Why did you choose not to breastfeed?

Breastfeeding can come with many complications and frustrations. What made you choose to formula feed your baby rather than breastfeed?

0 2

I feel we are pressured to breastfeed our babies and our worth and ability to be a mother are judged on our willingness to succomb to thispressure. I can't say that I know of any breastfed babies that are never sick or that they seem to be any smarter than those that are formula fed. My now 3 1/2 year old son has always been in the 75th % for weight and height and he is almost too smart for his own good. It never seemed like even an option to me to breastfeed. Why? With formula my husband could share in the joy of the nighttime feedings. My baby could be fed anywhere easier than breastfed babies, I didn't have to cover up, or leave a conversation because my son was hungry. If he was hungry when we were out shopping or in church I just took out a bottle with water in it, dumped in the premeasured powder, shook it, and we were good to go. I never had to guess how much he was eating , I could tell you exactly how many oz he had consumed. Sure there is the extra expense of formula and bottles, but most women who breastfeed also purchase pumps and bottles, and also special nursing bras and pads. All considered I am not against other women breastfeeding, it needs to be a personal decision. I just wish that society did not feel the need to make us feel like less of a mother if we choose not to.

46
14 3

well said!

2,096 19

With my first child, I initially didn't want to breastfeed. I was raped a few years prior and had a scar left on my breast from the incident, so I just hated them, hated the look of them, just was uncomfortable with my breasts in general. But when I got pregnant in 2007, my husband really wanted me to try breastfeeding. While he understood why I was uncomfortable doing it, he was still very for trying at least. So to please him, I tried breastfeeding. Unfortunately I was miserable... not only was I uncomfortable all the time, but my daughter had latch issues. I also experienced post-partum depression, so I got to a point 3 weeks after she was born that I wasn't going to bother anymore, and switched to formula (we'd been supplementing along with trying to breastfeed, but because of my PPD I wasn't eating so I didn't produce a lot of breastmilk). It was the best decision I made. I went on medication for the PPD and actually enjoyed my child. And now, I'm in a better place mentally, and am able to exclusively breastfeed my new baby. But I don't regret formula-feeding my first. She is and has always been a very healthy girl, has only been sick a couple times in her 4 years.

16
6 49

Some women find it therapeutic to breastfeed when they have endured such a horrible thing as rape. I'm sorry that that wasn't the case for you. I am glad that you were able to find a way to enjoy your baby after getting help for your PPD.

0 0

I breastfed my son for two weeks before making the decision to stop. Why? Because I simply did not want to do it. I was miserable, which in turn was making my little man miserable. So we switched and I am now the proud mother of a happy, healthy, funny little boy who just happens to be formula fed.
And to any boobie nazi who is now poised to judge the decision of a total stranger, I say this: I am an intelligent woman, well aware of the pros and cons of both breast milk and formula (I would not make a decision about my sons welfare without doing thorough research), I am perfectly able to bond with my baby over the top of a bottle (and in the bath, in my arms, through play and generally any other way in which we spend time together) and, whether you agree or not, for many thousands of women and their families, breast is not best. What's so sad is that this choice is often so harshly criticised by those best placed to support mothers through the ups and downs of motherhood - other mothers.

13
25 16

Well said, Ally. Entire generations were raised on formula and survived and thrived. Woman were made to breastfeed, but it doesn't work well for everyone. When my mom had her second child she also provided breast milk for a set of twins who's mother couldn't nurse, and that was 64 years ago!

1 16

I completely agree with you, Amanda. My boys are now in their 30's. At the time I made the decision NOT to breastfeed my babies, breastfeeding was just becoming extremely popular. It was extremely frowned upon to bottle feed. Breastfeeding was never a consideration for me. It was completely out of my comfort zone for some reason. I can honestly say that I do not have one single regret. No one can ever say that I didnt connect or bond with my baby. My babies were and still are momma's boys. My boys slept all night through from the time they were 2 weeks old. You always knew how much formula they got and that they had a full tummy. My husband was able to love and nurture the babies while bottle feeding them....something he would not have been able to participate in if I had breast fed. I remember how much it meant to my parents--to be able to hold and feed the boys their bottles. They were healthy and smart and incredibly loving and happy. Bottle feeding my babies---in no way--- had a negative effect on them. They were strong, honored and awarded athletes. They both were scholasticly gifted. They went on to college to get their masters degrees. One is in an impressive position in the financial world and the other is a high school principal. I couldnt be prouder of them......and I couldnt be closer to them. I dont want to hear one more person tell me how much I missed by not breastfeeding!

