When's the right age for a child's first visit to the dentist?

So, your baby has teethed and now has some pearly whites to keep clean. When is the right time to take your child to the dentist for the first time?

77 2

Our daughter has a pediatric dentist and he says that you should absolutely take your child in for a visit as soon as you start to see teeth coming in. It could be as early as under a year, but the enamel on kids teeth can break down very easily from the sugar in juices, milk, fruits and baby food. He says he sees an enormous amount of cavities on kids teeth whose parents waited too long to bring them in. Better safe than sorry. It's not like it's going to hurt them to go so young.

6
20 16

my daughters got her first dentist appointment tomorrow and shes 17months but shes been sitting on my lap when i went since she was born, so she cant wait. i think its only going to be a case of seeing if she'll open her mouth. see what your dentist says

2
0 15

Your site has some really helpful information. We invite you to read our articles about oral health topics such as http://www.dentalinsurance.org/tabsContent/Childrens-Oral-Health-Timeline.aspx.

1
4 15

Our 3 go to a pediatric dentist & started at 1 yr.

1
14 8

ok as taking dental assistant classes it is said as soon as the child has more then five teeth then it depends on your pediatric dentist how often you go i justy got my two year old home and she hadnt gone i freaked so i took her immediatly and was asked why she hadnt been before i explained situation but it was taught that this is perfect to start taking them to dentist as soon as you have more then five teetth dont get me wrong if they arent sitting on own its best to wait till that happens if they already have teeth good luck

1
0 11

My daughters pediatric dentist said around a year or 15 months.

1
78 33

i asked my kids' pediatric dentist awhile ago what age to take them in, he said at a year old. so my youngest went in febuary and she turned 1 in november. my 4 and 5 year old LOVE going to the dentist, they will count down days to go if i tell them i have an appointment for them. my 5 year old has even had fillings worked on and he still loves to go in. my 1 year old wasn't super fond of the people looking in her mouth but i'm sure next time will be a little better and the time after will be even better. they don't force them to sit and open if they are gonna have a huge fit.

1
12 6

We waited to go not knowing when we should start and my little guy had cavities :( He was 3, did great sitting and letting them fill them though. He was breast fed for 19 months and didn't sleep with bottles just has really soft enamel. We have to brush carefully now and see a pediatric dentist regularly. He loves to go so does his younger brother, little one was the youngest they had had in there that would lay down and let them count and clean his teeth. Really is a different experience for them at the pediatric dentist versus the assembly line concept of Comfort Dental or similar.

1
6 15

Our oldest saw the dentist the 1st time at 15 months... The other 2 just recently went-at age 3 and 23 months, here's why-Our old dentist will see children, but I have 3-ages 7, 3, and 23 months-and the 3 year old is on the autistic spectrum and our dentist (he wasn't a pediatric dentist) refused to see him. Because of that, I refused to take my younger child there... If they can't see all 3 children, they can't see any of them... After seeing the new pediatric dentist with my autistic child 1st, and having an absolutely wonderful experience, the other 2 saw them. I do not regret switching! Dental visits are now less stressful for us-when they specialize in children, it changes the whole thing! So I do believe in early visits-but it has to be the right dentist... I just wish I had found this practice earlier!!!

1
15 113

I do virtual tours for children's book authors and I just happen to have a debut author, Linda Valderrama, touring with me this month. She wrote a book called "Brush Barry Brush" and has been doing guest post on different blogs about this very subject. She also has over 25 years experience as a dental hygienist. You can find her blog touring schedule here http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/LindaValderrama.aspx

I'm also the daughter of a DDS and my dad was really big about getting me to take my kids in once they started getting teeth and brushing my kids teeth. Kids and get cavities and tooth decay from the very first tooth coming in. They don't do too much at the dentist office with cleaning, but they do count their teeth and look to see if they are coming in okay.

1
0 12

I took my daughter last week. She turned 2 in May. The dentist said this was the perfect time to start (so they get used to the idea) and she should go every 6 months when we go. She counted her teeth and did a basic fluoride-free cleaning.

1
9 4

This was actually a big question i have had, and was happy to come across it. Thank you ladies for your awesome advice. I'm actually about to start bringing my daughter in to a pediatric dentist, and was wondering how early was too early or what the recommended age was. I've got terrible teeth(genetics) so am hoping she inherited her fathers teeth rather than mine.

0
20 0

My baby was 2, but she didn't even start getting teeth until she was 1.

0
17 21

hey there,

our son is 2.5yrs we go with him to the dentist since he was 1.5yrs every 4 months so he can get used to open his mouths and he looks inside and checks visually...the last two times our little one was really proud and opened his mouths right away....greets

0
17 21

but then we live in Germany and health insurance is very well, so all of these "extra visits" are covered

25 34

I believe it all depend on the state you live in. I live in PA, and they all say to take them when they are 3.

0
0 16

The younger the better, but no younger than 2. Make sure its actually a pedo dentist. Let your childd get used to their surroundings. The dentist will count their teeth, thats about it. Once they are 3, your child will get cleanings. They get seen every six months, so I'd suggest take em when they turn two, just to get used to a new stranger touching their teeth and being in their mouth.

0
77 2

I have to disagree with the "no younger than two" part of your answer. Our daughter's pediatric dentist says a child should see a dentist as soon as their teeth start to come in. Kids' enamel can break down very easily and he said he sees far too many kids who already have cavities before they are 2 years old. Juice, milk, fruits and even natural sugars in baby food can cause cavities even while teeth are still emerging from the gums. We took Katelyn when she was a year old. I don't that's too young at all, they just do a quick cleaning and flouride treatment and teach you how to brush your kids teeth even when they only have one or two with gauze or a finger brush, then you can graduate to a toddler toothbrush when they get a bit older.

9 0

Our ped said 6 months after the first tooth shows up.

-1
16 13

Our dentist said 2

-1
1 19

I believe you should take your child to the dentist at 2 years of age.By then all their teeth should be in.

-1