We made it fun, singing the letters and coloring them to make I am badges, Example color a sign with "I am name" and let him where it around his neck on a cord. Or color a "This room is name's."
and hang it on the outer door of his/her room. The only letters that get color are the name.
But first comes letters and letter recognition. I was teaching ABCs and 123s before he was even 1 in a playful way. By two we were doing letter recognition in the alphabet and allowing him to name the letter and color it. Most important is the praise given when he get the lletter right and I would pin the letter on him to let others see his accomplishment so he would get that positive reinforcement from others too.

0
6 5

My daughter was not grasping her ABC's, and I realized she has more of a kinesthetic approach to learning. She also does better when she is doing rather than seeing or being told. This summer has been completely dedicated to her name. We started one letter at a time and within a month or two she was writing her first name (McKenzie). She can write and identify the letters. We have just finished her last name as well. I started with all caps. I will continue until she knows all her ABC's by sight and being able to write them. Children learn differently and at different paces. Make it fun for them, and make it routine. EVERY night she writes her name a few times before bed. She LOVES it and she LOVES the praise she gets from us! She will be 4 next month and I am so proud, but annoyed because she misses the school cut-off. She won't start preschool for one more year, and two more years until kindergarten :(

0
1 3

every child r diff so its depend his or her age my daughter is 3.5 yrs old she knows abc by sound n sights....n numers she knows by oral 70 to 80 nby sights till 30....and now she started writing ato z alphabets which has sleeping n standing lines like A,H.I.O.T,E,F,K,X,V,N,C N OTHER IS TRYING....

0
41 75

My son was 3, but in saying that I didn't start to teach him until he was three as I didn't think he would grasp the concept of spelling his name until then.

0
12 20

My son is 5 and only just learning to write his own name. He doesn't know the alphabet is full yet but as I watch him write his name he says the letter names out loud. J. O. N. A. T. H. A. N... I haven't had much luck teaching him things like the alphabet or writing his name. He gets in a big huff and just doesn't want to do it. Since he has started kinda it has been a different story and he loves to write his name and learn the next letter in the alphabet. So It really does depend on the child and his/her way of learning. All children are diferent.

0
79 8

my daughter, learned while potty training and was 23 months when she learned both, she is now 3 and knows her abc's

0
1 13

it depends on the child. but ,last june my daughter was 4. and she can write and spell her 6 letter name exactly when she turned 4. well, you can start by recognizing their name. write her name everywhere. on her book, color, her stuffs. and of course once they learned ABC's. i would like to share something here.. thanks GOD now she can read some books and we started seriously when she was 3. pick up one of her fav and the simplest story book. and read together almost everyday with different style. then, she will recognize some words. do it with love.. hug or kiss her when she did well. then your child will love the reading time and start to show interest in reading.

0
50 10

usually between 3 and 4 is typical i think. especially if preschool is involved, that was one of the very first things they started working on when my daughter started.

0
3 6

I agree with everyone else it depends on the length of the name and if they know their abc's my oldest learned when he was 4 and I'm working on my youngest son

0