10
0 1

Amen Debbie! Every woman needs to decide what is best for her baby, herself and her family. Breast feeding or bottle feeding is not an indicator of the depth or breadth of connectivity you have with your baby. Life is too short to criticize the choices of others. Give support. Thank you again Debbie! Congrats on raising two amazing men. I hope to do the same with my (bottle fed) girls.

0 0

As a breastfeeding mom I would like to say this:

I respect choice, *informed* choice. I totally see why someone who was raped does not want to breastfeed, or gives up after trying. I *get* that if you have severe complications and not a lot of support you give up. This does NOT make you a worse mom. As a matter of fact, I don't even think you're a bad mom if you try it and decide it's *just* not your thing. It IS a hard decision to make to stop nursing a young infant - I get that.

but what really bugs me is that I read a lot of stories here from moms who did not get get good information and good support and decide that there was no other way than to switch to formula.

and so this one is for the expecting, curious young mothers-to-be that come check out this topic:

get informed, go to an LLL-meeting, call them.

http://www.llli.org/

for those who have happily switched: enjoy your motherhood!

10
0 16

Nicely said :)

0 0

Why is this such a big issue for so many women? If you do breast feed, great, if you don't, that's fine too. People need to mind their own business. This is coming from someone who didn't breast feed their first child and breast fed for 13 months their second child. This issue has jumped shark in my opinion.

9
8 0

Well, truth be told, it DOES effect us all. Formula manufacturing, bottle disposing is just an additional problem to add to our environment and us who work and pay taxes also pay for the healthcare of children and people on Medicaid. Many current statisitcs about the enormous amount of money that would be saved , as a nation and the world, if more women breastfed. Not just in infancy either. Studies show how organs like the kidneys can't properly digest something made for baby cows, because they are baby humans, which leads to things like kidney failure later in life,and dialysis. It is a global issue, as well as personal.

8,595 21

Because I was unable to provide enough nutrients for my children to thrive. I would have been nursing constantly, and still been behind.

I would like to say, that I am constantly annoyed by people who look down on me because I didn't breastfeed. I thought that parenting was providing for your children, in the best manner possible. Breastfeeding advocates don't seem to realize that some women simply cannot produce enough healthy, nutritious milk!

I would like to add that both of my sons were also lactose intolerant, which is NOT a good thing when the only feeding you are doing is breast. So, my sons, now 14 and 17, are healthy, well adjusted young men. They don't have any issues that stem from not breastfeeding.

Sometimes, it's just not the right thing to do.

9
432 14

I am not trying to criticize you, just wondering about the lactose intolerance... was that diagnosed when they were babies? because in fact 75% of the world population is lactose intolerant, but it typically only occurs after weaning age (with very very rare exceptions). if a baby is lactose intolerant they also can't have cow's or goat's milk based formula.

3 31

I had a completely miserable child for three months. We figured out that he was lactose intolerant, and switched from boob to soy formula. He was like a completely different baby immediately.

9
13 20

Did you try to change your diet before you gave up breastfeeding?

12 9

I really wanted to breastfeed my son, friends and family, drs and my midwife all told me "it was the best thing for him" and I got really really upset when I couldnt get him latched on properly. Lactation experts tried to help he get him on properly but nothing worked for me, it was so painful so I brought a breast pump and bottlefed him breast milk for a few days and that was fantastic... but I couldnt pump enough to keep up with my boy, so I thought he needs to eat so formula it is. Hes still a healthy happy little boy. and I dont feel guilty any more : )

