Why does my 4 month old only eat 2-3 ounces at a time?

Any ideas on why a 4 month old would only be eating small amounts at a time? Is there something I can do to help him eat more?

18 118

my daughter is turning 5 months on the 2nd of oct. and when she takes a bottle (shes breastfed) she will only drink 3 ounces

1
1

Maybe check the nipple? Maybe the nipple is too slow of a flow??

0
0 0

0
27 0

my sons 8 months old and he only eats 4 oz. at a time. sometime he wont even eat that. I thought he should be eatting more than that but the dr. said everything is ok. he is healthly and doing just fine. My niece who is going to be 1 on Thanksgiving eats 8 oz at time thats why i thought my son should be eatting more than that. When me & my BF took him to the dr they said it just depends on the baby cuz everyone is different.

0
61 28

As long as your baby is gaining and healthy I wouldn't worry about it. We are naturally wired to eat many 'meals' in small amounts throughout the day. If it becomes too much of a struggle, now may be a good time to start trying establish a schedule by waiting to feed; feeding at certain times of the day, every 4 hours or so. However, I don't believe it is necessary to do that...unless you need to. Talk to your pediatrition.

0
235 30

My son is a year old and only eats 4 ounces at a time. His speech pathologist said some babies have smaller stomachs than others and don't like the feeling of being overfilled. It's not so much how much at a time a baby is taking, but if their daily caloric intake is sufficient for consistent weight gain. Our NP said today that our son needs to have 900 calories a day to gain. He is only taking about 800 calories daily consistently. I agree with Crystal too. It's best for babies to eat every 3 hours and because they digest quickly they may not eat a lot at one time. As long as your baby is gaining weight though she is taking enough for her and I wouldn't worry about it. Now if she refuses to take anything for more than 5 hours as my son often does you need to speak with your pediatrician because there may be something else going on.

0
1 15

According to my pediatrician my 3 month old preemie should be eating 4-5 ounces every 3 no more than 4 hours....

0
1 39

Oh my... Seriously? The poor kids stomach isn't that big. You try to push him to eat more, he'll just spit it up (or just make him not feel well, kinda like when you overeat) I was told my son should only be taking 4oz (he's almost 5mo old) and was born two days after his due date. How early was your son born, if you don't mind me asking. His stomach is prob only the size of a 2mo old and if you're giving him preemie formula... That's more fattening, so prob gonna fill him up much quicker too. Have you also tried to Google it? I think 3-4oz sons like a bit much considering that's what my 4 1/2mo old takes. I'm not a doctor, I'm just going of of what my doctors and dieticians have told me. Though, if he's happy, healthy, and growing... I wouldn't recommend force feeding him because that's also one of the leading causes of obesity in children :o/ Again, I'm not a doctor, though I have studied lots about this from babysitting and preparing for my own child. I personally wouldn't worry too much, would possibly google some information about it, and maybe get a second opinion from another doctor. Just sounds like he's trying to tell you tio force feed him sweetie, but babies eat when they're hungry. Just surprises me... If that's what he's saying. (Sorry that came out a lil long... Hope I didn't come off rude at all either. I was in no way going for that)

1 39

I was actually told by a WIC dietician that I was feeding my 4mo son too much, that he should only be eating between 3-4oz. My son is a big boy (not overweight AT ALL), but if he's full, he doesn't eat. So, I dunno what her problem was, but he eats 4oz during the day, then takes 8oz at night (that's where she had the issue... At night) As long as he's gaining weight, happy, and healthy... I wouldn't worry about it too much sweetie. Are you concerned about him besides just not eating much? I'd say he just knows how tio pace himself if you have no other concerns. I'm sure you're doing a great job!!

0
1 39

Meant to say he's not overweight at all, just a very big, solid baby. Everyone thinks he's older than he really is.