Why does my child pull their own hair?

Some kids have a habit of pulling their own hair. How do you stop your child from continuing this habit?

2 20

My daughter does this. It's a compulsion and it has a name. It's called trichotillomania. You can find many answers at www.trich.org. The best way to get them to stop is to encourage them to use strategies that you have already determined work and reward the use of the strategy. You don't want to reward the "not pulling" but the use of the strategy. It doesn't always work. A child has to want to stop pulling before they will do it. You can't make them. It's heartbreaking, but if you try to control it, you will be met with much resistance.

1
1

my 6 yr old son has pulled all the back of his hair out. this is the 1st time is there a reason y?

0
0 0

my 8year old boy pulls hie eyelashers out and makes bald patches in his hair. Hes been doing this since he was four what do i do.I have taken him to the doctors they just thobed me of i dont know what to do can you help. He all so has behavioul problems thanks .

0
9 0

I used to do this when I was a child and all three of my girls do it. I did it because of stress but my daughters like to hide it and say they are getting old and it just falls out. One of my triplets pluck her eyelashes so she has like not one eyelash! I don't know the name but I am sure you can research it on the internet!

0
130 7

It is called Trichotillomania. I had it as a first grader. I also had it from the time that I was 16-23. I think that my 7 year old has a girlfriend who did it last year. I think that that girl's mother suffers from it. My son has a boy in his class who has it this year or did. My son said that the boy had to wear a hat to school. There is a woman who suffered from it who now counsels people with it. She sounds good to me, but maybe a little pricey. Her name is Abbey Rore and her phone # is 3035460788. She has books, counseling, group counseling...a website. The counseling can be done over the phone or Internet.

0
0 0

0
33 4

My son pulled out a patch of hair over a few weeks when he was about 6 or 7. I didn't notice at first but one day saw a bald patch on his crown about 4 cm wide. He had quite long floppy hair on top and it covered it up. I asked him if he knew why and he said he liked the ping sound and sensation it made when an individual hair was pulled out. I took a photo and showed him what it looked like. I think he was quite shocked. He kept pulling though so we decided to shave his hair really short which was hard because then there was no covering it up. One of his brothers teased him saying he looked like his Grandad but the other brother thought that was cool and wanted a shaved patch to be like Grandad (We didn't pursue this!) . Because the hair was so short he couldn't twist it to pull it, he got out of the habit. The hair grew back normally and we just shaved it once more to even it out before letting it grow again. Every now and again I check to make sure he's not doing it but it seems to have passed. It's been about 3 years since. I appreciate that it's easier to shave a boys head than a girls and we feel lucky that this was sorted out easily for us.

0
5 64

Another thing you might consider is dyslexia. Studies have shown that children with dyslexia will often play with and pull out their hair when concentrating on something. The cognitive part of their brain is so concentrated on the task at hand that the motor coordination part doesn't have enough brain power to control these movements.

0
6 3

I babysit for a toddler who tangles her fingers in her hair, then pulls it when she is upset. The more frustrated she is, the more she tangles & the harder she pulls. I am no expert, but I think she causes pain to herself to dull the frustration at hand. She doesnt yet know how to deal with her emotions. I hope it is something she outgrows. I'm not sure how to help her in the meantime.

0
2 21

Our pediatrician compared it to thumb sucking...some kids pull their hair as a method of calming themselves. I have triplets (2 girls, 1 boy). One of my girls has special needs, the other doesn't. They each have their own rooms. Both girls were plucking their hair out and eating it without knowledge of the others' habit. I was able to get the one to stop by putting a sock over her hand like a mitten when she was in bed. She could pull it off her hand, but we'd use tape or a snug (but not too tight) tie to keep it on. We also had a video monitor in her room, so if she was doing it in bed, we could see her, and go in there to remind her not to. Eventually, she kicked the habit. My other daughter was a different story! We weren't aware of the habit with her at first, because she did it when she was in bed, and didn't have a video monitor on her. She had to be old enough to understand how it looked to have missing hair (draw a picture of a child with hair, and one with hair missing and have them explain why the hairy one is better) and why it was dangerous to swallow hair before we could develop and incentive plan for her to stop. Try patience, open communication, monitoring, distraction, and positive reinforcement!!!
If your question is relating to a child pulling out of rage, I'm not really familiar, but would think it's just a nasty habit as well. I would think tactics used for tantrums would be more effective with that one. I hope this helps!!

0
2 32

There are reasons why children behave indifferently. One of which is the environment that they live in. If they see that pulling their hair will take off their stress most probably they such behavior. Second if they have behavioral problem in expressing themselves such manifestation will then be the result. Third if they have scalp irritation such thing will also trigger them to act that way.

0