When should you stop heating your child's bottle?

Most babies prefer to drink warm milk or formula, but when can you stop spending the extra time to heat it up?

19 1

I never warmed my sons bottles. He got room temp bottles. The rare occasion that they were cold, I would warm until maybe 6mos or so.

8
0 0

exactly what i did. didnt want her to get used to the warm milk because i knew that she would want it that way every time! so glad i didnt warm them! unless they just came out of the fridge of course

3 45

I have always heated my daughter's formula up as I was taught in the hospital. There have been study's that have shown if you don't prepare formula correctly you can harm your baby. But when it comes to cow's milk I take my cue from them.

3
19 1

Preparing properly means ratio of water to formula. It has nothing to do with the temperature... Also, the hospital taught you to heat it up? My hospital just gives you a bottle at room temp...

103 88

When you stop giving them a bottle, I think it's more soothing, especially when they are little, if it's heated up. I would suggest though that every once in a while you give them a bottle that is not heated up that way when you are in a pinch you know they will take it. Like I said, I always heated their bottles up which was a problem when I was on a plane and my daughter wanted a bottle and there was no way to heat it up. She eventually took it but not until she cried for about 20 minutes (which on a plane is embarassing and feels like forever). This is just what worked for me and it's just a suggestion. Everyone has their own opinions and views and you have to do what is right for you and your kids. : - )

2
12 20

My family always told me to heat my bottles "It kills the germs or something that babies cant handle" But when I put my bab onto cows milk around 13months, depending on the weather i would or wouldn't heat them. He is now 22months old and I still warm his drink sometimes. Like when he has a cold or something. :-D

2
11 3

It depends on the time and weather. I heat my kids milk in the morning and not at noon or when the weather is cold. At times my three yr old request for her milk to be warm. I think u warm it until they figure out whether they want it warm or cold.

2
2 15

I think as long as it is prepared properly to begin with there shouldn't be a problem. The latest info I have is that bottles should be prepared 1/2 an hour after the water has boiled, this keeps the good stuff in the formula and gets rid of the bad stuff (be advised that the formula will be far too hot for baby at this point). after this preparation the formula should be safe to give cold - if that's what your baby prefers. My first drank it cold and preferred it that way but my second prefers it warmish.

2
0 8

I never heated up bottles

1
103 6

I usually just used warm tap water, unless the bottles were refidgerated ahead of time..then i would warm up water in a mug then let the bottle warm up in that water for 5-10 mins

1
0 4

I too used warm tap water to warm bottles, but not for making the drink.Warm tap water shouldn't be used to make formula or food at all, because it has higher amounts of lead in it v.s. cold tap water, and should never be used to even boil pasta in.I didn't know this until recently when I read a handout from my child's Head Start. Thankfully I always boiled water and cooled it before making formula or cereals- mostly because of our city water having high amounts of lead and other impurities, and I filtered it as well. Just an interesting fact I thought I would share with you! :)

3,053 42

My son never had his bottles warmed and self-weaned from them at 12 months so definately a personal choice =)

1
0 0

First of all this should be called circle of moms and dads. The answer to the question is long time ago. after 4 months dode deal

1
0 4

I know, right?! Kinda biased name for this site...So are Dad's allowed or what??? LOL...I have SO much respect for Dad's who REALLY do care and actually DO something to help care for their babies! Bless You, Sir! :)

13 19

I fed my daughter with room temp. formula after I stopped breastfeeding. She seemed to like it just fine. If I had to refrigerate the formula, I did have a bottle warmer I used to knock off the chill.

1
14 15

I always warm up my kids food. Especially milk or formula. It's because I always give them baby cereal with it, they never drank straight milk or formula only. So when it's cold it gets chunky. But that also applies to basic meals. The only thing that works when its cold it's drinks, in this case only water.

1
6 156

WOW!! that's an interesting question. I guess I never had any issues or even thought about this really. I always fed my babies as I like to eat myself, and still do so with my older kids. I too have a water dispenser that has 5 gallon jugs on top and hot/cold options. I make his bottles warm only because the formula clots and doesnt mix right in cold water and plugs the nipple, but if he doesnt want the bottle when I think he would or doesnt finish it goes into the fridge and he drinks it cold as well. gerber fruits he prefers colder and veggies room temp or warm. I guess my answer would be to feed the babies as thye wish, some like their bottle at a certain temp only, others warmer/hot, others cooler/cold. Mommy's, just listen to your baby, you know what you're doing, you're MOM!!