9
459 66

My first child I breastfed for 6 weeks, he fed every hour for an hour day and night from the time my milk came in, he grew very quickly and by that 6 week mark I was so sore and exhausted that I gave up and introduced formula, he had one bottle and slept for 4 hours straight, that made up my mind to continue with formula. With my 2nd child, I again tried breastfeeding, but I retained my placenta and needed blood transfusions and that made an impact on my supply, after 3 weeks of constantly feeding, I expressed for 24hrs and only got 50mls, I switched to formula. With my 3rd I had Placenta Incretta which was found after I gave birth, long story short, I had an emergency hystorectomy, a 9Unit blood transfusion + multiple other fluids, I was in ICU for 4 1/2 days (the hospital didn't know if I was going to survive) and as hard as I tried to breastfeed, it just didn't happen, I supplement fed untill 8 weeks which was when my milk completely dried up on it's own.
Breastfeeding is not for everyone, some of my friends loved it and some hated it, I think you need to do what is best for both you and bub, if you are miserable breastfeeding, your baby will pick up on that. Each to their own and I don't think iit is anyones place to make someone feel guilty for making such a descision (breastfed or formula). I still had women (always women) say to me that 'it's a shame you didn't keep breastfeeding' after everything I went through to live to be with my daughter, if only people knew how heartbreaking it is for mums when negative comments are made about whatever we choose to do with our children. I think if mum and bub are happy and healthy then people should be happy.... Just my thoughts any how :-)

9
0 0

My mother had the same experience that you had with #3 with me (placenta issues, blood transfusions, an emergency hysterectomy). She wasn't able to nurse my older brother because of bleeding issues... and the medicine she took to stop hemmoraging. I feel very lucky to have my mother with me, she had to be revived. However she has felt very guilty about not being able to nurse... When I delivered my first born with minimal complications and was able to nurse, successfully, for a year, and then 14 months with my next child... she thankfully let go of a good chunk of her guilt. Just thought I'd let you know from a daughters point of view. I love my mom and I wish she hadn't held on to that guilt and stress. ♥

3 15

It is unbelievable to me how many women feel the need to lecture others about breastfeeding. I breastfed my daughter for her first five months through extreme pain due to fungal infections in the nipples. Meds did not work and I also produced way less milk than she needed to thrive. She was underweight and I was miserable. I had support,a pump and a lot of women telling me to "just keep trying". Thank goodness I had a great pediatrician who was supportive in my choice to switch to formula. My daughter (now 6) is smart, amazing and we are very close. It is just such a disappointment to me when women fail to support and instead judge one another for choices that are personal in nature. We are all moms, and we all love our kids.

8
77 16

I've had 3 children and was not able to breast feed any of them. The oldest latched on the best and i tried for a month but she was not getting enough, so i tried to pump and feed. one hour spent nursing her and a second hour trying to pump, all to be repeated in another hour - i couldn't handle it. With the next 2 i tried, they were harder to get to latch but we eventually got it, I again would feed and then try to pump (to stimulate more production) but at the peak i would only produce 1oz between the two sides. My milk just never came in with any of them, and it made it hard for me (PPD with the first 2).

7
1 14

Your comment sounds exactly like my experience with my son

36 0

I too was all about breast feeding until I actually tried it and reality hit me . Everything about it was awful and awkward for the both of us . She was having a really hard time latching and I had to wear one of those nipple shield things cause they would not keep their " shape " . Feeding was a lot more complicated then poping her under my shirt , step 1 , clean shield , step 2 , wet breast , step 3 attach shield , step 4 attach baby , step 5 stop when baby knocks shield off and repeat steps 1-4 again about 5 times a feeding . It was not till I started bottle feeding her full time that I felt the all mighty " bond " . She was relaxed I was relaxed , that to be was a beautiful thing . Not to mention the mastitis with a temp of 101 , fire hot boobs plus other flu like feelings . She is a year old now and i still feel guilty for giving up but I do know it was for the best.

7
83 5

Yeah I went though the same with my first plus a painful & powerful let-down.We made it just over 5 months and then we switched. After all the pain I went though I felt like I put in the best effort I could and didn't look back. I have since successfully BF 2 more kids. No pain or latching problems the 2nd and 3rd times around and very rewarding.If you ever have another child try again cause every baby is different and some just "know" how to nurse.

