Would you let your child dye his or her hair?

What age do you think it is okay to let your child try dying their hair?

25 13

As far as I am concerned, it is only hair. I let my son wear a mow-hawk, he uses colored gels to spike it up. He has done it since the first grade. He has tried many hair styles. Now he wants to dye his hair purple for the swim team color. I told him I would dye it if he fixes it everyday. We will see what he decides to do.
You have to choose your battles, and hair grows back.

33
0 20

I coudn't agree more. My son has done the same regarding hockey. My daugher is going on 13 and wanted to dye her hair, so I did it for her. Its not permanent, and will grow out. You have to let your kids express themselves in order for them to "find themselves" so to speak. Its all a learning curve, for us as parents and our ever growing children.

6 1

When they are no longer children and have a great paying job.

28
0 0

I don't think in this day and age that is a resonable response. Is it such a big deal if they want a few highlights, that THEY can pay for (from a $6 bottle)? My rule is make exceptional grades, and I require A's as long as you are able to make them, and then hair is not a big deal. I pick my battles and hair changes and grows back!

3 0

I don't think that a child should dye their hair until after puberty. Introducing chemicals prior to this time may lead to permanent damage of the hair follicle. I am not a professional and cannot attest to this being a 100% occurrence; but why risk it?

Now if there is some overriding social need that outweighs the risk I have mentioned above, then go for it. But as with all parental decisions, it should be made with careful thought based on the individual needs of your child and not based on what "Susie's Mom" lets her do.

16
0 20

It is absolutely not true, I am a prfessional, and anything you do to your hair cannot affect how it will grow out. The only thing that can change that is if your scalp is severly burned by a chemical, and hair color, whether in-salon, or OTC is not strong enough to do that.

4 3

I don't want to let my daughter dye her hair at all, she's such a beautiful natural blonde. But that would be hypocritical since I've been dyeing mine for over three years now. I will, however, make her wait until she's old enough to handle most of the mess herself, so likely not until her high school years. Beyond my 'but your pretty hair!' reaction, it seems silly to prevent it. Even the funky colors! Green, blue, purple, why not? It grows back, and as long as she school has no ridiculous dress code against unnatural colors, it's their chance to get it out of their systems. The kid is the one who has to live with the reactions, not me. If I am unfazed by Transformers tees and rose petal tutus worn together in public, why would purple or green hair bother me?

15
9 58

My daughter is 14 and just started her freshman yr in HS....she wants to dye her hair green and blue.....and I was thinking along the same lines as you and will prob let her do it.

1 0

Im a hairdresser and will let my girls have a subtle change when they are 13. A few highlights etc.. a good alternative is hair extensions as they come in every colour and dont damage the hair! If my girls want crazy colours then extensions it is.

11
34 97

What a great idea, I had never thought of that.

0 0

I believe this is an absolute personal decision based upon the parent's feelings regarding hair dye as well as the relationship and maturity of the child - not to mention the reasoning for the child wanting to dye his or her hair in the first place. If a child is brunette and wants to be blonde and beautiful, for example, I would personally make them wait until they are 14 or 15 - changing yourself to 'be beautiful' is never really acceptable. At such a young age, we should be helping our children learn that they are beautiful and to find the positive aspects of themselves rather than helping them change them. As an eco-friendly mom, I'm also fairly against using chemicals on my child's head. I say 'fairly' because I actually do dye my hair (back to it's former bright shade, as it grows in a darker auburn now) and I am not a 'do as I say, not as I do' type of person.
That being said, if the child simply wants to dye their hair for the fun of it - spirit day or bright streaks for the summer, etc. - there are many healthy stains available that can be used in place of hair dye. My daughter went through a phase where she loved pink so much she even wanted pink hair, so I allowed her to have a pink streak on each side of her face. The 'dye' was natural, but lasted 6-8 weeks, and was in a location where it could either be seen or covered up. She was ecstatic - her hair matched everything she owned. It was done just for the fun of it. We also naturally lightened her hair this summer using honey and lemon while she was out in the sun. It took her natural shade of dark blonde and brought out her already natural streaks a bit, much like the sun itself can do if you don't mind being in the sun too much.
I pick my battles. Hair is not a battle I'm willing to fight - she can have her hair cut how she likes and I'm accepting of her wanting to play around with the color. So long as she does it in a safe, fun way and not to make herself 'pretty', and doesn't use nasty chemicals in the process, I'm fairly approving.

