When should you start your baby on water?

Newborn babies don't need water since they're getting all their liquids and nutrients from breast milk or formula. When is it time to start introducing your baby to water?

2 0

At 6 months. This coincides with the introduction of solids. Soon after turning 6 months, my daughter was eating 3 meals a day, accompanied by water in a sippy cup (in addition to breastmilk throughout the day). At that point she usually drank no more than 3 oz. of water with each meal (she regulated the intake). The water was helpful in keeping her from getting constipated, which happens to babies, especially breastfed babies, when they first start solids.

8
4 0

I honestly gave my son water when he was like 3 or 4 weeks old just a little bit esp if he was hungry right after a big bottle. He turned out just fine and LOVES water, He dont drink any juice at all, which I might add Im very proud of lol lol

4
4 28

Way to go Mom.....

68 0

I don't think it is too soon to start a child on water everything needs water . A small amount is all you need to give a small child they generally don't like it but it is easier to tolerate if you start when they are small . My sister in law called when her daughter was a bout two weeks old her child was constipated what to do ? Water was the answer . And it worked . Her child also breast fed It is my opion every thing needs water and a small amout wont hurt it will help .

4
15 1

my daughter takes lil sips here and there out of gammes cup but her pediatrician just gave her flouride drops if we were continue too give her water but i dont think i will not until she's 1

78 33

i started all 3 of mine at just a few weeks old. i didn't breastfeed so they were ok with the bottle. an oz or two a few times a day isn't gonna poisen them. they need to aquire the taste for water. my neices and nephew don't like water and won't drink it cause they weren't given water as a baby. they are all over a year, one is 4 and he still won't drink water. my kids all drink milk and water without fits. why would milk quench a babies thirst? it doesn't quench mine, it makes me more thirsty.

4
4 28

I soooooo agree with you. I also gave all 3 of mine water at a few weeks old. I too have nieces & nephews & friends children that won't drink water either. It sure made it easier also when we were somewhere and we needed something to tide the child over or just when ever. Milk does not quench my thirst either especially if it is HOT. Water is good for you and it is good for your baby as well. I say YEAHHHHHH WATER!!!!!

16 17

I started my youngest on water at about 3 months, as she was a summer baby and the weather was hot, I just gave her a little sip of water out of her baby bottle right before giving her her formula (daytime feeds mostly). She really loves her water today and i'm so grateful for that, as sometimes it can be very difficult to get children to drink water especially if there are other sweet tempting drinks available!

3
4 28

I second this. Although I think you start them taking water as early as 3-4 weeks. My boys love their water to this day and they are adults. They are not soda drinkers, water, tea & gatorade when they are working out or doing sports.

6 49

they said at six months but my baby was three weeks when i gave her an oz of water it was do to the fact it was 101degrees outside and the milk wouldve soured on her stomach

3
102 14

I was told to give my baby 1 oz per month old. So if your baby is 4 months old, limit her water intake to only 4oz per day. You really need to give your child water, especially in the summer heat. If you are thirsty, then your baby is thirsty too. Crawling, scooting about, and rolling is a workout for your child. Offer water throughout the day, not only at meal time.

3
4 28

4 oz is not much water especially if your baby is as you say crawling, scooting, or rolling over like you say this is a work out. I don't think you can give your baby to much water, my 3 boys now ages 32, 29 & 27 were started on water at 2-3 weeks old, if it was not time for a feeding and they were thirsty that got some water, like you say if you are thirsty most likely they may be also, so trying a little water is a good thing and if they are thirsty they will take it. My Doctor said if you waited many times they would not want to take the water if they were just thirsty they would want their milk and giving them the milk because they were just thirsty and not time to really eat could put more weight on the child and would cause the start of over eating, to much weight gain and could easily start childhood obeastity. Today my BOYS are not soda drinkers they love WATER and will drink water or tea daily.

119 63

My doctor said that they should start drinking water at 1 year. A baby's body is growing and needs as many calories as possible... so stick with the formula/breastmilk until then. :)

2
3 0

I totally agree! My son's doctor said the same thing.

3 7

Like it has been said, things change. I gave our babies water when they were thirsty between feedings. I know my mother did the same with her children, and her mom, etc. Our kids are all in their 30's now. I don't believe any have given their babies water until a few months old except our youngest 2 grandsons have had water less then 2 months. Personally I don't believe it will hurt them, but that is just my opinion.

2
4 28

I agree with you Libby.

8 19

WIC says to start giving baby 4-5 oz per day of water when you start introducing solids.

2
30 53

Babies can actually be POISONED by too much water. Water intoxication can actually cause SEIZURES in infants, and could also lead to death. There is no need to give them any water at all before 6-ish months, even if it is hot out. Breast milk and Formula will hydrate them just fine. Babies 4-6 months shouldn't have any more that 2 ounces in 24 hours, and should only be offered with any solids you are feeding them. Water is not a replacement for a feeding.

