Yea or nay: Checking your kids' homework?

We all want our children to succeed, but is it necessary to check your children's homework every night? Or should you just do it when a parent signature is required, or if your child has brought home a less-than-satisfactory response? When is it okay to just trust that your kids are getting their work done to the best of their abilities?

3 5

Absolutely. I think it helps to ensure they are understanding the material and shows you have an interest in what they are doing. Also,it is nice to have some time without tv or activity to check in with them.

9
10 2

I have six children. Some would do their homework down to the last detail and then some. Some would do only what was absolutely required. Some would rather have a root canal. Some do all their homework and then never turn it in. We have regular homework time around the dining/kitchen table where they can work on their homework, help each other and discuss what they are learning. I provide snacks and supervision. Help when asked. Each child excels in different subjects and the group study allows them to use those strengths to help each other. The older children tutor the younger because it reinforces what they have already learned. Often there are arguments, complaints and tears. However, my children are learning that everyone has their strengths and challenges. They are learning to be patient with each other (and definitely me with them).

I may or may not check their homework everyday, but I do check it regularly just so I know what they are doing. I tell my children that the most important thing about school is not what grade you get but that you did your best and learned something. I hope that they are learning good study skills should they decide to go on to college and enough self discipline to help them get through life. As a parent that is all we can do, teach them the skills they will need and hope that they apply them.

8
7 20

Yes and no. I've always checked my kids homework and a couple of months ago I decided leave them alone for a couple of weeks to see how they do on their own. To see if they really are understanding the work or if I'm carrying them through school. My third graders grades stayed the same and my fifth graders dropped. It seems it's good to check their work but be careful how you are doing it. Make sure they understand it and can do it on their own but don't help too much or they'll just start depending on you too much. They also need to learn their own way of doing homework and studying. If you are constantly helping them do this they will be slow to become independent or worse they won't become independent at all!

5
2 18

Well that's what I thought when my son was younger, now he is 14 years old i decided to check his homework everyday because he lies about it, most of the time...nah.i don't have any homework. If he doesn't do it I take away what he likes the most, play station, computer

4
14 1

o absolutely yes! especially when one's child has a techno gismo happy teachers... in this environment, NOTHING is taught... just surfing websites... one must be on top of children's reading writing, and mathematics homework... and yes, one must teach correct spelling of words and ideal penmanship... writing by hand stimulate one's critical thinking skill.... so happy parenting... let's hit the books together! as you check your kids' homework every night, you will be aware of the child's strength and weaknesses... and improve their grades gradually... less stress at teacher-parent conferences....

3
1 11

Definitely check it! My oldest is 11 and just last night I checked his advanced math homework and he did half of his math homework wrong. If I didn't check it he would have failed that paper and numerous others. He just needed a little more explanation as to how to get the answer. How are you supposed to really know if your child is understanding the material? It is also a great opportunity for one on one time and some great conversations. :)

3
0 9

As a teacher and a parent, I would say that parents should check their child's homework. However, be careful how you are checking it. Don't give answers, but definitely try to explain it. If you don't understand the assignment, then please email your teacher!

2
2 21

Definately check their agenda to see what they have been assigned for HW. My daughter is in grade 5, it is a very useful tool to communicate with the Teacher as well, and if you stay on top of it, you can assist your child in building skills that will carry forward into adulthood. I do not believe in doing the HW for my child, if I can assist by showing or explaining a concept then I do, if she still does not grasp the concept and cannot draw her own conclusion or answer, then I send her back to her teacher to ask for additional explanation in order to understand her work, ultimately, I will not be there with her to hold her hand during tests. I also insist on reading for a half hour each and every evening, as strong reading skills as essential.

2
18 10

I do check it. I don't make corrections, but I check it.

One of the boys gets homework on a Friday that is due on Tuesday - generally a literacy and a numeracy assignment.

The other gets an assignment page with assignments in literacy, numeracy, and sometimes science. That is due 2 weeks later. Since he is younger, I check his work more closely to make sure he has followed directions. I also make notes on the paper detailing for him what work he should do each day.

As part of their literacy both boys are supposed to do reading each day. They have reading books listing what books they have been given which I am supposed to note and sign each night. I will ask the boys to give me a review of the book, or have them write a review in the notes first, then initial it.

2
5 6

Absolutely, I check my kids' homework. They complete it on their own and then I check it for neatness, following directions and correct application. If not, they erase and redo. Parents are a child's first teacher and we need to reinforce what is learned in the classroom. If he is doing it wrong, I don't tell him the answer but do my best to explain or reteach the concept. So far, so good! :)

1
0 13

I have 2 boys in school right now. The rule is, as soon as you get off the bus, its homework time. My oldest doesn't fight at all about it. He does all of his work and then goes about the rest of his day. And his grades prove to me that he knows what hes doing (he maintains an A-B average). My youngest however will lie about his school work. I trusted him to finish it but then I started getting letters from the teacher stating he was not completing his work. And his grades were starting to suffer because of it. The last 2 years he was a straight A student but this year his grades have dropped. So now, every day when he gets home, I have to check his backpack before he heads to his room with it. I hate doing it because I'm admitting I don't trust him. But after being caught hiding the work so he doesn't have to do it, I don't have an option. I have tried taking his favorite things from him, but that has not worked. He goes right back to lying.