9
0 20

This is exactly what I was thinking, but I couldnt have said it better! My daughter is 12 and she has friends who do outrageous things just because someone else did it. (dress provocatively, dye hair wild and bold unatural looking colors, and pierce various parts of their bodies, etc.) I dont approve of these things for my daughter, especially for that reasoning. Kids of this age are incapable of knowing what is truly good for them or what may cause them harm. They make decisions impulsively and still need guidance, not being overbearing, just guidance. When we feel it is the right time for our daughter, we will strongly ENCOURAGE beautiful, natural highlights or lowlights that enhance her beauty versus make her look like a clown.

0 0

I think that kids today grow up too fast, as it is. I wouldn't let my kids dye their har until they were "adults" and able to care and pay for it themselves. If we continue to go on the premise that these types of things are better than others (i.e. tatoos, piercings), then I think we are not doing our jobs as parents and making the tough decisions.

8
1 0

I payed for the bleach kit and purple a few days ago with my allowence... Is that what you mean? I'm a good girl don't worry...

9 18

All the negative people on here going on about chemicals are not too smart. WHAT do you think your kid is breathing????????? There are more chemicals taken in one breath from a city than there would be from months of dying hair. LOL

8
25 13

Agreed! I feel some people like to use that as an excuse.

7 26

I feel that a child should be making her own decisions when she decides to dye her hair. In other words, be of age. A 16 year old with dyed hair looks ridiculous in my opinion. I know some moms will disagree with me, but children look best with their natural color and hair dye is toxic. It strips and dries out the hair, and makes it less healthy. Why mess with what God created?

8
0 5

but why not let them have fun when they can? as I told my daughter, it will become socially unacceptable once you look for work.

0 21

As long as they live in my house, they will not be permitted to dye their hair. The kids are already to grown; hair color, body piercing and tota disregard for adults, etc!!!! Why add insult to injury????
Each house hold is different and therefore should be handled based upon the parent(s) perspective. I just do not think it is a good idea!!!

7
1 27

my girls are 5 and 6 i just dyed their hair....i however didn't strip it like the package suggested........it should stay in for a month or two......they also have washable hair dye..........and the koolaid method works well too

7
0 0

i wish my mom was like you

1 8

I think I'm in the minority here. While our kids (13, 8 & 4) have not asked to do it, we wouldn't allow it until at least high school, and we definitely wouldn't allow any unnatural colors (green, blue, purple, pink, etc). I understand that kids are "finding" themselves, and I agree, hair is just hair. It grows out. But the statement it makes is not one I want my children sending to others. I want them to be happy and shine with their natural beauty and personality. In my opinion, expressing themselves with things like piercings, tattoos and colored hair is not "expressing", it's a scream for attention. I want them to learn that they are perfect exactly they are. Some people will love them for it, and others will pay no mind. One does not need to be noticed by everyone to be important. That doesn't mean I don't think there are plenty of happy, well-rounded, successful people who are tatted-up or have a pink mohawk. But like it or not, people will judge a book by its cover. And green hair is not the cover I want for my children. If they grow up and become a rock star, then they can have green hair. Until then, they will stick to natural colors.

6
0 8

couldnt agree more

0 0

I got my first highlights when I was fourteen and dyed all my hair when I was 17. I was the one who had to live with the consequences if I didn't like it. I am now 22 and have since dyed my hair a few times (once pink). Likewise, my brothers used to use the colored hair gel when they were children and loved it. My mom always told me that I was beautiful no matter what I did to my outward appearance but it was more important that my inside (the way I behaved and treated others) was beautiful. I applied that to my life. Obviously you need to inform children that people do make snap judgments based you on the way you look and you need to be smart about the decisions to alter your appearance but letting kids have a little fun with coloring their hair is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

6
0 20

My daughter is 12 and she has friends who do outrageous things just because someone else did it. (dress provocatively, dye hair wild and bold unatural looking colors, and pierce various parts of their bodies, etc.) I dont approve of these things for my daughter, especially for that reasoning. Kids of this age are incapable of knowing what is truly good for them or what may cause them harm. They make decisions impulsively and still need guidance, not being overbearing, just guidance. When we feel it is the right time for our daughter (when she can make choices for herself and explain that she wants to express herself, enhance herself, whatever), we will strongly ENCOURAGE beautiful, natural highlights or lowlights that enhance her beauty versus make her look like a clown. The major point for our household is to think things through before doing them. what are the reasons and why do you want to do it?

5
1 0

At one point I wanted black and pink hair. Because I saw a picture of a girl with it. I thought the colours looked nice. I wanted to test it so I went black and liked it enough where I forgot about the pink. But what I'm saying is it don't mater where they get the impedance it's about what they say about it in all.

