When is your child old enough for the movies?

Children take a while to develop their attention spans, but some moms would argue that taking them to events where they need to sit relatively still, like movies or children's theater or concerts intended for young audiences, are part of what helps them to develop their attention span. When do you think children are old enough to sit through a full movie, or other form of entertainment?

59 7

i find that at 3 my son was ready to sit but only though movies he wanted to see. at this age i belive strongly that you need to let the kid decided if they want to see a movie my son sat perfectly still only getting up twice for a potty break for his cars 2 on his b-day but wouldn't not sit though rio (the movie about the blue parrets) i picked it thinking he would like it. but toke him to kung fu panda 2 a week later cause he wanted to see it and again he sat perfect accept for potty runs. i think it depands on the kid and if they actully want to see what your taking them too.

10
15 11

My twin girls are 2 1/2 and I took them to the movies just last month to see puss and boots and they sat through the whole thing. Mind you I had to put both there coats in the seat and the 2 of them because one is not heavy enough to hold the seat down.lol

5
0 62

This is my first time writing here. My son, who is now 19 months loves, but LOVES watching movies! So I decided to venture out and take him to see his first movie (Puss in Boots) a week before turning 18 months, truthfully I was pumped but also a little scared of how he would react in a dark, a bit loud, strange place, in fact, both my husband and I were prepared to have to leave at any moment, however, to our pleasant surprise, he couldn't have been happier! He absolutely loved the movies, he laughed, clapped, sighed and was amazed at every little thing that happened in the movie, it was a wonderful experience, so great that this weekend we are taking him again, this time it's Happy Feet 2! So I guess that like everything else, it really truly all depends on each individual child!

3
0 0

Mine is a six year old boy who loves movies so much. Me and my husband took him to a movie house when he was 3 years old. His first movie is Transformers,he completely sat still,no potty runs, and no whining for snack.The next one is the Megamind 3D on which he didn't quite enjoy coz he started standing up,whining and wanted to play his toys so we decided to left the theater halfway of the movie.. In my point of view, even kids has their own choice of movies they want to watch just like adults we just simply have to ask them. :-)

2
1 0

We take our 3 year old daughter. We make sure we get there right before the movie starts so we don't sit through 20 minutes of previews and we wait until she gets a little restless to go get snack.

2
0 11

I took my daughter at 3 months. I would schedule the times around her naps. By the time she was 11 months she was used to the theater. Her face would light up when she saw the building. She is 4 now and thats our Mommy & Me thing we love to do.

1
0 29

I took my daughter and nephew who us nearly 3 and 4 to see Aurthur Christmas and they both loved it they sat there most of the time apart from one potty break my daughter did sit in my lap in the end as she was to light for the actual seat but apart from that they were great and can't wait for our next visit :)

1
1 4

i think that local theatres put on matinees for young children with lights on etc so that it doesnt matter if they are distracted and noisy - but it gives them a chance to see what its like and to get used to the atmosphere and if its the right subject matter it'll grab their attention a bit! I think 2 1/2 is about the right age for a quick short movie as a first taste and stage plays designed for youngsters are also a good idea and probably likely to grab their attention more especially if it involves a favourite TV character eg Peppa Pig! My three year old girl loves the theatre and the treat of going out. Although I know some friends who feel their sons aren't ready at the same age as they are too active - perhaps its a gender related decision?

1
0 7

My son is now 3years old. I took him to the movies for the first time when he was 2 and half. We saw car 2. He loves mcqueen. He says his name is Victor Mcqueen. In the middle of the movie he starts to stand up and walk around the theater. At home he spends hours in front of TV.

0
2 20

I took my son to his first movie just a few weeks ago to see Happy Feet 3! He really liked it! He turned 3 years in August. I think it all depends on your child's attention span and how colorful and interesting the movie is! Towards the end he got a little fidjity but for most of it great! Popcorn helps too :)

0
0 16

I start took my son out for movie when he was 1year 10mth old.He will sit propely with his pop corn and hot choc drink.But at that time,he gave attention on that movie only for 1 hour.Then he will start playing quietly in the cinema.But now,my son 2yrs 5mth.He will give full attention watch the movie without disturbing anyone. Now,every two weeks I have date to movies with my son ;-).

0
0 16

I have 3 kids, 7, 4 and 17 months. I started taking all of them when they were young. My son saw curious George when he was just over a yr. My youngest has gone to see at least 4 movies in the theater. I feel that because they were exposed at a young age it taught them how to act when they were there. They are great in the theater and I can get them to sit still longer there than I can at home.

