Would you celebrate your child's birthday on a holiday?

5 29

CERTAINLY! whatever day of the year, it is THEIR day, no matter what else goes on. In my family we have birthdays which fall on Christmas ( both Roman Catholic AND Russian Orthodox!) as well as many Russian holidays and American ones as well, such as Thanksgiving, the 4th of July. It only makes that day extra specially special!!

5
8 24

My son's friend growing up has a Christmas Day birthday. His mom would throw him a "Half-birthday" party in the summer. I smashing idea, I thought!

4
1 18

Both my children have a birthday two weeks before and two weeks after Christmas. It's always hard before Christmas and it always storms in January. I've asked my kids if we could move their birthday parties to the summer, but after 14 and 9 years, it hasn't happened yet.

4 10

Of course! my birthday falls on Thanksgiving every so many years, everytime that happened we did Thanksgiving meal as usual and then had birthday cake AND pie and then gifts. I would pick my favorite meal for another day. My dd's birthday is the day after mine-I don't think it will ever fall on Thanksgiving, but if it does we will do the same for her.

3
1 0

Of course! My birthday often falls on Mother's Day and my daughter's birthday sometimes falls on Thanksgiving Day. It's a great time for family gathering, and so we often made it special even when her birthday fell a day or two off.

2
1

I have my son's 1st birthday coming up next month.After losing him last October he had suffocated its been such a stressfull time and i hope we can deal with his special day. I have sml invitations for family n close friends a beach day for us..I just hope i am doing the right thing.

1
1 0

if it feels right to you then it is right. you are honoring your son with your family.

13 27

We do all the time. My daughter's birthday is New Year's Eve and we usually have her party New Year's Day since most people are off.

1
506 5

my brother has this with one of his daughters (he has 3) one of their birthdays is really close to christmas sho they never put the christmas things up untill after her birthday and they specificaly told everyone from the start that no presents if you were buying them had to be for both. they would rather she do without than for someone to say this is for birthday and christmas. they are seperate occasions and should be treated as such so that the child has his/her day and not just a holiday. the sibblings get their day so why not that one. a friend of mine had her son on christmas day. he gets up all excited cos santas been and the living room is all christmasy then after dinner the kitchen / dining room gets birthday banners and baloons up and he has his birthday in the afternoon. they do throw him a party later in teh holiday week though for his friends cos lets face it no one would come to a birthday party christmas day

1
7 6

My son will be 12 this Thanksgiving. It will be his second Thanksgiving birthday. Since we live in the UK, Thanksgiving isn't a holiday, but we celebrate it all the same. When a birthday happens to land on the day (mine is 2 days after my son's and sometimes is on Thanksgiving) the celebration is even bigger and better because there is more to be thankful for. Favourite dinners usually happen on the weekend after, but there is always cake on the day!

1
1,204 0

It depends. Sometimes it's nice to have your birthday be just your birthday. Other times it can be a lot of fun to have a combined event. I know kids with New Year's birthday who hated having a holiday birthday when they were little, but loved having a big New Year's Eve birthday party when they were teens. I understand not wanting your birthday to be overshadowed by Christmas, but at the same time I'm known older kids who asked if they could combine their birthday and Christmas gifts so they could justify a really large gift instead of two smaller things they didn't really want. The important thing is to take it on a case by case basis and to respect the feelings of the child.

0
7 23

My daughter's birthday fell on Thanksgiving this year and we still celebrated her birthday.

0
19 0

I dunno, his birthday falls in between Christmas and New Years, and I wanted him to have his own day, separate from those, and they are. I just hope that we don't have a problem with holding his parties during that time, friend-wise. I don't quite know, I think I would simply because their birth would've made that holiday all the more special, ya know? Though I just think about his friends, would they want to / be allowed to come to his party, if celebrated on said holiday? Perhaps we'd do something just family, then pick a day separate for friends? It is something to think about. ~)O(~

0
1 18

With family yes, but with friends, I would move it to another weekend.

0
0 6

My daughters birthday is in the middle of the South African june holidays. We have a party on her birthday and when the schools start we have another party for the school friends. Two parties for a 6 year old is great stuff..Why not have a party on her special day?

0
0 0

My birthday is on Christmas, so I know first hand about holidays and birthdays. My family was WONDERFUL when it came to my birthday. We had Christmas in the morning, went to Grandma's house...had Christmas there and then the traditional huge family lunch..then celebrated my birthday late afternoon (complete with a birthday cake and birthday presents wrapped in birthday paper). I never felt slighted, just extra special to share a birthday with Jesus!! On a funny note, when I was a child I asked my Grandma if they put up lights because it was my birthday. Of course she said yes!! :)

0
76 32

urm, yeah, why wouldn't you. Just because its a holiday doesn't mean it cant be their birthday!

0
3 17

Not only would I but I have many years. My youngest daughter is born right around Thanksgiving. Most of our Family live out of state so we would celebrate Thanksgiving dinner I would clear the table and decorate for her Birthday. Great and wonderful memories

0
6 16

It really isn't a problem. We have a ds whose birthday is on the 4th of July and when he was little thought it was neat that he shared America's birthday.

Another son often has his fall on Mother's Day, but for both of them we just make it special for them.

Our middle son was born on Columbus day - not a big holiday, but he liked the fact that every so often he got out of school on his birthday.

It isn't about when, it's about the love you show them.

0
1 0

My birthday is on St. Patty's Day March 17th. Not one of the BIG holidays but still a holiday. When I was growing up it was my birthday that made my family celibrate the Holiday but of course my birthday theme was always Shamrocks, Leprechons and everything green. I LOVED IT! It made the holiday MINE. It was always a ton of fun to dress in everything green and Irish and I got to go overboard for a holiday that some people forget just becasue its not one of the big ones. It was my choice and I made the most of it. I'd say to let your child decide when they are old enough. If its one of the BIG gift holidays they may want to celebrate at the half year (as someone suggested,) just get mores stuff...Others may be like me and make the holiday their own special theme. Its their day. Let them choose.

0
4 9

We celebrate birthdays when ever the day falls !!!

0
27 0

I think if my child had a birthday on a holiday it would make it double special but I would still have a party that was separate :)

0
61 0

My nephew was born on Christmas day, and we celebrated his birthday on the next day, per his request starting when he was about 6 years old. Unfornuately this year we will be celebrating it without him, he was killed in a car accident this last year. He was 16, and his death was on my son's birthday. So we now will celebrate his birthday without him and my son will decide if he wants to celebrate his birthday on his day, or the next. My duaghter-in-law celebrates her birthday on Thanksgiving some years and we enjoy doing that. She says that it is great to have a big meal on her birthday some years. LOL

0
11 8

I would do something special for my child, on their birthday, separate from the holiday. But perhaps a party could be held a different day.

0
12 0

I AM A MOTHER OF 4 , AND I KNOW HOLIDAYS ARE VERY SPECIAL AS I CELEBRATE THEM ALL ,BUT I WOULD PROBABLY SING HAPPY BDAY AND HAVE A CAKE THAT DAY BUT HAVE A PARTY PRIOR TO THAT . eVERY CHILD WANTS A THEMED PARTY AND REALLY ITS NOT LIKE WE ALWAYS HAVE PARTIES THE DAY OF THE ACTUAL BDAY.