Which is better for raising a family: city or suburbs, and why?

1 32

It really depends on the city, but I love raising a family in Oakland so far. We have the best of both worlds here -- a quiet neighborhood with great parks full of redwoods and good schools nearby and the diversity, arts, and plethora of activities of a bigger city. I think regardless of city or suburb, it's the community you find that really makes a difference.

1
0 0

I think in some cases it is the suburbs, because I grew up in the country and we had so much more fun playing in the yard and didn't have to worry that we were disturbing the nighbors. However you can be too much in the suburbs til there are no other children to play with which can make a true loner!

0
0 0

Personally, I believe the city is a better place to raise a family, but this, is, of course, dependent on what city we are talking about. Here in Toronto, it is very possible to live downtown and raise a family. There is a multitude of cultural activities, good schools, and family-friendly neighbourhoods. You can walk or take public transportation, and there are lots of green spaces. I also love that my kids are exposed to a lot of diversity and are consequently very accepting of differences. That being said, in other cities, it may be more difficult to raise a family in the downtown core. My famiily is originally from New York, for example, and trying to raise children in Manhattan can be virtually impossible, unless you have a lot of money!

0
0 0

I truly think they both hav their positive aspects. I feel that I am a bit "well equipped" to answer this, as I have lived in both areas growing up.
I have gone from a city with lights and action allll the time to living on a dairy farm.
We (my hub and I), after living in a small city for 5 years have just recently made the big move back to the country. I am so happy we did. FOR US it makes sense. We are used to country life (my hub was born in the country) - we always talked about bonfires with friends and family, playing with our kids in our big fenced in yard and waking up to quiet. We are so blessed that that is now a reality.
But that is just what works for us. A large reason why it works is because, that is what we are used to.
saying all this, we were quite happy in the city too, but something was missing. But if, for some reason, we were unable to move back to the country, we would have been ok. Because we have each other.
So after this long winded answer I would have to say that BOTH have their advantages. Both offer amazing learning opportunities for little ones. At the end of the day, being with those you love and being truly present, is what matters :)

0
0 67

I think they can both be wonderful. Parents should provide their children with a balance in life that exposes them to nature and city elements, community connection and cultures outside their own. Well-rounded children are important.

0
0 0

I certainly think that it is a matter of personal choice and personal preference. I am a city gal, as have been. When I had my son, I stayed in NYC and decided to raise him here. I love that there is always something fun, interactive, and educational going on, whether it be a trip to the museum, a live show. or simply lounging around at our local playground. I also love that the city is busy. It keeps me energized and gives me life, so to speak. My son loves living in the city as well and even likes to hail a cab!

The one thing that almost (almost!) made me move to the suburbs is kindergarten application and the entire process of getting my son in a good enough school for him. But, still, I decided to stay in NYC. It's my city and my love.

0
0 0

I wouldn't say it is better or not, but we live on a farm, 10km from a smll country town. My kids have room to ride their bikes and motorbikes, have lots of animals to play with and learn from, and can make as much noise as they want, and only disturb their mother. ;)
The school they go to has 34 kids in total, but excellent teachers who teach my girls at their level, rather than the class level. As a result, they are 12-18 months ahead of where they are expected to be at their respective ages. They have music lessons and sporting opportunities available locally.
The cultural diversity isn't that great though, but we make trips to the city for this and other reasons.
I'm happy, and they're happy, and that is what matters most to me.

0
0 0

city because of the multiculturalism and diverse family friendly destinations.

0
0 0

There are country mice and city mice. Who's to say which is better?

0
2 0

I grew up in London and remember being bored during school vacations as there wasn't that much to do apart from going to the local urban park, library or take a long trip to the coast. Now I am raising my children in Marin, and I feel so fortunate about the opportunities they have around them; to participate in so many types of camps, go to the beach, go for a hike, swim in outdoor pools (something very rare during my childhood).
I think it depends on the crime rate and safety of the area you live in, rather than whether it is a city or suburb. If you and your children are happy and you are surrounded by good friends or a good community, then that is the most important thing when choosing where to raise your kids.

0
0 0

I don't think it's easy to say one is better than the other. Children need a loving and caring family to help them grow to be balanced well rounded adults. Where they live should not be important.

0
0 21

I don't think there is a right answer. I think kids thrive anywhere with love, security and great parenting. I do think that raising your child in an urban area can be challenging. For example, we live near the beach, but we have no yard and live in an area without sidewalks. It's very a city-by-the sea. Kids have to either go to the beach or to the park to play. Granted, that's not a bad thing, but it means that you have to pack up and schlep everybody somewhere else to play outside.

0
0 0

Either. We live in a lovely neighborhood with lots of children, but close enough to everything we need, that we can get there in two minutes. I love having the best of both worlds. If I lived in a city like Chicago, I would say, the suburbs, with trips to the city often. I love the feel of a big city, but I need to be in a quiet relaxing setting, and love that my children have lots of room to play and be free. In a city, I am not sure they would get the same thing.

0
6 17

I'll have to go with option three -- the country!

0
6 0

I'd argue that it doesn't matter, as long as they have a great school district.

0