0
0 5

i took my son at 2 1/2 yrs and he sat perfectly still... no potty runs and i already had snacks in my bag for him and a bottle of juice if he asked for it.. but unfortunately my child is not a regular child he will not sit and watch a cartoon, not even at home he is more if a horror movies fan.. so first i took him to watch SHARK NIGHT in 3D and he sat through out the whole movie and loving it! and then i took him to watch IMMORTAL and decided to go to sleep half way though out because he got bored. In the end it does depend on your childs mood and taste of movies

0
0 6

First, ask if the child wants to see a movie in the theatres. It may be too overwhelming for him or her. I believe it is up to the individual child, as some kids develop faster then others. We took our oldest, who is now 4, to see Cars 2 for his birthday. He loved it, because he loves Lightening McQueen and Mater. We also told him he was going to see it, long before the movie was in theatres (it was part of his birthday and he knew that), so I think it prepared him to go. Yes, I do also believe the child should pick the movie, or at least know what the movie will be. That way they are prepared to watch it.

0
13 17

I took my 2 year old to see the Wiggles movie. He sat very well. You have to know your kid and see a movie they have an interest in. Also going to a theater that offers child specials help. so you will be surrounded by others in your position so they will understand if your child is having a difficult time.

0
0 15

I was able to take my son at the age of 2 1/2, he would sit so still when watching a movie. Especially the ones he liked. My little girl on the other hand she is now 3, and I still have not been able to take her to the movies. She would get up and run around the theater and I would have to run after her or continue to tell her to be quite. I feel bad that I can only take her older brother. She just simply would not sit still even if its a show she has been wanting to see. So for her I would have to wait till she is a little older.

0
0 1

I took my son to his first movie at 2. We went and saw Toy Story 2 and he did great sitting quietly and fairly still throughout the entire movie. [I do recommend bringing a heavy coat or grabbing a booster seat if your theatre offers them (most do just ask!!) because the kiddos usually aren't heavy enough to keep the seat unfolded. ] Last year we took him to see Elmo Live and he only sat well through about half of it... Just didn't keep his intrest as much, he kept wanting to get up and walk around (but he still talks about it and asks to go back-- I think all the noise & excitement just over whelmed him)

0
0 11

I took my oldest at about 3 but he's fairly well behaved not sure i'd be as brave with my youngest though. Most cinemas do a kids club on a weekend morning and school hols where kids don't need to be as quiet and sit as still.

0
1 7

best thing i done with all 3 of my children was find a movie thertre that runs kids clubs , the film might be a bit older ,but it's a lot cheaper so if your child doesn't settle you haven't wasted loads of money, in fact i took my 5 yr old not so long ago and my 14 yr old decided he wanted to come to ,it may be an older film but that doesn't stop them enjoying themselves

0
4 10

My son was 31/2 years old when he started talking. Just remember kids develop at different speeds. When they are ready they will talk

0
9 16

We took my oldest daughter, who will be 4 in May, to see The Lion King when it was in theaters. She wanted to sit on our laps at first because the big screen kind of surprised her so she was trying to take it all in. Then about twenty minutes into the movie she kept wanting to get down in our aisle to play & watch the parts of the movie she wanted to watch. We didn't bring our almost two year old because she wouldn't of sit still through the whole thing.

0
2 7

I think it depends on a) the child and b) how interested they are in what is in front of them and c) length of movie/show etc. I took my son aged 2 and a half to the theatre recently to watch a show of his favourite cartoon. The cartoon episodes are 5 mins long; the show was 1 and a half hours with an interval. He sat on my lap the entire performance and barely moved a muscle. I had been prepared to leave during the performance if his attention wasn't there and wasn't sure how he would react to people holding glove puppets of his cartoon characters. He absolutely loved it! I have a gut feeling on another day, he might have been totally different as he is at an age where he differs every day. I would say think positive and have a go and if it doesn't go well, try again a few months later. Hope this helps.

0
581 24

every child is different! Mine (3, 2, 6 months) don't stay sit for more than 10 minutes. Others, I believe, can stay for hours on end!

0
1 22

Well my daughter is 15 months. I have not taken her to a theater yet, but she dose really well watching Finding Nemo. That is her favorite movie. She will just sit there and occasionally drink juice. She sits very still and pays attention to the whole movie. She either sits in her own chair or on my lap. Either way she is enthralled by the entire movie. Other movies she will sit for a while and the occasionally get up when she dosnt like what is happening. So in my personal opinion its all about what your child likes to watch. It doesnt have to be an age thing.

