Which breast pump brand should I get?

Pumping breast milk can be beneficial for milk production and it allows for yourself or others to bottle feed your baby. There are so many breast pump brands out there! How do I know which breast pump is best for me?

6 0

I have the electric MEdela one from 2009,. and I used it with my son and now with my daughter and it works great! You should check with your insurance some cover the cost of them. Mine did thankfully and I have Caresource insurance. They sent it right to my house which was nice also=) Good Luck with your search!

3
5 0

As with pretty much everyone else, I would recommend Medela brand for pumps. I used a pump in style advanced for almost 15 months worth of exclusive pumping for my daughter, and I never once had a problem with supply. If you're just going to pump occasionally, the Avent Isis IQ, or even just the manual Avent pump works well.

If you're worried about nipple confusion, there are special teats you can get from Medela called Calma teats, they're great. A little expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. For my second baby I went from breast to bottle several times a day with no hassles. If you end up getting an Avent or other brand, you can buy adapters and still use Medela Calma teats.

3
2 22

Ive been pumping 11 months because my son never latched, and I LOVE MEDELA!!!

2
14 27

I have Medela =) My daughter was the NICU and the nurses there recommended that I get a Medela breast pump since while I was not at the hospital I had to pump to keep my milk supply. I love it =) and I loved using the ones at the hospital as well =)

2
22 53

I love my Medela BP mine was the freestyle, Handsfree!

11 18

I have had the tommee tippee manual and the medela swing electric. They both worked well but I found the manual one a bit laborious and found the medela much MUCH easier to use and I think I get better flow with it as well.

2
5 0

medela is my favorite. it doesnt hurt at all

1
14 0

apump should never hurt. Make sure you are suing the right size flange:)

279 20

I also used the Medela double electric.

1
7 26

Medela double electric! Love it!

1
3 35

I like the Medela Harmony

1
7 28

I bought the Medela Swing electric pump for less than $200. I just happened to have two boys that weren't really up for learning to breastfeed, so I pumped the whole time. I never lost production, if anything I gained. I actually had so much I stored my breastmilk and had months worth for both my boys, so I was able to wean myself before them.
I got my moneys worth out of this pump many times over! I'd recommend this pump to anyone!

1
110 1

I have a hospital grade medela. AND LOVE IT!! my son was in the NICU for two months due to being 3 months early. I plan on using it again when our next one is born.

50 14

I got a Medela hand pump when I was in the hospital last year 14 day post partum. I actually did better with the hand pump then the double hospital grade Medela electric pump they had in my room. I also have a double Medela electric pump it a back case that I got from WIC with my 3rd kid (6 yrs ago) which I have use for 3 kids now. I still haven't figured out the whole pumping 2 at a time thing, so I don't use it "correctly" so to speak. But it is a nice pump... a lot better then the singel Evenflo one I used with my 2nd.

But one other lady was right - drink lots and nurse often... is the best way to increase production. Also, eat oatmeal if you need a boost... it helped me on weekends when I couldn't keep up after a week of working.

Take care and good luck!

1
9 43

The best thing for milk production is drinking water and FREQUENT nursing. The more often you nurse, and the more often baby empties you, the more milk your body will produce. Your body will balance production to baby's needs.

It really depends on your needs. If you want a pump for just making a bottle every once in a while, a manual pump is fine (and cheaper). I really liked my Avent Isis. However, if your baby will get a lot of bottles and you plan on going to work, a double electric pump, for instance from Medela, is worth the investment.

However, don't forget, most babies get nipple confustion between breast and bottle. If you do give bottles, use one with the smallest number of holes in the nipple that you can find. My friend with twins was only giving one bottle per night, but her twins ended up preferring a bottle (it is easier than nursing) and she had to stop nursing very early. My other friend with twins basically never gave bottles and ended up nursing the entire first year.

1
9 43

BTW, If you need help with nursing find a nursing consultant or La Leche League group in your area.

5 27

I have tried a couple of brands and by far the medela is worth it! It can be expensive so you can also rent a pump as well. But they are definitely the best brand in my opinion.

1
2 9

After both my children were born it was the same: the milk wouldnt come out easily from my breast. The first breast pump I used then was the electric one, which is the most effective. Mine was the Medela. Secondly I used the manual breast pump that you can bring around with you. In that case I chose the avent. I recommend my choices, both worked very well. You do not need to get them new; you can buy them second-hands and sterilize them.

1
25 10

Medela is the way to go. I dont know if you live here in the states or not. But if you do go to your local WIC office and they will let you sign out and borrow one of theirs (for up to 3 months i believe). They are hospital grade pumps and are very good. You dont have to worry about it being unsanitary because the part that actually touches your breast comes sealed from the factory and has never been used before and you also keep that part when you return the pump. Or you could buy the pump but its kinda expensive.

1
11 0

I used First years. They make both a single or a double. :)

0
14 0

Are you a WIC mom?If so, you can get one for free for your return to work. We give the Ameda pumps with the back pack and coolers. It's really important that you use the right size flange when pumping as well. If your nipple rubs the side while pumping you should go up a couple more MM. the sizes are marked on the side of them usually. Also, make sure that read the rules for storing your breast milk also.
This website is a a great resource. http://www.breastmilkcounts.com/
I have used the Medela pump in style and the ameda. I thinkt hat hte ameda bag is better and not as bulky. BUT they are both great pumps.

ALSO.. I Recommended the breastflow bottles to avaoid nipple confusion. And try to have someone else feed your baby while youre not in the house. They smell/sense your presence. If your baby is over six months..skip the bottles all together and go straight to the sip-pee cup.

0
4 0

I know most people are saying Medela- and they are probably great ones don't get me wrong. I had a Playtex one- It was pretty nice. The shape of the pump looks like a flower and all parts come off for washing. Didn't hurt at all....except I didn't really like pumps too much since I was around my son most of the time anyhow.

0
13 1

Medea Freestyle is awesome!! Double electric works super!!

Medela has AWESOME customer service if you need it too.

0
14 9

I bought the Medela Swing because I mostly nursed my son but at times that he slept and I wanted to keep myself going every 2 hours, I would pump. MEDELA IS AWESOME AND THE ONLY WAY TO GO. Nothing else matters.

0
14 9

Oh yeah, and I bought mine from the hospital which was WAAAAAY cheaper than buying it at a department store. It was the best decision I ever made.

11 9

I have to laugh after seenig all the Medela pump answers; I didn't know it was so popular! I use the Avent pump and love it! It's fast, efficient, medium-range price (approx. $200). All the parts are interchangeable too. The bottles hook right up to the pump. Pump, put on the nipple and feed! They also have storage cups that hook right up to the pump. You can pump into the storage cups, label them, store them and then use the Avent converter lid to feed Baby right from the storage cup. (The converter lid allows you to put a nipple onto the storage cup.) Wash them and they're reuseable.

0
57 0

I really liked using my MEdela hand pump. IT was easy to use and clean, small and allowed me to pump and freeze my breast milk for times when I was out.

0
13 0

Rent the hospital pump. Nothing will work the best like the hospital one. I've tried the medela and a pump from kohls. But they just didn't work like the hospital one.

0
14 9

hospitals use the medela brand, they are just better and more awesome that other normal kinds of medela. but yes, medela hospital grade pumps are the shiz. :)