0 10

I am on phenobarbital for a seizure disorder. Although my Dr. told me that it was possible to breast feed, I would then have to have the baby's blood drawn quite often to see how much meds were going into his system. In the end, it really didn't seem worth the worries. I bottle fed both my boys and they are quite healthy and happy.

6
3 7

I did not breastfeed my son because he was born with a cleft lip and palate, so breastfeeding was impossible for him. He could not form a seal or make suction, so we had to use special bottles and squeeze them to get the milk in him. I did pump for a short time, but it just wasn't realistic. I think every bit of breastmilk a baby gets is beneficial, but when it turns you into a crazy momma it is not worth it! Ironically, my son who was on formula had fewer illnesses and ear infections than my first daughter who was fully breastfed. Kids are kids - all different, and we just do the best we can.

6
94 22

I had a c-section that resulted in my being violently sick for the 24 hours after my daughter was born. I could not feed and could not pump. My milk was late (at best) because of the lack of hormones in my system to let my body know the little one was out of my belly! After the sickness was over, I tried, but she failed to thrive (medical term). We were forced in the hospital to supplement with formula. After going home, I pumped religiously for a month. We continued to try and breast feed (and supplement with formula). I was unable to get her to latch with success and after my freezer died spoiling my "store" of breast milk to keep the process going with the bottles, I gave up in exhuastion. If anyone is going to judge me - keep your comments to yourself.

6
54 1

I didn't choose not to breastfeed, my kids couldn't latch on properly.

6
0 0

I didn't breastfeed with my son for a couple of reasons, 1 I really wanted to go back on my acid reflux meds that I couldn't use while pregos and if anyonw has acid reflux it can be very painful and 2 I didn't want to be the only one feeding him, (it didn't make sense to me to spend time pumping then to spend the time feeding the pumped milk). It turned out really well and my husband enjoyed beable to feed my son at anytime. It helped alot with him getting up and doing nite feedings and my nieces, grandparents and friends also enjoyed feeding him. With that being said, funny enought my acid reflux settled down alot after having him and I'm thinking about doing both bottle and breast, but will stop breast if I'm finding my child is not taking to a bottle. Again it was very nice to have others take part especailly my hubby. But I don't think people should judge either way. Do it or don't do it. As long as whatever you have decided on works for you and your family and of course baby is healthy.

6
0 0

I couldn't because my milk didn't kick in. There was insufficient for a hungry baby boy. I switch to formula as soon as I could. Now I also suffer from GORD due to a haitus hernia in my chest for which i have to take meds. I know the pain that severe acid reflux can cause. So i would have to bottlefeed again. From my first pregnancy, I decided a happy me will lead to a happy baby. If I am comfortable with my choices, it will lead to easier decision making about what is best for my baby. So there, to all those who judge me for my choices to be a better mother by taking care of myself in order to take care of son.

0 0

I chose not to breastfeed because I was completely uncomfortable with the situation. I figured if I was not comfortable then my son would not be either.

5
0 0

Crystal, I chose not to breastfeed for the very same reason. I got a lot of flak about it from other women, so I called a friend who is a pediatrician and she told me that it was totally okay to choose NOT to breastfeed. It was the best advice I ever received. I had 2 super-healthy boys with no allergies, no ear infections, etc. They are still rarely sick. I was a very happy mommy to them and my husband was able to participate in their babyhood fully. Women seem to fight so hard for the choice to breastfeed, but we also need to recognize the choice to bottle feed.

1 0

I am not saying one way or the other, I have used both BF and formula.

I will say this; educate, educate, EDUCATE yourselves ladies and choose what is best. I don't mean the baby books or grandma or even your Doctor or Midwife's word. READ medical journals with sources notated on this subjects.

By the number of quotes below, it would seem many babies are born with lactose intolerance. THIS IS VERY RARE. Lactose is NEEDED by babies for energy and growth! There is a kind of lactose intolerance that is only temporary - and it may deal with a bout of gastro. issues. AND TO CURE IT- YOU BF! :) It can be due to an "overdose" of lactose...but it is not suggested you switch to formula.