0
3 2

Thank you so much for posting this! My son (22 mo) gets SO excited every time a preview for The Muppets comes on, and he LOVES watching movies at home - but at home he can play and doesn't have much of an attention span for more than 20 minutes at a time. These comments have really helped me :) Thanks ladies!~

0
4 13

every 1 is diffrant and is up to the person if they feel there kids r ready 4 it and it a film they want to see or if it a play. my son is now 6 even though we not bit to see a film he loves seein the little shows they hav at theme parks he sits there and gets involed when they hav to join in

0
3 0

We took our daughter (3 yrs old) to see Cars 2 in the movie theatre and she sat through nicely except for 1 potty break. She was actually more scared of some scenes. We took her to children's musical series over the summer (cinderella wedding, Red riding hood, snow white, etc). They were an hour long each and she only sat through still for the ones she liked. She didn't like Red Riding hood. We are going to see the Nutcracker (ballet) later this week, and hoping that she will sit through 2 hours with an intermission.

0
2 23

I took my daughter to see Toy Story 3 when she was 8 months old. She had never watched tv before let alone a movie. I put the 3D glasses on her [which she kept on] and she sat there entranced for the first 40 minutes of the movie. Then she was hungry so I fed her and she wanted to play [I brought some toys] and so I let her and she had a grand old time. When I look back at this, it was NUTS. Who in their right mind takes an 8 month old to the theater?

But she's only gone the once, and now she's 2

0
0 25

ok I was reading this and just thinking to myself "what in the world?!" But I busted out laughing at the end!!!! We always seem to "learn" by what "we as mommies" is the best thing ever:) Hahahahaha

13 7

My son went from the time he was born to the moms and babies, but they don't have that where we live now. I have taken him since he was 2, to regular shows and as long as its bee something he liked and lots of popcorn he was great!!

0
2 12

I took both my boys when they were 3 to there 1st movie as long as they are quite and not running around the theater there fine. Its a kids movie so who ever is watching needs to under stand its a kids movie

0
34 42

I actually took my 2 year old to see Rio in the theater and he did an amazing job. My 10 year old sister went too and she sat three seats away from me so he could walk back and forth between us but not get away. He was into the movie and his snacks and didnt yell or scream or cry so I was pretty proud of him for that. I think different kids are ready at different times. My cousin couldnt even go to the movies until she was 8 without acting up. lol

0
77 30

I'd say 3 yrs I took my daughter to see Dolphin Tale and she did alright went for a few potty breaks, also her cousins were there too and my mom and sister as there was 5 kids altogether. She did like the idea of going o a dolphin movie. My son is 20 months and I'd wait till he was able sit still for along time before taking him to a movie. Also, the theatre we wemt to is a local small one so that helped too as there wasn't s much to distract the kids as the bigger city theaters have. Some do do moms and strollers movies too which is especially for kids.

0
30 32

3 years old is good plus u can always go to mums and babys sessions in the mornings then it dos'nt matter if they don'nt sit still the whole time as there will be a theater full of mums and kids doing the same :).....

0
2 7

mum and baby sessions sound cool, wish we had them in the UK!

28 4

My son started going to the movies when he was about 2 years old. He has always done really well and will sit even when he isn't all that interested as long as he can sit on a lap. He also enjoys the popcorn ( I know, not very healthy). Now at 3 he is a little harder if he doesn't like the movie and will want more potty breaks so he has an exscuse to leave, we take him to a $2 theater so that if we do have to leave we are only out about $6 instead of paying full price. I also have a friend who has a son that is the same age as mine and he won't sit through a movie yet. I think it all really depends on temperment and development rate. Some kids can do things sooner than others, just gauge what you think your kid is capable of and be prepared to have to leave and try agian some other time.

0
34 20

I am on the fence as to when I think a child is ready. I have a 28 month old little girl and we have the opportunity to take her to see Happy Feet 2 free of charge at an event being sponsored by my company. I thought that this would be a good first time thing, since I am not paying for it and won't feel as though I have "wasted my money". We go the first week of Dec. Wish us luck!

0
0 29

I think it depends on what your child is capable of doing. Some children can do sit through a movie at age two and some can't until they are a bit older. I know for myself, this is the first year I have taken my four-year-old daughter to the movies-and they all have been free! I am not willing to spend money for us to see a movie because she is unpredictable in how she reacts to movies. I have always let her pick what we see, and if I see that she is not enjoying the movie we leave. Every child is different; you know your child the best and what they are capable of and what you are willing to deal with.

-2