0 20

i have 2 girls the ages of 11yr old and a 13 going on 14. I've been asked from them if they can color their hair, my answer is no. I told them they don't need it, unless they have gray hair. Which at this point they do not have gray hair. They go to a Catholic school and it seems like that school accepts some of the hair coloring, nail polish and lightly makeup. Now they have the wash on coloring on the hair and I'm still not a fan of any kind of coloring for my girls. I've told them that will just make one look like they are trouble and I know for a fact not all kids are trouble makers. But that's just me. So i told them when you are 18 and out of the house, then you can do whatever you want, cause you are not under my roof.

4
1 0

I'm trouble. Purple hair has it written right on it. Hormone raged pre-teen who don't talk much sits watches dbz does tawando and sketches anime all day... I'm trouble for people who are annoyed by geeks :D

0 0

As the daughter of a cosmetologist I'm probably far more liberal than most. My mother let me start dying my hair when I was 13 and I turned out alright. It's just hair dye, not a tattoo or anything truly permanent.

4
0 0

i want to get my hair dyed when i 13 in February what tips do you have me?? I want a black then a little blue across the front

5 22

MY mother would not let me dye mine till i turned 18. I did as soon as I turned 18 and now i wish I never did it .Dying your hair really is not good for it and you learn that when you get older.

4
3 0

If they are over the age of 12, yep, LET THEM DYE THEIR HAIR! My son had blue hair for Grades 9, 10, and 11. I even helped him with the dying, because he needed a two-process dye (bleach + color) to achieve his various combinations, usually indigo, purple and aqua. In Grade 12 he began to fade it out. He is now at university, ran his own business during the summer and is still thinking of returning to coloured hair! Clearly, he was not harmed by the experience. If your child is determined to do it, help them and assist them to ensure that the color is clear, crisp and attractive. It's hard to start down that road, as a parent, but if you have raised a good child, hair color is a sideshow.

3
0 0

i,m glad you agree cause i will be 13 in February and i want to dye my hair

0 0

18

2
2 6

I think once a kid gets to be school age, it would be ok to try temporary color like the streaks. Make sure though that their school has no problem with that and if the school does have rules on color--then let them do their hair during summer or even like spring break.

2
1 11

Prob. Not until he/or she was 16.

1
0 22

I let my daughter get colored highlights, maybe 6 foils or so in Kindergarten, she is now is 4th grade and has had purple, blue and some blonde highlights this last summer. It'll grow out and its fun for her!! I say go for it

1
0 8

Yes! Let them do it. Now is the only time they wont have someone from HR telling them no. I had to wait till I was 42 and on disability before i could color my hair purple. My mom always said no, then my job, then my husband. It took that long to finally be free and it felt so good!! Let them be free when they are suppossed to be. Before the world comes down and puts restrictions on their lives.

1
0 8

And I say any age. But after they ask, make them wait 6 months. If they ask again, then you knoe=w they really want it.

5 0

Until we know for sure if hair dyes are safe, let them dye strips which allows them to be creative but not apply the dye to their scalp. Remember, if they have any cuts in their scalps, 1/2 hour of hair dye will be absorbed into their blood stream. When you breathe dye fumes, air is filtered of toxins in the lungs but if it enters through a cut, well it is in circulation immediately!

1
0 20

All of what you said might have been slightly true about 50 years ago. There have been many changes in hair color chemicals since then.

13 9

My daughter is 10 and has dark brown hair and she badly wants to dye it with pink highlights, and while i think it would be an awesome idea cause i believe they should be able to express themselves this would require her hair to be stripped down first and that i am not ok with...when she starts high school and can be responsible for it then i say go for it!

1
0 12

My daughter is also 10, and although I wasn't sure of it at first, my husband and I decided it's not a permanent thing. She had been wanting her hair dip dyed, (where only the bottom few inches are dyed). I took her to the hairdressers today, and must admit it's beautiful. She has fair hair and has red violet colour around the bottom 3 - 4 inches. It will fade in about eight weeks, or can easily be cut out.

0 0

Here's from a 12 year old girl's perspective: I used to give my parents the excuse that "I wanted to express myself" with dying my hair, but then I realized that no, it's not the reason. You can't express yourself with your hair, because when in puberty you don't know who you are. Maybe you think you do, but then the next year you're someone else. I first weren't allowed to dye my hair and to be honest, I really can understand my parents. But since you're not teenagers in this generation you don't understand what it is like. I recently asked my mom if I could dye my hair pink and she said no directly. But then I gave her the reasons that I really want to test something new, I want to be my own person, and she went for it. But it could be good to only die the tips, because you maybe don’t like the color, so you can cut it off.
What I’m trying to say: Let your kids be creative. After all, it’s their own body and I promise you, that your kid will appreciate that so much. :)

0
0 0

well i,m not a mom i,m in middle school and i,m 12 and i want to get my hair dyed when i turn 13 in February but my mom isn't so easy but i,m in middle and will be 13 soon so i ask what should i do to get my mom to say yes!