1
0 4

I thought I might share a couple of facts with you- that once baby has already drank off of a bottle, or eaten part of food, it should never be put into the refrigerator, and then re-used, because bacteria from baby's mouth gets into the bottle, and grows. By putting it into the fridge, after being eaten on, it is a breeding ground for the bacteria to multiply. This can cause ear infections, mouth infections(including early tooth decay), even yeast infections. Adults can tolerate this bacteria for the most part, but kids under 2 are still building their immune systems, and are more vulnerable to these types of bacteria and infections. I always made a half bottle at the most, so as to avoid wasting expensive formulas....and with baby foods, I always mixed up a small amount in a bowl to feed him out of because my son rarely would eat the whole jar at once; then the jar isn't eaten out of and can be used to store the extra food. I hope you aren't offended by any of this, I'm just bringing a little awareness to light F.Y.I. ;)

0 0

The first time my daughter had a cold bottle was after one of our baby n mom swimming classes. She was ready for her nap, and she wanted it!she was about a yearand a half old, and I told her, 'it's cold honey' as we had just stepped out of the pool, and i had no where to heatit up. she didn't care! She drank it anyway. She still at 14 remembers drinking cold milk that day :) I think when the baby over a year or so, doesn't care if it's cold now and then, you are probably fine. Let the child and the situationand good motherly instincts guide u :)

0
448 0

When they don't like it that way anymore.. one day my daughter gave the bottle back to me yelling at me, so I made it cold and she drank it. But she was older.. being younger, she only drank warm "NAP" is what she calls it now (she's 25mths old).

0
2 0

i think the bottle should be warmed, my daughter does nt like it when its cold, and because they get to drink it mostly when they are hungry so i think its just have to be warm. no other way. mums if ur staying with ur kid just make sure u warm ur child`s bottle, unless the child has to go to creche!

0
247 51

I think at 13 months juice should already be given in a cup (should start in a cup, never a bottle to avoid having to un-teach 2 things!)
Then at 13 months stop warming the milk/formula and slowly switch to a cup. by 15 months, no bottle, not warm and fluids shouldn't be required to put babies to sleep ie: bottle before bed etc. a warm cup of milk is okay before bedtime but not necessary for naps etc

0
12 0

ive always warmed bottles till they where weened off the bottle too worried about giving them tummy aches :/ but no plenty of mum that dont warm bottles

0
84 39

I always warm my sons bottles he won't drink it cold and he won't drink juice so at least he's getting fluids, he's a real milk monster.

0
54 1

I've heated up my kids bottles up until they were a year old.

0
0 10

Not sure how this fits but... my 14mo old won't take even a luke warm bottle! He borders on burning his mouth but won't take it any other way. We've tried doing room temp but he refuses it. He'll drink milk, juice & water from a sippy cup. He still naps twice a day so, I've been learning from his cues. As soon as he transitions to 1 nap a day(coming)...we'll cut out the bottles. Before I get heavy judge:)... We had a horrible time feeding in the beginning. He didn't eat proper until about 6mo's and then started gaining weight. I think it's me that still wants/ needs the bonding from him. So, for now he has bottles still. I'm just really shocked on the HOT temp of them??

0
3 5

i never warmed my daughters she wouldnt take it warm. even when i breast fed i had to pump and put it in the fridge

0
321 14

I warmed my baby's bottles every time as she preferred them warm, and I did so up until she stopped drinking from a bottle - she only ever had formula in a bottle. Now she is 13 months has normal cows milk in a cup and prefers it poured cold, straight from the fridge. She doesn't use bottles at all anymore.

0
9 14

I never gave my Son warm bottles. They were always room temperature, as he got older though he preferred them right out of the refrigerator. No sense in starting them on warm bottles, it is just an extra thing to do in the middle of the night and when you are out it is not always going to be easy to warm up a bottle when they are hungry!