In conclusion, my opinion is........it all depends on the child and their ability to grasp what they are learning. If the child knows exactly what their doing or speaks up when they need help, then I don't see why homework should be checked. However, if the child lies about the school work or rushes through it without making an honest effort and you can see it in their grades, then yes their work should be checked before they are considered to be done. Again, this is my opinion and every parent has a different set of rules in their home.

1
0 12

I give my 2nd graders homework a little once over, but I'm not going to change any of her work, bc I know I know how to do it, but does she?? Plus her teacher is amazing, and would let her and me know if she wasn't doing something right. If she asks for help, Of course I'll help a bit, but I WON'T do it for her.

1
4 72

As an adult who hasn't yet finished their education (grade 12) I really now understand why my mom used to make me buckle down and not go play till ALL my homework was done no mater what even if it was an easy test or the hardest test ever. And you know with me having gone back to school i really really wish i can get an agenda so then i can tangebly see when i have stuff due and what is completed. So yes I would say Yea for checking my children's hw. as then this way they have a better chance at their schooling than i did

1
1 100

i think that kids homework should be checked by a parent or a responsible adult. I check my sons homework everynight, guarantee he is only in first grade, but he is getting a's and b's. I had my homework checked when i was in school by my parents and it didnt hurt me.

1
1 100

i also agree with the comment below that you need to let them do it themselves, that way they know how to do it.

0 1

Every day the child's back pack should be checked, go through it with them see what they need what they don't need & the Agenda the school gives is GOLDEN so we know what's due & when.. Successful & works in our home.. I have an A-B student.. We're VERY PROUD!

1
16 18

I do think it depend on the child and the age of the child. When I check my child's home work I don't always correct it. I want to make sure he understands what he is doing or know that he maybe having trouble with a subject. He appreciates me just being there to help him if he need it.

1
7 0

I checked my sons' homework until they were in 7th grade. At that point, I told them that they were old enough to be seriously invested in their education, and that they should feel responsible for their learning and want to do well.

0
18 0

I believe in it until they are in High School. Then it's time to teach them to responsible for themselves. We won't be there to check if there homework is done in college or if there work is adequate for their boss at their first job if they go straight into the workforce.

0
0 0

i check my childrens homework once a week. everyday i remind them to do it though :)

0
21 0

No because it can seem like you don't trust them to the child.

0
0 0

I'm a guy, but not a dad of a school aged child. I myself was raised very strictly and my homework was being checked by my dad for about 30+ minutes every night while I was in my early grades. My dad sometimes would place a watch next to me and tell me I got 12 minutes to solve the math formula (at age of ~7-9) or I would get belted badly. Guess what? All I did was watch the minutes flow by and was unable to concentrate to resolve the formula. Then I would take the belting and my butt would have "sausages" on it from extensive belting. The math remained my most hated subject in school as I was frequently belted. Never learned anything. Even if my grandfather was paying for after-school teachers for my math lessons, I learned zero, zilch, nada. All those years. So when I was 10 my father died and my grandfather took over at request of our dad. My grandfather was more thorough with checking my homework. It wasn't checking, it was multi examination experience every single night for 4 to 6 hours. Once he came back after work at around 5 to 6 PM, the grandfather would check my homework and examine me every single night until 10-11 PM. So after school I had to do my home work from say 3 PM to 6 PM, then another 5 hours of "exams". And so for many years. After I graduated the high school, my grandfather wanted to also check my University homework, but I said "no, thanks". Did I graduate? No. I hated anything to do with exams. I quit. I didn't even pursue my favorite career. I was exhausted. I do not recommend checking child's homework, especially for many hours. Let the child be self-sufficient. Let them fail and pick up from there. You may help the child if they ask you or you may inquire about their grades or even check for a second what they're doing, but NEVER expose your child to examination stripping them of their childhood. Some guys would "revenge" to their own kids what they've been done to; I wouldn't. I would let my kids be independent in doing their home works.

0
0 0

Parents! Please do not torture your kids with homework examination. Yet in the USA the kids are so entitled and out of control. You need to find a golden middle in your child's education.

1

0
10 0

my best friend's sister-in-law makes $64/hour on the internet. She has been fired from work for 8 months but last month her pay check was $18293 just working on the internet for a few hours. Here's the site to read more...www.Rush64.ℂℴm

1 0

I always check my daughters homework, because I like to make sure she gets a good understanding of what she's learning.

0
1 0

yes without fail

0
0 0

Oh my ! all those parents that think it's best for their children to check everything just makes me sick. how would you feel when someone checks everything you do ? Your children believe they don't even trust you and that can really damage their thoughts about you all. just really sad, because my parents do it too and I don't even want to live here like this anymore ;) think about what the fuck you are doing to your kid. eventually they probably don't like you anymore and be like, 'i'm doing everything you want am i not good enough for you?' cause that's what i feel like.