The benefits for both bf and formula have been argued and discussed, and it will continue to be so - until something "better" comes along. lol. Whichever you do, I would again stress that you educate yourselves and do either (both, whatever) the best you can.
Start by eating properly during pregnancy. Prepare yourself for the schedule changes, um LIFE changes that are coming!

If you use formula, be aware that not mixing properly can cause many health issues that can be blamed on other things. Check out ANY formula site on the matter. Clean hands, clean bottle, do not leave out, etc. It's not as "simple" as you might think it is. I found it EXHAUSTING!

If you BF - eat right! EDUCATE yourself on milk producing, nutrient giving foods. All mommies should be eating well-balanced meals and snack- but when you are the food source, treat yourself accordingly. Know what you need to make you "work" (HAHA) correctly.

Also, all new moms are tired. Remember this too shall pass, and it only feels like forever right now. Soon they'll be driving and you'll be willing to give anything to be nursing or holding that bottle again.

5
25 16

Good advice, and how quickly that time passes. My babe turned 24 yesterday!!

51 0

My first daughter breasted for almost 3 weeks before she went to formula she wasn't gaining any weight and was really bad jaundice ... My second daughter I was really pressured to breastfeed via pumping and latching as she was almost 8 weeks early and spent the first 2 weeks in the nicu ... If you ever thought you were pressured times it by 100...all the nurses pressured and pushed even tho it turns out she didn't like my breast milk... She'd only eat 1/4 of it and the rest had to be tube fed...which is very heart breaking to see your baby with a tube down her nose... So I continued to pump and feed and gabage the remainder... She was gaining so I finally took a stand and said WAIT I want her on formula only... So I heard the sinkers, got the looks but as she'd finish all 2oz of her bottle and her tube was removed I said I'm her only voice and by god if she wants formula let her have it.... I'm going to have our lil surprise in dec/jan and I will not even attempt to breastfeed and I will not allow anyone to make me feel quilty about it... Have to do what's right for both you and baby not what everyone else says.. My three year old doesn't get sick more than the breastfed and she surely ain't any less intelligent ... The baby I can't say much about as she's only 6 months old but she's doing good and thriving ... THANK GOD FOR FORMULA

5
0 0

Yes!! Well said!

81 17

I have epilepsy and was lucky enough to be able to stop my medication through my first pregnancy. I had difficulties getting my son to latch after he was born but worked with a lactation consultant to get him feeding properly. Eventually I was so stressed by my lack of success that I started having auras and episodes related to my epilepsy and had to return to taking medication to control my seizures, forcing me to stop trying to breastfeed and formula feed my son. With my daughter I had a lot more difficulties with the pregnancy and had to change medications so that I could stay medicated with less risk to the baby. She was born 7 weeks prem and had to have a feeding tube for 3 weeks. I was told that while I could pump to feed her, I could not nurse because her mouth was too small. Shortly after that I had to increase my medication to a level that the amount coming into the milk was not safe. I have spent so much time explaining to people my medical history as justification for not nursing. Every mom knows her baby best and her own personal limits. I can't even imagine how horrible the "friends" that criticized my choice would feel if something happened to my daughter because I caved to their uninformed disapproval and continued to feed her my breastmilk while on the higher dose of medication. And that doesn't even come close to how I would feel knowing that a choice I made, something I did, caused harm to my baby. Thank you so much for this article. No mother should feel bad for her choices when it is in the best interests of her child and herself.

4
19 0

I know how you feel Melody. I have a seizure disorder as well. I had my first when I was 24 (I'm 29 now) and I was afraid of my meds. affecting my daughter if I breastfed since some seizure medicins can cause problems to both you and your babies health. The only thng in my case was that I had surgery to remove the neurons that my seizures were coming from. I was lucky that it was very successful and that I was being weaned off of my meds. My neoro did decide to not reduce my meds to be safe. When I talked to him about what he thought reguarding to breast or bottle he told me that it was up to me even though I should be fine. Therefore, I decided to formula feed just to be safe.

21 35

I was on medication that I couldn't get off of at that time and it would have not been safe for my son.