0
68 0

About a year when you can stop sterilizing bottles and put on whole milk . A lot of changes can take place a bout a year old .

0
6 21

I warm up my daughters milk. If you think about it though a baby is going to accept...in most cases...whatever the parents give them. In turn it isn't what does baby prefer but what we as parents give them.
As for the comments that question the name of the sight:
This is simply one ' blog' that is out there for mothers to give each other insight on what they do with their children. There are other sites that are geared more towards fathers. I simply think that if the name really bothers someone then the solution is quiet simple...don't be a part of this particular site.
Do not think I have anything against men/fathers giving insight on here because my husband is a wonderful father and is amazing with all he does with our daughter...he is a stay at home dad. I am just simply stating that if a name really bothers someone so much...dont be a part of this discussion. I would think it would be great if you started your own and call it circle of dads. I know my husband would probably love that! (well if he is technically commenting on a post it would be a football site or something...lol)
Anyways, thank you to all that gives feedback as I know it feels good to take a break from your precious angel (s) and giving some good advise!
Have a wonderful day everyone!

0
7 7

I did what the hospital said, just because i was 29 and first baby and not many babies in my life before that, they say sterilize and heat to room temperature for first 3 months then you do not have to sterilize. So after 3 months hubby and i just kept room temperature except for teething. Also though my daughter didn't eat any hot baby food until she was on our real food, i didn't want to take chance of burning her and wanted her to get used to all tastes and some food doesn't taste as good cold as it does hot. Now she is 22m and not a picky eater at all

0
311 26

I stopped about a month old. I'd give him cold bottles too.

0
8 6

If I was in a hurry they got a room temp bottle but I never gave them a cold bottle.

0
0 4

I only warmed the milk for my son if he was unusually cranky, or sick and needed a lil' extra help falling asleep. Mostly because milk sours so quickly(and he was a SLOW nurser)and because, like others have said, I knew he would begin to expect it if I always warmed it for him. Humans are creatures of habit....so anything they get used to, will be difficult to be rid of :)

0
8 81

I never heated up my kids' bottles, unless they were just out of the fridge of course. They both always got used to room temperature bottles and it was fine for them. Now my daughter is almost 3 and she wants it warmed up because she is imitating the adults and she sees them heating it up with chocolate and such XD

0
160 56

I did the same as Becca and Keesha
I never heated a bottle as I knew I wouldn't always have access to warm water to heat it up. When she was sick then it was heated or if a gma was watching her then she got spoiled and got it heated up.

0
4 27

i gave room temp so that i dont nid to look for where to warm d bottle if i' m not home and both my daughters took it fine .

0
12 17

i only warmed it when he asked me to. he didnt ask until he was 2 and saw me warm mine one night. my son now only likes warm milk if it has chocolate in it . he's never had a warmed bottle from me.

0
25 12

I stopped heating ella graces when sewas 3 months but i made sure i was oom temp tii shewasoff formula (11 months)

0
102 14

I only heat up bottles during the winter or if it came out of the refrigerator. Room temp is just fine, especially now that it is so hot in the summer time.

0
9 24

I warmed my daughter bottle until she was about 9 months. Then she kicked the bottle and moved on to a sippy cup. But even now that she is 4, when she wants warmed milk I make her some. Its soothing to her andh elps her transition to sleep better. But its really up to you. If your child is healthy and has no reason for it to be heated then stop.

0
27 21

My daughter doesn't care which way I give it, but I started by giving her cooler bottles until I could just pull one from the fridge and give it to her.

0
7 83

Both my daughter and son were weened down to room temp bottles around 2 months and are both doing fantastic! It all depends on your baby. Try heating it less and less to see if your LO likes it or not. There's no nutritional value lost and if your LO is anything like my daughter was, eating 2oz here 1 0z there the bottle lasts two hours room temp as apposed to one hour warmed. hope this helps a bit

0
12 1

after breastfeeding/expressing for a month we just gave her room temp bottles because we started her on them she was just use to them and it was sooooo much easier than having to find somewhere to heat them up or try to heat them while holding a screaming baby i really suggest giving it a go for any new mum (anything to make our job a little easier ;) )

0