Why is my 3 month old son losing his hair?

At 3 months old, you may see other babies' hair starting to grow in thicker, while your own baby's hair is starting to fall out! Is this normal and why is it happening?

10 16

My son was born with HEAPS of hair and at nearly 2 months it nearly all fell out except a small patch at the back and he looked terrible! He is now 7 1/2 months old and he could really do with a haircut..he has so much hair that people think he's 1! So don't stress.....it's all part of the cycle and it will grow back. :)

2
52 0

Having worked in a neonatal nursery, I have seen all sorts of heads come through the door. Some so bald that they could Grandpa a run for his money. And others with a head of hair so thick, they needed a haircut upon delivery. It is all part of the cycle and can be attributed hormones. Theirs and Moms. And also hereditary Genes play a part also. Stop worrying about something you have no control over. Just enjoy your new baby. And take plenty of pictures so you will have something to laugh at later.

1
11 17

Most notice hair falling out with babies who were born with hair. But there are several babies that don't have hair when they are born and you don't notice when they would "lose" hair. The more hair a baby have the more concerned parents get with the baby losing their hair. But you have to remember also, your baby grows & develops everyday. And unless you actually see hair falling out, your baby may not be losing hair but their head is growing faster than their hair is, making it appear that they are losing their hair. Babies will lose a little hair here & there but not enough to be concerned with. Normal process. :)

1
28 34

yes this is a normal process some babies it doesn't happen to while most it does if its a little or a lot. all my three did but grows back so dont stress with my first the midwives told me it change in the temp its a different and wgen tge rub their heads agains their mattress just like us when our hair does

1
5 9

does he have dead waxy skin too? It is probably cradle cap, happened to my little boy. Perfectly normal.

1
53 124

ya my youngest daughter has cradel cap as well but baby oil will loosen it right up and easily slide out but she doesnt have it as bad as she did at first for the first few months she is 7 months now

353 0

Our Daughter was about this age when hers fell out too. She was also a preemie so I contribute it falling out later due to that. It took a very long time for her hair to grow back, but darn if it didn't grow back thick and curly and a bush that had to be cut quite often.

0
32 24

Some babies just do. My daugher had a tuff of hair.. it wasnt' a lot, but it wasn't a little.. but then around 3 or 4 months.. it all fell out. We use to say she looked like Charlie Brown ! *lol* Then it started to grow back in..same color but if you can believe it curly like Shirley Temple.. it grew long and spiral curls and we just kept it long and then by the time she was 3 years old she started having headaches, so we trimmed an inch off her hair and boom! her hair went straight as can be !

Anyway, point is.. babies grow so much there is so much going on with their bodies. that their hair will do quite a few things the first couple years..

One more example.. my brother when he was born he had white blonde hair with tight curls.. his hair is now black and straight.. so again... you just don't know.

But your baby's hair will grow back.. I promise !

0
2 0

As a past midwife and working with babies, most babaies loose their "baby hair" around that time. Actually one of our daughters lost most of her hair at the back with just a little tuff at the front, then that went too. What happened after that was amazing. Her hair grew back so curly and thick. She hates to have her hair combed. So don,t fret it will grow back..even though texture might change a little.

0 0

0
45 6

let it grown he be blad soon enough LOL

0
72 9

because he is on his back too much. put him on his stomach more often.

0
32 17

My daughter was born with lots of dark hair that never fell out (though ppl kept warning me it would!). My 3 month son was born with not quite as much blonde hair, which is now falling out. He does have more hair growing in already as a short fuzz under what's left of the long hair. Still blonde though it looks lighter. I did notice his hair started coming out about the same time mine started...hormones! :P (I'm exclusively breastfeeding).

0
28 29

No need to be alarmed.The same happened with my son.He was born with alot of dark hair on his head and around the same age,or possibly a little later at 6 months old,it all fell out and grew back,blonde.He was bald,for a little while! He now has a head of very thick,blonde hair,at 7 years old.

0
53 124

both my daughters came out with alot of hair on their heads and i notice both of them went bald in the same spot in the back of their heads and it also happnes because they r always leaying on one side more the then other ot when the u ron a bouncer and wut ever else theymay lay on will make them bald as well untill they start to sit up on their own and keep themselves up or start crawling where their head isnt alway laying on something it till start to grow bk in

0