4
22 0

my daughter who is 6years now didnt like the breast feeding so i couldnt breastfeed her which i think made me more motivated with my second i wanted to try it and its the best thing ive ever done i stopped breastfeeding him when he was 6 months because he started biting and making the nipple bleed but i was so upset when i stopped its so much easier quicker and cheaper on the bank account i would definitely recommend it to everyone give it a try

4
0 10

I'd just like to say that it sure would be nice if everyone could get along and mind their own business when it comes to other people's children. We all do what we believe to be right and proper. I disagree with some of the comments on here but I feel no need to say so because I am no better or worse than them - they simply had a different experience than myself.

I formula fed my first child after 3 months of struggling to get breastfeeding to work. The pressure from hospital and health visitors to breastfeed was intense and they made me feel REALLY bad for not getting it right initially. In the end my in laws and husband encouraged me to stop. I felt relief that there was another option and despite really wanting it to work, I was so thankful no one made me out to be a villain.

With my second child, I am exclusively breastfeeding and have done so now for 8 months. She has no intention of giving it up anytime soon, and I am equally happy to carry on.
I must be allowed to say this though - JUDGEMENT IS EQUALLY AS BAD FOR BREASTFEEDING. Please don't think all women who are breastfeeding are sitting there on their high horse feeling better than you. I feel really self conscious breastfeeding in public though I will feed my child anywhere and everywhere she wants. She's hungry, I will feed her. That's my right. But I am not comfortable and also there are LOTS of people out there who make you feel bad. I get comments like ''great, now she's getting her tits out again'' and ''seriously, why can't you go to the bathroom?'' I also get the added bonus - the inlaws and husband's family all didn't breastfeed and they all have essays to share about it. I didn't ask for your reasons why you're not breastfeeding, why are we discussing this over and over? I don't particularly care how you fed your children, no disrespect. I am breastfeeding, but I didn't ask what you did and I don't mind either way! :)

It does really annoy me that I've had more judgement for breastfeeding than the other way around. So many times I have gone to weigh my daughter or to the doctor, they've asked how I am feeding my child. I have been in the position of saying ''formula'' and I have been in the position of saying ''breast''. Whenever I've said formula, the conversation has ended there. When I have said ''breast'' I've had an essay in return. ''Oh you have all these benefits of breastfeeding'', ''How long are you planning to breastfeed'' etc etc. Honestly, unless I ask a question, why are you preaching to the choir?

All of the above just adds to the feeling that we are judged for our choices. Feed your child, or I will judge you. End of. How you feed your child, I quite frankly don't give a damn. :)

3
10 5

I breast fed our son for many years, but almost quit the first month because of lack of support, and the dumb samples they gave me from the hospital. I was very tempted to use it, but I ended up using it in our cooking, ha! I was very sore for the first month, but figured it out. :)

3
916 0

With my first he had horrible reflux and would throw up nearly all his feed and had only an hour break between feeds. We did this for 6 weeks until both of us were completely exhausted. We started him on reflux formula, problem solved.
With my second he didn't have reflux but was having 2hr breaks between feeds and seemed hungry after completely draining both sides with each feed. I breast fed him for 4months, when we changed to formula he was having a 250ml (8.5ounce) bottle per feed. No wonder I couldn't produce enough for him. His feeds then changed to 4 hourly with 10 hour sleeps at night. Before formula I thought sleeping through the night was 6 hours between feeds.
I hate this attitude that a woman will produce the amount of milk that a baby needs, supply meets demand, it's just not true. My nephew was hospitalised at a few months old because of severe malnutrition because well meaning dr's and nurses told my sister not to worry about her supply.

3
68 0

It was the 70's and my husband was worried the child might not get enough to eat , he also wanted to feed his Son . And his Daughter . It worked well he fed the children in the morning while I made his lunch and coffee.It also gave him time with His Children at a time when he did not get much time with them .