1
4 28

NO WATER is NOT a REPLACEMENT for FEEDING. But tell me, if your child is one that takes formula and is fed every 2-3 hours, what other than WATER do you MIX it with???? Then would that not also be the same thing as what your saying then your child is getting TO much water then why would that not do the same thing POISON them cause SEIZURES or DEATH I don't think that makes much sense.

61 9

My mother and husbands mother and both grandmothers DO say to start introducing water (boiled then cooled but not cold) as young as 3 months of age.

1
3 34

Breastfed babies don't require it at all, however when solids are introduced it might also be beneficial to give some water in a sippy cup. I think juice is given far too early these days and much prefer only milk or water be given to children. Formula fed babies may need more hydration particularly over summer months in hot locations, but cooled boiled water is always suggested for babies less than 1.

1
111 36

They change what is best for kids all the time. My grandmother had the hardest time when her great-grand-kids were born because it almost felt like abuse not to give them water. (which was one of the things she and everyone in her generation did with their kids) I did give my daughter plain water a couple of times (once at 6 weeks). We were out and about and it was really hot and I was concerned about her having enough fluids. I also gave her water when she ran a fever. Otherwise I stayed with breastmilk and formula until she was old enough to start learning how to use a sippy cup. I don't know the pro's and con's of water early but I don't think having it occasionally to help prevent dehydration is a bad thing. I did use bottled water until she was 8 months. Our water is really good here, but since they are required to put some chemicals in it, I decided she was to young for it.

1
7 14

I think it really depends on the child and their diet... My husband still does not want me to give our daughter (who turns one in a week!) water, he prefers she drink milk. They will get a lot of liquid from the food that they eat as well so it really is not a huge deal for them to be drinking at all especially while they are still nursing or bottle feeding. I just give her her cup when she is in her high chair and always bring one with us while we are out (with diluted juice in it) in case she gets hungry/thirsty and it's not a good place for us to stop and eat/nurse. I think that the decision is really up to the parent and should definitely be discussed with your ped if you are worried.

1
294 0

my brother and his wife never gave their kids water and as far as I know still don't much they drink juice and milk or flavored milk all the time, and they r 4 and 5 years , now I gave my son water throughout 1 month to now age 9years and he is good but he still gags like he did when he was a baby i really only gave he water when he had a tummy ace or the hikups i would put a hard mint in a bottle of warm water 1oz and took it out when it had a taste of mint it helps them a lot

12 16

Started all three of mine on day one. Starting out with just a nipple full after each feeding and increased as they got older. My youngest is 10 so by 6 months old a 4 ounce bottle of water daily was good. I was not big on juice so i just gace water in place of, by time they drank juice that too was watered down. Mine did not get juice until one year old. And each one prefer water over pop or juice.

0
294 0

i think 6 months is good BUT if your baby has a tummy ace a little water and a mint helps a lot

0
22 4

I say six months is good, because babies do get all there nutrients from breastmilk and/or formula. With alll the the baby food babies will not be as thirsty , remember fruits and veggies carry portions of water in them. So a little bit of water will not hurt.

0
33 3

It really scares me reading some of these. First and foremost u should always talk to your BABY's doctor! A lot of moms on here are saying well kids need water n u are correct kids! The question is on baby's! Water intoxication seems to be something moms forget when they leave the hospital. There is a reason only breast milk or formula is stated, it's not just because doctors don't want you trying to feed them solids to soon, or juices! But water intoxication is a huge scare! In some cases it's parents that are just trying to make their dollar stretch so instead on one scoop of formula for every two ounces of water they try to do one scoop for 4 or 6 ounces of water! Babies will fill up on water n then not get the nutrients they need! N there fore get deadly sick n could even die! I don't think this is talked about enough! Yes when they start eating foods start giving small amounts of water. Someone made the comment they gave the baby water within the first few weeks because it was hot n milk will spoil! Ok well first off a bottle of milk is Only good for 1 hour once u make it unless its refridgarated. N it can only be stored in fridge for 24 hours (something I also don't think gets talked about enough!) but if the bottle has been drank from you can not then put it in fridge it's no good in that hour also! A few things Ive done! Now a grandma if u are afraid it will go back only make half a bottle, then make the other half! Water don't go bad in your diaper bag or cooler, n your powdered formula don't either so there is no reason to say u opt to give something that can harm the baby because u fear the milk will spoil! Other things about this u wouldn't give them juice or soda so why would u give them water? When it can harm them. Out of all the new moms I have talked to recently none of them even knew the reason why you are not suppose to give your baby water, n never looked up the reason before offering it to the baby! Now when they are old enough I hope we can all have them drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day or what there age of body required because then water is best!
I have a son that was born with kidney issues n I thought for sure they would want him to have water as a baby, but no strictly breast milk n formula. He was a premi so I had to sumplement n evenly lost the ability to produce because he was in hospital for so long he never got to fully breast feed! That's where n how n why I learned some of this n now as a new grandma I am getting refreshed n it seems there is a lot more moms that arnt told, don't understand or whatever but they are giving baby water to early. Now do I think if u once a week give your baby a sip of water your a bad mOm, heck no! I just think moms don't get enough info, or they get to much and ate on over load. Just like right now in my family I am struggling with my son n his wife who swear there doc said it was ok for there 8mo th old to be facing forward in a car seat! Even though it's incorrect I can't get accords to them because there isn't a place for moms to go get this info!
So mommys just like anything else look into why your doctor recommends not to give your babys water! Once you read up on it, you will be making sure you are even measuring your formula exactly right just to be sure it's not to watery! Being a mommy isn't easy but it's the best reward, until you get to be a grandma n then your in heaven! God bless