0
0 0

I don't think there is a certain age... unless they are younger than like 7 because they don't know what type of colors are natural and will look good. They probably would want a really bright pink or a blue or purple. Anyway I am 10 in 5th grade and i will turn 11 in two months. I got my hair dyed this year in may and i got a red streak which is permanent and has not faded out yet. it is now a type of reddish-orange type of color.

0
43 0

My daughters school doesn't allow unnatural colors anyway, but if she wanted to dye it to a natural color, I would probably ask her why. Is it that she feels bullied or not good enough? Does she not like her natural color (could also be that she doesn't like her body)? Or is it just because? I would solve/remedy the first two, and probably say not till your 18 on the last one. We got her hair chalk, but dyeing is just not us... I want her to accept herself.

0
32 12

My Daughter is 10 and she has had her hair died many times and many different colours....Its only hair... you cut it off and it grows back

0
1

I am a hair dresserand for mi kids I say no until their adults and they can make the decision for themselves.Hair coloring in the long run makes you turn gray faster and eventually losing the thickness of the hair.

0
3 31

I have two sons. My 9 year old keeps his hair cut high and tight, while my 6 year old has a blue mohawk. My 9 year old tried out a mohawk when he was around 4 and decided that it wasn't for him. My 6 year old has had a mohawk since he was 2, and it's pretty much been every color under the sun. I don't see anything wrong with letting them express themselves in impermanent ways. If you use straight pigment, and let it sit, it won't actually penetrate the hair shaft, and will eventually fade out (even faster when helped along with a clarifying shampoo.) I say let them have fun while they're kids, before they grow up and have to look like everyone else...

0
4 0

Well my mother has been a hairstylist for about 25yrs. I was 13 when she first dyed my hair. But I believe it's up to the parent if they think they are ready for there child to color there hair. That's just my opinion.

0
1 4

yes you can let a kid dye their hair

0
0 11

I think it just depends on what your child would like to do with their hair. That being said I don't believe a 5 year old knows what they want to do with thier hair. My son (11) is only allowed to have a mow-hawk and color his hair durring summer vacation. I personally never colored my hair until I was 23 years old. I would have to say I have no intention on letting any of my daughters color their hair until I believe they are old enough and mature enough to make that desision.

0
0 0

Well after reading so many say "it's fun" "why not?" "it grows back" etc, I am really not surprised. Our society seems to be forgetting that we are not supposed to be best friend's with our kids, we are supposed to be their parents. I'm not sure why so many think it's great to allow young kids the chance to dye their hair, but the reality is by giving in to every little whim that your kids have, you will find that you have lost control when they are older. I have friends who are now in the position of "omg, I can't WAIT until my kid is out of the house….he/she is driving me crazy!" I am a mom of 3 boys…all three make me proud. They are respectful, intelligent, fun to be around, social…and none of them ever even asked to do something weird to their hair. They are very involved in sports, yet they never asked to dye their hair a goofy color. I have a friend who's daughter decided about 4 years ago to dye her hair pink on one side, and black on the other. I'm sure some of you would think "wow, good for her" but the reality is she is treated differently by the kids at school. It is a choice she made…but you can't expect everyone to think that outward appearances don't matter. It may be unfortunate, but they DO MATTER. And more importantly, showing respect goes a LONG way. So for those who think that dying their hair all sorts of weird colors is cool, I will continue to believe that highlights are okay, but dying it an outrageous color is just a shout out to say that you a person "dying" for attention.

0
0 0

Oh I was (and still am inside) a punk in the 80's... I leaped at the chance to dye my girls hair blue! Her brother was born with a natural Mohawk and I kep it cut that way for a couple years. It's the only time in their life that they can do such fun things with their appearance. I said i'd never go all domestic but I would feel rather stupid to dress now the way I did.

0
0 0

i think it depends on the types of dye. Things with ammonia in it(permanent dye) i would say highschool. but semi/demi permanent isnt too big of a deal and can be for fun or to try new colors out

0
0 0

I think it is wrong to allow children to colour their hair it not only exposes them to chemicals of that nature unnecessarily at a young age but sends them strong messages that they need to artificially change their looks to fit in, be excepted or feel beautiful! They are beautiful the way they are and their hair is shiny and healthy till they are allowed to colour it. I have three girls and I have told them all while they are under my care I intend to look out for their best interest the best way I can. Once they are 18 and responsible for themselves they can make their own life choices.

0