3
8 0

Before I had my daughter I told myself I was going to try to breastfeed for as long as I can. When I had her she did not latch on well at all. The nurses sent us home from the hospital saying that she would eventually get it. When we got home I tried for a couple of days but she never did any better. I started to pump and she did great drinking from a bottle. She had really bad reflux though and it seemed like she was spitting up more than she was drinking! Her pediatrician recommended giving her half breast milk and half formula but that didn't help. After about a month I started her on exclusively formula that is specially made for reflux. It help tremendously. I was sad but relieved. I was so tired of carrying my pump everywhere and I was SO engorged the whole time because I was over-producing. (It took me all of 2 minutes to pump two 8oz bottles!) I hope that our next baby will breastfeed better, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have to pump.

3
13 0

Wow, I didn't know there was a formula for reflux. I breastfed, although it was really hard for me because my daughter didn't latch properly (and I had a LOT of help), so I eventually just pumped. She had reflux, and that is so hard, too, because no one ever sleeps!

23 11

My child never took to it. She tried and did not want to be fed that way. I did not pressure her.

3
149 22

My son didnt latch on at all so I stopped trying after three days and went strictly bottle/formula. With my daughter I wasnt planning on doing it at all just because my son was difficult with it but while in the hosp my boobs hurt sooo damn bad that I wanted relief so I put her up n she took it no prob. So I bf her n formula fed her two months but I dried up so I went just formula.

13 0

I tried, but just couldnt supply the amount my hungry child required, also in the UK at the time (10 years ago) breast feeding, however much propaganda is put out there, just wasnt acceptable. I tried feeding my son discretely in a corner of a cafe, under a blanket - but still had a drink thrown over me and called some very vile names by an older man! My friend who was with me at the table had no idea I was feeding, so if she couldnt see there was NO WAY he could of! I left in tears and realised (after going to several other "baby friendly" places - that the only acceptable way was out of the way in the toilets - sorry not hygienic! Those 2 factors made me go to formula - although I tried for nearly 12 weeks to feed him.

2
0 6

omg. that is terrible!

107 20

i tried for 6 weeks with my son, b ut he never really figured out how to latch, and my BM made him very gassy and colicky. I realized after i switched to formula, that my milk was really thin, and the thicker, nutritional milk took a really long time to come. (reason for all the gas,and crying because he was probably still hungry). as soon as we switched to formula, he was much happier and started to gain weight really well. I feel bad that i wasn't able to do it longer, but it definitely was not working for us, and it was better in the end, to switch to formula.

2
113 19

I chose not to bf because my first daughter continued to lose weight after a month and was readmitted for failure to thrive and that's with regular follow-ups with the bf clinic. I chose not to bf my secon daughter because it was too hard to be tied to the baby with a four year old running around too. Both kids did better on the bottle.

2
8 81

WIth my first child, I breastfed just fine until she was 8 months. However, when our second baby was born, my first was 2.5 yrs old, and I had a REAL hard time trying to breastfeed the baby, while having to take care of a toddler. So I relate very much to your case. I only breastfed our second baby for a month, and even though I was a little sad, I realized that either I bottle fed him or I was just going to be exhausted and not have energy for baby nor daughter nor husband. Unlike with my daughter where I could sleep when she slept, with my son I couldn't rest because I had my daughter running around, so I hardly got any sleep and it just got me exhausted. He has done well on formula btw. :)

17 3

My first child was so hungry from birth that i am sure he would have sucked my nipple right off. He was always hungry and i tried and tried and tried and my milk didnt come in. 60ml expressded in one day was exciting when i had decided after two weeks to just express. I did that for a total of 6 weeks

Then with my next pregnancy i had twins, one child requiring surgery and time in the nicu and special care nursery. So i was expressing again, feeding, travelling etc. After 4 weeks of utter exhaustion i had my twins home and i was by myself feeding which would take up to 80minutes for both children that my son (2 1/2 year old) went out and went for a walk on the road.

Now i can get people to help, whoever they are.

2
4 28

If you can get through the first 3-6 weeks, which are definitely the most difficult, the rest is SO much easier! BF is the most natural thing in the universe.