0
294 0

yeah i know about some of the don't give the baby water , i did it a few time just because of tummy aces and hickups lol with a little mint and they would go away but it wasn't anything near what they all say i have a health 9 year old and i am now 18 weeks

2 0

I started giving my daughter water when she was about 4 months old as well.

0
14 31

Breast milk is 80% water and has everything your baby needs. So even when it's hot out, just offer the breast more often! There is no need to offer other liquids before 6 months

0
4 0

I try to give my 9 month old water but he wont take it , I just now got him to drink breast milk from a bottle which he does not do very often, any suggestions on how to get him to hold and drink from a cup or bottle? maybe he will do it when he is ready??

0
4 28

I think you waited to long and now you will have difficulties till he wants to, good luck.

1 0

She was quiete little when i gave her the First sips of water. She was either ill with raised temp or in Hot weather.

0
26 4

you breastfeed exclusively for six months then you start introducing solids to the babys diet in which the baby will need water. if you were not breastfeeding exclusively or not at all since birth then you should give baby water from since then.

0
1,890 18

I think when you introduce solids (around 6 months) you can also introduce a sippy cup with water. Before they start solids they do not need water for hydration as they are already on an all liquid diet.

0
31 0

i think when solid food start

0
63 14

gave my son cool boiled water from 1 month old, he was a summer baby and i knew he would get dehydrated. i dont beleive milk is enough BUT everyone has their opinions on their own child and raises them how they see fit.
i also gave my son water inbetween meals because he was a greedy little bugger and demanded milk all the time, he wasnt hungry as i found out, he liked sucking on the bottle

0
321 14

I started giving my daughter water at about 6 months but never in a bottle, always in a cup. This made it so much easier to stop her using bottles to drink from too.

0
528 0

I did not start my son on water until he was a year. Before that, I gave him a tiny bit of water in cups, just to practice, but it was all breast milk. Then at a year, he had breast milk, whole milk and started him on water.

0
15 1

i agree with you jeanette my daughter gets lil sips of water cause shes everyone around her drinkin water but we give her flouride drops but i dont think ill give her more than a cup until shes one years old

1 3

six monthes

0
311 26

It depends on age, and whether he/she is being breastfed/formula fed or moved to solids. If he/she is being breastfed or formula fed I would not worry too much about water. If he/she is eating solids then that's the time to introduce.

0
15 1

my daughter has had sips here and there of water but i don't think i'll give her oz until she's 2

0
11 17

I started giving my girls water at six months. I started them off on a two once bottle and gradually worked my way up with them

0
1 12

6 months

0
3,053 42

From when you start solids =)

0
188 5

6 months.

0
0 0

I just started Giving Mikie water at 10 months, he is 11 months old now, because we live in Fla. I Feel that they need it. Also he has stopped taking a lot of formula and has wanted a cup more. He gets his 6 oz.'s at bedtime,and then 6oz's at nap then throughout the day he takes a sippy with only water Or formula, He eats very well so he gets plenty of liquids thru that as well, I always boil and cool even the nursery waters.

0
294 0

yeah did you know most doctor will say no bottles after 10 months? mine did i was shocked and did you know to prevent bottle rot teeth you should never give a baby a bottle and put them to bed with it, people i knew thought i was a freak, but you know my son is 9y now and he has NEVER had a problem with his teeth not even a cavity

51 58

6 months, that's when I did but only with meals

0
10 45

My daughter turned 4mos old a few days ago and i started her on solid following Doctors suggestion. inorder for her not to get constipated i give her water (about 2-3oz) after her meal, she enjoys drinking water.

0
83 10

my daughter is 4 months old and she drinks a couple oz's of water a day. we started her on water a month ago since it has been very hot where we live. she loves it and she is perfectly healthy :) only cooled boiled water.

0