0
18 6

It depends on the age of the child. Mine is only starting first grade. I make sure to find out what his homework is, and sit down at the table with him. I don't do the work for him, but I do make sure he reads and understands the directions. As he gets older, he may be able to do more independently, but I will still make sure he is doing it daily. I remember my mother sitting with me and quizzing me for history tests and proof reading my term papers in high school. Participating shows that you put a value on what they are doing, just be sure you are making them think and not giving them the answers.

0
103 25

I am in Australia and I have 1 child in prep whose homework is all mum involved. Also 1 in the last year of primary school and yes I still check his homework and will say either yes your homework is correct well done or no this question or that is wrong and then we will discuss why it is wrong. If it is a math question question I will make up another question using similar principles and we sit down and go through that so he understands where he went wrong and making sure he understands every step of the process involved to solve the problem. Then he will go back and correct the incorrect questions. If he is unsure of what he needs to do he knows he can come and ask and I will help him understand what is required but i refuse to do it for him

0
0 15

absolutely - I check it every night.. That way, my son and I are on the same page.. and if I feel that there are any problems - I can contact his teacher and we are able to talk about it.

0
440 0

Yes, parents should. It helps to ensure on all parts(parents teacher and child) that everyone is doing thier part. I like being a part of childrens education and making sure what they were taught in school is being absoorbed. Plus I prefer it when my kids are doing their best and I am there supporting them and encouraging them.

0
0 17

I don't really think any specific one of these responses is necessarily better than the other. I think it all depends on your child or children and how they do in school. I have 2 daughters (age 9 & 10, 4th & 5th grade) and up until the middle of last school year I reviewed and checked their homework every day. I realized as long as I could check their progress and grades that they are getting in school on a regular basis (thanks to technology and online access) then I could see what they are struggling in. They are also really good with asking for help or telling me or their teacher when they don't understand something. Both my children bring home pretty decent grades and I always told them I like good grades but the most important thing is that they did the best and communicate when they have trouble. So far their grades and reports from their teachers has shown that this is what works for us. This also teaches independence and trust. So as I said previously I think it depends on each child and what works for your family.

0
0 1

I have to check my child's homework......her teachers certainly don't. They check to see if it is done but NOT to see if it is correct. I check my child's homework so I can explain why things were wrong and how to fix it. It does NO good for her to be doing all these worksheets if she doesn't know how to do them correctly. Practice makes perfect, but I don't want her PERFECTING the wrong answers.

0
0 1

I mis-spoke, sometimes they do correct it but NOT most of the time. They grade test, which they do just before report cards. Their reports cards are based on the end of the year expectations.... I'm glad to see a lot of posts saying YES!!! I know a lot of parents who don't, "It's the teachers job to teach" but thats not true. Parents are supposed to be teachers too, we're the first teacher and the most important.

0 0

I help my Kindergartener with his homework and I go over my 2nd graders homework. I will let him know if something is wrong so he can fix it but I don't fix it for him. There have been times where I didn't check his homework and he had some and he was very upset when he didn't have it to turn in the next day. Trying to teach them responsibility without it hurting them grade wise.

0
2 0

i think we should check their homework everynight to keep track on their work.in that way we can find and help them in the areas which they find difficult

0
46 238

I definitely check their homework every night. I suppose there will be a time when some of their math or science homework will be beyond my knowledge, but I still would want to make sure they're completing the assigned work from school and doing their part.

0
27 10

My kids are in 1st and 3rd grades. My 1st grader very rarely has homework except to read a story once a week. My 3rd grader has math homework once or twice a week. I check it, let her know which ones she missed, and she corrects it.

0
0 1

I have a 6 year old in 1st grade. First of all, the teacher sent home a note telling parents that the homework they receive is practice for what they are learning in school adn that we should go over it. Even if that wasn't the case, I go over his homework with him and I belive it helps make us closer and is, hopefully, a beginning so he will share it with me as he goes through school. He is by no means happy when I mention that something is wrong, but I believe in the end, he'll realize i"m interested and will support him always!

0
28 7

Yes, I need to check his homework everynight. He has Dyslexia and I help him with his writing assignments. I have him look at whatever he writes and he will notice sometimes on a 2nd or 3rd time letters or numbers that he has transposed. Plus, I sit and he reads to me for 20 minutes everynight. He is an A / B student. We have provisions in place at school for him because of his Dyslexia but it is important for him to be able to see were he makes his mistakes so he can learn to fix them. It is helpful that his teachers are working with him and the Dyslexia teacher that is helping to retrain his brain.

0
6 74

I think we should have to check homework and sign off on it.

0
1 5

I will say yes, it is necessary for a parent to check your children`s homework every night.

0
79 10

All my kids need us to work with them doing homework. The boys are easily distracted, and my daughter is only in kindergarten. My 14 year old tells lots of fibs about homework, so supervision of some kind is a must!

0