When to wean?

Some moms wean within the first year of breastfeeding, while others breastfeed for much longer, even supplementing into the solid foods years. When is the right time to wean?

1 10

Letting baby self-wean, with a bit of encouragement from you, is a great idea. I BF'd my daughter until she was 2.5 years, but after 18 months I put her on a stricter schedule and only BF'd her at home, where we were both comfortable. That way she could still get the nutrients and the bonding, yet it didn't interrupt my life too much. If you're feeling uncomfortable BFing, the best way to wean is by slowly cutting down the BFing sessions so that baby doesn't feel rejected by you.

8
21 28

Whenever it feels right. Some women are comfortable breast feeding for years, where others become very uncomfortable after the first 6months-1 year. I think mom's need to do what feels right for themselves and their baby.

5
103 5

It is personal between a mother and her baby....there is no right or wrong time! I think there is to much discussion and pressure revolved around the issue and I see to many stressed out mums struggling with the subject. Lets just say all mothers should be educated by the proffessionals then be left to make the breast feeding decissions with confidence.

3
58 10

When baby is ready! you can breastfeed as long as it is a positive relationship for both of you. it has its ups and downs. i have decided to let my baby breastfeed when we are at home. if we are outside of the house he does not breastfeed.
there are times throughout the day when i dont want to feed. i give him a cup with strawberry soy milk (nuby with rectangular top worked best) he loved the soy! it has so many more nutrients than cows milk, and its easier to digest (he gets tummy aches from cows milk) it not only makes it easier on me it is great for when you are not around. Even if you decide you only want to feed in the evening before bed that is still giving your baby the nutrition only you can provide.
my baby is 14 mths, eating solids, and loves breastfeeding! it helps him sleep and soothes him when he is sad, hurt, happy, hungry... i do get frustrated with breastfeeding, but then that moment comes when there is that connection. it makes it all worth while... he is my last, he was a surprise..his brothers are 14,16 i am going to enjoy every minute of it, i know from experience how quickly they grow up.

3
17 29

I breast fed my son till he was 2. it never felt like the right time for him or for me.... never ever ever let someone impose a time limit on it for you. Many people say one year. friends and family constantly would say.. YOU HAVE NOT WEENED HIM? he is still NURSING? I did a LOT of research on it and in truth if Humans went by some of the standards of the animal kingdom we would be breast feeding a LOT longer. ( potentially up to 8 years in some cases using a weight scale) No I don't agree with a 5 or 8 year old still doing it but really there should be no limit imposed other then what you are comfortable with or what is practical for you.

2
0 0

when you and baby are ready

1
177 7

For the most part I believe in child lead weening. My oldest stopped at 11 months. I did try to get him to latch back on, but after a week I gave up. My second child was down to two feedings a day, at nap time and bed time. I did cut him off at 2 years 6 months. I was 4 months pregnant and very sick. I couldn't keep up with his needs anymore. My third weened herself at 2 years 8 months. She will still ask on occasion, but just cuddles with me.

1
68 25

Just like Myshell said when your baby is ready. This question has to be answered on an individual basis. I breastfed my son right up until the week before he turned 2 and it was fight even then but I felt like we were both ready for the transition and we have not looked back.

1
0 1

I think the best is to prepare the baby to wean above 3 years. But it depends on the situations. If the mom is not avalaible to BF, baby can adapt easly. Every baby is unique so each BF and the weaning is unique too. Mom have to prepare little by little the baby. About 3 years, baby can understand well than little one. Mine is now 30 months. He just want to be BF when he wants to go bed, it means when he feels asleep.

0
18 12

I nursed twins until about 6 months. I stopped because they had dairy/soy protein sensitivities and when they started solids it was hard to tell if they were reacting to a new food or if I'd unknowingly eaten something with dairy/soy. I was already supplimenting with formula, so it wasn't too difficult of a transition. I think it was harder for me than them emotionally. They didn't fuss about not nursing anymore. It was nice to go back to my regular diet, but sad not to have that bonding time with them.

0
0 30

When you and baby are ready. I started weaning my first at 12 months, and he was done at 14 months. With my second, I had a major supply drop when my period returned at about 9 months, and started supplementing with formula (I chose not to take anything like fenugreek to increase my supply). He was done about 3 days shy of his first birthday.

0
0 13

It is definitely a personal decision to be made between a mother and her child. I was planning on letting my son wean himself when he was ready. At 20 months however he still had not done it on his own and I needed to have surgery. Despite what I was told about being able to nurse while taking certain narcotics I decided that this was the time to wean him. He was only breastfeeding for comfort by that time. I was away for a couple of days recovering and when I returned he was happy to see me and only asked a couple of times to nurse and was fine when I told him 'no'. My daughter weaned herself on her own at 18 months over the course of a week and never asked to nurse again after that!

0
1 12

My son ditched his pacifier and breast feeding between 4-6 months old. He decided no more for him. I was sad but I didn't want to fight him on it. I'm hoping my next will bf til a year but who knows

0
0 30

Just a tip that with your next, try consulting a lactation consultant, or the website kellymom.com if he/she stops so early. That's most likely a nursing strike, not weaning, at that young age. There are gentle ways to get them back to nursing, if that is what you want. Not trying to pressure you though...if something doesn't feel right to you, don't do it.

2 0

I bf'd for 2 years. by 1.5 yrs or a bit earlier I had it down to 2x a day. just before bed which was great snuggle time for just me and my DD. And first thing in the morning was the other time in a day. She still ate all meals with us. I never thought I would bf for that long but I loved that in such a hectic life, those were the two best quiet snuggly parts of my day to enjoy alone time with dd. Not sure how long I will bf baby no.2 . But am in no rush to stop - he is 7 months. Excuse the typos...DS is sleeping on top of me and I'm trying to type with my left hand only. lol.

0
1 23

When the baby bites or starts undoing your clothes!

0
13 17

When its right for both mom and baby. I weaned my oldest at 14 months cause as he was nursing I could hear his tummy gurgling at me. I knew it was mire comfort than food to him. My youngest U just weaned Nov. 25th, 2011 at 18 months. But I started back in Sept with elminating all day time feedings first then in November went all out with night time feedings. My oldest I had only elminated two feedings then went cold turkey at 14 months.

For those wanting to elminate bottles switch all out to sippy cups and get rid if or stire away all bottles. Otherwise your doing cold turkey and just tell your baby no more your a big boy/ girl now. Mom will have to suffer a few nights of crying but stand strong and you will win the battle.

Goes the same for BF weaning too stand strong dont give in and you too will win but go gradule at first if you have a stubborn baby like my youngest was. Then go all out, he was completely weaned in 7 days.

0
0 8

I breastfed my daughter until she was 17 months and only stopped then because my son was born. YES, I breastfed throughout my ENTIRE pregnancy without any problems.

0
1 12

Just a suggestion for all out there if you want to put cold breast milk in a Sippy cup and let them drink it just like milk if they have stopped from the breast but you want to continue to give them the nutrients from your milk. Or you can do both breast feed and pump and put in sippy cup or bottle.