44 43

With #1 I had little support, and was not informed. So I breastfed for 6 weeks and once a day for the next 2 months if that. With #2 my baby had a tongue tie and I didn't realize that it would be healthier and easier to clip than I thought. We had SO many problems at home with breastfeeding, but not so many in the hospital. I also didn't realize that LLL would more than likely be covered under my insurance... Silly me. With #3 I had a c-section and I was very stubborn about breastfeeding. Meaning there was NO WAY I wasn't going to. She had formula maybe twice in the hospital. I exclusively breastfed at home, until 4 months when my husband left me. I tried and tried to bfeed those 2 days, but I was not eating enough. We formula fed, and I bfed twice a day after that up till maybe 7months. I hate that. My girls are all very healthy and have rarely gotten sick. I think that is in part due to my immune system; ie. I get sick 2 times per year and that's it. #1 had 2 ear infection and impetigo once, #2 had 2 ear infections, and #3 had pneumonia and has bronchial asthma. Next child (if we have another) will be exclusively breastfed.

2
51 1

I commend your efforts. Does not sound like you had an easy time.

3 0

I initially was all for breastfeeding. My son was born a month early so when he was admitted to NICU in the hospital, he was away from me for two days. They provided me with a pump so they would take my colstrium to him when I would produce. Anyway, him being a month early, I was a bit concerned that his mouth was not strong enough to suck so I would pump and feed. After 4 weeks, just recently, I saw my milk began to reduce. I was pumping 3 ounces each breast and had tons saved in freezer. He went through the freezer stash, and started eating 4 ounces at times. I started to panic because I could only now pump 3 ounces between both breasts so I went to his pediatrician and asked for formula. Thank god I went to his doctor because that same day, I was down to 2 bottles and my electricity in my home went away for 6 hours due to a storm so I couldn't pump. Thankfully I had gone to his doctor for formula which he has been drinking now for 2 days and it has been smooth so far. Also, I felt as if I was chained to that pump. I couldn't go anywhere for more than 2 hours and if I did, he wouldn't have any more milk and that was stressing me out. I started to think about going back to work and then what would I leave my mother in law with to feed him? Than's my story and yes I feel a bit guilty but relieved in a way. I'm sure he'll still grow to be a smart, healthy and strong individual.

2
3 0

Pumping is wonderful but to maintain a good supply you need baby on your breast, idk why but you just do lol! I hope your next experience goes better, best wishes!

12 0

I respect anyone's decision to feed their child any way possible, I was a formula fed baby as I was adopted and I think I turned out pretty fine, but I must say, and this is just my experience of course, that breastfeeding my son is the best thing I have ever done. I am really comfortable with my body and I think that really helped, along with my boyfriend who has been extremely supportive. I found it to be incredibly easy, whenever he's hungry I just lift up my shirt and feed him. At night I sleep mostly naked anyway so I barely wake up take him out of his crib, feed him, and back to sleep we go..it takes all of 20 minutes. Also to me, the idea of feeding my son something intended for baby cow's just grosses me out. I will never judge any woman for formula feeding, but I urge all women to at least give it a try, and before doing so, make sure you have a lot of support, and try to become a little more comfortable with your body, and I think it makes it easier---if you don't have any preconceived taboos about breastfeeding, and just take it as normal...and don't doubt yourself--I know I spent a lot of time in the beginning agonizing over whether my son was getting enough...the weight gain will tell you

1
51 0

My breasts are HUGE! My son just wasn't able to latch on. Tired pumping and nothing came out.

1
10 0

She wouldn't take. I wanted to really bad, since I couldnt see her for the first 9 hours of life. That plus her not being able to breastfeed made it hard to connect at first, but now we can't get enough of each other and she's healthy as a horse!

1
1 50

I did not breast feed straight away due to awaiting to go to skin clinic for a mole on my breast, this was after discussion with several midwives ect. I then went to skin clinic on day 3 and was told it did not look like a nasty and to go home and breast feed. my little man had bottles for nearly a week he did not take to it appeared to feed well then not satisfied and this was child number 3 for me so lack of time and stress was an issue for me too.

1
0 0

Louise, I'm curious why the midwives told you not to breastfeed. From what I've heard, a woman with cancer can safely breastfeed as long as she's not undergoing treatments that might pass drugs to the baby. What were their concerns?